IA IA - Jodi Huisentruit, 27, Anchorwoman, Mason City, 27 June 1995 #2

What would happen if they put up a reward just for finding the body? Then let hikers, campers, and other outdoor people know about that reward. Tell those people who are already going to be outdoors to start looking. I bet a reward of about $50,000 for the body might get results.
If there are any mushroom pickers in the area, they should ask them to keep an eye out, from other threads here, i have learned that quite a few times they are the ones to discover human remains.
imo.
April 2019
Mushroom hunters find human remains in Anderson park
Oct 2017
Mushroom Pickers Find Human Skull Near Greenwater
Sept.2014
Mushroom pickers find human skull
Ect..

41 Action News
For the second time in April, a mushroom hunter found human remains in the wild in Cass County.

Last edited:
If there are any mushroom pickers in the area, they should ask them to keep an eye out, from other threads here, i have learned that quite a few times they are the ones to discover human remains.
imo.
April 2019
Mushroom hunters find human remains in Anderson park
Oct 2017
Mushroom Pickers Find Human Skull Near Greenwater
Sept.2014
Mushroom pickers find human skull
Ect..

41 Action News
For the second time in April, a mushroom hunter found human remains in the wild in Cass County.
Good Idea. That's one group of people I never would have thought of. Let's also hope they pick the safe mushrooms.

Reading through this whole thread, I am 50/50 on whether this was done by someone in her life or a stranger who had been stalking her. We know there was precedence for someone following her and harassing her, possibly, with the crank phone calls and also her saying she felt someone was following her while jogging.

Folks have mentioned one issue with this theory is that she was running pretty late that morning, so wouldn't a stalker have taken off if she didn't stick to her normal schedule. However, in this interview with AK, she says this: "She was often late. About once a week. I would call her and wake her up…and she’d be in to work within 20 minutes." Interview with Amy Kuns • Find Jodi Huisentruit

So if someone was stalking her and watching her schedule, once a week is pretty regular to be running late. It's possible he knew this, knew that some mornings she would randomly go in later, and so it didn't throw him off that morning that she left later. Even that close to the Summer solstice, Google tells me sunrise in Mason City was 5:35 AM that day. So it would still probably be pitch dark shortly after 4 AM or around 430 AM. I don't think light would have scared the guy off.

I definitely haven't ruled out it being someone who knew her or the POI mentioned with this case, but I'm not ready to rule out a stalker/stranger either. If it was JV, I question why he would have chosen to do this in a public place (an apartment parking lot with other tenants possibly leaving or looking out their window if they hear a commotion is public IMO) when he had plenty of times it sounds like he was hanging out with her privately alone, even the previous night. Why do this when you could have witnesses if you didn't have to?
Good points about JV. He probably would have done it elsewhere. Isn't there a way they can filter the parking lot photos and make the tire tread marks show up more vividly? If they can use a filter, or computer, to make those tread marks more vivid, they may be able to tell the brand and width of the culprits tires. Knowing the type of tire may help determine which type of vehicle was used to abduct her. The only confirmed suspicious vehicle is the one that nearly struck the apartment manager that morning. Later this week I'll use photo filters to see if I can enhance my own faint tire tread marks. Of course their equipment is better than what I will be using.

Last edited:
Jodi Sue Huisentruit
  • huisentruit_jodi.jpg
  • huisentruit_jodi3.jpg
  • huisentruit_jodi4.jpg
  • huisentruit_jodi7.jpg
  • huisentruit_jodi8.jpg
Huisentruit, circa 1995

• Missing Since 06/27/1995
  • Missing From Mason City, Iowa
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 06/05/1968 (51)
  • Age 27 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'3 - 5'4, 110 - 120 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Blonde hair, brown eyes. Huisentruit's ears are pierced. Her last name is pronounced "HOO-sen-troot."
Details of Disappearance
Huisentruit was an anchor/producer for KIMT-TV in Mason City, Iowa in 1995. She was scheduled to report to work at 4:00 a.m. on June 27, 1995. Huisentruit spoke to a co-worker at the station at approximately that time and said that she would be arriving shortly from her home. She has never been seen again.

Huisentruit's co-workers became concerned when she did not contact them by 7:00 a.m. and summoned the authorities. A search was conducted at Huisentruit's residence in Key Apartments in Mason City.

Some of her personal belongings were found scattered in the apartment complex's parking lot around her red Mazda Miata, including a pair of red dress shoes, a blow dryer, a bottle of hair spray, earrings, and Huisentruit's car keys. A co-worker assisted authorities in searching Huisentruit's apartment, which showed no signs of a struggle.

Witnesses near Key Apartments reported hearing a scream from the parking lot shortly after 4:00 a.m. Investigators believe that Huisentruit was taken against her will by person(s) unknown from the lot that morning. There has been no sign of her since that time.

Authorties have followed numerous leads regarding Huisentruit's case throughout the years, but nothing to date has resulted in any evidence as to her whereabouts. She was declared legally deceased in May 2001. Her case remains open and unsolved.
Investigating Agency
  • Mason City Police Department
  • 515-421-3636
  • Federal Bureau of Investigation
  • Washington, D.C. Office
  • 202-324-3000
Source Information

This story posted in Australia and New Zealand on November 11, 2018. Lots of interest in this case from around the world, yet very little new news. It will be fascinating to see what Payne Lindsey was able to uncover. If anyone sees a trailer on the Feb 15 show perhaps they could post it here. The only clip I have seen is a promo for the whole season. What happened to missing newsreader Jodi Huisentruit?

In Jodi related news..
Jan 13 2020 By Josh Benson
Gary Peterson retires from FindJodi.com • Find Jodi Huisentruit
''We have some bittersweet news to share with the FindJodi.com audience. Gary Peterson has decided to retire and thereby resign from his post at FindJodi.com. Gary is a strong reason why we are here today and why this website exists. His countless hours to the organization has helped build FindJodi.com from a few guys talking about the case in 2002 to the number one source of information regarding Jodi’s case today''.

Gary and Lt. Ron VandeWeerd investigating underneath Jodi’s Apartment.

From looking in silos and trudging through farm fields (yes, with dress shoes on) to working with a ground penetrating radar team in one location and a backhoe in another, or to the time we accompanied an officer under Jodi’s apartment to dig up mounds of earth, it seems we’ve been everywhere. Gary was a solid partner and I learned a lot from him. They are life lessons I will take with me forever.

Members of the FindJodi.com team prepare for the Walk for Jodi in Mason City, Iowa (Courtesy: Caroline Lowe)

''Gary had this to say about retiring from the case:
“The disappearance of Jodi Huisentruit from a parking lot in Mason City and why Jodi was a target… I am not going to spend a lot of my time chasing tips. That is somebody else’s job now. For me, I have met and worked with hundreds of good people dedicated to the same cause. I am sorry JoAnn that I didn’t do more. There was always another lead, a new person to work with in the Police Departments. They are a skilled group of Investigators and have been instrumental in dealing with witnesses and people who believe they are the experts. I would like to give credit to Jim Feldhaus in South Dakota. Jim was in the ring well before FindJodi.com was developed. He was tenacious. May his soul rest in peace. Good luck to Jodi and her memory. All the people that have worked on and in the future deserve a round of applause for their efforts. Thanks!”

Thank you Gary for your dedication, support and hustle on this case over the last 18 years. It was a wonderful experience working alongside you and learning from you. From all of us at FindJodi.com, Inc. we wish you and Gladys a wonderful retirement.

Thanks for everything, Gary.''

Worth reading - re Tony Jackson. But it still doesn't tie him to Jodi, and it doesn't make sense that he would sit in her parking lot for so long that morning. It's intriguing as a possibility but doesn't fit.
The Disappearance of Jodi Huisentruit (Part 4.1): Tony Jackson : UnresolvedMysteries
You may be right. DH and AJ are still my first suspects. Perhaps they could go chat with AJ and give her a better deal in exchange for more information. If she really has any information.

In Jodi related news..
Jan 13 2020 By Josh Benson
Gary Peterson retires from FindJodi.com • Find Jodi Huisentruit
''We have some bittersweet news to share with the FindJodi.com audience. Gary Peterson has decided to retire and thereby resign from his post at FindJodi.com. Gary is a strong reason why we are here today and why this website exists. His countless hours to the organization has helped build FindJodi.com from a few guys talking about the case in 2002 to the number one source of information regarding Jodi’s case today''.

Gary and Lt. Ron VandeWeerd investigating underneath Jodi’s Apartment.

From looking in silos and trudging through farm fields (yes, with dress shoes on) to working with a ground penetrating radar team in one location and a backhoe in another, or to the time we accompanied an officer under Jodi’s apartment to dig up mounds of earth, it seems we’ve been everywhere. Gary was a solid partner and I learned a lot from him. They are life lessons I will take with me forever.

Members of the FindJodi.com team prepare for the Walk for Jodi in Mason City, Iowa (Courtesy: Caroline Lowe)

''Gary had this to say about retiring from the case:
“The disappearance of Jodi Huisentruit from a parking lot in Mason City and why Jodi was a target… I am not going to spend a lot of my time chasing tips. That is somebody else’s job now. For me, I have met and worked with hundreds of good people dedicated to the same cause. I am sorry JoAnn that I didn’t do more. There was always another lead, a new person to work with in the Police Departments. They are a skilled group of Investigators and have been instrumental in dealing with witnesses and people who believe they are the experts. I would like to give credit to Jim Feldhaus in South Dakota. Jim was in the ring well before FindJodi.com was developed. He was tenacious. May his soul rest in peace. Good luck to Jodi and her memory. All the people that have worked on and in the future deserve a round of applause for their efforts. Thanks!”

Thank you Gary for your dedication, support and hustle on this case over the last 18 years. It was a wonderful experience working alongside you and learning from you. From all of us at FindJodi.com, Inc. we wish you and Gladys a wonderful retirement.

Thanks for everything, Gary.''
I'm glad you mentioned that they had gone out and physically searched for Jodi from time to time. I'm hoping someone still goes out and searches once in a while. More physical searching may yield good results at some point. Let's hope it's soon.

I'm glad you mentioned that they had gone out and physically searched for Jodi from time to time. I'm hoping someone still goes out and searches once in a while. More physical searching may yield good results at some point. Let's hope it's soon.

Thank you Woofbark for your post! Gary Peterson did great work on this case for a long time.

Interesting that Ron Vande Weerd (mentioned in the body search article) is the SAME detective who was accused in 2011 by Mason City Police Officer Maria Ohl of involvement in the case:

Who killed Jodi Huisentruit?: Fired Mason City police officer accuses investigators of role in cold case | City Pages (September 6, 2011)

And RVW's colleague, Frank Stearns (also accused by Officer Ohl) is the detective who kept Jodi's driver's license ON HIS WALL - instead of in evidence where it should be:

Huisentruit investigators live with frustration, hope (June 27, 2010)

And while Officer Ohl was branded as a liar and trouble maker by MCPD, they paid her $95,000 and made her sign a non-disclosure agreement:

Fired officer, Mason City, settle federal lawsuit for $95,000 (November 9, 2012)

Speaking of non-disclosure, the information at www.findjodi.com makes clear that MCPD will not release the birthday video. Why not?

In 2015, Former Chief Michael Lashbrook opposed attention being drawn to the case by the Iowa Legislature. State Representative John Kooiker: "Chief Mike Lashbrook insisted that he did not want the letter to be sent to him or anybody else in Mason City.”:

Kooiker: Disappearance of Huisentruit remains troubling (December 28, 2016)

And yet in a Radio Iowa interview in 2015, the MCPD's front line detective on the case, Terrance Prochaska, claims they "take every tip seriously. He says they never overlook leads, even from psychics, and they listen to other people’s theories." Yet the date of TP's interview appears to be about the same time that a State Representative and member of the State House Public Safety Committee discovered that "certain leads first filed in 2008 had been ignored for at least seven years":

Case remains open 20 years after Jodi Huisentruit disappeared - Radio Iowa (June 26, 2015)

And less than 2 years after becoming Chief of MCPD in January 2016, Jeff Brinkley becomes a finalist for a Chief's job in West Des Moines.

Mason City police chief finalist for West Des Moines position (October 13, 2017).

Chief JB claims he “has been happy with his time in Mason City” in the article above, but the International City Management Association's code of Ethics says the following:

https://icma.org/sites/default/files/ICMA Code of Ethics (October 2019).pdf

Length of Service. For chief administrative/executive officers appointed by a governing body or elected official, a minimum of two years is considered necessary to render a professional service to the local government. In limited circumstances, it may be in the best interests of the local government and the member to separate before serving two years. Some examples refusal of the appointing authority to honor commitments concerning conditions of employment, a vote of no confidence in the member, or significant personal issues. It is the responsibility of an applicant for a position to understand conditions of employment, including expectations of service. Not understanding the terms of employment prior to accepting does not justify premature separation. For all members a short tenure should be the exception rather than a recurring experience, and members are expected to honor all conditions of employment with the organization.

And when Brinkley was hired, he said the following about information from the public:

New Mason City police chief coming from Ames (November 15, 2015)

"Citizens are co-producers of law-enforcement services, so we rely heavily on our community not just to fund us but to work with us. So I hope to continue to build on what sounds to me like is already a good system in place here with the department on that and have them be eyes and ears for us. We can't be everywhere, so we've got to trust when they say, 'Hey, something's wrong;' it's our job to figure it out and respond appropriately."

This is coming from the same Police Chief who refuses to call back an Iowa State Representative?

Clearly Brinkley’s lack of customer service struck a chord with others, as State Representative John Kooiker article in the Northwest Iowa Review was the subject of an article on North Iowa Today, which at the time was shared on Facebook over 900 times in the timeframe of just a few days.

Retiring state representative says Bookmeyer, other Mason City officials stonewalled him in Huisentruit investigation (December 30, 2016)

And Frank Stearns quietly retires in 2019 - shortly after Payne Lindsey’s visit to Mason City? He spent decades with MCPD and the only mention anywhere of FS retirement is in an unrelated article noting that FS was hired by county to assist the coroner. No proclamation, no retirement party, no articles. Nothing.

Cerro Gordo autopsies no longer to be done locally, extra cost could be $100K (September 10, 2019)

FS was out of sight until the recent billboard vandalism.

'Find Jodi' billboard vandalized on Mason City's north end (January 2, 2020)

And now MCPD demonstrates more passion in finding the vandals instead of finding Jodi.

Does any of this make sense to you? It doesn't make sense to me either.

And now…..Payne Lindsey of Up & Vanished fame is going to premier a TWO HOUR special on Jodi Huisentruit's case on February 15 on the Oxygen Channel. What will they cover for two hours unless it is new information (or an hour and 45 minutes of commercials)? And the cover picture on the link below is from the birthday party!

'Up and Vanished' Returns To Oxygen With New Season (January 9, 2020)

It’s safe to say the upcoming Oxygen Channel show is going to take this case to a new level – something that also happened when Payne Lindsey became involved in the Tara Grinstead case in Ocilla, GA. Payne and his friend Dr. Maurice Godwin, exposed the fact that local and state law enforcement declined to fully vet leads involving the grandson of a Georgia State Senator, Bo Dukes and his pecan orchard.

How an Arm-Chair Detective Solved a 12-Year Old Cold Case (November 17, 2018)

“…The grandson of a former state representative (Newt Hudson) and another former student of Tara's, Bo's family happened to own a pecan grove in Fitzgerald, the very orchard that was at the center of the town's gossip years ago in connection to the case.”

One of my favorite quotes is by Dr. Maurice Godwin:

Dr. Maurice Godwin (@drmgodwin) | Twitter “All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.”

Finding a working pay phone is, these days, quite a challenge (but that is a great idea, since it would keep the information-givers' identity private).
I re-read your reply and it got me to thinking. The police could put in about 3 or 4 free to use old style phone booths. People could make free local calls to anyone including the police. Put them in areas that aren't frequented by anyone. Let the public know where they are located and that they will not be on video. They can use them to give information to the police about any crime including the huisentruit case. If they do leave tips and want to remain anonymous, police can give them a five digit number when they call. If they want a reward for helping solve a case, they can go to the police at a later point in time and give that 5 digit number. They stay anonymous until the case is solved that way. About once every couple of days they would need to check the condition of the phones.

I re-read your reply and it got me to thinking. The police could put in about 3 or 4 free to use old style phone booths. People could make free local calls to anyone including the police. Put them in areas that aren't frequented by anyone. Let the public know where they are located and that they will not be on video. They can use them to give information to the police about any crime including the huisentruit case. If they do leave tips and want to remain anonymous, police can give them a five digit number when they call. If they want a reward for helping solve a case, they can go to the police at a later point in time and give that 5 digit number. They stay anonymous until the case is solved that way. About once every couple of days they would need to check the condition of the phones.

Great idea, @Woofbark!

ETA: What is the possibility that the evil individuals responsible for this crime would *also* be keeping an eye on such "arranged" pay phones? (Nevertheless, I like your idea. Wondering now how such calls could be... to a "hotline" where some kind of "anonymity-making" software [that wouldn't require Einstein's brain to use it!:)] could be linked to an ordinary cell phone? ::Thinking, thinking::)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back