Found Deceased MT - Selina (Selena) Not Afraid, 16, I-90 rest area between Billings & Hardin, 1 Jan 2020

I am assuming that this green Subaru with Wyoming plates, which was noticed by family members on 01/01/2020, has already been checked out and found to not be involved in Selina's disappearance.

"[Selina's Aunt Cheryl] Horn said family members twice spotted a light green Subaru station wagon with Wyoming plates at the rest stop on the day Not Afraid went missing, and that investigators believe the driver of that vehicle may have something to do with her niece's disappearance."
Search For 16-Year-Old Selena Not Afraid Extends Into Wyoming, South Dakota

If the green Subaru was seen twice by family members, then the car was at the rest stop AFTER Selena went missing. I'm sure LE wants to talk to that person. As the freshest set of eyes after the fact, anything they saw might help in some way. IMO

The whole rest area story is bogus. Left her. Called a Mom to get her. A CYA at best.
But he did leave the other girl there so half the story is true which might lead you to believe that the whole story could be true and Selena did run and hide. It does make sense to me that twenty something year old guys, being jerks and not wanting to stop again in case the car never starts, would leave the girls behind for his mom to give them a ride back.

But he did leave the other girl there so half the story is true which might lead you to believe that the whole story could be true and Selena did run and hide. It does make sense to me that twenty something year old guys, being jerks and not wanting to stop again in case the car never starts, would leave the girls behind for his mom to give them a ride back.

They searched the area with a heat seeking drone, found lots of mice, other critters, but no humans. Of course, the drone would have only identified a live body, that is warm.

The area there isn't exactly flat, it looks flat, but a lot of little gullies, I guess that is what they are called.

They searched the area with a heat seeking drone, found lots of mice, other critters, but no humans. Of course, the drone would have only identified a live body, that is warm.

The area there isn't exactly flat, it looks flat, but a lot of little gullies, I guess that is what they are called.

Yes, gullies, or washes. They can be pretty rugged and because of the way erosion cuts through the soil, it doesn't disturb the ground level much. You can be on top of one before you realize it--I fell in one once because I didn't stop in time, the rim crumbled, and I slid twenty feet down and nearly broke my ankle. Thank goodness my brother was there to help me out.

In a forensics class I took a couple of years ago, they said that often a recently deceased body can be detected because the decomposition process gives off heat. So maybe.

Yes, the area out there is not exactly friendly "hiking" ground. Even if you are wearing good boots. I would think that she would have stayed close to the road, but, who knows what condition she could have been in? If she was even there.

The other gal, recovered, doesn't sound like she was in the healthiest condition. I wonder if she was assessed by a doctor or nurse practitioner, with a rape kit, if that was indicated.

I am guessing, not. Most folks, just don't understand that even a drunk gal has the right to say, "no". The "rape culture" is entrenched in Montana.

Yes, the area out there is not exactly friendly "hiking" ground. Even if you are wearing good boots. I would think that she would have stayed close to the road, but, who knows what condition she could have been in? If she was even there.

The other gal, recovered, doesn't sound like she was in the healthiest condition. I wonder if she was assessed by a doctor or nurse practitioner, with a rape kit, if that was indicated.

I am guessing, not. Most folks, just don't understand that even a drunk gal has the right to say, "no". The "rape culture" is entrenched in Montana.

There are rumors (and rumors only) that a drug dazed, scratched up woman was found in a ditch beside Sugar Factory Road, which is north of Hardin and not close to Interstate 90, just after sunup on January 1, 2020. LE has not confirmed or denied these rumors, to my knowledge. Even if there is substance to it, she was found at least seven hours before the van left Selena at the rest stop.

I believe the reports that the other female in the van got back in it, and left with it. My guess is that SHE is the person who called to have someone drive out to the rest stop and get Selena. "She" knew Selena's family and would be likely to know someone that had the mother's cell phone number. Selena's relatives are the source of the rumor that the other female had fled to the western part of the state in the company of her own mother. I have no way of judging the validity of that.

The area is rolling grassland. The hills are fairly high, but not steep. There are the beds of intermittent streams, which are called "washouts". The most common term for a low area between higher areas is "coulee". When I first came to southern Montana 52 years ago, I would call one a "gully" and people would look at me and ask: "Where are you from?" When I traveled into the northwestern part of the state, I could still get away with saying "gully". The basic ecology is abundant wild gramma grass and prairie sage holding a very thin layer of topsoil over a deep layer of pure clay. The ground doesn't erode much, but in winter it will freeze down to about 6 to 7 feet deep. This has been a mild winter so far so it's probably less right now, but it's still frozen. This particular area is called "greasy grass country". The gramma grass (which is the "bent grass" preferred for the roughs of golf courses) takes on a particularly slick texture that makes for excellent cattle pasture but is not particularly pleasant to walk on. There is abundant wildlife, of all sizes. They are prairie animals, so they are either hibernating, or moving at night and bedding down in daylight. My guess is that nighttime would be perfect for a heat detector flyover because it would be easier to identify animal readings.

My opinion is that Selena followed a washout southeastward away from the rest stop, because it was the easiest terrain to walk on. If she followed it all the way, she would have emerged on Old Hardin Road in one to one and a half hours. More likely, she veered eastward out of the washout and across greasy grass to Fly Creek Road, which is paved. Unless some news breaks of finding a trace of her journey out there is the washout of grasslands, my opinion is that she got picked up on Fly Creek Road, a short time after the van departed the rest stop she had left behind.
All of this is my opinion only. IMO

Native American Teen Selena Shelley Faye Not Afraid Still Missing

This article mentions the other gal, found with scratches on her legs.

"The official story suggests Selena ran off into a field near the Interstate rest stop and disappeared after she was left there with another Native American woman. The other woman was found with scratched legs after she ran through bushes."

Native American Teen Selena Shelley Faye Not Afraid Still Missing

This article mentions the other gal, found with scratches on her legs.

"The official story suggests Selena ran off into a field near the Interstate rest stop and disappeared after she was left there with another Native American woman. The other woman was found with scratched legs after she ran through bushes."

For me, the first clue to accuracy in this article is the phrase "she ran through bushes".
It's prairie. Eastern and south central Montana prairies don't generally have bushes to run through.
They may not know that in New York City, where the reporter is based. IMO

For me, the first clue to accuracy in this article is the phrase "she ran through bushes".
It's prairie. Eastern and south central Montana prairies don't generally have bushes to run through.
They may not know that in New York City, where the reporter is based. IMO

Search continues for teen girl who went missing near rest stop between Hardin, Billings

This article, from Billings, mentions the other girl who was found.

"The car broke down, then restarted. Four people left the rest stop in the vehicle, and the driver called a relative who was also driving from Billings to pick up Selena and another girl who were left behind at the rest stop. However, only one girl was found".
Hardin teen's disappearance looking 'suspicious' as search continues

This article is significant, as investigators don't even think that Selena was ever at the rest area.

I agree with this.

Last edited:
Search continues for teen girl who went missing near rest stop between Hardin, Billings

This article, from Billings, mentions the other girl who was found.

"The car broke down, then restarted. Four people left the rest stop in the vehicle, and the driver called a relative who was also driving from Billings to pick up Selena and another girl who were left behind at the rest stop. However, only one girl was found".
Hardin teen's disappearance looking 'suspicious' as search continues

This article is significant, as investigators don't even think that Selena was ever at the rest area.

I agree with this.

The articles cited are dated January 2 and January 3, respectively and both have the same source, the Billings Gazette newspaper. The are the first and second parts of what is now an eleven part series. I have included a link to number 11 in the series, which was published three days ago.
Tester urges update, more FBI, BIA resources on day 15 of search for missing Hardin girl

There are rumors (and rumors only) that a drug dazed, scratched up woman was found in a ditch beside Sugar Factory Road, which is north of Hardin and not close to Interstate 90, just after sunup on January 1, 2020. LE has not confirmed or denied these rumors, to my knowledge. Even if there is substance to it, she was found at least seven hours before the van left Selena at the rest stop.

<RSBMFF>

My opinion is that Selena followed a washout southeastward away from the rest stop, because it was the easiest terrain to walk on. If she followed it all the way, she would have emerged on Old Hardin Road in one to one and a half hours. More likely, she veered eastward out of the washout and across greasy grass to Fly Creek Road, which is paved. Unless some news breaks of finding a trace of her journey out there is the washout of grasslands, my opinion is that she got picked up on Fly Creek Road, a short time after the van departed the rest stop she had left behind.

RBBM

This is what I think happened to Selina as well - she followed a washout, is still in a washout and has not been found. Unfortunately.

And where I am from, we called these gullys as well. :)

Search continues for Hardin girl as community rallies around the family

This is interesting, as it states Selena is the third person who has gone missing in this area.
Another young woman, was found dead in August, no cause of death determined.
Complete coverage: The case of Kaysera Stops Pretty Places
And a man disappeared last April, same area.
Search efforts for missing Hub Williamson continue

Henny Strong was in the same general area, as well. The Northern Cheyenne Reservation is adjacent to the Crow Reservation, on it's eastern border. Mary Josia Hagestad, Blue Shacaiah Harding, Freda Jane Knowshisgun, Precious Jolie Littlemouth, Coy Olson, Sanaa Blessing Ricker and Zoey Theboy are all Native American women who have gone missing from the Billings area recently.
Photos: #HennyStrong march through Lame Deer
Montana Missing Persons list - searchable:
https://app.doj.mt.gov/enforcement/missingpersons/searchlist.aspx?showPhotos=on

I believe the reports that the other female in the van got back in it, and left with it. My guess is that SHE is the person who called to have someone drive out to the rest stop and get Selena. "She" knew Selena's family and would be likely to know someone that had the mother's cell phone number. Selena's relatives are the source of the rumor that the other female had fled to the western part of the state in the company of her own mother. I have no way of judging the validity of that.

The area is rolling grassland. The hills are fairly high, but not steep. There are the beds of intermittent streams, which are called "washouts". The most common term for a low area between higher areas is "coulee". When I first came to southern Montana 52 years ago, I would call one a "gully" and people would look at me and ask: "Where are you from?" When I traveled into the northwestern part of the state, I could still get away with saying "gully". The basic ecology is abundant wild gramma grass and prairie sage holding a very thin layer of topsoil over a deep layer of pure clay. The ground doesn't erode much, but in winter it will freeze down to about 6 to 7 feet deep. This has been a mild winter so far so it's probably less right now, but it's still frozen. This particular area is called "greasy grass country". The gramma grass (which is the "bent grass" preferred for the roughs of golf courses) takes on a particularly slick texture that makes for excellent cattle pasture but is not particularly pleasant to walk on. There is abundant wildlife, of all sizes. They are prairie animals, so they are either hibernating, or moving at night and bedding down in daylight. My guess is that nighttime would be perfect for a heat detector flyover because it would be easier to identify animal readings.

Thank you for your description of the area. I've never been to Montana, but could picture the lay of the land in your words. This is so helpful in understanding what searchers are up against; a great vastness with potential hazards and opportunities for missed clues at every turn. Time is of the essence in missing persons cases, and it sounds as though any little thing (weather, gullys, washouts, critters, etc.) could hamper the investigation.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back