Will the Long Island Serial Killer ever be caught?

Will the Long Island Serial Killer ever be caught?

• YES.

Votes: 211 43.9%
  • NO.

Votes: 141 29.3%
  • NOT SURE.

Votes: 129 26.8%

• Total voters
I can't get on it either using HTTP port.

Site registration appears to be run by SCPD so I would assume they created this outside of the regular website so a particular department can have full control.

Use HTTPS port 443 and it works. Main stream news seems to have left this out by just saying go to "gilgonews.com". What else is new.

Gilgo News

umm, gonna read the full release but unless I missed it- I didn't see a photo of the full belt segment, which would let people know how wide the belt is and where the initials are located which might be more #$%^ useful than a huge blown up detail of the initials themselves without context. Like are the initials on the inside or outside of the belt? On the end of the belt or elsewhere?
edited to say:
ok, so even on the official website for generating tips: just the context-free detail monogram (if that is what it is) without any useful info like even a sketch of the piece of the belt recovered to show placement. SMFH.

OK- bear with me this may be totally off base:
but I looked closely at the photos again. This is described as a black belt in the press conference. However, the photos are a browny-red color with blue-ish text. The blue cast of the letters is interesting (does anyone remember the blue/white dress photo?) I am thinking there's some similar color casts going on with this photo. Is it crazy to wonder if the part of the belt with the initials (or maybe the belt itself) wasn't found after all and this is an impression possibly on the victim with dusting revealing the imprints of letters instead? I can't find it now but I swear I read that they didn't know whether the belt's letters were painted on or embossed. Maybe this is why? Maybe flakes from the belt were recovered so they know the color but perhaps they don't actually know details like the size of the belt or placement?

but I looked closely at the photos again. This is described as a black belt in the press conference. However, the photos are a browny-red color with blue-ish text. The blue cast of the letters is interesting (does anyone remember the blue/white dress photo?) I am thinking there's some similar color casts going on with this photo. Is it crazy to wonder if the part of the belt with the initials (or maybe the belt itself) wasn't found after all and this is an impression possibly on the victim with dusting revealing the imprints of letters instead? I can't find it now but I swear I read that they didn't know whether the belt's letters were painted on or embossed. Maybe this is why? Maybe flakes from the belt were recovered so they know the color but perhaps they don't actually know details like the size of the belt or placement?
The “what color is this dress” photo that went viral a few years ago, right? I was confused for a moment, I thought there was a case related photo of which I was unaware.

These jokers have to be very careful before they start posting pictures of questioned articles. IN

...... a photo they allowed to be posted was that of the gunbelt stolen out of Burke's car. That picture showed us the belt was for a left handed person. Burke is right handed. Belt was in a bag with *advertiser censored* and sex toys. Some of my new friends believe the belt was part of his dress up outfit when he romped with his boy and girl friends.

...... a photo they allowed to be posted was that of the gunbelt stolen out of Burke's car. That picture showed us the belt was for a left handed person. Burke is right handed. Belt was in a bag with *advertiser censored* and sex toys. Some of my new friends believe the belt was part of his dress up outfit when he romped with his boy and girl friends.

Are talking about the 'WH-HM' belt the SCPD just had a press conference about? Or is it a different belt?

The “what color is this dress” photo that went viral a few years ago, right? I was confused for a moment, I thought there was a case related photo of which I was unaware.

When I saw the photo of the belt - I noticed that it was hand made initials. I noticed that each letter was made by a font of cresent moon. I thought of rock bands of a high school era that enjoyed those bands. Then I thought of devil significance. - You would have been graduating high school just after 1979 1980 to be involved in the alternative head banger /screamimg music. (perhaps wrong genre title). We all liked to write our favorite band names into our notebooks. We liked the font ,we would write other words using the font. It was cool. I would have to be a creative person to want to make my own belt . Why wouldnt I use a store bought belt to wear ?I need more information about this twist, but if thats from the duffle bag..... idk....... Someone can find the font ? Can someone send me a link to all the belt information? thanks in advance.

Good article—NY POST newspaper, Metro section, Jan 16 2020

Upon further inspection of the photo- my guess is that it is on the inside leather of a black belt and was done in a whiteout pen. They look 1/2 inch high, by counting the indents in the raw leather. IMO

Last edited:

When I saw the photo of the belt - I noticed that it was hand made initials. I noticed that each letter was made by a font of cresent moon. I thought of rock bands of a high school era that enjoyed those bands. Then I thought of devil significance. - You would have been graduating high school just after 1979 1980 to be involved in the alternative head banger /screamimg music. (perhaps wrong genre title). We all liked to write our favorite band names into our notebooks. We liked the font ,we would write other words using the font. It was cool.

Good article—NY POST newspaper, Metro section, Jan 16 2020 IMO

Upon further inspection of the photo- my guess is that it is on the inside leather of a black belt and was done in a whiteout pen. They look 1/2 inch high, by counting the indents in the raw leather. IMO

So why would you need to identify your belt as yours? Because you take it off in a group setting. (ie home with brothers, at karate lessons, at a gym, where other people are disrobing.) Not a lot of the white paint has come off. Its an old belt with a teenagers artwork/initialing. Its been hanging a while , unworn. Then has been put to use. Also the initials seem to be WH. As evidenced by the cross of the H. A normal hand would cross the H low and not high . IMO

The last name starts with an H. (WILLIAM H, WALTER H, WAYNE H,WESTLEY H, - a popular boys name starting with a W born between 1958-68.). IMO

Very difficult to say. If you look at the Golden State Killer case, it was before DNA, other technologies & other police techniques being used today.

Although there were quite a few people that saw the GSK & gave descriptions to police, & still couldn't catch him.....of course it helps to be a cop & having the inside track.

He left his DNA at the crime scenes, not knowing it could be traced back to him back in the 1970's & early 80's, but eventually that was his down fall.

LISK from what we supposedly know, or should I say, from what the police are willing to give out to the public isnt much.

No description of the perp, as far as the public knows, no tracing of his phone calls to the victims sister & friend, using the victims phone & possibly a burner phone & smart enough to make those calls from a busy section of of the city during rush hour.

No description of his car boggles my mind because he had picked up several of the victims in his car. (And for some of these girls to leave their phones at home says they trusted this guy, he must have been a previous customer several times).

The perp must have used a VPN when searching Craiglist & a burner when calling the girls, & I'm assuming he used the burner phone from a busy location no where near his home.

LISK, at least the perp for the (GB4) victims is very careful & thinks everything out.

He could be responsible for other murders & maybe he's changed his MO,, who knows but from what we know right now with all the information we the public have, which isn't much, who knows if he will ever be caught.

But that was said about the GSK & he was caught after nearly 40 years.......

Let's not forget, there was a lot of blocking the feds out of this investigation from the get go........

Just jumping in to bump Tricia's post from earlier this week.

HEY EVERYONE,
WE NEED YOUR HELP! IT'S FREE AND TAKES JUST A FEW SECONDS!
CLICK HERE AND SUBSCRIBE TO THE WEBSLEUTHS YOUTUBE CHANNEL!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TXf5vfAv8k
We are past the halfway mark. We need 1000 subscribers before we can go live with something called "Smart Chat". Using Smart Chat to broadcast live will help Websleuths continue to operate.
Right now at Websleuths youtube, we have the latest Websleuths Radio Podcast with Leigh Egan from Crimeoneline.com Leigh updates us on the Heidi Broussard case, Paighton Houston and so much more.
Click on the link and hit the "Subscribe" button and help Websleuths.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TXf5vfAv8k

Thank you,
Tricia

No matter how careful you are there is always the chance something will be missed. For example: pictures of the gym bag weren't published until Spota's trial was over. Most would have assumed there were no pictures because Burke took it home with him. All of a sudden one pops up on the screen. It shows a belt and a holster. The holster is that of a left hand person and Burke is right hand. That alone opens up mountains of questions.

Here's an interesting article:

Sex, Murder, and Mystery On Long Island

The 2010 disappearance of Shannan Gilbert remains a mystery for Suffolk County Police. It has also led a Judge to order them to release the 9–1–1 call she made before disappearing. The police are fighting the order under the guise of there being an open investigation. The argument is releasing the tapes would jeopardize the case.

A lawyer for Gilbert’s family says that’s malarkey. He believes releasing the tape would bring witnesses forward. The public would be able to help break the case of the Long Island Serial Killer wide open, he argues. The lawyer has also hypothesized that the police have destroyed the tapes because it would expose corruption or wrongdoing in their ranks. A charge the police department has not responded to.

Gone Girl

In May of 2010, Shannan Gilbert was out walking. There has been speculation that she was a sex worker, a widely accepted theory. It is also a theory that puts her in the profile of victims of a serial killer.

Gilbert is said to have called emergency services and told them that she feared for her life. She also tried to get help from neighbors, screaming that someone was after her but nobody responded to the damsel in distress. Within hours, she would disappear, never to be seen alive again.

As the police began searching for Gilbert, they discovered other bodies. A total of 10 other bodies were found during this period of time. Most of the sex workers who had been strangled and murdered. All of the bodies were found along Ocean Parkway.

It was the work of a serial killer, detectives announced. Thus the Long Island Serial Killer (LISK) moniker was born.

Ropes Out

Who is the Long Island Serial Killer? It’s the question that has plagued the police department for the better part of the decade. While there have been many suspects, there have been zero charges brought against anyone in connection with the case.

One suspect that was suggested by a sex worker was James Burke. According to the source, Burke was seen harassing Gilbert close to the time she disappeared. He was also known to have an intense dislike of sex workers. What makes this suggestion interesting is Burke was the Suffolk County Chief of Police. The belief that the serial killer had a link with law enforcement would be satisfied with this hypothesis.

Joseph Brewer was believed to be involved with at least Gilbert’s death. The Oak Beach resident admitted to using Craigslist to lure Gilbert over to his house. He paid her for sex but said when she got to his house, she was acting erratically and ran screaming from his house. Neighbors confirmed that they had heard her screaming about someone trying to kill her and did nothing to help.

A new suspect has recently emerged from the ashes of the scorched Earth investigation. Andrew Frey was arrested in November 2019 for trying to kidnap at least two sex workers. He admitted to keeping handcuffs in his car, and police found zip ties and manuals on tying knots in his home. While he is not considered a person of interest in the Long Island Serial Killer case yet, there seems to be enough to tie him to the murders that it is only a matter of time before he is.

Sex, Murder, and Mystery On Long Island

IF ''THEY' WANT TO CATCH HIM. IMO, he has already been 'caught' and that is the real problem. For the life of me I can't understand why the cops never bothered to get Shannan's 8 Burner Phones and her laptop.
I was just thinking the same thing.

Less than a year after two women were strangled and bludgeoned more than two decades ago, Suffolk police identified one of their own as a possible suspect, a former homicide detective testified Wednesday in Riverhead.

In 2014, Suffolk police arrested Manorville carpenter John Bittrolff and charged him with second-degree murder after his DNA was linked to the badly beaten and similarly posed bodies of Rita Tangredi, 31, and Colleen McNamee, 20.

Tangredi of East Patchogue was killed on Nov. 2, 1993, and the body of McNamee of Holbrook was found Jan. 30, 1994. Both women worked as prostitutes.

recommended reading
Double-murder suspect denies slayings

Back then, one of the many men police investigated was Sgt. Michael Murphy, retired Det. John McLeer testified in state Supreme Court.

Murphy was a uniformed sergeant in the Fifth Precinct in Patchogue, McLeer said during cross-examination by defense attorney William Keahon of Hauppauge.

Detectives then were aware that a sergeant in the precinct was forcing prostitutes to give him oral sex, McLeer said. One of them identified Murphy by name in October 1994 and said he had demanded “sex for nothing” seven or eight times next to the Patchogue Motor Inn over a two-year period, McLeer said.

Until Wednesday, jurors knew Murphy had been a suspect but hadn’t learned why. Prosecutors have refused to say why police investigated him and in 1998 secretly searched his police car for evidence in the killings.

Get the Breaking News newsletter!
Get the latest breaking news as it happens.

By clicking Sign up, you agree to our privacy policy.

Murphy, whose father was chief of detectives then, was ruled out as a suspect and has since been promoted to lieutenant. The police department Wednesday declined to discuss the case, or make Murphy available for comment. Previous efforts to reach Murphy have also been unsuccessful.

McLeer acknowledged to Keahon that detectives kept a “cast of characters” that swelled to more than 100 men, and that they collected DNA from 56 of them.

The case lay dormant from 2006 to 2012, McLeer said — a period in which evidence collected from both crime scenes, Murphy’s car and another police officer suspect was destroyed. Then came the DNA link to Bittrolff and his arrest.

recommended reading
Expert: DNA links suspect to double-murder victims

“John Bittrolff didn’t give you a problem all day long [after the arrest], right?” Keahon asked.

“I couldn’t agree with you more,” McLeer said.

McLeer also said Bittrolff declined offers of food, saying he was too nervous and upset to eat.

At the end of that day, McLeer said Bittrolff asked him how they focused on him and got his DNA. McLeer said when Bittrolff’s brother got arrested on an unrelated charge, scientists determined his DNA was such a close match to the DNA found in both victims that it probably was left by a relative.

recommended reading
Jurors see ‘wood chips’ evidence in murder trial

“I [expletive] knew it,” Bittrolff replied, according to McLeer.

Keahon suggested that was in response to realizing his brother inadvertently led police to him.

By Andrew Smith andrew.smith@newsday.com
Andrew Smith has worked at Newsday since 1993 and has been involved in court coverage as a reporter or an editor for almost 20 years.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back