Found Deceased MT - Selina (Selena) Not Afraid, 16, I-90 rest area between Billings & Hardin, 1 Jan 2020

This is so heartbreaking. It gets harder and harder to click the like button on these posts. I hoped for a better ending. I'm so sad for her mother and family. May they find peace. Rest in peace beautiful Selina Not Afraid.

I read that this was a situation where there were many volunteer searchers in the beginning.
The state search dogs initially had to work further out due to so many people being around.
The FBI search dogs searched after the state team but the area was not very 'fresh.'

Even if it wasn't her, wouldn't you think that the dogs would have hit on a body?

Really depends n the dogs training, for hunting I train my dogs to ignore decomp, cos it's not what I am looking for. Could be that was what happened here. They were looking for a living person.
Or could be they were just starting in the wrong place or because so many ppl were about they couldn't search in a way they wanted to tht was most effective. Dogs are finely tuned machines. They get used to doing things in a certain way.
Sometimes a small change in that method can just put them off kilter.

The Big Horn County Coroner is Terry Bullis of Bullis Mortuary in Hardin. He has the option to defer to a Coroner's Inquest, which is similar to a grand jury. He may also assign the responsibility for determining cause of death the new Eastern Montana Crime Lab in Billings, a unit of the Forensics Science Investigations division of the Montana Department of Justice. The lab is backlogged at this time, with several months delay for final results.
Coroner:
Big Horn County Medical Examiner & Coroner - Hardin, MT (Address, Phone & Fax)
Bullis Mortuary:
Bullis Mortuary Since 1914
Eastern Montana Crime Lab (FSI):
Montana State Crime Lab in Billings - Bing

Terry Bullis is a mortician and the coroner of Big Horn County.
The autopsy will be performed by a Medical Examiner (M.D.) in Billings.
There's always a delay for results, no matter which state you're in.

The land is not barren at all, and is not flat. It is covered in thick, knee-to-shin high bent grass and prairie sage over rolling terrain. A searcher could ride or walk within 6 feet of a prone body and never see it. It is fortunate that the FBI has the intensive experience which was required. IMO

If its anything like British moorland where we have alot of low lying scrub that is present all year round that hides all sorts.
I have a unpleasant feeling this case is going to remain unresolved due to other internal conflicts. That won't change unless someone grows a pair and holds their hands up... Which I find unlikely.
Sad that her family seem resigned to the fact getting her body back is the best they could hope for.

Just popping in to see how it's going, ilI see the great Wall of silence remains as impenetrable as always. Would it be the same if it was one of there sons was missing?
This is not a snippy remark, I am genuinely asking. Some communities will go the extra mile for their boys. And I don't just mean indigenous communities I have seen it in small town communities too.
Really? That's interesting because I have usually seen it go the opposite way. Missing teen boys are usually assumed as 'runaways' and are often ignored by LE and the media. JMO

I can only imagine the anguish of Selena’s mother. I wanna reach out across cyberspace and tell her that we care.
This will be the 4th child she has lost?:(:(:(:(....Cannot even begin to imagine how she will deal with this loss, piled upon the others. I hope she has loved ones to hold her close and try to comfort her.

Really? That's interesting because I have usually seen it go the opposite way. Missing teen boys are usually assumed as 'runaways' and are often ignored by LE and the media. JMO

I wasn't so much talking about its handling by LE and media. More the closer family and community. It could just be the way it is where I live. Who knows.

And if she was Hi or enebrated .... Why leave her alone out there and expect someone else would be able to help her ? And I do mean out there .
Her family members said they saw a snapchat of her running from a guy the day she disappeared. She was also in an altercation with this individual. The family does know who it is, but aren't stating names in case it was a video taken out of context I do believe, BUT, the fact that she was left behind with 1 other is strange to me.

Also a 16 y/o's hyoid (sp) bone doesn't snap when pressure is placed on in (in strangulation or even choke hold situation) it's flexible at that age. I learned that from all the "Murder of" shows I have been watching. She could have also been suffocated, had something held over her nose/mouth.(MOO) Those are just thoughts that came to mind.

She has now joined her twin, her brother and a sister in the skies above, my heart goes out to family and friends.

If its anything like British moorland where we have alot of low lying scrub that is present all year round that hides all sorts.
I have a unpleasant feeling this case is going to remain unresolved due to other internal conflicts. That won't change unless someone grows a pair and holds their hands up... Which I find unlikely.
Sad that her family seem resigned to the fact getting her body back is the best they could hope for.

With all due respect, Selena’s family is not resigned to the situation they find themselves in because Selena’s body was discovered. They are strong in their resolve to determine who and what led to her death. Moreover, they are committed to protecting native women, educating the young and insuring federal, state, county and tribal agencies work together more effectively in similar cases. I’m sorry I cannot provide sources since this information is on private FB pages.

The Big Horn County Coroner is Terry Bullis of Bullis Mortuary in Hardin. He has the option to defer to a Coroner's Inquest, which is similar to a grand jury. He may also assign the responsibility for determining cause of death the new Eastern Montana Crime Lab in Billings, a unit of the Forensics Science Investigations division of the Montana Department of Justice. The lab is backlogged at this time, with several months delay for final results.
Coroner:
Big Horn County Medical Examiner & Coroner - Hardin, MT (Address, Phone & Fax)
Bullis Mortuary:
Bullis Mortuary Since 1914
Eastern Montana Crime Lab (FSI):
Montana State Crime Lab in Billings - Bing
Thank you so much for your post, it’s been bugging me all night. This is so sad, my heart breaks for her family.

Outcry over missing/murdered Native American women in Montana county as Selena Not Afraid body found | Daily Mail Online

‘Selena's aunt posted a tribute on Facebook.

'We brought our baby girl home,' Horn said. 'Now she can Rest In Peace. Jackie and I want to thank everyone for helping us bring our girl home.'

She added that she will continue to seek justice for MMIW.

'I'm not done my girl!! I will continue the fight!!' Horn posted as followers commented supporting her fight for justice.’

Also in the article is a snapshot of the Snapchat video posted by the aunt where the boy is grabbing Selena’s hat and yelling at her. I attached it below.

Attachments

• 3B6EF1BD-4C70-4620-A949-0E181AA0F14D.jpeg
    3B6EF1BD-4C70-4620-A949-0E181AA0F14D.jpeg
    57.3 KB · Views: 170
@Janeumayer Thanks so much for posting that just cannot "like" that. This needs to be looked into ASAP ! It's very possible we will all have to join family, friends and the community there in making sure this case is properly investigated . Looks like there are some people that need to do the right thing, even if it reflects poorly on them. I believe Salina's Family is a strong group of people, they need support in this ! MOO

From a sleuthing standpoint: Once again, the missing person is found very near last known location, but not in a timely manner. I literally just read four other cases where the missing were so near, but weeks, months, even years passed.

It's important from an investigative standpoint to find missing persons quickly to preserve evidence. MOO. RIP Selina. Your family is advocating for you.

I wonder if there are options for pressing charges, against the driver of the vehicle, for at the very least, negligent homicide.

An adult, left a child, in the middle of no where. No services available, Selena didn't even have a cell phone, as that was found in Billings.

There has to be more to this story. Why would she wander off like she supposedly did? And she only made it 3/4 of a mile? I'm very surprised that none of the searches had already found her in presumably relatively flat, open, barren land. I guess it just goes to show how difficult it is to cover large areas of land with a ground search.
Sadly this is not uncommon. If this girl was intoxicated, it would have made her do irrational things. It would have also dropped her body temp, and increased the threat of hpothermia.
Not to derail this thread, but, there was a 25 year old woman in NH that met the same results last summer. There's a thread here on Websluths. Her name was Nicole Davis.
Here's an MSN report.
Police: Missing NH woman found dead in river near campsite

Outcry over missing/murdered Native American women in Montana county as Selena Not Afraid body found | Daily Mail Online

Jan 20, 2020

Police said Selena was last seen leaving a vehicle near a rest stop after returning home from a party in Billings. They reported she was last seen leaving a disabled vehicle and walking into a field.

Information from the FBI shared on January 8 described her as not dressed for the weather conditions.

The girl's mother Jackie Big Hair and father Leroy Not Afraid were desperate for her safe return and search teams scanned the area in hopes of locating her.

Amid snow blizzards, her family and community held candlelit vigils and took part in rallies outside the courthouse as the urged law enforcement to do more.

What a sad ending for this girl who had her whole life in front of her.

I’m going to guess that the alcohol and any drugs she consumed at the party came into play in her decision making once the car left her. Once again, when drunk or loaded, things sound like a really good idea that you would never think of doing sober. She probably had it in her head she was closer to civilization than she was and tried to walk. Found herself knee deep in snow without the proper clothing. Couldn’t go on as she got colder and colder. Sitting down to rest a bit, maybe blacking out from the mood altering chemicals in her system. Hypothermia sets in and all organs slowly stop working as her core temp drops. MOO IMO

Rest In Peace sweet Selena.

I wonder if there are options for pressing charges, against the driver of the vehicle, for at the very least, negligent homicide.

An adult, left a child, in the middle of no where. No services available, Selena didn't even have a cell phone, as that was found in Billings.

I seriously doubt any criminal charges apply here against the driver.

Reportedly, the driver contacted a family member to collect Selena and 2nd girl, and that driver arrived within 15 minutes to get the girls. The 2nd girl was found in the ditch, and Selena was nowhere to be found. It was also reported that Selena's own family quickly rallied to the rest stop to search for her.

This is a very sad tragedy. It may be possible for parents to file a civil complaint against the driver for wrongful death where the burden of proof is “preponderance of the evidence.” ( Plaintiff has to prove that, more likely than not, the defendant was negligent in his actions). However, it seems to me that the same witnesses present in the van would probably not be of much help here to either plaintiff or defendant.

MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back