CO CO - John William Gates, 33, Longmont, 23 Apr 1916

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
Original

Missing Person / NamUs #MP24464
John William Gates

Male, White / Caucasian
Height 5' 9" - 6' 0" (69 - 72 Inches)
Weight 160 - 180 lbs

Date of Last Contact April 23, 1916
Missing From Longmont, Colorado
Missing Age 33 Years
Current Age 136 Years

Hair Color Brown
Head Hair Description Receding hairline
Facial Hair Description None
Eye Color Unknown

Circumstances
NamUs Case Created May 3, 2014
Last Known Location Map
Location Longmont, Colorado
Boulder County

Circumstances of Disappearance
According to the "Investigator's Report for Mother's Compensation of the Boulder County Court," in May 1917: "John W. Gates, husband of Applicant and father of children. He left home April 23, 1916 for no reason known to Applicant who does not know of his whereabouts now and has had no word from him since leaving, previous to leaving he was a good provider, and good husband, and kind father. Applicant fears he met with an accident." Family stories include the theory that his wagon ran off a mountain road while hauling supplies to a mining company. The rumors also include a story that he was murdered.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Original

Missing Person / NamUs #MP24464
John William Gates

Male, White / Caucasian
Height 5' 9" - 6' 0" (69 - 72 Inches)
Weight 160 - 180 lbs

Missing From Longmont, Colorado
Missing Age 33 Years
Current Age 136 Years

Hair Color Brown
Head Hair Description Receding hairline
Facial Hair Description None
Eye Color Unknown

Circumstances
NamUs Case Created May 3, 2014
Last Known Location Map
Location Longmont, Colorado
Boulder County

Circumstances of Disappearance
According to the "Investigator's Report for Mother's Compensation of the Boulder County Court," in May 1917: "John W. Gates, husband of Applicant and father of children. He left home April 23, 1916 for no reason known to Applicant who does not know of his whereabouts now and has had no word from him since leaving, previous to leaving he was a good provider, and good husband, and kind father. Applicant fears he met with an accident." Family stories include the theory that his wagon ran off a mountain road while hauling supplies to a mining company. The rumors also include a story that he was murdered.

Have you tried any of the family DNA type tests? Being a member of one of those may match you to relatives that have old photos and other information. That would be my best suggestion on a case of this age.

Have you tried any of the family DNA type tests? Being a member of one of those may match you to relatives that have old photos and other information. That would be my best suggestion on a case of this age.

Hi Woofbark, I agree that would be an excellent suggestion for family members of this missing person to try! Just to be clear, I am in no way related to John William Gates nor do I have any personal connection to this case. This is just one of literally 1000's of missing person case threads I have started here at Websleuths. I like to make sure all the missing persons have threads here.

Thanks for giving your suggestion. I hope maybe some family members of John will find this thread and try that (if they haven't already done genealogical DNA). :)

This case has been intriguing to me since I first came across it about 5 years ago.
I mention this with no certainty, but I could be related to him. Many Gates who live in the western part of the US are biologically related.
I'm not sure how that would help the case, though.
Have they ever found remains that investigators believe are John's?

This case has been intriguing to me since I first came across it about 5 years ago.
I mention this with no certainty, but I could be related to him. Many Gates who live in the western part of the US are biologically related.
I would check with the doe network. I bet they could make some good suggestions on this.

I don't know that they have any remains thought to be Johns, but there are many sets of remains that are unidentified. Old cases like this may not have any DNA (nor dental records, nor fingerprints) on file to compare to in order to identify a deceased persons remains as being a missing person. If you have traced your family tree and have DNA done at one of the commercial company's such as Ancestry or 23&Me, then you could help solve a missing persons case or an unidentified person case simply by uploading your DNA data to GEDMatch.com and selecting "OptIn" to allow LE to look at your family tree to solve cold cases. There are volunteer groups, such as, DNA Doe Project, that use GEDMatch and genetic genealogy to solve cases such as this. A man who died in 1916 was found dismembered in a cave in 1979/1991 but he was unidentified for decades until 2019 when DNA Doe Project was able to identify him by tracing his cousin's DNA (they confirmed it was him by finding a living great grand son and testing his DNA): Buffalo Cave remains identified as Joseph Henry Loveless

WS Thread for Joseph Henry Loveless: Identified! - ID - Dubois, WhtMale Skeletal UP13310, Buffalo Cave, Aug 1979 - 1870-1916 Joseph Henry Loveless

There is a more extensive article of John William and his disappearance in a book at The Long Term Missing
It goes into the various theories (including murder by the family black sheep, accidental death, going off to war under an assumed name) and gives some background on the area and subsequent skeletal finds in the area. The area sounds dangerous at the time with uncontrolled mining and basic infrastructure so an accident sounds likely. Given that the remains found in the years after he disappeared will have been buried with few, if any, records it seems unlikely he will be identified unless he is still to be found.

Apparently the family dna is from a grandson.

Hi Woofbark, I agree that would be an excellent suggestion for family members of this missing person to try! Just to be clear, I am in no way related to John William Gates nor do I have any personal connection to this case. This is just one of literally 1000's of missing person case threads I have started here at Websleuths. I like to make sure all the missing persons have threads here.

Thanks for giving your suggestion. I hope maybe some family members of John will find this thread and try that (if they haven't already done genealogical DNA). :)
Thank You for your reply and thank you for all the work you've done on those cases.

What an interesting case. Back then they probably didn't have large search parties. Finding the wagon would be easier than finding the remains if it was down an embankment.

Count Every Mystery: Disappearance of John William Gates

John William Gates had left his home in Longmont, Colorado on April 23, 1916. His wife had no idea of his whereabouts and had not heard from him again after he left on. When his wife in May of 1917 filed for "Mother's Compensation in Boulder county she had to explain why she needed help and her husband's disappearance. The Mother's Compensation Act was a way for mother's to provide for their children. This was long before social services. His wife believed he may have had an accident that caused his death or prevented him from coming back home. It isn't believed he left on his own. He was said to be a good provider and a good husband and wonderful father.

In the early 1880's John was born in Iowa. Before 1900 he moved to Colorado and was a farm laborer. In 1903 he married his wife and they settled in Longmont, Colorado. By 1910 his occupation was listed as teamster in transfer, his family claimed that it meant that he delivered supplies to miners in the mountains.

He may have been involved in a mining accident or the wagon he used to move mining supplies had fallen off the mountain. Around this time in this area of Colorado there were several mines open due to the need of tungsten during WWI. It could also be possible that his remains may have been found in the mountains later, but they were never identified as him.

John William Gates was 34 at the time of his disappearance. He was 5'7 to 6'0 and weighed around 160 to 180 lbs. He had brown receding hair and his eye color is unknown.

DNA is available, but Fingerprints and Dentals are not.

SOURCES:
Man’s disappearance remains unsolved mystery – Boulder Daily Camera

Attachments

• J W Gates Family.JPG
    J W Gates Family.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 6
By Silvia Pettem |
PUBLISHED: March 11, 2016 at 2:24 pm | UPDATED: May 6, 2019 at 4:28 pm
On April 23, 1916, John W. Gates walked out of his Coffman Street home in Longmont and never returned.

Left behind that fateful Easter Sunday was his wife, Delphia, and their three young children. Did the 33-year-old husband and father suffer an accidental death, was he murdered or did he simply walk away?

There were no leads, his paper trail turned cold, and his body has never been found.

The only known existing document to shed any light on the case is a claim Delphia filed under the Mother’s Compensation Act. Long before modern social services existed, the Colorado General Assembly had established this safety net that allowed individual counties to distribute funds to women who were “unable to properly care for their children.”

In her application, Delphia stated that her husband had left home “for no reason known to applicant who does not know of his where-a-bouts now and has had no word from him since leaving.”

She added that, before his disappearance, he had been “a good provider, a good husband, and a kind father” and that she feared he had met with an accident.

According to census records, Gates, an Iowa native, had moved to Colorado before 1900, when he was listed as a farm laborer. He and Delphia married in 1903 and settled in Longmont. In 1910, Gates’ occupation was listed as “teamster in transfer.” Family legend says that he delivered supplies to miners in the mountains in western Boulder County.

Also passed down through the family were stories of a mining partnership held by Gates and one of his brothers-in-law. A grandson grew up hearing that Gates might have been murdered by another brother-in-law who later served time in prison for other crimes.

In 1916, while World War I escalated in Europe, Boulder County (known at the time as the tungsten capital of the world) kept America’s allies supplied with tungsten, a metallic element used as a hardening agent in steel. One- and two-man mining operations were common, and safety concerns were minimal.

Mining claim-ownership records don’t list Gates or his brothers-in-law, but informal leases on the mines were common at the time. Perhaps Gates fell (or was pushed) down a shaft or become buried in a rock fall without any word reaching Delphia.

Another scenario could be that his remains were one of several unknown skeletons discovered in the mountains years later. One is of a skull found in 1938 at the base of a 35-foot cliff, in Big Thompson Canyon, in neighboring Larimer County.

One more supposition can be thrown into the mix. The day after Gates went missing was the first day of jury selection in the murder trial of William H. Dickens. Five months earlier, the prominent pioneer had been shot through the window of his home, less than one block from the Gates’ residence.

Dickens’ son was found guilty of his father’s murder but was acquitted a few years later on appeal. Meanwhile, an unknown suspect was thought to have gotten away. Dickens’ murder remains unsolved to this day. Perhaps if Gates had stayed in town, he could have provided key information.

By Silvia Pettem |
On April 23, 1916, John W. Gates walked out of his Coffman Street home in Longmont and never returned.

Left behind that fateful Easter Sunday was his wife, Delphia, and their three young children. Did the 33-year-old husband and father suffer an accidental death, was he murdered or did he simply walk away?

There were no leads, his paper trail turned cold, and his body has never been found.

The only known existing document to shed any light on the case is a claim Delphia filed under the Mother’s Compensation Act. Long before modern social services existed, the Colorado General Assembly had established this safety net that allowed individual counties to distribute funds to women who were “unable to properly care for their children.”

In her application, Delphia stated that her husband had left home “for no reason known to applicant who does not know of his where-a-bouts now and has had no word from him since leaving.”

She added that, before his disappearance, he had been “a good provider, a good husband, and a kind father” and that she feared he had met with an accident.

According to census records, Gates, an Iowa native, had moved to Colorado before 1900, when he was listed as a farm laborer. He and Delphia married in 1903 and settled in Longmont. In 1910, Gates’ occupation was listed as “teamster in transfer.” Family legend says that he delivered supplies to miners in the mountains in western Boulder County.

Also passed down through the family were stories of a mining partnership held by Gates and one of his brothers-in-law. A grandson grew up hearing that Gates might have been murdered by another brother-in-law who later served time in prison for other crimes.

In 1916, while World War I escalated in Europe, Boulder County (known at the time as the tungsten capital of the world) kept America’s allies supplied with tungsten, a metallic element used as a hardening agent in steel. One- and two-man mining operations were common, and safety concerns were minimal.

Mining claim-ownership records don’t list Gates or his brothers-in-law, but informal leases on the mines were common at the time. Perhaps Gates fell (or was pushed) down a shaft or become buried in a rock fall without any word reaching Delphia.

Another scenario could be that his remains were one of several unknown skeletons discovered in the mountains years later. One is of a skull found in 1938 at the base of a 35-foot cliff, in Big Thompson Canyon, in neighboring Larimer County.

One more supposition can be thrown into the mix. The day after Gates went missing was the first day of jury selection in the murder trial of William H. Dickens. Five months earlier, the prominent pioneer had been shot through the window of his home, less than one block from the Gates’ residence.

Dickens’ son was found guilty of his father’s murder but was acquitted a few years later on appeal. Meanwhile, an unknown suspect was thought to have gotten away. Dickens’ murder remains unsolved to this day. Perhaps if Gates had stayed in town, he could have provided key information.
Is there a facial recognition computer program that would tell if your photo is similar, or a match, to any other photos on the internet? If he didn't die soon after his disappearance, he may have started another family. His new family may have known him by another name. You may find an old photo of him listed by his alias and it could be a match to your photo.

By Silvia Pettem |

I found out there's something called Clearview Ai that might help with this. It can compare the facial photo to 3 billion photos that it keeps on file. It's suppose to be a very accurate facial recognition process.

I found out there's something called Clearview Ai that might help with this. It can compare the facial photo to 3 billion photos that it keeps on file. It's suppose to be a very accurate facial recognition process.
Facial recognition is great to a point. Look at it this way, my mom had 7 kids with 5 different men. We all look similar as do our offspring. Why? Because Mom had a "type" that she preferred. For 57 years I thought I resembled my mom. Then, I did my DNA and found my father's family - if I were anymore like my father, I'd be his son, not his daughter. This case will be a matter of an older generation submitting their DNA, building out a tree and plugging him in. That would be the only way to prove he started another family - if he pops up in a new branch. If they can find his remains and do DNA testing that too could put the story to rest.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back