IL IL - BRUCE LINDAHL, Serial killer in Chicago Suburbs, 1974 to 1981

Reaction score
Website
www.websleuths.com
Bruce Lindahl, suspected serial killer in Chicago suburbs during the 1970's. May be linked to as many as 12 murders.

Victim: Pamela Maurer, 16 (Thread created by jaejae )
IL - IL - Pamela Maurer, 16, murdered, DuPage County, 13 Jan 1976

Suspected Victim: Deborah McCall, 16 (Thread created by Romulus)
IL - IL - Deborah McCall, 16, Downers Grove, 5 Nov 1979

Victim: Debra Colliander
Victim: Charles Huber Jr

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...d4ad3e-370b-11ea-a1ff-c48c1d59a4a1_story.html

Police suspect serial killer strangled Illinois teen in 1976

Bruce Lindahl: 5 Things To Know About Likely Serial Killer

Last edited:
Lindahl has been ruled out as the suspect in the murder of Julie Hanson.

The suspected serial killer who died while committing a fatal stabbing in Naperville in 1981 has been ruled out as the person responsible for the murder of a 16-year-old Naperville girl in 1972, Police Chief Robert Marshall said.

A DNA check was conducted when Bruce Lindahl’s body was exhumed in connection with the 1976 murder of a teenage girl in Lisle, but it was not a positive match for Julie Ann Hanson, said Marshall, one of the first officers on the scene when Lindahl died while fatally stabbing an 18-year-old man in a Naperville apartment.

The media playback was aborted due to a corruption problem or because the media used features your browser did not support.
Hanson’s murder has gone unsolved since her body was found 47 years ago in a cornfield near 87th Street and Modaff Road. She had been sexually assaulted and stabbed 36 times after last being seen leaving her home on her bike, police said.

Suspected serial killer of Woodridge girl not tied to 1972 unsolved murder of Naperville teen; police chief recalls scene of killer’s own death

Here are a couple of unsolved murders in DuPage County at the time Bruce Lindahl was raping and killing teenagers.
Early.jpg
Patricia Sue Early
Age 17
Reported missing to Aurora PD
August 1, 1979

The skeletal remains of Patricia Sue Early were found by hunter in a Naperville Township field on November 8, 1980.

The cause of her death is undetermined - the case remains unsolved.

Rhein.jpg
Linda Susan Rhein
Age 19
Date of homicide: July 18, 1979

The body of Linda Sue Rhein was found in a ditch near the intersection of Madison St. and 87th St. in unincorporated Burr Ridge.

Her murder remains unsolved.

I wonder if he murdered Linda Rheim or Patricia Early? Both were killed in that county in 1979. I also wondered about Lynda Dunlap, who was murdered in December 1979.

There's also Carla Aliotta in Skokie in 1978, but that's possibly a little far out. I heard of Susan Konrath in 1974 and Elizabeth Drew in 1977 in Downer's Grove, but I can not find very much information on them.

I considered the possibility of Karen Phillips. She was 24, slightly older than his victims' age range, but she was killed a few days before Debra vanished.

@Earth
Carla Aliotta was found dead in Skokie, but I think she was from the NW side of Chicago and attended Alvernia HS there. SK Robert Russell Koppa from Palatine was stalking around the NW side of Chicago at that time, I think. He was convicted of the 1980 killing of 15 year old Steinmetz HS Chicago student, Julie Angel.

Found this information on 14 year old Susan Konrath's case...
Cold Case: Childhood friends seek justice for 'somebody who never stood a chance' - Patrick Ferrell

PS...From the Chicago Tribune Newspaper Published 26 Feb 1978 Page 10
Clipping from Chicago Tribune - Newspapers.com
img.jpg
Mentioned in the article:
Carla Aliotta, 17, Chicago NW side
Laura Ann Williams, 16, Chicago NW side
Joy E. Lewis, 16, Naperville
Elizabeth Drew, 16, Downers Grove
Susan Clark, 17, Chicago SW side or Lincolnwood(?) *SK Ralph Andrews POI
Jennifer Lynn Springman, 17, Downers Grove
Barbara Glueckert, 14, Mount Prospect
Debbie Rosencrans, 17, Chicago NW side

Last edited:
More potential victims (?):

Thread for unsolved murders of Debbie Kozlarek, 17 and Carol Van Der Molen 13, found dead in Chicago, September 1972. (Thread created by Gunther Toody)
IL - IL - Debbi Kozlarek, 17, & Carol Van Der Molen, 13, Chicago, 23 Sept 1972

Amy Alden, 15 Found dead in Skokie September 1972 * SK Ralph Andrews POI
Arvella Thomas, 14 Found dead in Skokie in 1978 * SK Ralph Andrews POI

More information on Debbie Rosencrans:
The Unsolved 1977 Murder of Deborah Lynn Rosencrans - Tamara Shaffer - Guest Author Blog

Bruce Lindahl victim Annette Lazar describes surviving attack by suspected serial killer, rapist

Annette Lazar said she reported her attack at the hands of suspected serial killer Bruce Lindahl in 1979. Had they listened to her, she believes more lives could have been saved.

Authorities believe Lindahl is responsible for as many as 12 murders and nine rapes in the western suburbs in the 1970s and 1980s.

Lazar, now 61, said she reported her attack right after it happened, but police didn't believe her. For years, Lazar told no one else as she took the blame for putting herself in the situation.

"I buried it back in the archives of my brain because some things are so painful in your life," she said.

Lazar was just 20 years old, on her way to a friend's house when she met Lindahl in 1979.

"This guy looked like a normal guy, pulled up before I got to my girlfriend's house and asked what I was doing," she recalled.

Lindahl lured Lazar into his house by offering to sell her pot. The next thing she knew, he grabbed a gun and threatened to rape her.

"I was like 'No.' That's when he put a 9mm to my head, grabbed me by my throat. He bruised my throat. I had marks on my body from him," said Lazar.

She said she begged Lindahl to take the clip out of his gun before he began to rape her. He did. Lazar could not fight or flee, so she quickly thought of something else, which ended up saving her life.

"I decided to flatter him and compliment him, and tell him I really liked him, that he is my type," she said.

The flattery worked and he let her go. She reported the assault to Aurora police, but her efforts fell flat.

"I had bruises on my neck, I even had a red mark where he put the gun to my temple, and they didn't believe me," Lazar said. "I was in shock, I thought they believed me. That's why I went to police, to prevent this from happening to anyone else."

Aurora police released a statement Thursday night, saying records show officers took a report of rape from Lazar on March 6, 1979. Police said the case was investigated and given to the kane County State's Attorney on March 26, 1979.

"According to records, Assistant State's Attorney Rick Todas reviewed the reports and investigation and 'under the circumstances he would not issue any complaints at this time.' The case was 'cleared for want of prosecution,' according to the 1979 report," Aurora police siad.

Police now say three years before the incident with Lazar, Lindahl raped and stabbed to death 16-year-old Pam Maurer. Authorities announced last week that DNA connected Lindahl with Maurer, closing a decades-old cold case.

Lazar can't believe she survived.

"Finally the truth comes out after 40 years later," she said.

Lazar kept the sexual assault buried so deep, she never told her family about it until recently when Lindahl was linked to other crimes by police.

Lindahl died in the early 1980s, when he accidentally killed himself while stabbing another victim.

Years of violence: A timeline of Bruce Lindahl in the west suburbs

Jan. 13, 1976: The body of 16-year-old Pamela Maurer, of Woodridge, is found along the side of a road in Lisle. She went to buy a Coke at a nearby McDonald’s the night before and never returned.

1978: Bruce Lindahl moves to the Aurora area from Woodridge.

March 6, 1979: Bruce Lindahl lures 20-year-old Annette Lazer to his Aurora home, where he points a gun at her head and sexually assaults her, she tells police. He allows her to leave after she promises to date him, she says.

March 26, 1979: The Lazar case against Lindahl is presented to the Kane County State’s Attorney’s Office, which declines to bring charges, police say.

Oct. 24, 1979: Lindahl buys Aurora police officer Dave Torres’ house, property records show. It’s the same house where Lazar says she was sexually assaulted seven months earlier.

June 23, 1980: According to authorities, Debra Colliander, 25, is abducted from the Northgate Shopping Center in Aurora and taken to Lindahl’s house, where he rapes her. Lindahl is charged in Kane County with deviate sexual conduct, rape and aggravated kidnapping.

July 24, 1980: While awaiting trial, Lindahl is hired as a teacher of small engine repair at Kaneland’s vocation school.

Oct. 7, 1980: Colliander vanishes after leaving work at Copley Memorial Hospital. She was scheduled to testify in court against Lindahl two weeks later.

Dec. 22, 1980: Lindahl allegedly attacks a 30-year-old woman outside a North Aurora restaurant after she refuses his advances. Police said the woman identified Lindahl from a photograph and linked him to the case months later.

Jan. 28, 1981: Lindahl is charged with aggravated assault on a police officer, resisting arrest and not having a firearm owner’s identification card. He allegedly aimed a shotgun at Kane County Sheriff’s deputies who were serving Lindahl a warrant for illegally recording a phone conversation.

February 1981: School officials persuade Lindahl to resign after reading about allegations against him in the newspaper.

March 30, 1981: The charges in Colliander’s case against Lindahl are dropped because the prosecution could not proceed without its primary witness.

April 4, 1981: Lindahl meets Charles Huber, 18, at a Naperville bowling alley. Later that night at the Cress Creek apartment complex in Naperville, Lindahl stabs Huber 28 times, killing him. During the attack, Lindahl accidentally severs an artery in his own leg and bleeds to death.

April 28, 1982: Colliander’s body is found by a farmer in a shallow grave in an Oswego Township field. Authorities believe Lindahl is responsible for her death.

Jan. 13, 2020: Authorities announce DNA evidence connects Lindahl to the 1976 killing of Pam Maurer.

Jan. 16, 2020: A Lisle police investigator says Lindahl may be responsible for as many as 12 murders and nine rapes across the west suburbs. Lisle police urge people with information about Lindahl to call 630-271-4252.

When I first heard about Lindahl I couldn't help but to think about the murder of a girl I went to school with in Oak Park. Her name was Laura Howard. In the spring of 1980, when she was only 17, she was murdered and her body was found floating in the Des Plaines River which also flows right next to Woodridge.
I can't really find anything online regarding her murder, so I don't have a lot of details.
I just can't help thinking she could have been one of his victims. In High School we all used to hitch hike a lot, so it's possible she was picked up by him, or someone, and killed.
I think about her all the time, she was one of the few kids in school who was 'nice' to me, I was bullied all the time. As far as I know, her case is still unsolved.
1334339-small.jpeg

Last edited:
Sorry for the loss of your high school friend @Keeku.

Can't seem to find anything on Laura Howard's murder, either. I'll just assume that she was kidnapped or missing from Oak Park.

If so, Koppa could also be a suspect in her murder since Julie Angel (murdered in 1980 as well) was kidnapped from the HIP (Harlem Irving Mall) which is just a straight shot up Harlem Ave. from Oak Park.

PS...
Here's another potential victim of Lindahl...
April Ashley > Cook County Sheriffs
74_459747_AprilAshley.jpg
April Ashley, 16, murdered and left by the side of a road in Orland Park, IL November 1974.

Problem with all these cases is that there could've been more than three serial killers focused on raping and killing white teenager girls on the north and northwest sides of Chicago and it's suburbs during the 1970's to early 80's.
It also seems they may have overlapped their areas of operation.

When I first heard about Lindahl I couldn't help but to think about the murder of a girl I went to school with in Oak Park. Her name was Laura Howard. In the spring of 1980, when she was only 17, she was murdered and her body was found floating in the Des Plaines River which also flows right next to Woodridge.
I can't really find anything online regarding her murder, so I don't have a lot of details.
I just can't help thinking she could have been one of his victims. In High School we all used to hitch hike a lot, so it's possible she was picked up by him, or someone, and killed.
I think about her all the time, she was one of the few kids in school who was 'nice' to me, I was bullied all the time. As far as I know, her case is still unsolved.
1334339-small.jpeg

I may be wrong about where Laura's body was found. It was a long time ago, and I heard about it second hand. I might go visit the library and check some old newspapers. I wish I could find more info.
During the late 70's the HIP was where everyone went to hang out at the time, including me. Or we all hung out together at Scoville Park in Oak Park, everyone smoked pot at the time, and we were young and stupid enough to go with any cute guy who offered us a joint. I never went anywhere with anyone I didn't know, as I, ironically, was raised in a cop family, so I was pretty cautious. Now that I think about it, It may have saved my life. I was very pretty, shy, and blonde, and was always being hit on and offered rides by guys I didn't know.
In fact about the same time as the murders, another friend of mine from high school took a ride, on Harlem Avenue, from an unknown guy to go get high and ended up being abducted, held captive, and raped. She said she flattered him into letting her go, but never told the police for some reason, I think she was terrified he's come after her. She said she thought he was going to kill her.
Now I just wonder if it was one of these two men.

Last edited:
I did a little bit of digging and found out some more info on a few of the mentioned unsolved cases:
  • Elizabeth Drews - On 10/07/1977 her body was discovered near Benedictine University which is on the intersection of College and Maple in Lisle IL, which was where Pamela Maurer's body was found on 01/14/1976
  • Jennifer Lynn Springman - On 10/3/1976 her body was found beneath highway 80 where it passes over state highway 30 northeast of New Lenox IL on the bank of Hickory Creek. Interestingly enough there is an unidentified Caucasian female found on 04/19/1981 in almost the same area (link to site: The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
I keep looking at the unidentified persons facial reconstruction images and trying to see if they are similar to Deborah McCall's but I honestly don't think its a solid match.

I live in around the Lisle area so the Bruce Lindahl news is what has finally pushed me into hitting the local library and joining this forum.

More potential victims (?):

Thread for unsolved murders of Debbie Kozlarek, 17 and Carol Van Der Molen 13, found dead in Chicago, September 1972. (Thread created by Gunther Toody)
IL - IL - Debbi Kozlarek, 17, & Carol Van Der Molen, 13, Chicago, 23 Sept 1972

Amy Alden, 15 Found dead in Skokie September 1972 * SK Ralph Andrews POI
Arvella Thomas, 14 Found dead in Skokie in 1978 * SK Ralph Andrews POI

More information on Debbie Rosencrans:
The Unsolved 1977 Murder of Deborah Lynn Rosencrans - Tamara Shaffer - Guest Author Blog
1334339-small.jpeg

Just an FYI. It's the DuPage river that is near Woodridge. The Des Plaines does not run through DuPage county.

Last edited:
Arrested for pointing a shotgun at a Kane County Sheriff's Deputy?! That should have been enough to lock this guy up for a little bit surely? He had several run ins with authorities but seemed to be lucky enough to escape suspicion.

Were the photos Lindahl had in his possession of McCall ever released to the public ?

I don’t believe they were. It was never ever mentioned on Debra McCall’s profile that her pictures were found in his collection.

There was never a lot of info on him until the DNA story broke this year. I know because I was slightly obsessed with his story.

My dad was friends with the police officer, Torres, mentioned in the news articles. That cop was a real nice guy who was horrified to find out what his friend, Lindahl, was.

Torres brought Lindahl along to my house to see my dad one or two times. Neither of my parents recall anything weird about him. However, after it was becoming clear to Torres what Lindahl was, he informed my dad to “be ready” if Lindahl ever returned to our house, expressing concern for my mother, sister and I.

The neighbor across the street from me worked at the Photomat where Lindahl sent his pictures. She also knew him from skydiving. She told her story a few years ago on Facebook. He went to her apartment and scared her badly. She was to be a witness in the Colliander case.

Around this time, I had a young, dark-haired stocky man try to lure me off my porch when I was around 10. He wanted directions to the park and kept pretending like he couldn’t hear to get me to come closer. And I did. As I was inching closer for the last time, he held out his hand, told me he didn’t understand and that he wanted me to walk with him. That’s when I ran.

For 40 years, I did not know who that was, but was certain I would know him when I saw him. At one point, I even wondered about Brian Dugan, but this guy did not look like him.

When Lindahl’s story broke and I finally saw his picture, I was shaken. I’m not being dramatic. I had never found his picture before. I had not seen him when he was visiting my house with Torres.

He knew my house and he knew my neighbor. I now wonder if he wasn’t heading to my neighbor’s apartment the same day I was almost lured. I don’t know if he went after preteen girls, but I can totally see where I could have been a victim of opportunity.

Oh, and I remember hearing the story, again when I was a kid, about Lindahl getting incredibly furious when my aunt expressed no interest in him, and he either threw or attempted to throw a hammer at her. I’m waiting to hear from her to verify this story for me. He used to come into the Ace Hardware where she worked and bother her.

Sorry for the essay, but I don’t know why I never put the man who tried to lure me and Lindahl together. In hindsight, it’s pretty obvious. It haunts me.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back