GUILTY AZ - Willa 6, Colby 5 & Austin Rawlings 5, found dead, flooded creek, parents charged, Nov 29 2019

I can’t imagine living somewhere where my children are at risk just trying to get to school, knowing this is a regular occurrence with a heavy rain or during a certain month(s) of every year.
Or that medical response would not be able to reach me either.
What was so important that they needed to cross that area? If an emergency - why take all those children?
I can’t imagine living there either. What is the draw that brings and keeps people living there?

@AzPistonsGirl is there a large number of LDS community who lives there? (Ha you have now become the resident Tonto Basin expert.) I understand it’s not easy for some people to pick up and move, but this family at least seems well-off.

The police said they put up barricades that morning after a torrential downpour that dropped at least two inches of water. At least five people (now eight) have died crossing that creek.

However, I just don’t believe most people living there would casually drive through a wide, turbulent, fast flowing stream blocked off by barricades just to go to dinner. Plus the vehicle they were driving looked extremely heavy in the front, no weight in the back.

Did anyone else cross the river that day? I bet not.

Look at what they were trying to cross! This is when it was calm and receded a bit, not turbulent. Someone here said it looks like a river, and it does.

00447B57-73EF-4CC5-8B66-ED4AAEF57A6A.jpeg

Search for missing 6-year-old girl at Tonto Creek now recovery operation

Last edited:
WTF? 69-year-old Robert Petitte died Friday night after his car got stuck in Tonto Creek floodwaters. More divers were deployed to find him.

Eek! He thought he’d just tool across the creek in his little old sedan? This is crazy. They think he got out of his car and was swept away. All the doors and windows were closed.
EF2AEAAF-46B8-47FE-8189-D1838F79C89D.jpeg
E2CF0096-8BDF-49EB-8629-A9B1FF2B6E6C.jpeg
E140D725-9E0B-4E89-887C-CDE1C15DD385.jpeg
Petitte ignored two “Do not pass when flooded” signs. Chief Quayle’s says Petitte may have been impaired.

GCSO: Man dead after car was swept away by Tonto Creek floodwaters

They seem to have reached an impasse over building the bridge for the 1,500 people who live in Tonto Basin.

Gila County Board of Supervisors Chairman Tim Humphrey told the meeting that a federal grant request to pay for a bridge was denied.

A bridge has long been desired at Bar X, but the $20 million price tag is out of reach for the county and was rejected multiple times by the federal government. The most recent denial came just last month.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/new...s-days-after-fatal-creek-crossing/2602816001/

My anger still boils about this like you have no idea, but please know - I have such a sad spot for those kids, and for those who loved them - yes, even the irresponsible parents. This is incredibly sad. But it can be both sad as well as outrageous at the same time. This all boils down to the RESPONSIBILITY we have as parents, period. You want to break a law, rule, ordinance, whatever - then you accept the responsibility that comes with it and the consequences if you get caught. But taking YOUR CHILD'S life with you when you make the choice to break that law/ordinance/rule breaking... I just can't...

May today be the day that Willa's body is found.

ETA: I do not live in the Tonto Basin, but have a close connection to the area and frequent it often. Arizona has MANY pockets of LDS communities.

Funeral set for 2 children swept away in Tonto Creek as search continues for girl

The funeral for 5-year-old Colby Rawlings and 6-year-old Willa Rawlings have been scheduled for Friday at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints at 1520 Church Lane in Lakeside. Family visitation will be from 8:30 a.m. to 9:45 a.m. and will open up to others for the funeral at 10 a.m. The funeral service will also be broadcast at 1401 W. Deuce of Clubs in Show Low.

Searchers still had not recovered Willa's body.

Such a sweet, cute, spunky looking little girl. Poor Willa.

Willa's body was discovered by a pediatrician and his wife, who were volunteering and searching in a canoe.

”He just said she looked really good. He said he didn't think it would affect him like that, being a pediatrician. But he was affected by it. He said she looked really good and still had her bow in her hair," said Campbell.

BBM Their volunteerism is to be lauded, it’s a blessing they found Willa. But. She looked really good? Dead children usually don’t affect him because he is a pediatrician? :eek:

What is going on in Tonto Basin? It’s like watching a more bizarre real life Twin Peaks.

No doubt the parents are devastated, but the dad should bloody well be charged with their deaths, not continuing to rake in money.

GCSO: Willa Rawlings' body found north of Roosevelt Lake

RSBM Their volunteerism is to be lauded, it’s a blessing they found Willa. But. She looked really good? Dead children usually don’t affect him because he is a pediatrician? :eek:

What is going on in Tonto Basin? It’s like watching a more bizarre real life Twin Peaks.

No doubt the parents are devastated, but the dad should bloody well be charged with their deaths, not continuing to rake in money.

GCSO: Willa Rawlings' body found north of Roosevelt Lake

The comment he made, that she looked really good, broke my heart.

MOO I think I understand why he said that. He wanted folks to understand that she wasn't decomposed, and that she was an angel that he saw and represented what she was here on Earth.

And that folks who remembered her, would think of her as we knew her and her pictures.

I guess I believe that, because it comforts me that she wasn't decomposed and her body was not recognizable. And giving the description that the bow was still in her hair, made me want to hug her and cry.

I think he was trying to do a positive thing for the community.

The comment he made, that she looked really good, broke my heart.

MOO I think I understand why he said that. He wanted folks to understand that she wasn't decomposed, and that she was an angel that he saw and represented what she was here on Earth.

And that folks who remembered her, would think of her as we knew her and her pictures.

I guess I believe that, because it comforts me that she wasn't decomposed and her body was not recognizable. And giving the description that the bow was still in her hair, made me want to hug her and cry.

I think he was trying to do a positive thing for the community.
Thank you, I like your way of thinking. He may have been put on the spot and I can agree he thought he was saying the most compassionate thing.

I just can’t stop thinking about those kids and what they went through. :(

I wonder if there was an emergency that caused this father to ignore the warning signs.
I saw a video on a cell phone from a local that was there....the video took place at another crossing about a half mile to mile from where they were swept away, two hours prior to the rescue call of Daniel crossing another barricade almost as if showing off in his “military style vehicle” the video was sent to gila county sheriffs department but have not heard of any charges. I live in the area where this family lives and the go fund me account is only a small portion of the money given to these murders!! I am sickened by the over flow of money this family has been given (during the holidays nonetheless) for killing their children!! My prayer is that they will be held responsible and punished to the full extent of the law and made an example of for the rest of the state that there are accidents and then there is carelessness and stupidity. On top of being charged with murder I hope they have to pay the go fund me account back (at the very least) as it states in the fine print of the terms and conditions that when a crime has been charged involving the go fund me all monies have to be repaid. These people, Daniel and lacy are being made out to be heroes and victims but when someone gets in the car drunk and kills another person are they the victims and receive thousands??? At least the intoxicated person has that excuse they were intoxicated..... what’s Daniel and Lacy’s excuse?? And even more infuriating during their interview the interviewer did not insist on them answering why they crossed that barricade to begin with......” Daniel and Lacy do not want discuss what happened....” a e you kidding me!!

@Justme37 I would love to see that video. Thanks for the inside information. If you can, let us know if you hear about charges being filed against Daniel.

There is a case here in which a grandfather is being charged with negligent homicide after dropping his granddaughter out a cruise ship window, 11 stories up. Grandpa has a gimmemoney fund expressly to pay for expenses incurred during his criminal defense trial and attorney fees! It’s outrageous.

Link to thread I mentioned.
IN - Grandfather charged in cruise ship death of toddler Chloe Wiegand #5

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member