The British Royal Family

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wish I had :D

Yes, it's my professional field of expertise (for my sins!)

I wish I hadn’t! (Health issues). Grass is always greener. I last worked out of a small real estate office and the things I saw and heard... whew... would have given you a lifetime of work I’m sure. It is good to know fellow posters backgrounds a bit to better understand where their minds might be at on their posts. Especially on a thread like this which is a bit less heavy than the crime threads. Well usually, anyway.

This week, The Countess of Wessex is visiting Sierra Leone to learn more about the important work being done to support survivors of sexual violence in conflict.

So that's nice stories about the visits and work of two duchesses and a countess! I think we have space for this instead of needing them to each release things on different days because we can't take too many nice things in at once!

I wish I hadn’t! (Health issues). Grass is always greener. I last worked out of a small real estate office and the things I saw and heard... whew... would have given you a lifetime of work I’m sure. It is good to know fellow posters backgrounds a bit to better understand where their minds might be at on their posts. Especially on a thread like this which is a bit less heavy than the crime threads. Well usually, anyway.

Sorry to hear about your health issues. Insensitive of me, hope you are doing ok.

ETA - yes this thread is great for being less intense. Some threads break your heart

ETA again! Definitely re backgrounds. Because my job is v much about treating colleagues fairly and consistently, this will no doubt affect my responses sometimes.

The Royal Family

Today, The Prince of Wales met world leaders, politicians and environmentalists including Greta Thunberg at The World Economic Forum in Davos.

His Royal Highness officially launched the Sustainable Markets Council at the forum: the new initiative aims to create sustainable markets whilst helping the global economy become more environmentally friendly.

The annual meeting at Davos encourages open discussions about ways to tackle some of the world’s biggest challenges.

I read a BBC article about Charles meeting Greta. I liked what Charles said about him having his sons and grandchildren in his thoughts about the future of the world and the environment. I think that's a positive way for a future king to think.

Yes- it is everywhere. Having the day off, I read the latest news from around the world... Using Royal seems to be in question, and I wonder if Meghan will change her name to her real name of Rachel now too? Does Harry call her Meghan or Rachel at home I wonder?

Prince Harry and Meghan could face costly fight for Sussex Royal brand

In their wedding service they were called Harry and Meghan instead of the birth certificate names of Henry and Rachel, so I think that's a good sign that Harry and Meghan are the names they prefer to be called in everyday life.

It's also interesting that "Kate" apparently uses her full name, Catherine, in real life and that's what William and her family and friends call her.

Oh I agree.

I think MM is quickly becoming one of the most despised women in the world.

In the UK, the title of most despised woman used by be taken by Myra Hindley, who along with her partner Ian Brady went on an awful killing spree in the 60s

Moors murders - Wikipedia

I think it would be an awful thing if the media presentation of Meghan has made people around the world feel more loathing of her than serial killers.

In their wedding service they were called Harry and Meghan instead of the birth certificate names of Henry and Rachel, so I think that's a good sign that Harry and Meghan are the names they prefer to be called in everyday life.

It's also interesting that "Kate" apparently uses her full name, Catherine, in real life and that's what William and her family and friends call her.

I remember when Kate became Catherine. It was when they got engaged and William referred to her as Catherine in an interview, up until then she was always Kate. As she will no doubt be Queen Catherine rather than Queen Kate, the families have had to get used to calling her that. It's just a lot more royal sounding, I suppose.

Why does the press refer to her as Kate, then? That would aggravate me.

ETA - never mind. Just saw explanation.

I remember when Kate became Catherine. It was when they got engaged and William referred to her as Catherine in an interview, up until then she was always Kate. As she will no doubt be Queen Catherine rather than Queen Kate, the families have had to get used to calling her that. It's just a lot more royal sounding, I suppose.

That's the interview I was thinking of, yes. Maybe I remember it wrongly then, cos I thought they asked if she was known as Kate or Catherine, and both she and William confirmed that it's Catherine as opposed to Kate.

There was another story right after that saying that the wedding mugs and items like that (ones on sale to the public) had to be changed from W &K to W & C in recognition that she doesn't use the name Kate?

I think Prince Charles should pay for their security. The proceeds of the Duchy of Cornwall are to support the Prince of Wales and his family. Harry is his family. If he's no longer representing the monarch, he should no longer be using state funds-even for security. But he's still the son of the Prince of Wales so he should have fantastic security paid for by the Prince of Wales. What else is that money for? The idea that it can support an extravagant wardrobe but not security seems silly to me.

In the UK, the title of most despised woman used by be taken by Myra Hindley, who along with her partner Ian Brady went on an awful killing spree in the 60s

Moors murders - Wikipedia

I think it would be an awful thing if the media presentation of Meghan has made people around the world feel more loathing of her than serial killers.

It's a laughable claim, particular on a forum full of stories about female child-killers!

I've still not come across anyone in my day-to-day life who says much more than "good luck to them".

That's the interview I was thinking of, yes. Maybe I remember it wrongly then, cos I thought they asked if she was known as Kate or Catherine, and both she and William confirmed that it's Catherine as opposed to Kate.

There was another story right after that saying that the wedding mugs and items like that (ones on sale to the public) had to be changed from W &K to W & C in recognition that she doesn't use the name Kate?

Yes, according to royal expert Adam Helliker, Kate reportedly asked her friends to start calling her ‘Catherine’ while she was in a relationship with Prince William, just in case they got married and a royal life awaited her.

Makes sense to me.

Here’s why Kate Middleton reportedly asked everyone to call her Catherine | Marie Claire

Why does the press refer to her as Kate, then? That would aggravate me.

ETA - never mind. Just saw explanation.

I think the media feel that the shortened version sounds more friendly. I don't think it's a negative reason behind it. But I do think it's a good example of how headlines can lead 'us' in how we refer to them? Diana was known for a long time as Lady Di, even after her marriage. Catherine is still sometimes called Kate Middleton in headlines, and Meghan is still often referred to by her maiden name of Meghan Markle.

I find that a lot of people in real life feel that when they're introduced to someone who has a name that has a contraction like Catherine to Kate, that one is more of a formal name and the other is more likely to be a "my friends call me..." name. So the media often uses the latter to give a friendlier and less formal feel to our relationship with these people and make them feel more like one of the family than someone more distant with whom our relationship to them is more formal.

That's my take on it, anyway.

I think the media feel that the shortened version sounds more friendly. I don't think it's a negative reason behind it. But I do think it's a good example of how headlines can lead 'us' in how we refer to them? Diana was known for a long time as Lady Di, even after her marriage. Catherine is still sometimes called Kate Middleton in headlines, and Meghan is still often referred to by her maiden name of Meghan Markle.

I find that a lot of people in real life feel that when they're introduced to someone who has a name that has a contraction like Catherine to Kate, that one is more of a formal name and the other is more likely to be a "my friends call me..." name. So the media often uses the latter to give a friendlier and less formal feel to our relationship with these people and make them feel more like one of the family than someone more distant with whom our relationship to them is more formal.

I automatically became aggravated for her because I really despise it when people shorten my name.

This makes a lot of sense. I always felt "Di" was a tad overfamiliar but it was meant well. Sometimes they refer to Meghan as Meg too, but not so often.

I automatically became aggravated for her because I really despise it when people shorten my name.

I'm the other way around from Kate/Catherine. When I was little I hated anyone shortening my name, and when I got to about 18 I ended up preferring to be known by the shortened version and hating the long name.

A lot of people are known in childhood by the shortened version of their name, and then in adulthood they prefer the more 'adult-sounding' long version. I would think maybe that's a better explanation for Catherine, because my recollection is that William said he'd only ever known Kate as Catherine? And sometimes what your friends call you, isn't necessarily the name you prefer inside? So I'd take it with a pinch of salt that she wanted her name 'changed' to Catherine solely because it would sound better as the name of a Queen? Or maybe that's another example of how our personal biases can affect the way we see things lol

I have too much of a migraine to go searching for the video.

I'm the other way around from Kate/Catherine. When I was little I hated anyone shortening my name, and when I got to about 18 I ended up preferring to be known by the shortened version and hating the long name.

A lot of people are known in childhood by the shortened version of their name, and then in adulthood they prefer the more 'adult-sounding' long version. I would think maybe that's a better explanation for Catherine, because my recollection is that William said he'd only ever known Kate as Catherine? And sometimes what your friends call you, isn't necessarily the name you prefer inside? So I'd take it with a pinch of salt that she wanted her name 'changed' to Catherine solely because it would sound better as the name of a Queen? Or maybe that's another example of how our personal biases can affect the way we see things lol

I have too much of a migraine to go searching for the video.
That makes sense. As soon as I got to college I went with the long name. Hubby has only ever known me as that. But many friends I grew up with still use the short name for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88