BELIZE - Alison MacKenzie, 43, tourist, from AZ, Rendezvous Caye, 18 Jan 2020

Her boyfriend/husband reported her missing in the morning when he couldn't find her.
True but someone according to that link upthread didn’t report it to authorities right away. Boyfriend may have reported it to the tour people but maybe they didn’t report it to authorities right away? JMO

Seems to me that the very LAST thing someones who's "scared of the water" is going to do is go cruising around on a catamaran and then bunk down in a sandbox smack dab in the middle of the deep, blue sea.
I feel the same way, as a water-averse person, but in the interview I heard with the sister (7 News Belize on FB has the phone interview with her) she said that Alison "loved the beach" but didn't like being in the ocean. I think a lot of people probably feel similar - they feel safe on boats and on the sand.

I feel the same way, as a water-averse person, but in the interview I heard with the sister (7 News Belize on FB has the phone interview with her) she said that Alison "loved the beach" but didn't like being in the ocean. I think a lot of people probably feel similar - they feel safe on boats and on the sand.
i was just going to say something to that effect. I love the ocean, I love the beach, I have gone on cruises but I don’t like being in the ocean. Guess JAWS got to me years ago. I’ll get my feet wet but I won’t go swimming in it. FWIW

Why would this be d
Here is another quote about the bucket for the toilet. This sounds so dangerous to me - retrieving water at night!

Raggamuffin Tours 3 Day Sailing Trip | Belize | Little Wanderbook
"At night we are greeted by a heavy storm and I am glad Kevin checked my tent pegs before dinner… There is no luxury here, you flush the toilet with a bucket of water from the ocean and there are no possibilities to shower."

Why would this be dangerous? You are walking to a beach and filling a bucket up with water. It's not like you are swimming out to the middle of the ocean, filling it up and then swimming back.

Last edited:
True but someone according to that link upthread didn’t report it to authorities right away. Boyfriend may have reported it to the tour people but maybe they didn’t report it to authorities right away? JMO

It seems like when something happens on a small elective adventure (out of US 50) .. the chain of urgency is different. Family helpless. IMO it starts to get legs way too late.

MOO

My friend loves the beach but won’t go fill up a bucket of water to put fish in - she will stand at the edge but you get more sand and barely enough water - you need go out at least your ankles are covered. Thats where I live - maybe there were bigger waves there. JMO

Just some of my random thoughts and questions on things that have been mentioned so far:

1- In the many tourist photos of this caye, I don't see any lights and since any electricity would have to be generated - I would suspect no installed lights (plus the mention of using a flash light to find the toilet). Jan 18th was a quarter to crescent moon, so not a lot of extra light.

2- Many tourists mention a small food stand on the island with beer. I would be more suspicious if there were mixed alcoholic drinks or if anyone else on the tour mentioned either bad alcohol or extra strong drinks. While possible, it doesn't seem super-likely that she was heavily intoxicated. (all MOO here).

3- I would suspect that the toilets have buckets of water "ready to go" for the evening, but there still could have been a need to fill one up which would explain a trip to the water. However, wouldn't a bucket be missing or found floating if this scenario occurred?

I have no idea the challenges of finding a body in the ocean - from a google map view, there appear to be lots of sandbars and barrier islands/cayes around - I would think the locals would know if she would be pushed towards any of those based on wind and currents.

I really hope she is found but it doesn't seem likely if they are calling off the search. I wonder if with all the tourist boats around, some clues may still be found.

While I am glad the FBI is investigating, seems like a job where the US Coast Guard could have been of more assistance :(

Wouldn’t running a generator be noisy - especially on a small island like that?

Before I go starting rumors- I have no idea if there is a generator on the island at all. Perhaps the food stand doesn't need power and uses grills and coolers instead. I was just commenting that I don't think it is likely there were any nighttime lights.

Just read through the thread here. So sad, and so weird to go missing on such a small island. A few things I thought of when reading were:

What if she tried to go back on the boat for some reason, or was on the dock and fell and hit her head and went into the ocean?

I tried looking at various videos an and pictures of the island to see if there was somewhere she could possibly be hidden, like a storage shed, or water tank or something. Unlikely, but just a thought. I did find this picture of the amenities while looking (link below). There doesn't appear to be too many places she could be

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Rendezvous+Caye/@17.248371,-88.053895,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1sAF1QipMhL3o1GRtRU5uSfi1vVLmwq-XdY4TKq7ubNUX9!2e10!3e12!6shttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipMhL3o1GRtRU5uSfi1vVLmwq-XdY4TKq7ubNUX9=w397-h298-k-no!7i4032!8i3024!4m5!3m4!1s0x8f5d0259a82dbc1f:0xe071e5e4480e67a3!8m2!3d17.248371!4d-88.053895?hl=en-US

I think it's mostly likely she somehow ended up in the water. JMO

I was also going to post what someone else already mentioned. I think it's common to not want to swim in the ocean, but that doesn't mean you are necessarily afraid of water.

I'm 45 and have been perimenopausal for approximately 3 years. May i say the anxiety is out of this world. Out of nowhere hot and anxious. Every woman is unique in their own but I couldn't sleep in a tent all night to save my life. Different body aches and I'm in good shape.
Imo. I was looking up crocodiles and alligators in belize. God forbid ... Her sister replied she didn't like water and didnt drink. Maybe even a rouge wave?!? There is a story of a family on the beach and half the family disappeared drug out to sea never found again. Terrifying. Never take your eyes off the water i hear. Jmo
Renee, according to people search
There is reports that salt water crocodiles sometimes are at the cayes but this one seems pretty far off shore so I'm thinking unlikely.

Last edited:
Just some of my random thoughts and questions on things that have been mentioned so far:

1- In the many tourist photos of this caye, I don't see any lights and since any electricity would have to be generated - I would suspect no installed lights (plus the mention of using a flash light to find the toilet). Jan 18th was a quarter to crescent moon, so not a lot of extra light.

In the photo with the snorkeling gear all piled up here - you can see a TV antenna, so there is some source of power: Un"belize"able Belize: A Day at Rendezvous Caye - Thirdeyemom
2- Many tourists mention a small food stand on the island with beer. I would be more suspicious if there were mixed alcoholic drinks or if anyone else on the tour mentioned either bad alcohol or extra strong drinks. While possible, it doesn't seem super-likely that she was heavily intoxicated. (all MOO here).

In some of the reviews on Google, people mention that they were given rum & coke drinks, and there are photos of tropical drinks in coconuts.
While I am glad the FBI is investigating, seems like a job where the US Coast Guard could have been of more assistance :(

Agree.

I'm 45 and have been perimenopausal for approximately 3 years. May i say the anxiety is out of this world. Out of nowhere hot and anxious. Every woman is unique in their own but I couldn't sleep in a tent all night to save my life. Different body aches and I'm in good shape.
Imo. I was looking up crocodiles and alligators in belize. God forbid ... Her sister replied she didn't like water and didnt drink. Maybe even a rouge wave?!? There is a story of a family on the beach and half the family disappeared drug out to sea never found again. Terrifying. Never take your eyes off the water i hear. Jmo
Renee, according to people search
Public Access Case Lookup You can find her by name and year of birth. She appears at least one arrest with LE involvement due to alcohol use reasonably recently. Praying for her family.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back