Looking for long lost uncle in the US

GD_from Holland

Reaction score
Hello Websleuth members,

I wonder if you could help me out with something.

I live in the Netherlands. I have been searching for a family member (an uncle) for a long time now and my search on various websites such as FamilySearch.org have resulted in nothing substantial.

I am not very familiar with all the various databases in the USA so I am not sure what to do anymore so I thought I try websleuths.

Just a short background information: my uncle left Iran in 1979. He was in touch with his family in Iran for some time before he suddenly went silent. My family does not know why and what happened to him. They tried contacting him but no luck. They assume he has died, but we are not sure of anything. His sister is ill at the moment (suffering from early dementia) and would absolutely love to know what happened to her brother before it's too late for her. It's a very sad story.

As I live in the Netherlands and speak English I offered my family to help search for him.

I would really appreciate ANY advice you might have for me so that I can hopefully bring some closure to my family.

Thank you so much in advance!

Hello Websleuth members,

I wonder if you could help me out with something.

I live in the Netherlands. I have been searching for a family member (an uncle) for a long time now and my search on various websites such as FamilySearch.org have resulted in nothing substantial.

I am not very familiar with all the various databases in the USA so I am not sure what to do anymore so I thought I try websleuths.

Just a short background information: my uncle left Iran in 1979. He was in touch with his family in Iran for some time before he suddenly went silent. My family does not know why and what happened to him. They tried contacting him but no luck. They assume he has died, but we are not sure of anything. His sister is ill at the moment (suffering from early dementia) and would absolutely love to know what happened to her brother before it's too late for her. It's a very sad story.

As I live in the Netherlands and speak English I offered my family to help search for him.

I would really appreciate ANY advice you might have for me so that I can hopefully bring some closure to my family.

Thank you so much in advance!
Welcome to Ws GD_from Holland!
Just happened to spot your post and hoping that others will too- as i am not sure what to do or where to start.
If you know that he is in the US, or most any other country for that matter, and you think he is deceased and possibly unidentified, there are a number of databases where one can search.
He could also possibly be listed on a missing person site too..
A name, age and photo of your Uncle would be a definite help in getting started.

Any idea where he arrived, what state he lived in?

Try the US Embassy in the Netherlands:

U.S. Embassy and Consulate in the Netherlands.

Because of your relative's failing health, they may tell you when/if your uncle's passport entered the US, possibly more?

He should have a visa history, refugee resettlement, possibly citizenship?

Please keep us posted!

Duplicate thread.

@GD_from Holland , I'm concerned about listing all this information about your uncle in a publci forum!

Reporting my post, let's see how the moderators handle it.

Laughing has a good point - I always err on the side of caution with too much information. Having said that, I will try to find some time to see if I can find anything on him :)

Hi guys, thanks for your messages. @Laughing: The information I have shared are all on public websites. I haven't shared anything that is not online and publicly available but if you think it's going to be removed then I guess I have to live with that. I totally understand, of course.
@LotsaLatte thank you so much! I'm new to this site so not sure if we can prive message but feel free to contact me.

Has he been reported missing in the US? That would be the first step, if he hasn't already. The police there will be able to check out those address records and tap into other systems which will help.

Also, when did the family last hear from him?

I found an additional address for him, no date associated with it. There is a discrepancy in the birth date.

Name: Jahan-Bakhsh Nahavandi
Birth Date: 31 Jan 1960
Address: 3088 118th Ave SE Apt P202
Residence Place: Bellevue, Washington, USA
Zip Code: 98005-8152

One thing to consider in your search is that he may have Americanized his first name to John. I do see there is (or was, in the 1980s) a John Nahavandi in California.

One thing to consider in your search is that he may have Americanized his first name to John. I do see there is (or was, in the 1980s) a John Nahavandi in California.

Wow, thanks for this insight. Hadn't thought of that. Would he have "officially" changed it to John or on his official records it would be the original name. And thank you so much for the alternative address. I will just send a letter to that address and see how they respond?

Has he been reported missing in the US? That would be the first step, if he hasn't already. The police there will be able to check out those address records and tap into other systems which will help.

Also, when did the family last hear from him?

No one from my family has reported him missing. So I'm not sure which police department to approach and whether they will give any information.
He was last in touch in the 90s I believe.

The address I found (the apartment in Bellevue, Washington) was old...there wasn't a date associated with it, but almost surely pre-2000. So it's unlikely he is still there. I didn't find an address for the John Nahavandi in California--I searched a newspaper archive and there were a couple of stories about that person wanting to start a taxi service in the Los Angeles area.

and apparently we still have 2 threads!

@GD_from Holland, I still think a call to your nearest US Embassy

U.S. Embassy and Consulate in the Netherlands.

is a sound idea. Finding her brother while Sister can still recognize him would certainly be a compassionate action.

Mr. Nahavandi may have become a citizen, there is a date & location for that, or may have a visa, again dates & locations, and may have entered as a refugee, again dates & addresses, as held by the US Federal government -- represented abroad by embassies & consulates.

Best of luck in your search!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back