WI WI - Evelyn Hartley, 15, La Crosse, 24 Oct 1953

If you look at the maps drawn back then, it shows the path Evelyn and her killers took to the car waiting on the street behind hers. It was believed the killer and his accomplice were in the neighborhood that night attempting to break into homes. The accomplice parked the car around the corner and the killer had been using a crowbar or something similar to attempt to open the basement windows of several nearby houses. When he found the open basement window at the home where Evelyn was babysitting, he struck her, then drug her out of the house and to the waiting car.

Evelyn%2BHartley-Path%2Bof%2BSuspects.JPG
Oh okay. Maybe she ran to the window trying to get help and that is why the blood is at the window!

New to the group. I've been heavily interested in this case for a while. I'd have to say I'm extremely frustrated with the lack of info the police have given about what kind of followup & results they got from that tape. I'm from the area & Vernon cty(where Lafarge is) is a really backwoods county without alot of population & Jack crap happens there so there is absolutely no way there are too tied up in current cases. We'd all like to know what happened with that or if they even tried to follow up with it. With everything I've read it seems this sounds very plausible. 1 other tidbit that could relate to those guys on the tape, the last place in WI known to sell those type sneakers was a store in Viroqua, which is by Lafarge & where someone in that area would go to buy shoes.

Got the book today. Won't be able to start reading it until Thursday when I have off work. Am very interested to see if there are things in it that haven't been in news articles, documentaries, or podcasts.

I was reading old articles today and several times it was mentioned that there were 4 unsolved murders in La Crosse at the time of Es disappearance. I could not find them however. Does anyone know about any of these?

Also what was the deal with the underwear of hers they found, the bra and panties? I saw it mentioned briefly early on but that was it. All evidence from then on was the tennis shoes, jacket, and a pair of gray pants as kind of a possibility. We’re the underwear eliminated as evidence?

Also what was the deal with the underwear of hers they found, the bra and panties? I saw it mentioned briefly early on but that was it. All evidence from then on was the tennis shoes, jacket, and a pair of gray pants as kind of a possibility. We’re the underwear eliminated as evidence?
They kept them as evidence but they never could confirm if they were hers. I think they concentrated more on the shoes & jacket cause they could match them to the crime scene. I've also tried finding out about those unsolved murders & couldn't find anything other than 1 & it was I think a few years earlier.

Where did the whole “Ed gein was a few blocks away that night” come from? I’ve been searching news archives and cannot find a source for this but it’s entirely possible I’ve missed it. All I can find is he claimed to be working on a neighbors farm that night and that he still had family in la crosse he would occasionally visit.

Where did the whole “Ed gein was a few blocks away that night” come from? I’ve been searching news archives and cannot find a source for this but it’s entirely possible I’ve missed it. All I can find is he claimed to be working on a neighbors farm that night and that he still had family in la crosse he would occasionally visit.

Just rumor and speculation, perhaps. I don't think he was nearby, he lived on that farm, some distance away. Evelyn's disappearance doesn't seem to fit Ed Gein's MO. He seemed to prefer women who were much older and deceased.

The judge who wrote the book about Gein stated in the book that Gein was in Lacrosse that night, that's where that comes from. But every report I can find says he wasn't in the area that night & that he hadn't been in Lacrosse since he was a kid & moved. There's a few things in that book that isn't backed up by any evidence. Personally I think that judge was looking for a quick buck from writing a book. He also states in that book that he thinks Gein was responsible for the Weckler girl too & that was quite a ways from Plainfield & no reason whatsoever why Gein would just happen to be driving around in that area & take a little girl. I personally think that Gein being involved sounds kinda silly cause not only does it not fit his MO but Lacrosse isn't exactly close to Plainfield & the idea of little Ed Gein running around there, breaking into houses, & taking someone just doesn't sound plausible.

RIP Detective Sill.

I want back and watched the videos posted earlier in this thread after reading this and noticed something I missed the first time. At about 5:55 in this video, retired police officer Don Schoenfeld, says: "At the time we had reports from down south, the Goose Island area, heard screaming in that area."

Evelyn Hartley Chapter 2.mov - YouTube

I don't remember if this was ever discussed here. I searched the thread for "Goose Island" but didn't get anything.
Anybody remember seeing any references to this in the old newspaper archives? Was this talked about in the book?
From Google Maps, Goose Island seems like It's a county park and campground. Was it the same back in 1953?

A June 1, 1954 article in the La Crosse Tribune did mention a 'grave' on Goose Island, which was located south of La Crosse and west of Coon Valley.

خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

Peterson and Barclay discussing digging up graves and moving Hartley's body around.

"Clyde Tywee Peterson ... dig up graves and everything else [location deleted].
Whitey Barclay ...but the thing is, you hauled her from La Crosse down to --( house location deleted)----and back to La Crosse. huh?"

Link...

WI - WI - Evelyn Hartley, 15, La Crosse, 24 Oct 1953

Attachments

• gravegoose.jpg
    gravegoose.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 14
Just rumor and speculation, perhaps. I don't think he was nearby, he lived on that farm, some distance away. Evelyn's disappearance doesn't seem to fit Ed Gein's MO. He seemed to prefer women who were much older and deceased.

Correct, Gein was cleared in the Hartley disappearance according to the attached partial article. Also, I think the DA at the time, dropped the ball on the Gein investigation. He didn't want to investigate who the other 10 or so heads belonged to that were found at the farm.

The sheriff at the time, Portage County Sheriff Herbert J. Wanserski, indicated he felt that all the 10 or more heads found at Gein's farm were the result of murder when he remarked, "He (Gein) never robbed a grave in his life."

So, there were 10 or more skulls of murder victims that were buried? after the investigation that will never receive any kind of justice.

Also, in the same article...
"Early in the case, one officer said that Gein had been in La Crosse about five days before Miss Hartley disappeared. However, Gein denied this to La Crosse officers."

Attachments

• gein.jpg
    gein.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Correct, Gein was cleared in the Hartley disappearance according to the attached partial article. Also, I think the DA at the time, dropped the ball on the Gein investigation. He didn't want to investigate who the other 10 or so heads belonged to that were found at the farm.

The sheriff at the time, Portage County Sheriff Herbert J. Wanserski, indicated he felt that all the 10 or more heads found at Gein's farm were the result of murder when he remarked, "He (Gein) never robbed a grave in his life."

So, there were 10 or more skulls of murder victims that were buried? after the investigation that will never receive any kind of justice.

"Early in the case, one officer said that Gein had been in La Crosse about five days before Miss Hartley disappeared. However, Gein denied this to La Crosse officers."

It's been probably 20 yrs or more since I read a book about Gein. Couldn't stomach reading about him again.:confused: I know most of us here at WS can usually handle morbid murder invstigations, but Gein is a bit much for me.

It's a shame if the other cases he was involved in still haven't been solved. But, the MO and victim profile for Evelyn is so different from Gein.

I think I found 2 of the unsolved murders.

officer Perry gates in 1900
Dr James McLoone in 1947

In case anyone was curious

Edward Theodore Gein August 27, 1906 – July 26, 1984

As far as the Dr James McLoone murder; Nola Larson, the wife of Arnold Larson, had gone through a recent divorce from her husband, had a boyfriend (according to her testimony) and her testimony did not jive with witnesses at the scene of the crime. I wonder why the boyfriend was never called to the stand. The below article will convince any sleuth that Arnold Larson was not guilty of the murder of Dr. McLoone.

Syracuse Post Standard February 12, 1950

https://access.newspaperarchive.com...andard/1950/02-12/page-100/nola-larson?page=2

I'd rule out Gates and McLoone as victims of Ed Gein.

They dug up a bunch of graves & confirmed at least a majority of everything in Gein's house came from those graves. I personally think it's a complete waste of time & ludicrous to try to put all these murders or disappearances on Gein. Anyone who's researched him knows he wasn't some evil mastermind & was complete luck & denial that he wasn't caught long before he was. Not sure why people are even still talking about this, all it does is distract from realistic possibilities.

They dug up a bunch of graves & confirmed at least a majority of everything in Gein's house came from those graves. I personally think it's a complete waste of time & ludicrous to try to put all these murders or disappearances on Gein. Anyone who's researched him knows he wasn't some evil mastermind & was complete luck & denial that he wasn't caught long before he was. Not sure why people are even still talking about this, all it does is distract from realistic possibilities.

The following news articles conflict with your version of events. Unless the graves were dug up much later in the investigation.

Attachments

• geintwograves.jpg
    geintwograves.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 23
  • geintwograve2.jpg
    geintwograve2.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 21
  • geintwograve3.jpg
    geintwograve3.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 18
The following news articles conflict with your version of events. Unless the graves were dug up much later in the investigation.
News story one year later confirms that only two graves were ever opened. So, I guess we'll never know.

Attachments

• geinoneyearlater.jpg
    geinoneyearlater.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 11
Another November 1, 1952 mystery regarding certain people missing near Ed Gein's land was the disappearance of two hunters, Ray Burgess and 43 year old Victor Bunk Travis. They were supposed to go squirrel and rabbit hunting on the farm property of Lars Thomsen, right across the road from Ed Gein's property.

Ray Burgess had been flashing $4,000 in $100 bills at a Big Flats, WI bar and buying rounds of drinks and eventually got Victor Travis to take him squirrel hunting.

Gein's farmhouse address:

خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

When more bones were found on the farm on May 9, 1960, authorities thought they were Ray Burgesses bones because of a gold tooth which Burgess was reported to have. It turns out this skeleton was a woman's.

Sometime after they were seen at the farm, there was no trace of them and Travis' dog was found in the woods. To this day, authorities have NEVER searched the Lars Thomsen farm for Victor Travis.

In 1961, investigators learned that Ray Burgess wasn't the person he said he was and may have been contracted to kill Victor Travis. The new article below explains it better than I can.

As of Dec 1, 1957, the tentative total was 14 bodies/parts, not including the one found in 1960.

So what happened to all the evidence that filled a dump truck that was sent to the state crime lab? From the news article I read, sometime in the 1960's, money was requisitioned for their burial and the body parts were all dumped in a mass grave and buried. No attempt was ever made to determine who was who and to this day no attempt has been made to identify the body parts using DNA. What a sham of justice.

Attachments

• geinfarm morebones 1960.jpg
    geinfarm morebones 1960.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 13
  • victortravis3.jpg
    victortravis3.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 14bodiesgein.jpg
    14bodiesgein.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 11

Members online

Online statistics