Chase Merritt SENTENCED TO DEATH for murder of McStay Family POST TRIAL THOUGHTS

I've snipped your post to focus on this, because I think it highlights his victim mentality.

We've seen that same pathology, victim mentality, displayed from his arrest to his sentencing. The list of his alleged persecutors has been added to by the day -

His former [7?] attorneys
Trial counsel James McGee - ineffective
Detectives - out to get him
Prosecutors - lied about the evidence, misbehaved
Judge - biased
Jury - incapable and lynch mob
Trial counsel Raj Maline - presumably ineffective
Joseph's mother and brother - Susan Blake and Michael McStay - lied

He is an injustice collector. Summer knew the trouble he was, Joey had caught onto it when he started using MSM, and imo he hated their children by association with Summer. This was a murder that was a long time in the planning. His phone went off and he was in and back out of Fallbrook like a flash. LE did not use luminol, they didn't take the cadaver dogs inside the house, the flooring had been replaced by the time of his arrest.

One of the biggest pieces of evidence against him (aside from QuickBooks, and his phone in the desert) was him suddenly not calling Joey any more. I know the judge said in his summary that there were no voicemails from him but I think the change in call patterns deserved a mention too. It was massive to go from 20, 30 calls a day to none.

All IMO.
Your last paragraph is spot on. That fact, when it emerged, immediately struck home with me. Those two were constantly burning up their phones. And then there was total silence, the timing of which spoke volumes as to why.

We don't know that the blood would have to have been left behind long enough for forensic to find it. If Summer and then kids were killed in the bathroom it could have been easily cleaned up.

And because the house was being painted and remodelled, there were tarps all over. He may have killed them on a tarp?

Havent followed the trial much but knew about the case from when it first happened.

I hadnt seen the theory about them being killed on a tarp but I tend to agree with that because of the painting and remodeling work that was going on. I seem to recall there was one room where there was active painting and he may have volunteered to do some painting to get access to the home. Then as he got either one of the parents in the right spot on the tarp by calling them over to ask about something then he may have killed one of them, hid the body, and then killed the other one the same way. Then the poor kids also.

The tarp would have made for easy cleanup if all he did was club them with a hammer or something.

Such a sad case and just glad there is a conviction and I think they got the right person.

Thanks everyone for the recent updates about this case.

Your last paragraph is spot on. That fact, when it emerged, immediately struck home with me. Those two were constantly burning up their phones. And then there was total silence, the timing of which spoke volumes as to why.

I totally agree. By not calling him, that is good circumstantial evidence against him. If his habit was to call multiple times a day and then no calls after the murder. 2+2=4 and its great evidence he knew they were no longer available.

Its something a killer could easily make this mistake because of course they are a little afraid to contact the person(s) they just killed.

Patrick Frazee made the exact same mistake. We found out that he also stopped calling her right after she was missing. He even did not want to go to her house when her Mom asked him to go over there to check on her.

We have to remember to check this for murder cases. It may only be circumstantial evidence but it is good circumstantial evidence. Really good in this case and in PF's case.

Last edited:
Finally, nearly 10 years later from this family's disappearance. After hundreds of intelligent sleuths.
We have the answers.
I think that for a lot of people. Including me.
Had no idea that anyone would murder the children. Never ever did this cross my mind.
That's so far fetched.
As far as I know, this is a very rare sort of crime.
Right now, as a resident of San Diego, and someone who witnessed in the early days how our police department dealt with this crime.
I have been and always will be disgusted with the cavalier way they handled this.
I'm talking about right up close smoking a cigarette on the McStay's porch with the lead detectives.
They were joking and dismissive.
If Only. They had taken this case seriously.
Bring in a cadaver dog, spray luminal... they would realize that this was a murder scene.
Hopefully, then starting a REAL investigation.
I have angst about this. Not for me, but for the family members.
Because of these Bozos, they needlessly suffered hard, for years.
This will always piss me off.
I thank the San Bernadino police department for doing the job that my police department did not do.
You all are heroes in my book.
The murderer has been found guilty. He's no longer in a cushy jail cell and has finally been transferred to a cold, dank prision.

Until the bodies were found.

It's such a shame media didn't show any interest in the trial. Prosecutors sunk the defense case, but even the trial pundits weren't following. I remember the early days of L&C presenters chatting over the QB evidence and complaining how boring it was, completely missing key evidence about the stolen deleted cheques. It seems the prosecutors now have to explain how and why they got a conviction, and defend themselves against baseless allegations by the whining losing attorney. There was so much evidence, and great prosecution strategy in the trial which moved in step with the defense, and yet it seems that because no one was paying attention the defense can get away with hoodwinking the media at sentencing.

I wonder if Two Shallow Graves will ever see the light of day, and what will be left on the cutting room floor.

Yes, I wonder what will happen with the Documentary too. Especially since it didn't end up as they had hoped or expected.

I'd love to see it, because I think they had a lot of behind the scenes footage with the killer and his defense team. Wish we could see the outtakes.

Just jumping in to bump Tricia's post from earlier this week.

HEY EVERYONE,
WE NEED YOUR HELP! IT'S FREE AND TAKES JUST A FEW SECONDS!
CLICK HERE AND SUBSCRIBE TO THE WEBSLEUTHS YOUTUBE CHANNEL!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TXf5vfAv8k
We are past the halfway mark. We need 1000 subscribers before we can go live with something called "Smart Chat". Using Smart Chat to broadcast live will help Websleuths continue to operate.
Right now at Websleuths youtube, we have the latest Websleuths Radio Podcast with Leigh Egan from Crimeoneline.com Leigh updates us on the Heidi Broussard case, Paighton Houston and so much more.
Click on the link and hit the "Subscribe" button and help Websleuths.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TXf5vfAv8k

Thank you,
Tricia

Yes, I wonder what will happen with the Documentary too. Especially since it didn't end up as they had hoped or expected.

I'd love to see it, because I think they had a lot of behind the scenes footage with the killer and his defense team. Wish we could see the outtakes.

In the presser after the sentencing, the media was fixated on why the DNA profiles were not run through CODIS. This will always be an issue that hasn't been satisfied by the prosecution's explanations.

In the presser after the sentencing, the media was fixated on why the DNA profiles were not run through CODIS. This will always be an issue that hasn't been satisfied by the prosecution's explanations.

Judge Smith shot the defence down on this point.

He who asserts must prove. This is a full murder trial conducted over many months with much expert testimony on both sides.

You can't just wander into Court after the verdict and launch into some wild speculation about how the prosecution refused to run CODIS.

You need to produce into the Court the evidence that supports your contention e.g.

what are the CODIS protocols?
did you comply with them?
what efforts did you make to get it run?
how did you go about complying with the CODIS regulations?

As Judge Smith indicated the appropriate forum would be a hearing with all the relevant experts from defence lab, FBI and prosecution. But on his feet before the Judge, Dougherty indicated that for CODIS to be run, the onus is essentially on the private lab to meet the FBIs requirements. In other words, the FBI management of CODIS is nothing to do with the prosecutors office!

McGee obviously could have requested a hearing on all this right back in the day but decided not to. ;)

Smoke and mirrors

I think what is important is that the defense brought this to the jury's attention before they deliberated and the jurors decided that it was not relevant to the murders. It's not new evidence, it's not hidden evidence, they had their trial and the jury resolved the conflicting evidence.

The jury knew processing the results in codis might potentially bring back up to 11 profiles, excluding Merritt and the four victims, and that in their final analysis Merritt murdered them. They were so sure they recommended death, which they didn't have to do if they had lingering doubt. They showed their careful and intelligent consideration and analysis by not accepting the special circumstances required for the death penalty were proven BRD for Joey's murder.

MOO

Judge Smith shot the defence down on this point.

He who asserts must prove. This is a full murder trial conducted over many months with much expert testimony on both sides.

You can't just wander into Court after the verdict and launch into some wild speculation about how the prosecution refused to run CODIS.

You need to produce into the Court the evidence that supports your contention e.g.

what are the CODIS protocols?
did you comply with them?
what efforts did you make to get it run?
how did you go about complying with the CODIS regulations?

As Judge Smith indicated the appropriate forum would be a hearing with all the relevant experts from defence lab, FBI and prosecution. But on his feet before the Judge, Dougherty indicated that for CODIS to be run, the onus is essentially on the private lab to meet the FBIs requirements. In other words, the FBI management of CODIS is nothing to do with the prosecutors office!

McGee obviously could have requested a hearing on all this right back in the day but decided not to. ;)

Smoke and mirrors
This DNA that could have been deposited by anyone at any given time before the murders. Knowing the identity of the (partial) profiles does not fill in any blanks, it would be proof to murder. An accomplice possibly. 11 accomplices? Why did the defense choose to M-vac the bra cups, the cord but not the actual murder weapon? CONFIRMATION BIAS.

This DNA that could have been deposited by anyone at any given time before the murders. Knowing the identity of the (partial) profiles does not fill in any blanks, it would be proof to murder. An accomplice possibly. 11 accomplices? Why did the defense choose to M-vac the bra cups, the cord but not the actual murder weapon? CONFIRMATION BIAS.
*That should read “wouldn’t be proof to the murderer”.

The defence haven't even produced any proof of their allegation that the state obstructed CODIS or that you can even run these "profiles" on the FBI system. As Dougherty said, it appears a private lab can enter into a memorandum of understanding with the FBI, involving a QA process including site visit. So its seems likely the responsibility for all this lay with the defence to jump through the FBI hoops. This is another conspiracy theory.

As to the supposed substance, I wonder if there are any partial profiles at all, or whether these are essentially artifacts created by the models.

With the modelling, you tell the model how many profiles you think are mixed up in there as part of your assumptions.

So when they say they are 4 profiles in the sample - that is what the scientist actually told the model to assume.

You can see how this is useful trying to rule known profiles in or out.

e.g. can the machine find Summer or Chase? That is probative. You know Summer was present. If you can find Chase in the noise, it makes it likely he is the killer.

Not finding Chase is also meaningful (including meaning the DNA is too degraded)

But what they have done may well have been to create some "noise" that is not anyone at all. I am quite suspicious that this is why they did not seriously pursue CODIS or indeed check the murder weapon like you say

T is also correct that the Jury considered all of this.

Here's the FBI fact sheet link on CODIS and it answers lots of questions:
CODIS and NDIS Fact Sheet | Federal Bureau of Investigation

And according to this older article on the trial - if the DNA data/profiles were suitable for comparison to a known DNA sample - they (Bode Tech) "would have submitted the data." So I'm assuming this means if there had actually been enough data that Bode would have submitted the results to the state crime lab and then they could have submitted to CODIS. But there was not enough DNA/data.
Defense’s Showing Of DNA Evidence Tests Envelope Of Jury’s Comprehension | SBCSentinel

From Bode Tech website:
FAQs | Bode Technology
Private laboratories like Bode Cellmark do not have the ability to upload profiles to CODIS. However, we routinely provide state labs with the relevant data that enables profiles generated at Bode Technology to be uploaded to CODIS by the relevant agency.

And of course, then the defense sent items after that to Cybergenetics for their convoluted "interpretations."

Bottom line - there wasn't enough DNA or data to determine any real profiles from the McStay graves - PERIOD!

Last edited:
Where is Merritt's new San Quentin mugshot?
xy3k8q.png

And he doesn't even show up as a prisoner at San Quentin?
Scott Peterson shows up. But his mugshot isn't on there.

I would delight in seeing a mugshot of Merritt in "CONDEMNED" prison clothing.

Where is Merritt's new San Quentin mugshot?
xy3k8q.png

And he doesn't even show up as a prisoner at San Quentin?
Scott Peterson shows up. But his mugshot isn't on there.

I would delight in seeing a mugshot of Merritt in "CONDEMNED" prison clothing.
There is a processing and assessment period that takes awhile, about 30 days. You can research what the procedures are at San Quentin online, or one of the other forum members might know general information offhand.

I read on the San Quentin website that Merritt will first go to the "Adjustment Center" for processing at San Quentin. LOL It's going to be a mighty big adjustment for sure. :)

San Quentin | Death Row | Condemned Men | Adjustment Center | Metroactive
Attitude Adjustment

The Adjustment Center, a 102-cell facility built in 1960, is the solitary-confinement tier of San Quentin and most restrictive housing in the prison—and possibly the state.

"A/C" is home to the worst of the worst offenders, not all of them condemned, though about 80 percent are. It's a self-contained prison within a prison, and the guards aren't even allowed out once they check in for their shifts. It's the deepest hole to be found in San Quentin.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back