Coronavirus Global Health Emergency, 2019-nCoV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill Gates 'predicted' coronavirus as simulation suggests 65m could die
“BILL Gates “predicted” a super-virus pandemicbreaking out in China that could kill 33 million people around the world in the first six months.

The Microsoft tycoon warned the world was at risk from super-pathogens spreading quickly across our planet — and that we should prepare for this as we would for war.”
(Simulator is scary)

I’ve been able to find basic masks (albeit limited supplies). But the respirator N95’s that actually filter pathogens? Nada. Here is an article for alternatives: (not stating this is foolproof from virus protection but an improvement)

4 effective alternatives if you don’t have an N95 mask

MOO: just knowing that 5 million people left the epicenter, each potentially hosting the virus, is alarming. Knowing the two week window of being asymptomatic? The numbers are bound to get higher and more people are going to be infected and die.

Wash your hands, frequently and be safe.

What difference would it make if the mayor resigned? Maybe he just wants the heck out of there.
rbbm.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...34db9a-40a7-11ea-aa6a-083d01b3ed18_story.html
''Jan. 27, 2020 at 10:41 a.m. EST
Even as China takes more stringent measures to limit the movement of the vast country’s population during the biggest travel period of the year, there are increasing fears that the quarantine will not be enough to stop the spread of the new coronavirus, which so far has infected at least 2,800 people in China and killed 81. Here’s what we know:

● With 81 dead so far, Beijing has broadened the extraordinary quarantine to more than 50 million people, but the mayor of Wuhan, the outbreak’s epicenter, said 5 million people have already left his city.

Wuhan’s mayor admitted that the city did not release information about the virus in a timely manner but hinted that it was prevented from doing so by central authorities.

● China’s health minister said the coronavirus is increasing in virulence and now could be contagious even before people exhibit symptoms, making apparently healthy people possible carriers.

● A scientific assessment of the spread of the disease, assuming an optimistic 90 percent quarantine, still predicted more than 59,000 infections and 1,500 deaths — twice the toll of the 2002-2003 SARS outbreak.''

''Indian students in Wuhan describe ‘ghost town’ atmosphere
NEW DELHI — Monika Sethuraman, a PhD student from India, described Wuhan as a “ghost town” when she stepped out of her university dormitory for the first time in four days Monday to stock up on supplies.

She bought vegetables to last for three weeks, since it was not clear how long the lockdown would last. She said the university has asked students to remain confined to their rooms and distributed thermometers.

“Every day before noon, we have to check our temperature and register it on a university portal,“she said.

Debesh Mitra, a postdoctoral scientist at another university in the city, said more than 200 Indians were “stuck” in Wuhan. He described the situation as “grim.”

He said he had avoided leaving the campus for fear of contracting the virus.

“We really want to come back [to India] at the earliest,” he said. “All our families are very worried.”

...I am no longer going to worry about strangers thinking I’m weird for wearing a mask and gloves when I have to go out in public. They can think I’m “ over reacting” or paranoid. We are encouraged to practice preventative healthcare, this would be one place to start.
Possible SIXTH case of coronavirus is suspected in Pennsylvania | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:
Jan 27 2020 rbbm.
BRAUN: The time to act on coronavirus was yesterday
''It’s time to stop reacting after the fact and get in front of this looming crisis.''

''Reports of the second patient’s “self-isolation” are no doubt positive, but as the Chinese have seen fit to shut down 17 cities and effectively quarantine 50 million people, is the polite Canadian way of self-reporting and reassuring words really enough?

According to Doris Grinspun, head of the Registered Nurses Association of Ontario (RNAO,) the time has come to apply the precautionary principle — to be proactive now, rather than wait for more people to develop symptoms.''

According to Grinspun, being proactive means that every single passenger on last week’s China Southern flight 311 should have been contacted, asked to stay home and told what symptoms to watch for.''

“We know there’s an issue on that specific flight — and not just the first three rows or the last three rows — people use the same washrooms, and so forth.

“So we must follow up with the phone call with every single one of those people, and ask, ‘Do you have symptoms?’ and if they do they must be tested.”

“And there must be sufficient protective gear for everybody who is taking care of people with symptoms, checking them or carrying them to hospital. Everyone needs to be well protected.”

So is it time for airline personnel or Canadian border staff to wear masks?

“In my view, yes,” says Grinspun.''

We have to do a fit test annually at work with the N-95s. So I would assume if one is not wearing the correct size it may not work as it’s supposed to anyway.

We always have N-95 masks on hand for home improvement projects. I just checked to be sure. Although I can’t imagine running around with a mask on.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...60b1_story.html#click=https://t.co/ZCGMiHE1W3
... “The Chinese central government said it is mustering manufacturers to send 100,000 hazardous-materials suits and millions of face masks to Wuhan, where hospitals reported a shortage of beds and doctors collapsing from exhaustion. Videos on social media from Wuhan hospitals showed patient queues stretching around the block and nurses worrying that the true number of cases — based on what they were witnessing — far exceeded what was being officially reported.”

Repeat: ordering 100k hazmat suits and millions of masks for Wuhan alone...

I’m going to have to go Douglas Adams and hope this is the answer
giphy.gif

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/coronavirus-wuhan-ontario-second-case-1.5441401
Jan 27, 2020
''Another 19 people in the province are also under investigation for possible infection, said Dr. David Williams, Ontario's chief medical officer.''

''The agency is also awaiting test results for the 19 people under investigation, while the illness was ruled out in the cases of 15 others, said Dr. Barbara Yaffe, associate chief medical officer of health in Ontario. The "vast majority" of the 19 people under investigation are currently in hospital and in isolation, she continued.

"We're being extra, extra cautious about this," Yaffe said.''
''The trio couldn't say whether any of the 19 people who might have the virus were on the same flight back to Toronto as the husband and wife.''

"Global spread appears inevitable. So too are the emergence of outbreaks in the U.S.... We shouldn’t have undue panic. But we need to be ready."

-Former US FDA commissioner

"FOLKS— I say it’s high time that WHO finally declares an EMERGENCY ASAP for #coronavirus. Last Thursday Jan 23rd when WHO punted, there wasn’t much data. Since then, a ground swell of data all point to an impending global pandemic. Top experts agree. Let’s make WHO hear it!"

"Overwhelming #coronavirus data suggests: A- High R0 between 2.6-2.9 (best sources). B- Has “higher pandemic risk than SARS”. C- Contagious even w/out symptoms (unlike SARS). D- Cases increasing rapidly overseas. E- Countries need time to prepare. @WHO needs to declare now!"

- Dr. Eric Feigl-Ding (health economist, epidemiologist, and nutrition scientist at the Harvard Chan School of Public Health, and an expert advisor to the World Health Organization.)

@Medstudies

Premier Li Keqiang is wearing the protectective suit.
You need da suit M.

How do you quarantine or dispose of gloves, mask, and protective suits?
Create a protocol within your home?

Add: And you'll need boots?
(The boots could be cute, though)

Last edited:
Hmmm. @Tadpole12

Hypothetically: full protocol mode:

I’m showering and changing clothes (immediately putting them in the wash) after coming home. as would family members.

any item brought into the home would be wiped down with disinfectants. Washing hands thoroughly after that.

The problem is, I have no way of knowing my spouse will adhere to being proactive and wearing masks/shield while out.

(I’ve seen so many images of people not wearing proper masks or incorrectly wearing them. Or their eyes are exposed... I think we all know that the paper masks are to keep the wearers germs to themselves. -which is a start.)

two weeks from now, he may exhibit symptoms at home...

so, in other words, unless I wear full gear 24/7 until this is fully contained: I could be SOL

unless I can talk him into working from home and self quarantining until this is over...

that would be the best solution. Eta: all items should be discarded as biohazard protocol. (Red bio bags)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...60b1_story.html#click=https://t.co/ZCGMiHE1W3
... “The Chinese central government said it is mustering manufacturers to send 100,000 hazardous-materials suits and millions of face masks to Wuhan, where hospitals reported a shortage of beds and doctors collapsing from exhaustion. Videos on social media from Wuhan hospitals showed patient queues stretching around the block and nurses worrying that the true number of cases — based on what they were witnessing — far exceeded what was being officially reported.”

Repeat: ordering 100k hazmat suits and millions of masks for Wuhan alone...

I’m going to have to go Douglas Adams and hope this is the answer
And grab your towel-

We need to prepare for US outbreak of Wuhan coronavirus
*The epidemic in China is likely much broader than official statistics currently suggest.
*A lot of mild cases probably remain unrecognized.
*Global spread appears inevitable. So too are the emergence of outbreaks in the U.S.

Op-ed: We need to prepare for US outbreak of Wuhan coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member