GUILTY NY - Kelly Owen, 27, found strangled in parent's Long Island home, 16 Jan 2020 *Arrest*

BC they were legally separated, she was still eligible to be on his health insurance, but he refused to place her on it. She informed him in early Jan that she was pregnant. He has been living with another woman.

Better to murder her rather than pay support for another child and put her on his HI. A monster!

M
How evil. He was probably afraid his new relationship would end when she found out he was expecting another baby with Kelly. Her poor family.
wow inside scoop you must have known all along who
BC they were legally separated, she was still eligible to be on his health insurance, but he refused to place her on it. She informed him in early Jan that she was pregnant. He has been living with another woman.

Better to murder her rather than pay support for another child and put her on his HI. A monster!
Wow this is an inside scooop a child on the way?
it was

I have so much respect for the people in our community, probably her friends, that quietly sent in tips. MO sounds like a monster. My heart breaks for her family. Nassau County police did a great job quietly, and I hope he is quickly put away for good. I wonder if he can be charged for the death of her unborn baby.

I have so much respect for the people in our community, probably her friends, that quietly sent in tips. MO sounds like a monster. My heart breaks for her family. Nassau County police did a great job quietly, and I hope he is quickly put away for good. I wonder if he can be charged for the death of her unborn baby.

^^RBBM

No, in NY he cannot be charged with the murder of her unborn:

<snip> ...the homicide statute still defines a “person” as “a human being who has been born and is alive.” Killing a baby once born was and is still considered a homicide.

Addressing New York's New Abortion Law

^^RBBM

No, in NY he cannot be charged with the murder of her unborn:

<snip> ...the homicide statute still defines a “person” as “a human being who has been born and is alive.” Killing a baby once born was and is still considered a homicide.

Addressing New York's New Abortion Law
Thank you. That is infuriating.

I was thinking the same thing. If this happened to my friend I don't know if I'd have the maturity to sit quiet and let LE do their job. People really, really loved her.

In the PC, LE said they believed he went to the house that day to kill her. They charged him with second degree murder. In NY, first degree murder requires additional aggravating circumstances like the victim was LE, more than one person was killed, or the murder happened during another felony. It isn't as straightforward as in other states where intent makes it first degree.

Murder in the second degree

According to the press conference she moved back home just about a year ago.
Thanks, Was wondering if she had become pregnant before they separated and had just found out in January - but that’s not it if they’ve been separated almost a year. Perhaps the divorce was going to be finalized soon?

What the heck is wrong with these men? :(:mad:

Marine strangled wife after learning she was pregnant with their second child, police say

Michael Owen, a 27-year-old Marine, is charged with second-degree murder in the death of 27-year-old Kelly Owen.
Authorities say the two were estranged since January of 2019 and had a prior domestic incident in December of 2018, but they were still maintaining a physical relationship.

They believe he strangled her after she told him she was pregnant with their second child.
Officials said he served as a U.S. Marine for eight years before being honorably discharged. His current job was with a company that installs cellphone towers.

He was remanded without bail.

Marine strangled wife after learning she was pregnant with their second child, police say

Michael Owen, a 27-year-old Marine, is charged with second-degree murder in the death of 27-year-old Kelly Owen.
Authorities say the two were estranged since January of 2019 and had a prior domestic incident in December of 2018, but they were still maintaining a physical relationship.

They believe he strangled her after she told him she was pregnant with their second child.
Officials said he served as a U.S. Marine for eight years before being honorably discharged. His current job was with a company that installs cellphone towers.

He was remanded without bail.

In the press conference LE said MO knew she was pregnant and they disagreed over the future of the child. It sounded to me like he wanted her to get an abortion but she wanted to keep the baby. This article makes it sound like he learned on January 15 she was pregnant and strangled her right then. But the PC made it sound like he knew for a little while she was pregnant and he decided that day he was going to go over and kill her. Minor point but I don't want him to have some "heat of passion" defense here. So I hope the LE PC was right on this point!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back