Coronavirus Global Health Emergency, 2019-nCoV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I listened to most of the WHO presser and have read most of the news links. Has anyone reported on exactly who is dying from this? Maybe the data isn't clear just yet. I wonder if like other outbreaks is it the very young/old or those already with compromised immune systems/health issues?

I listened to most of the WHO presser and have read most of the news links. Has anyone reported on exactly who is dying from this? Maybe the data isn't clear just yet. I wonder if like other outbreaks is it the very young/old or those already with compromised immune systems/health issues?
I was just talking about this - literally nano-seconds ago - with my son. You can't hear me through this thing, can you? LOL

From what I've heard and read (non MSM so not linking), the people who have succumbed are elderly and/or with underlying health issues. Maybe a young child too, though I don't remember.

If you're a rather healthy adult and not elderly with health issues, you might grit your way through the illness and not even bother going to a doctor. So the death rate might even be lower than the 2% reported as that 2% rate is from KNOWN cases. There might be many cases where patients simply recovered.

Just my layman understanding.

jmo

Desperate times call for desperate measures for travelers trying to ward off the deadly coronavirus – with some covering their heads with plastic bottles.

Images have emerged of airline passengers wearing jugs as makeshift space helmets, among other improvised items, to protect themselves.

A family was seen covered in plastic sheets at an airport terminal, while a man was pictured wearing a motorcycle helmet on a flight from Shanghai to Perth, Australia.

coronavirus-protections-29-1.jpg

https://nypost.com/2020/01/29/coron...-heads-with-plastic-bottles-to-dodge-disease/

I was just talking about this - literally nano-seconds ago - with my son. You can't hear me through this thing, can you? LOL

From what I've heard and read (non MSM so not linking), the people who have succumbed are elderly and/or with underlying health issues. Maybe a young child too, though I don't remember.

If you're a rather healthy adult and not elderly with health issues, you might grit your way through the illness and not even bother going to a doctor. So the death rate might even be lower than the 2% reported as that 2% rate is from KNOWN cases. There might be many cases where patients simply recovered.

jmo
Yea, but Chinese sure are acting like it's something much more serious than that. Regardless, many people do have underlying health issues.

Desperate times call for desperate measures for travelers trying to ward off the deadly coronavirus – with some covering their heads with plastic bottles.

Images have emerged of airline passengers wearing jugs as makeshift space helmets, among other improvised items, to protect themselves.

A family was seen covered in plastic sheets at an airport terminal, while a man was pictured wearing a motorcycle helmet on a flight from Shanghai to Perth, Australia.

coronavirus-protections-29-1.jpg

https://nypost.com/2020/01/29/coron...-heads-with-plastic-bottles-to-dodge-disease/
I saw a photo of a guy with what looked like a sanitary napkin attached to his face.

Yea, but Chinese sure are acting like it's something much more serious than that. Regardless, many people do have underlying health issues.
Of course it's serious. But we should understand the possibility that many people might get it....and recover.

Those who don't recover SEEM to be people with underlying conditions, which in no way indicates it's not still serious. It certainly is serious for anyone who gets it and the spread needs to be stopped.

Everyone's health is important. I made the assumption that was a given.

jmo

jmo
Thank You for answering. Yes I can hear you lol. I think it's likely as you say. I worry for those with no immune system, chemo patients. Transplant folks who take anti-rejection etc. etc.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article239733143.html
''Google searches for “Corona Beer” and “Corona Beer Virus” are both up significantly in the last week, when the first cases of coronavirus were confirmed in the U.S.

The confusion may not be solely from searchers, as Google itself may lead people to this unfortunate mix up. When typing “corona” into Google, “corona beer virus” is the second option the search engine predicts.''

justinaram.com

A Disturbing Number of People Think Coronavirus Is Related to Corona Beer

The searches have been prevalent in North America (but not in Mexico, where the beer is produced) and western Europe, as well as in Australia, India, Indonesia, Japan, and New Zealand.

I have noticed an increase in a commercial for a new Lysol Product. It states beds can get sick too. Lysol now has a laundry disinfectant for your wash. I have always just washed bedding in really hot water figuring between that and the dryer any bug is eliminated. I'm sure it is flying off the shelves.

The U.S. added coronavirus screening checkpoints at 15 additional airports across the U.S.:

Screenings were already in place in New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago and Atlanta.

The checkpoints have been expanded to:
Anchorage, Alaska
Boston, Massachusetts
Dallas, Texas
Detroit, Michigan
El Paso, Texas
Honolulu, Hawaii
Houston, Texas
Miami, Florida
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Newark, New Jersey
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
San Diego, California
Seattle, Washington
Washington, D.C. (Dulles)
San Juan, Puerto Rico

People will also be screened at border crossings in El Paso and San Diego.

Nearly 6,000 Infected with Coronavirus; Plane Carrying More Than 200 Americans from Wuhan, China, Lands in Alaska | The Weather Channel

Jan 29, 2020
Suspected cases of coronavirus in Ontario up to 23 from 19
''Ontario health officials now say the number of suspected cases of coronavirus that they are investigating has gone up to 23.

On Tuesday, the province said 19 people were being tested and that eight people were cleared of the virus.

The province has not said what has accounted for the increase in numbers.''

Videos show the shockingly rapid progress China is making with 2 hospitals it's panic-building to fight the coronavirus

5e301f7f24306a167f1042a2

Medics in Wuhan, the city of 11 million people where the virus originated, have described overcrowded hospitals and a shortage of test kits, protective gear, and other medical equipment.

To alleviate this pressure, city authorities last Friday announced plans to build a new hospital from scratch in just six days, to be used beginning February 3.

Wuhan expanded those plans, and it is now urgently building two hospitals.

One is the Wuhan Huoshenshan Hospital, which is due to open February 3 with an area of 25,000 square meters, or 269,000 square feet, and 1,000 beds.

The second is the Leishenshan Hospital, which is due to open February 5 with an area of 30,000 square meters (323,000 square feet) and 1,300 beds.

They are located about 25 miles apart.

Live stream of construction on youtube:

Last edited:
Biopharmaceutical giant Johnson & Johnson is mobilizing dozens of scientists to research the genetic code of the Wuhan coronavirus in hopes of developing a vaccine that can stem its spread. If the company is successful on that front, it will be able to leverage its massive global manufacturing capacity to produce hundreds of millions of vaccine doses for use worldwide.

The rapid spread of the coronavirus has prompted a slate of biopharma companies to begin researching vaccines, but Johnson & Johnson is the biggest to enter the fray.

Johnson & Johnson's antiviral treatments for HIV could offer the best chance for people who are already infected with coronavirus. So far, J&J has donated 300 boxes of Prezcobix, an HIV medication containing the active ingredients darunavir and cobicistat, to the Shanghai Public Health Clinical Center and Zhongnan Hospital of Wuhan University for evaluation. It also donated 50 boxes to the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention for research purposes. In 2019, Prezcobix sales exceeded $2.1 billion worldwide.

Johnson & Johnson Joins the Hunt for a Coronavirus Vaccine | The Motley Fool

I am beating a dead horse again (need that old emoji we used to have :beatingadwadhorse: Not a good move, IMO. Of course I’m no expert but considering over 50 million people are on lockdown in China. I’m afraid this could be a huge mistake. Pray I am very, very wrong.

I’ll insert this for you
giphy.gif

Tag team?

I will have to try to find the articles I’ve seen, but IIRC (pretty sure I do) the cases involving young subjects have had, predominantly, less severe infection and recovering faster.

That said, they don’t know if the young just had less exposure to the virus - or if they have the ability to fight it better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member