Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male Hiker, Denim & “Mostly Harmless” July 2018 - Vance Rodriguez #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I just joined WS after reading all of this original thread because I’ve been researching Mostly Harmless lately and I cannot seem to get my mind off of him. I just wanted to bring up an old thought that was apparently written off- Karl Busch. I can seem to tear myself away from him regarding this case. The main thing that won’t let me move away from him is that odd crease next to the eyebrow that both him and MH have in that exact same spot. It is just too coincidental for me. Does anyone else think the police may have written him off too easily?

Hi all, I just joined WS after reading all of this original thread because I’ve been researching Mostly Harmless lately and I cannot seem to get my mind off of him. I just wanted to bring up an old thought that was apparently written off- Karl Busch. I can seem to tear myself away from him regarding this case. The main thing that won’t let me move away from him is that odd crease next to the eyebrow that both him and MH have in that exact same spot. It is just too coincidental for me. Does anyone else think the police may have written him off too easily?
Do you have any links to share about him?

I haven't read the whole thread yet (my apologies) and I will go back after this question. Did the autopsy results show whether MH had a terminal illness like cancer? While hikers I know do have that thin, wiry frame very few would be at 83 pounds. A man who works with my husband regularly does triathlons and has done a few ironman contests. He's about 5' 11" and weighs about 140 pounds. If there is any gauntness to him it's only in his face.

Do you have any links to share about him?
Truth be told, I’ve only seen things of him via the original thread here for MH and on a Facebook page dedicated to finding him that looks like hasn’t been active since 2017. From seeing the talk of him on here and the photos posted on here of him I did a side by side of him and MH and at first glance, it doesn’t seem plausible but if you look at the features one by one, you almost can’t think that there’s any possibility they aren’t the same person.

Truth be told, I’ve only seen things of him via the original thread here for MH and on a Facebook page dedicated to finding him that looks like hasn’t been active since 2017. From seeing the talk of him on here and the photos posted on here of him I did a side by side of him and MH and at first glance, it doesn’t seem plausible but if you look at the features one by one, you almost can’t think that there’s any possibility they aren’t the same person.

That’s really interesting-especially the crease above his eye and shape of the nose. My first impression was “nope,” but the features are oddly similar. I’m really reaching here, but I wonder if they could possibly be related? Seems like the odds would be very slim, but I suppose stranger things have happened.

One thing that happens inevitably with aging is the sagging of facial features. Comparing the side by side images of the two individuals suggests that MH is not Karl. Whatever caused MH's dramatic weight loss, it did not affect his facial features. I would also point out that Karl seems to have sloe eyes which can be exacerbated with age but one thing that doesn't change is the placement of ears in relation to the eyes. MH's ears are much higher than Karl's. Based on those observations, I don't believe that Karl is MH.

That’s really interesting-especially the crease above his eye and shape of the nose. My first impression was “nope,” but the features are oddly similar. I’m really reaching here, but I wonder if they could possibly be related? Seems like the odds would be very slim, but I suppose stranger things have happened.

Ears don't match at all. Karl's are set much lower and seem larger. Also his nose is more crooked. Take a look at the photo of him in the thread. You can see his right profile there. MH has a straight nose with a (not sure how to say it in English) pointier tip. At least that's what we can tell from all the photos we have.

I recall hearing in the CCSO podcast that he was sitting up in his tent and his eyes were open when he was found. I assumed that is why the sketch was drawn the way it was-- to me it has always seemed like he has an expression of pain or surprise on his face. I still don't believe that he chose to starve himself to death. I believe that he got in a bad situation, was too sick with some sudden illness or chronic disease to hike out of his campsite and died before anyone came by that could help. It was off season for hikers on the Florida Trail and it was very hot and humid when he was found. There are dozens of illnesses that could cause starvation. Anything from chloera to stomach cancer.

MOO.

yeah, I’m unconvinced he purposefully starved himself to death as well. The article mentions parts of the trail being flooded and very difficult to traverse for the men who found him. It does make you wonder if he was too weak to make it back through trails that were already almost too challenging for the two healthy hikers who found him. It brings to mind a Christopher McCandless type situation.

Ears don't match at all. Karl's are set much lower and seem larger. Also his nose is more crooked. Take a look at the photo of him in the thread. You can see his right profile there. MH has a straight nose with a (not sure how to say it in English) pointier tip. At least that's what we can tell from all the photos we have.

yes, I completely agree, and I don’t think it’s him. I was actually more wondering about the possibility of being related, although, that’s an extremely slim chance.

I recall hearing in the CCSO podcast that he was sitting up in his tent and his eyes were open when he was found. I assumed that is why the sketch was drawn the way it was-- to me it has always seemed like he has an expression of pain or surprise on his face. I still don't believe that he chose to starve himself to death. I believe that he got in a bad situation, was too sick with some sudden illness or chronic disease to hike out of his campsite and died before anyone came by that could help. It was off season for hikers on the Florida Trail and it was very hot and humid when he was found. There are dozens of illnesses that could cause starvation. Anything from chloera to stomach cancer.

MOO.
Cholera is a highly infectious disease and it acts fairly quickly. It usually comes from ingesting infected waters which would suggest other hikers may have been afflicted with it. He would have been exhibiting symptoms that would have been obvious to others. If he DID have cholera, which I think it would be highly doubtful that other people also didn't get it.

There are alot of ailments and diseases that wasting is a symptom. You could probably eliminate COPD or heart failure for this individual since he was an avid hiker. But someone with HIV or Crohn's disease wouldn't necessarily show outward signs of the disease. My son-in-law has Crohn's disease and before he was approved to take an experimental drug taken intravenously once a month like someone with renal failure he dropped to 120 pounds on a 6 foot 2 frame.

Cholera is a highly infectious disease and it acts fairly quickly. It usually comes from ingesting infected waters which would suggest other hikers may have been afflicted with it. He would have been exhibiting symptoms that would have been obvious to others. If he DID have cholera, which I think it would be highly doubtful that other people also didn't get it.

There are alot of ailments and diseases that wasting is a symptom. You could probably eliminate COPD or heart failure for this individual since he was an avid hiker. But someone with HIV or Crohn's disease wouldn't necessarily show outward signs of the disease. My son-in-law has Crohn's disease and before he was approved to take an experimental drug taken intravenously once a month like someone with renal failure he dropped to 120 pounds on a 6 foot 2 frame.

No one reported seeing him for a couple months before his death, so I don't think he would have come into contact with anyone that he could pass a case of cholera from contaminated drinking water on to. He would have suffered alone. Those other illnesses you mentioned are possibilities as well. Denim being found sitting up in his tent with his eyes open makes me think of neurological conditions where people slowly lose their muscle strength and dexterity. Something like MS, Parkinson's, or ALS/Lou Gerhig's Disease, etc. Many illnesses could have allowed him to keep on hiking (but slowly) up until the last couple months of his life when he might go down hill. A friend of mine died from ALS and he chose not to go on a feeding tube for the end of his life. He had difficulty changing positions/moving on his own the last few months and would not lie down because he couldn't get up again without help. My friend essentially died from starvation due to not being able to chew food/swallow at the end. I also know several people with MS. My friends with MS can hide their symptoms on good days but when they have really bad days symptom-wise they need help from others for things such as zipping up zippers or lifting things. Even opening water bottles/tearing open a plastic bag of chips can be a challenge due to loss of dexterity and strength. If Denim had some neurological condition he might have eventually deteriorated to the point of being unable to open packaged food or get out of his tent. Sadly, there are so many diseases where starvation is the side effect that kills you if you don't have any help from others. MOO.

Last edited:

It's a moot point because he's been ruled out by LE, but a general comment about ID from photos:

The apparent placement of ears can seem very different depending on whether the person is looking up or down or has their head slightly tilted or turned, where the camera is relative to the person, and even on the person's haircut and the lighting on the face. It looks to me like the camera in Karl's photo was positioned just a bit above eye level, which would make the ears seem lower. It would also make his neck seem longer and his chin and jaw seem more defined;

The different lighting from the brim of the hat is making the bags around Denim's eyes seem very pronounced, which could be making his eyes seem smaller.

If you look closely at Karl's photo, you can see that his head is ever-so-slightly turned to our left; the right side (our right) of his face is just a little bit wider than the left side (our left), where Denim is looking very squarely at the camera. It looks like Karl's head is wider through the eye region, but that could be just the angle.

The different hats make it hard to judge whether the shape of the top of their heads is similar; it could be the head or it could be the hats.

This is why LE won't make an identification based only on photos, even if they have a lot of them. It can be suggestive, but it's never conclusive.

No one reported seeing him for a couple months before his death, so I don't think he would have come into contact with anyone that he could pass a case of cholera from contaminated drinking water on to. He would have suffered alone. Those other illnesses you mentioned are possibilities as well. Denim being found sitting up in his tent with his eyes open makes me think of neurological conditions where people slowly lose their muscle strength and dexterity. Something like MS, Parkinson's, or ALS/Lou Gerhig's Disease, etc. Many illnesses could have allowed him to keep on hiking (but slowly) up until the last couple months of his life when he might go down hill. A friend of mine died from ALS and he chose not to go on a feeding tube for the end of his life. He had difficulty changing positions/moving on his own the last few months and would not lie down because he couldn't get up again without help. My friend essentially died from starvation due to not being able to chew food/swallow at the end. I also know several people with MS. My friends with MS can hide their symptoms on good days but when they have really bad days symptom-wise they need help from others for things such as zipping up zippers or lifting things. Even opening water bottles/tearing open a plastic bag of chips can be a challenge due to loss of dexterity and strength. If Denim had some neurological condition he might have eventually deteriorated to the point of being unable to open packaged food or get out of his tent. Sadly, there are so many diseases where starvation is the side effect that kills you if you don't have any help from others. MOO.[

It's unfortunate that the autopsy results haven't been made public in this situation. It's not like LE are trying to hold back essential information in the case of a homicide. It's appears the man died of natural causes. You would think releasing the results would only flesh out the profile of the individual so that family members of missing person may recognize them.

It's possible this individual knew he was dying or at the very least knew some serious physical ailment was affecting him through his extreme weight loss. Most people who experience that type of accelerated weight loss without any form of diet and exercise would go to the doctor to see what was happening. Cancer does that, especially bone marrow cancer. According to some of the people he spoke to, he had mentioned he'd undergone some radical weight loss. Heavy people who start losing weight for no apparent reason are initially ecstatic about the loss without realizing there may be some underlying reason and it takes a while before they decide to check it out. If he'd been given a serious diagnosis he may have been doing his bucket list. This is all supposition.

If it has been established he died of natural causes and not by misadventure (accidental poisoning, etc) I wonder why his autopsy results haven't been released?

For what it’s worth, MH drank an Angry Orchard.(bottom left)
I'm sorry, I don't know what I'm looking for. Which man is supposed to be him? The one at the bottom left wearing a hat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288