IN - Grandfather charged in cruise ship death of toddler Chloe Wiegand #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
But what I found unusual is that CW was heading towards the window from far away from the windows. How would she know about them if they hadn't been pointed out to her from the pool area - and possibly with a suggestion to go look out the windows? (just a guess)

Also Chloe was following the unidentified man who was heading from the pool area to that window. SA stopped her and crouched down at the pillar/column for several seconds, until that same man returned from the window, passed right in front of CW and SA, and then CW and SA continued to the window.

BBM

Very little ones in crowd settings often get confused and follow the wrong person around. They see something, a similar colored shirt or the same bag on someone from behind and their little brains go "I'm being left behind" and off they go, thinking it's their mom or dad or someone they love and trust. I can't tell you how many times I've been at parks or other public places and heard someone crying or felt little hands grabbing at my leg to turn around and find a very startled toddler/preschooler who only just realized once they saw my face I'm not who they thought I was (followed usually by a very panicked caretaker who had legitimately just looked away for a second). It's possible Chloe had one of those moments and went off after the guy thinking it was daddy or other grandpa. Maybe SA only was able to stop her at the pillar because suddenly surrounded completely by adults she hesitated not sure of herself and who she thought that person was and he was finally able to catch up to her in his halfassed following.

I will be curious to see if any of the other footage gets released to show what they were doing just prior to this. Was he just letting her wander wherever she wanted and not really doing anything other then following?

DOCUMENT DROP!

Hello my clever sleuths! Got some more civil documents for perusal. I have to say I'm really digging using DocDroid for some of these massive files.

For the plaintiffs :

PLAINTIFFS’NOTICE OF FILING PRELIMINARY AFFIDAVIT OF RANDALL JAQUES
CASE NO. 19-CV-25100-DLG
WIEGAND VS RCCL
filed on 1/23/20

notice of affidavit.pdf

short and sweet 2 page doc identifying their recreation expert before filing his affidavit. nothing really special.

PRELIMINARY AFFIDAVIT OF RANDALL JAQUES
filed on 1/23/20

affidavit of expert randall jaques.pdf

Mr. Jaques introduces himself to the court, explains why he's an 'expert', and then gives a rundown of their little trip to the ship and what he was doing/what he believes he has proved with his investigation. This includes the full 100something page inspection previously filed, so the new stuff is the first 4 pages.

PLAINTIFFS’REPLY IN FURTHER SUPPORT OF PLAINTIFFS’ MOTION TO COMPEL DEFENDANT TO PRODUCE ALL VIDEO FOOTAGE
filed on 1/27/20

further motion to compel.pdf

3 pages. Winkleman admits that RCCL has already voluntarily produced video from 10 cameras between the filing of the motion to compel and this one, but basically states this isn't good enough. The thing that confuses me about this document is that they don't ask for any kind of remedy or what they still want the court to actually compel the defense to do at this point, they just kind of... gripe and moan.

Defense documents:

ROYAL CARIBBEAN CRUISES LTD.’S REPLY TO PLAINTIFFS’PRELIMINARY RESPONSE TO MOTION TO DISMISS THE COMPLAINT FOR FAILURE TO STATE A CAUSE OF ACTION
filed 1/29/20

RC response to plaintiff 1-29.pdf

10 pages. RCCL not backing down. Continues to argue that the Wiegands have no case and tears apart the staged photos from the plaintiff's inspection.

ROYAL CARIBBEAN CRUISES LTD.’S RESPONSE TO PLAINTIFFS’MOTION TO STRIKE VIDEO FOOTAGE
filed 1/31/20

RC response to motion to strike video.pdf

For some reason this might be my favorite one of the bunch. Possibly because RCCL points out that Winkleman was told before filing and before the court granted permission for the conventional filing that this was happening and had no objection at the time. Basically RCCL says "no-take-backsies"

Happy reading/debating!

OMG ... seriously?? They are trying to say that the stance in the reenactment pic (1st pic) is exactly the same as the stance in the real (2nd) pic :rolleyes:

zz.JPG z.JPG

Just a few pages into the 105 page doco and already I can see why Royal Caribbean are disputing the accuracy of the lawsuit photos and diagrams!

Was SA Unaware of Toddler Squirm Factor?
@neesaki sbm Yes, what? If SA had hauled up a sack of potatoes, that bag could have rested unharmed there for hours or days draped motionless over the rail, never dropping 100+ feet to dock. But SA seemed oblivious about having picked up an 18 m/o toddler capable of movement.

Is it possible, when picking her up that day, SA was simply ignorant about Chloe's ability to walk/toddle/ squirm/wiggle/twist? Perhaps like a relative who had spent no time w her? Doubtful.
He held her on his lap (while she wore head/earphones) alongside Grandmother at sports arena,.
He held her at his waist/chest level, next to figure of big (Charlie Brown-like) head w helmet.
He kneeled/squatted/crouched next to Chloe standing in her Frozen blue dress w blue net skirt.
He was close to ground level w her as she hunted Easter eggs.

W ^ images of SA holding her in various positions, could he be unaware of the Squirm Factor?
Whether Chloe moved and caused him to lose grip or whether he lost grip for another reason, imo, either way seems like textbook example of Negligent Homicide.
Great posts, @al66pine and @neesaki! That is another reason it seems to me that lifting Chloe from floor to on/beyond guardrail in one motion is deserving of more emphasis and attention.
SA did not lift Chloe up and hold her first to see if she would be frightened by the height and/or the noise and wind of the open window. No, straight from floor to on/beyond the guardrail.
Touching the glass of a hockey rink is very different from a window eleven stories up open or closed.
Toddlers are by nature mercurial little creatures. Yesterday’s favorite food is an absolute no-go today, and that is at home in a familiar environment on their usual schedule.
So Chloe’s “best friend” who, we are to believe according to the propaganda would never do anything to hurt her, apparently had no concerns about her psychological safety much less her physical safety. People, those are not the actions of a loving and caring adult even if somewhat inexperienced with young children (which in this situation is a whole other argument...”best friend”) IMO and observation in life.
How many here have made comments such as they had fears for glasses, cameras, phones, etc. being so close to the precipice of the ship? And those are, while important, inanimate objects easily replaceable.
Thanks for listening.
It does hurt and also makes me angry that complete strangers on the internet appear to be more vested in sweet, beautiful, little 18 month old Chloe’s interests than her family. Chloe’s estate appears to be their primary focus.

Great posts, @al66pine and @neesaki! That is another reason it seems to me that lifting Chloe from floor to on/beyond guardrail in one motion is deserving of more emphasis and attention.
SA did not lift Chloe up and hold her first to see if she would be frightened by the height and/or the noise and wind of the open window. No, straight from floor to on/beyond the guardrail.
Touching the glass of a hockey rink is very different from a window eleven stories up open or closed.
Toddlers are by nature mercurial little creatures. Yesterday’s favorite food is an absolute no-go today, and that is at home in a familiar environment on their usual schedule.
So Chloe’s “best friend” who, we are to believe according to the propaganda would never do anything to hurt her, apparently had no concerns about her psychological safety much less her physical safety. People, those are not the actions of a loving and caring adult even if somewhat inexperienced with young children (which in this situation is a whole other argument...”best friend”) IMO and observation in life.
How many here have made comments such as they had fears for glasses, cameras, phones, etc. being so close to the precipice of the ship? And those are, while important, inanimate objects easily replaceable.
Thanks for listening.
It does hurt and also makes me angry that complete strangers on the internet appear to be more vested in sweet, beautiful, little 18 month old Chloe’s interests than her family. Chloe’s estate appears to be their primary focus.
I cannot "like" this post enough. Thank you, thank you and THANK YOU for putting my exact thoughts in to such powerful words. Yes.

As I have posted previously, when this first came on the news I felt awful for the family and SA, but as more information came out, IMO I believe that this was planned, do not know why, but this was no accident. Watching SA during his television interview I could not understand how he could sit there and make excuses for why this little child lost her life. I would be blaming myself and would not be able to forgive myself, I would have to be under a doctor’s care because I would not be able to make it through each day let alone do a television interview.

as others have stated, this is about making money off of Chloe’s death, not about accepting responsibility and honoring her short life. If this was about Chloe or truly an accident, no one would be making excuses for what happened, but be warning the public about the dangers of holding a small child by an open window on a ship. All the excuses, lies and lawsuits make me wonder what is this family hiding. I still would not be able to get through a day if this had been my little girl. Sometimes I wonder if we care more about Chloe because we want to know what happened and why her life was over so quickly. This is just my opinion.
I totally and completely agree with this post. The truth is coming out piece by horrific piece! If there is ANYONE else involved in this disgusting plot, heads will roll. Justice for Chloe!!!

As I have posted previously, when this first came on the news I felt awful for the family and SA, but as more information came out, IMO I believe that this was planned, do not know why, but this was no accident. Watching SA during his television interview I could not understand how he could sit there and make excuses for why this little child lost her life. I would be blaming myself and would not be able to forgive myself, I would have to be under a doctor’s care because I would not be able to make it through each day let alone do a television interview.

as others have stated, this is about making money off of Chloe’s death, not about accepting responsibility and honoring her short life. If this was about Chloe or truly an accident, no one would be making excuses for what happened, but be warning the public about the dangers of holding a small child by an open window on a ship. All the excuses, lies and lawsuits make me wonder what is this family hiding. I still would not be able to get through a day if this had been my little girl. Sometimes I wonder if we care more about Chloe because we want to know what happened and why her life was over so quickly. This is just my opinion.

Great post, loveandhugs!!

I agree with you that this was planned. I have wavered back and forth but I now believe this was an intentional act.

If it was intentional (not unplanned/ unwanted/accidental) there must have been a reason for it (motive), along with a desired and expected outcome.
The desired and expected outcome was, IMO, the death of Chloe. Could anyone think there would be any other possible result from dropping a toddler 150 feet??

That leaves motive.

So what could be some possible motives for someone to drop a toddler from a cruise ship to her death?
Or for a group of people to plan with an individual (and sanction their behavior) for that person to drop (throw?) a toddler from a cruise ship?

1) Money. Plain and simple.
a)The money which would result from an insurance policy ( rumored to exist in this case but not proven).
b) The money which could come from a lawsuit against the cruise ship, which has very deep pockets.
***Also, in doing some research on MW & on cruise ship accidents, it appears to me that of all lawsuits brought against cruise ships by any law firm in the last 30 years, it seems around 80% settle out of court. This is not scientific or professional research, just what I found by searching online etc. However, even MW admitted in one article that "most of the civil suits end in settlement and don't go to trial. " That is not an exact quote, I'm paraphrasing, but that is generally what he claimed.​
So ... could this kind of "accident" be considered a "slam dunk"? A case in which RCL wouldn't want negative publicity and would "certainly" settle out of court? The death of a toddler would garner all kinds of sympathy for the family, etc etc.
Maybe someone told them that this was the way it works. For that matter, how do we know that they weren't acquainted with MW ahead of time? A bit of a reach, I admit, but anything is possible.
If there was a plan, is it possible something went wrong along the way?
Maybe SA was supposed to be walking with Chloe in his arms and "trip" over something on the floor, or a wet floor, or the ledge by the floor, or that prison bar window, and she would fall out the (already opened) window to her death.....only maybe he screwed up by getting drunk and not following the plan. OK I know I'm reaching again, but hey it could be true. If he appeared to be carrying her securely but he "tripped" and she went out the window, they could argue that if that window wasn't open, she wouldn't have fallen to her death. And it would seem much more believable, and deserving of sympathy vs. him hanging her out the window IMO.

IMO, the deep pockets of the cruise line, combined with their perceived tendency to offer quick settlements, answers the objection I've seen which states: "oh come on, don't you think SA could have found a much easier way to kill her if that's what he really wanted? He didn't have to wait until he was on a cruise ship in front of so many witnesses, he could have done it anywhere."
(YES but then no huge payout.. and I wonder if they intended this to happen on camera, with witnesses....that he was supposed to "trip" and drop her out or maybe just onto the floor....something they thought would look accidental. If he carried out the plan correctly, the witnesses and cameras would work in his favor and maybe that's what they were counting on because they KNEW about the cameras. But.... then SA got drunk {nerves? fear? second thoughts?} and messed up the plan and that's why KW & AW told him to refuse BAC test. ).MOO JMO & yes I know ...I'm reaching again/still

OK, back to motives.....
2) Medical Issues of child.
If a child has ongoing medical issues which would follow them into adulthood and the prognosis was very poor/ little chance for recovery or to live a normal life. Perhaps a progressive illness which would start becoming very problematic around 2 years of age (there actually are a few conditions/ syndromes that exist in which this happens such as Silver-Russell Syndrome for example).
I am in no way saying I think Chloe had this, or any other condition, just giving an example of a disease that can start out mild and need more treatment with age/ if things don't improve.
The thought could be that they were sparing her a life of suffering/ pain.
Or, perhaps the only treatment available/ recommended for a child's condition is very very expensive, even with excellent insurance. (something, for example, like Human Growth Hormone therapy which is extremely costly averaging $52k /yr and mostly not covered by insurance).
Perhaps they would only be thinking of the inconvenience/ disruption to their lives which comes with having a moderately or severely ill child or one that will need lots of medical care moving forward. MOO

3) Someone was resentful of the child for any number of reasons. I think a few of us have discussed the possibility of perhaps SA being resentful of having to babysit Chloe or maybe this would tie in to any possible medical condition as stated above.

4) To "silence" the child or cover up for possible abuse of some sort. (Just UGH)

*** I am not suggesting that any of these possible motives are attributable to SA, KW, AW or anyone else. Even though I have given a few examples and possible ways one or more of the motives could be present in this case, I am not saying I have evidence that any of them are. I am merely listing POSSIBLE motives which could be present in a case such as this (ie. in the death of a child) IF it was a planned act. This is all speculation and conjecture and my personal theories.

I personally believe this was a deliberate action and that the death of Chloe was the objective (ugh it hurts my heart to write that). I could very well be wrong and, quite honestly, I hope I am.

Can anyone else think of any other motives/ reasons that someone (or a group of someone's) would decide to do this?

I guess I have to include the following:

5) Pure evil. Some people are. Maybe there was no motive except wanting to kill a child.
6) Mental Illness -- of just the person who directly caused the death or maybe of the whole family or at least a few members?

Thinking about this is making me really sad but I'm forcing myself to try and be logical and think this through. If I am claiming I believe this was planned and intentional (or maybe intentional but not pre-planned, just in the moment?) then I ought to be able to come up with a motive or reason for such behavior. Otherwise I'm just making assumptions based on my feelings or hunches and while those can sometimes serve me well, I'm trying to be rational about this case.
(NOT doing a great job, but trying :().

Anyway those are just my thoughts and what I can come up with as possible motives in this case. Can anyone think of any others?

Even if you think it was an accident, it doesn't hurt to look at all possibilities right? And I appreciate everyone's point of view.... we all have something valuable to contribute as we try to figure out whether Grampa Sal &Co. are truly evil or if he is just the biggest knuckleheaded nincompoop ever to walk the face of the earth
Again, the above is all JMO , MOO.

I hope that whatever the truth is, it does come out so there is some measure of Justice for Chloe.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I am including the below references and links to show where I got some of the info I listed above as general examples, not because I think they are relevant to this case in particular.

"In RSS /SRS*........Consult a pediatric endocrinologist to consider the use of rhGH in an infant nearing age 2 years who has not manifested adequate catch-up growth. Other endocrine issues that need close monitoring include premature adrenarche and precocious puberty" - from emedicine.medscape,com
* Russell-Silver Syndrome/Silver-Russell Syndrome are the same thing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver–Russell_syndrome

On Human Growth Hormone:
One study of 128 children treated at a single clinic with a slightly higher dose of growth hormone saw height gains in the range of about 3 to 4 1/2 inches. But that growth definitely comes at a cost. The price of treatment ranges from $10,000 to $60,000 annually. That works out to a cost of about $52,000 an inch. And insurance coverage varies.
- From Web MD / webmd.com

Lol! Was it a slip and fall case?

And, being over 50 I'm in great shape and walk every day. I get that everyone ages differently and illnesses can impact physical well being but if SA is so infirm then WTH was he doing babysitting a toddler?
Lol, no, it was actually a stalking case. But she made a grand entrance on a walker, trying for sympathy, I suppose.

She put on a fine performance, stopping every few steps to gather up enough strength and energy to go on. And she made a lot of noise with the walker, clattering it down with every step.

I agree with you that this was planned. I have wavered back and forth but I now believe this was an intentional act.

If it was intentional (not unplanned/ unwanted/accidental) there must have been a reason for it (motive), along with a desired and expected outcome.
The desired and expected outcome was, IMO, the death of Chloe. Could anyone think there would be any other possible result from dropping a toddler 150 feet??

That leaves motive.

So what could be some possible motives for someone to drop a toddler from a cruise ship to her death?
Or for a group of people to plan with an individual (and sanction their behavior) for that person to drop (throw?) a toddler from a cruise ship?

a)The money which would result from an insurance policy ( rumored to exist in this case but not proven).
b) The money which could come from a lawsuit against the cruise ship, which has very deep pockets.
***Also, in doing some research on MW & on cruise ship accidents, it appears to me that of all lawsuits brought against cruise ships by any law firm in the last 30 years, it seems around 80% settle out of court. This is not scientific or professional research, just what I found by searching online etc. However, even MW admitted in one article that "most of the civil suits end in settlement and don't go to trial. " That is not an exact quote, I'm paraphrasing, but that is generally what he claimed.​
So ... could this kind of "accident" be considered a "slam dunk"? A case in which RCL wouldn't want negative publicity and would "certainly" settle out of court? The death of a toddler would garner all kinds of sympathy for the family, etc etc.
Maybe someone told them that this was the way it works. For that matter, how do we know that they weren't acquainted with MW ahead of time? A bit of a reach, I admit, but anything is possible.
Maybe SA was supposed to be walking with Chloe in his arms and "trip" over something on the floor, or a wet floor, or the ledge by the floor, or that prison bar window, and she would fall out the (already opened) window to her death.....only maybe he screwed up by getting drunk and not following the plan. OK I know I'm reaching again, but hey it could be true. If he appeared to be carrying her securely but he "tripped" and she went out the window, they could argue that if that window wasn't open, she wouldn't have fallen to her death. And it would seem much more believable, and deserving of sympathy vs. him hanging her out the window IMO.

IMO, the deep pockets of the cruise line, combined with their perceived tendency to offer quick settlements, answers the objection I've seen which states: "oh come on, don't you think SA could have found a much easier way to kill her if that's what he really wanted? He didn't have to wait until he was on a cruise ship in front of so many witnesses, he could have done it anywhere."
(YES but then no huge payout.. and I wonder if they intended this to happen on camera, with witnesses....that he was supposed to "trip" and drop her out or maybe just onto the floor....something they thought would look accidental. If he carried out the plan correctly, the witnesses and cameras would work in his favor and maybe that's what they were counting on because they KNEW about the cameras. But.... then SA got drunk {nerves? fear? second thoughts?} and messed up the plan and that's why KW & AW told him to refuse BAC test. ).MOO JMO & yes I know ...I'm reaching again/still

OK, back to motives.....
If a child has ongoing medical issues which would follow them into adulthood and the prognosis was very poor/ little chance for recovery or to live a normal life. Perhaps a progressive illness which would start becoming very problematic around 2 years of age (there actually are a few conditions/ syndromes that exist in which this happens such as Silver-Russell Syndrome for example).
I am in no way saying I think Chloe had this, or any other condition, just giving an example of a disease that can start out mild and need more treatment with age/ if things don't improve.
Or, perhaps the only treatment available/ recommended for a child's condition is very very expensive, even with excellent insurance. (something, for example, like Human Growth Hormone therapy which is extremely costly averaging $52k /yr and mostly not covered by insurance).
Perhaps they would only be thinking of the inconvenience/ disruption to their lives which comes with having a moderately or severely ill child or one that will need lots of medical care moving forward. MOO

3) Someone was resentful of the child for any number of reasons. I think a few of us have discussed the possibility of perhaps SA being resentful of having to babysit Chloe or maybe this would tie in to any possible medical condition as stated above.

4) To "silence" the child or cover up for possible abuse of some sort. (Just UGH)

*** I am not suggesting that any of these possible motives are attributable to SA, KW, AW or anyone else. Even though I have given a few examples and possible ways one or more of the motives could be present in this case, I am not saying I have evidence that any of them are. I am merely listing POSSIBLE motives which could be present in a case such as this (ie. in the death of a child) IF it was a planned act. This is all speculation and conjecture and my personal theories.

I personally believe this was a deliberate action and that the death of Chloe was the objective (ugh it hurts my heart to write that). I could very well be wrong and, quite honestly, I hope I am.

Can anyone else think of any other motives/ reasons that someone (or a group of someone's) would decide to do this?

5) Pure evil. Some people are. Maybe there was no motive except wanting to kill a child.
6) Mental Illness -- of just the person who directly caused the death or maybe of the whole family or at least a few members?

Thinking about this is making me really sad but I'm forcing myself to try and be logical and think this through. If I am claiming I believe this was planned and intentional (or maybe intentional but not pre-planned, just in the moment?) then I ought to be able to come up with a motive or reason for such behavior. Otherwise I'm just making assumptions based on my feelings or hunches and while those can sometimes serve me well, I'm trying to be rational about this case.

Anyway those are just my thoughts and what I can come up with as possible motives in this case. Can anyone think of any others?

Even if you think it was an accident, it doesn't hurt to look at all possibilities right? And I appreciate everyone's point of view.... we all have something valuable to contribute as we try to figure out whether Grampa Sal &Co. are truly evil or if he is just the biggest knuckleheaded nincompoop ever to walk the face of the earth

I hope that whatever the truth is, it does come out so there is some measure of Justice for Chloe.
I am including the below references and links to show where I got some of the info I listed above as general examples, not because I think they are relevant to this case in particular.

"In RSS /SRS*........Consult a pediatric endocrinologist to consider the use of rhGH in an infant nearing age 2 years who has not manifested adequate catch-up growth. Other endocrine issues that need close monitoring include premature adrenarche and precocious puberty" - from emedicine.medscape,com

On Human Growth Hormone:
One study of 128 children treated at a single clinic with a slightly higher dose of growth hormone saw height gains in the range of about 3 to 4 1/2 inches. But that growth definitely comes at a cost. The price of treatment ranges from $10,000 to $60,000 annually. That works out to a cost of about $52,000 an inch. And insurance coverage varies.
You absolutely hit all the nails on the head with this post. Let us all pray to whatever Higher Power we believe in (or not, just to cover everyone) that whoever is responsible for Chloe's death faces judgement and punishment.

Lol, no, it was actually a stalking case. But she made a grand entrance on a walker, trying for sympathy, I suppose.

She put on a fine performance, stopping every few steps to gather up enough strength and energy to go on. And she made a lot of noise with the walker, clattering it down with every step.
Are you...ME? Ditto with my stalker.

That leaves motive.

OK, back to motives.....

On Human Growth Hormone:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!! I never wanted to go down that path, but the behaviour and actions of the people involved is quite disturbing. I want justice for baby Chloe:(

Last edited:
The more I review video evidence and all the court documents Kindred has so kindly put at our disposal, the more I’m inclined to dispense with the notion that Chloe’s death was accidental. I believe, IMO, that PR LE harbored the same doubts. To paraphrase early reports, LE indicated they were investigating all options, even murder.
IMO, PR LE came to the same conclusion most of us have: that there is not sufficient proof to successfully convict on more serious charges. Hence the negligent homicide charge... provable, with a minimum 3 year jail term if convicted.

It has been stated in various discussion forums that SA was involved in community theater. I have yet to confirm this, but , if true, it would explain the performance he put on for DB during the CBS interview... the heaving sobs WITHOUT tears. At one point in his performance he even peered up though his fingers, almost as if to gauge reaction from DB.
According to the ships doctor immediately after the incident , SA was crying, hysterical, etc. yet he refused sedation. Why? Perhaps because he could possibly let down his guard if sedated? Mere speculation on my part, but given the alleged theater background, worthy of some thought.

Another sticking point for me is the family’s aggressiveness toward RCL. From the onset, they held RCL fully responsible for Chloe’s death..... BEFORE all the facts were made available AND fully absolved SA of any culpability. Couple this with the media tour to garner public sympathy, presumably to yield a quick settlement, and it becomes apparent that $$$$ is a primary objective of the Wiegands.
Some posters have claimed that these behaviors could be grief coping mechanisms and initially I was swayed. But then common sense prevailed. Yes... definitely file a lawsuit if, after a careful review of facts , shows that it is justified. And AFTER you’ve had an appropriate time to grieve the loss of your 18 month old daughter.

Finally, it is the TENACITY of this family regarding the pursuit of the civil lawsuit, despite clear video evidence negating their allegations against RCL, along with their AUDACITY in asking PR prosecutors to dismiss the criminal case against SA so they can “grieve” while pursuing the civil case against RCL unencumbered, that now leads me to believe something is just not right about this case.

All JMO, of course!

For someone who is supposedly so “well versed” in his profession, IMO MW doesn’t look like a very good attorney in this case. It seems he is willing to do just about anything (lying, manufacturing false re-enactment, misrepresenting cases in his briefs to the court, providing a false version of video to news persons etc) just to win a case. I think he should be reprimanded or disbarred.
Playing devil’s advocate for a minute, perhaps MW really has no other choice. Consider what his playbook might have been:

Plan A, week 1 – get RCCL to offer quick settlement to make this nuisance go away

Plan B, weeks 2-4 – go public, gather lots of public support to shame RCCL into offering a settlement

Plan C… I don’t think his playbook had anything after Plan B. Why would it? History shows RCCL knows the game, they have usually/always paid MW to go away.

Initially MW seemed to be the master puppeteer, controlling the narrative, getting his version of the story in front of everyone, and glory be, with barely a peep from his opponent – a slam dunk!

Then the video leaked, SA had that disastrous interview with DB, and RCCL is fighting back with guns blazing. MW looks at this train wreck of a case thinking now what? He can’t employ facts, logic and reason because all of that leads straight to a guilty verdict for SA. Really, unless he can just walk away, all he can do is challenge everything, admit nothing, and hope he gets a jury loaded with idiots.

Give him credit for one thing: he is a tireless advocate for his client, ridiculous as they may be.

That leaves motive.

OK, back to motives.....

On Human Growth Hormone:

Playing devil’s advocate for a minute, perhaps MW really has no other choice. Consider what his playbook might have been:

Plan A, week 1 – get RCCL to offer quick settlement to make this nuisance go away

Plan B, weeks 2-4 – go public, gather lots of public support to shame RCCL into offering a settlement

Plan C… I don’t think his playbook had anything after Plan B. Why would it? History shows RCCL knows the game, they have usually/always paid MW to go away.

Initially MW seemed to be the master puppeteer, controlling the narrative, getting his version of the story in front of everyone, and glory be, with barely a peep from his opponent – a slam dunk!

Then the video leaked, SA had that disastrous interview with DB, and RCCL is fighting back with guns blazing. MW looks at this train wreck of a case thinking now what? He can’t employ facts, logic and reason because all of that leads straight to a guilty verdict for SA. Really, unless he can just walk away, all he can do is challenge everything, admit nothing, and hope he gets a jury loaded with idiots.

Give him credit for one thing: he is a tireless advocate for his client, ridiculous as they may be.
Thank you for a very thought out post. There is just so much that points to this not being an accident, the other option is it was planned. Not sure if SA made the decision a few minutes before he actually looked out the window and then picked up Chloe and held her out of the window, or if it was planned before actually getting on the cruise ship, and if that is the case, were other family members involved? It was as though SA was looking out the window to make sure there would be nothing in the way to stop Chloe's fall when he dropped her out of the window. I sure hope for little Chloe that the truth comes out, she deserves that. I do not know how SA can get up each day and look at himself in the mirror knowing that because of whatever his actions were, he is the one that is responsible for little Chloe's life being taken from her.

As I’ve stated all along... Winkleman ALTERED the CCTV footage he showed to his carefully chosen reporters. He is a con-man.

“Notably, however, a national news organization reported that Plaintiffs’ counsel showed them video footage of the incident that was not in real-time, and believed it needed to correct its reporting. The video showed Mr. Anello looking out the window for a about a second (when in reality he looked out for eight seconds) and placing Chloe over railing for about 5 seconds (when in reality it was 34 seconds). See CBS This Morning, Grandfather charged in girl’s cruise ship death says he’s colorblind, calls court case “inconsequential”, CBS News (Nov. 26, 2019),https://www.cbsnews.com/video/grand...rblind-calls-court-case-inconsequential/(last visited Jan. 27, 2020).”

On a related note, how did CBS come to learn in the first place that the video they were shown was altered? (this was before the real-time video was made public). If it was RCCL who set the record straight for CBS, good for them!

I believe David Begnaud addressed this on the day after the PR tv program showed the video. I'd imagine they saw the PR clip and realized that it was different than what they were shown and that the cctv clips in the PR program clearly showed that SA was at the windows for a much longer time than the clip as shown to them by MW.

I have to agree with those of you who are now coming around to wondering if this was planned from the outset. Of course we never want to believe there is that kind if evil in the world, but history has proven otherwise. I've not believed anything that this family has gone public with since the beginning. As someone who has been on both Freedom class and Voyager class ships many times, I knew that calling it a "children's play area" was a flat out lie. I also know it's nearly impossible not to know which windows are open. As such, I have doubted everything that has come from this family and their lawyer.

While I rarely acknowledge, or give credit to the things the uninformed say online, a couple of early remarks commented on (and please know these are not my words!) the fact that Chloe had a larger than normal head. It was their belief that the family killed Chloe to avoid dealing with long-term medical issues, and to instead cash in. While it all seemed absurd at that early date, it's seeming less so now.

Finally, just to bring a little levity to this awful, horrible and serious subject matter: I saw a meme similar to this online this morning. Wondering if the plaintiffs will move to strike all footage from the Superbowl Halftime show.

Attachments

• 50.jpg
    50.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 90
I do like some of the lawsuit 'measurement' pics, though. They make it very easy for everyone to see how clearly an open window can be distinguished from a closed window.

View attachment 229502 View attachment 229503

affidavit of expert randall jaques.pdf

I am starting to wonder if their case is going to be about the pre-existing risk of how a child “could” crawl onto a “squeeze bar” bar stool, stand up on the railing and fall out of the window. The second image in this post made me think about the bar stool measurements they made in their original filing. Sure grandpa made a mistake but rccl still had a safety issue...? Thoughts? Or does this theory sound crazy? o_O

I am starting to wonder if their case is going to be about the pre-existing risk of how a child “could” crawl onto a “squeeze bar” bar stool, stand up on the railing and fall out of the window. The second image in this post made me think about the bar stool measurements they made in their original filing. Sure grandpa made a mistake but rccl still had a safety issue...? Thoughts? Or does this theory sound crazy? o_O

Even if they try to make it about this, it would be completely irrelevant. The fact is that CW didn't (nor could she have) crawl onto a bar stool, climb onto the railing and fall out the window. Also, per their own photos, those bar stools don't move. They are fixed, and cannot be moved. Then, there's the 22 plus million people who have sailed on this class of ship without anyone ever going out one of these windows.

A third possible motive is child abuse. Maybe SA just liked to scare her a little from time to time. Feel a little power and control. He seemed to go out of his way to gain access to her, his little bestie. Maybe she was getting too verbal and starting to say NO to him when he wanted to pick her up or have her hold his hand. Maybe it hurt or angered him. Perhaps mom and dad didn’t know and didn’t think he could be capable of doing such a thing intentionally...or accidentally to scare her. Maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member