UK - Stuart Lubbock, raped & killed, Michael Barrymore mansion, Essex, 31 Jan 2001 *arrest in 2021*

I haven't watched the documentary yet as I was out, but it's saved to watch over the weekend. I have always felt that barrymore was probably only guilty by association, in that it happened at his party. But am willing to watch the documentary with an open mind.

I feel desperately sorry for the family of Stuart, and also for Barrymore who has this following him throughout his life now.

I was already quite familiar with the facts in the public domain so to speak, so there wasnt anything majorly new to me. It was v interesting to know there were so few at the "party" tho. Also based on footage shown last night, I would say the three arrested were justifiably arrested and most likely directly involved. JMO tho.

There was nothing in the documentary that I didn't already know, but if you were hearing it for the first time I imagine it was pretty shocking.

I have my own theories but I'm reluctant to share them at present as the investigation is live and will hopefully lead to criminal proceedings soon.

We can only hope that someone will listen to their conscience.

I’ve watched it twice now. clearly he knows what happened, I’m not sure if he was involved in the actual act. But he is showing signs of deception.
I’m also sick of his ‘woe is me attitude’. He is not the victim.
Poor Stuart has become a footnote in his own murder.

Totally new to this case other than having obviously seen headlines over the years, this was an interesting watch. I'd previously got the impression it was a simple drowning, but it's definitely clear that more than just that happened. The attempts by MB's lawyers to say "nothing happened here" regarding the anal injuries are so unbelievable it only raises my suspicion overall; the current "it could've been accidental"claim is just laughable. If he truly had nothing to do with it he'd be a whole lot better off saying something like "look, I was too drunk to really know what was going on, I'm horrified such a thing could happen in my house, etc etc", while giving police the full story, not arguing (against the evidence) that it didn't even happen...

As a side note, I never really saw Barrymore's tv work before the incident, and found the clips shown at the start rather uncomfortable viewing - all that physical contact with female audience members would be really inappropriate these days, I'd think; I guess times have changed but it seems strange to imagine that was ever fine for primetime tv. o_O

I suspect those clips might have been selected with that in mind though so I try not to let it bias my opinions - his own words and actions have done enough that way frankly. Definitely a coverup, whether it's of an accidental death or something more sinister, and who was most involved, who knows, I suspect only somebody breaking the silence and telling the truth will solve this, and after this time, there'd be little way to corroborate it anyway, everyone involved has either lied or "no commented" their way through the last 19 years so could we believe anything any of them chose to say now?

Last edited:
There was nothing in the documentary that I didn't already know, but if you were hearing it for the first time I imagine it was pretty shocking.

I have my own theories but I'm reluctant to share them at present as the investigation is live and will hopefully lead to criminal proceedings soon.

We can only hope that someone will listen to their conscience.

BBM: I was (other than seeing headlines over the years, which had left me with the impression it was "just" a drowning), and it was! We seem to have two threads now and I'd posted on the other one, copying here as this appears to be the original thread, the other one is at: UK - Stuart Lubbock, raped and killed at Michael Barrymore’s mansion, Essex, 31 Jan 2001

Totally new to this case other than having obviously seen headlines over the years, this was an interesting watch. I'd previously got the impression it was a simple drowning, but it's definitely clear that more than just that happened. The attempts by MB's lawyers to say "nothing happened here" regarding the anal injuries are so unbelievable it only raises my suspicion overall; the current "it could've been accidental"claim is just laughable. If he truly had nothing to do with it he'd be a whole lot better off saying something like "look, I was too drunk to really know what was going on, I'm horrified such a thing could happen in my house, etc etc", while giving police the full story, not arguing (against the evidence) that it didn't even happen...

As a side note, I never really saw Barrymore's tv work before the incident, and found the clips shown at the start rather uncomfortable viewing - all that physical contact with female audience members would be really inappropriate these days, I'd think; I guess times have changed but it seems strange to imagine that was ever fine for primetime tv. o_O

I suspect those clips might have been selected with that in mind though so I try not to let it bias my opinions - his own words and actions have done enough that way frankly. Definitely a coverup, whether it's of an accidental death or something more sinister, and who was most involved, who knows, I suspect only somebody breaking the silence and telling the truth will solve this, and after this time, there'd be little way to corroborate it anyway, everyone involved has either lied or "no commented" their way through the last 19 years so could we believe anything any of them chose to say now?

Based on the programme, some people, including MB, definitely know what happened, there wasn't enough to accuse anyone of involvement but I do hope this gives a nudge to the consciences of people there, after so many years they can't all still be held by whatever made them all be silent in the first place. I do hope this can be finally solved, and preferably while Terry Lubbock is still here to see justice for his son.

Also, although the reward (40k ?) is a great idea, they'd be implicating themselves and I guess there would maybe be some kind of perverting the course of justice possibility. I noticed one of the girls had the same surname as one of the arrested too.

One thing stuck with me, when the producer guy said that MB's humour was based around (my words) clowning around almost. And that his career died on its arse because it was distasteful to watch him clowning, after such a vile thing happened. I remember seeing him on Big Brother. The late Pete Burns talked about it in his autobiography, said MB was essentially always performing. I remember George Galloway doing the poor me, pour me a drink thing with him too.

I loved strike it lucky as a kid but absolutely you couldnt be climbing on top of women nowadays!

Deleted. Quotes won't pull through correctly. Will try again later :)

Last edited:
I'm genuinely struggling to formulate my thoughts at the moment. I don't think anything has upset me this much for a while. Stuart has been let down at every turn, it is so terribly sad.

There's so much victim blaming and smearing of his character that I can hardly stand it. His poor family.

I hope something comes out of the new information. It really is about time that whoever did this should atone for it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back