MA MA - Abbie Flynn, 60, went for walk before Super Bowl party, Gloucester, 2 Feb 2020

'Zero connection to any other missing person'

Quotes from article:
Since 59-year-old Abbie Flynn went missing on Super Bowl Sunday, people across Cape Ann and further away have been trying to figure out what happened.

People have hypothesized about coyotes, suspicious vehicles, and made connections to drownings and other missing person cases in social media posts and in phone calls to the Times.

The Gloucester Police Department wants to put the public at ease.

“There is no indication, zero at all, no, none that this is connected in any way to any other cases or that foul play was involved,” police Chief Ed Conley told the Times on Thursday.

Conley confirmed that this is based on evidence.

“I have been as clear and transparent as I possibly can,” he said. “If I thought there was some sort of danger to the public, I would err on the side of releasing that information rather than keep it. But there is none.”

The discussion of Flynn’s disappearance among community members ramped up on Feb. 9 when a poster on the “Essex, MA--Notices and Issues” Facebook page urged the public, especially “middle-aged women,” to take precautions when walking alone and referenced four other missing person cases.

“As of yet there is no word on the missing woman from East Gloucester and perhaps I have watched too many ‘Forensic Files’ episodes but I find this troubling,” the poster wrote.

The post was shared almost 600 times, reacted to over 300 times and had more than 60 comments.

One resident confronted a Times reporter late Wednesday afternoon expressing her concern, having bought several deadbolts to keep strangers out of her house since she has had unwanted guests in the past.

Has it been verified that the scent dogs traced her to the end of the drive? That is very telling to me. If I planned a party just a few hours out, I would certainly not go on a long walk. Something is very fishy here. Even if I go for a short stroll, I take my old dog. Yet, she did not take her dog. Not her phone. Nothing.

Gloucester Times on Twitter
“There is no indication, zero at all, no, none that this is connected in any way to any other cases or that foul play was involved.”— Chief Ed Conley of the @GloucesterPD #abbieflynn
EQvoEtAW4AEH5qc.jpg

10:11 AM - 14 Feb 2020

Where oh where could you be, Abbie? Did that smile hide sadness? Or did you have an accident while walking.... your family is desperate to find you. Friends and strangers are searching.

Hope today is the day that Abbie is found.

It's usually never a good thing when someone goes missing and they've left their phone behind. Is there any mention if she took her purse?

I would like to know if the house doors were found locked when the guests started arriving. LE will not release this information and it makes a huge difference IMO, although it raises more questions. Did she leave the house unlocked normally when she went on her walks? And if they found the door locked the same question applies.
If she normally locks her doors then I am more apt to believe that she did go on that walk. If that’s the way the door was found. If not, I’m not so sure. MOO

Last edited:
Where oh where could you be, Abbie? Did that smile hide sadness? Or did you have an accident while walking.... your family is desperate to find you. Friends and strangers are searching.

Hope today is the day that Abbie is found.
This is so very sad. No matter what happened, she is missing and many are affected by it, especially the mystery of it. I hope she can be found too.

It's usually never a good thing when someone goes missing and they've left their phone behind. Is there any mention if she took her purse?
Hasn't been discussed, but possible she could have been wearing an Apple Watch? Mine has cellular capability and can work on its own without a phone nearby. I did this purposely so I would not have to carry my phone on walks/hikes/etc. JMO

In any case, she didn't phone for help and has not been found though GPS, so probably no watch.

She didn’t t
I would like to know if the house doors were found locked when the guests started arriving. LE will not release this information and it makes a huge difference IMO, although it raises more questions. Did she leave the house unlocked normally when she went on her walks? And if they found the door locked the same question applies.
If she normally locks her doors then I am more apt to believe that she did go on that walk. If that’s the way the door was found. If not, I’m not so sure. MOO
I believe I read her keys were left in house

I'm mentioning the following not because I think it has any significance whatsoever in this case, but because it is an unusual piece of trivia, and because this is an unusual incident, which unfortunately took place on an unusual date.

The date of 02/02/2020 was the first global "palindrome" in 909 years. It was a special date. A date unlike any other. It means that the date is the same when read forwards and backwards (a palindrome). Palindromes can also be words, i.e., kayak, madam, radar, civic, level, refer, to name a few. This was the only time such a date will occur in this century. Palindrome derives from the Greek word for running back again. Palindromic dates have long been viewed as carrying special significance and even spirituality. The last time there was an eight-digit palindrome date was on 11/11/1111.

I'm mentioning the following not because I think it has any significance whatsoever in this case, but because it is an unusual piece of trivia, and because this is an unusual incident, which unfortunately took place on an unusual date.

The date of 02/02/2020 was the first global "palindrome" in 909 years. It was a special date. A date unlike any other. It means that the date is the same when read forwards and backwards (a palindrome). Palindromes can also be words, i.e., kayak, madam, radar, civic, level, refer, to name a few. This was the only time such a date will occur in this century. Palindrome derives from the Greek word for running back again. Palindromic dates have long been viewed as carrying special significance and even spirituality. The last time there was an eight-digit palindrome date was on 11/11/1111.
Ironically 909 years is also a palindrome.

See, keys and phone left at home (especially if door was unlocked, which I don't think we know right now) makes me think of a person who just stepped outside for a minute. Like someone pulls up out front--someone you know OR don't know--and you step out to talk with them. You think you will be right back in your house within a minute, so no reason to bring phone or keys. This is all MOO but it's just what it makes me think of. If someone comes to my door, my dog goes kind of nuts and I can't open it, so I usually go out through my garage and speak to them in my driveway. I usually never grab my keys or phone unless I'm already holding one or both of them.

See, keys and phone left at home (especially if door was unlocked, which I don't think we know right now) makes me think of a person who just stepped outside for a minute. Like someone pulls up out front--someone you know OR don't know--and you step out to talk with them. You think you will be right back in your house within a minute, so no reason to bring phone or keys. This is all MOO but it's just what it makes me think of. If someone comes to my door, my dog goes kind of nuts and I can't open it, so I usually go out through my garage and speak to them in my driveway. I usually never grab my keys or phone unless I'm already holding one or both of them.
I thought of this too, this is my theory rn. MOO

I read somewhere (news outlets) the door was unlocked. It must be a pretty safe area. I still think she drowned.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JR Rainwater
Back