KY KY - Warsaw, Ohio River, *VERY GRAPHIC*, WhtMale 58-68, UP55760, long beard, Sz 9.5 shoe, Feb'19

Maybe he jumped or fell from the bridge and hit rocks or fell on a boat ending in the lock.

This is Markland Locks and Dam KY where this John Doe was found. The Markland Locks and Dam is a concrete dam bridge and locks that span the Ohio River.

Last edited:
Paradoxical undressing is a term for a phenomenon frequently seen in cases of lethal hypothermia. Shortly before death, the person will remove all their clothes, as if they were burning up, when in fact they are freezing. Because of this, people who have frozen to death are often found naked and are misidentified as victims of a violent crime.
Paradoxical Undressing

I was wondering if it could have been someone trying to "cool off" from the affects of the hypothermia? Jump in the river?
I would have to say that he does not look all that bad to me. I have seen what several days/weeks have done to human flesh in the water. I could not imagine being his loved one finding this pic, however.

Paradoxical undressing is a term for a phenomenon frequently seen in cases of lethal hypothermia. Shortly before death, the person will remove all their clothes, as if they were burning up, when in fact they are freezing. Because of this, people who have frozen to death are often found naked and are misidentified as victims of a violent crime.
Paradoxical Undressing

I was wondering if it could have been someone trying to "cool off" from the affects of the hypothermia? Jump in the river?
I would have to say that he does not look all that bad to me. I have seen what several days/weeks have done to human flesh in the water. I could not imagine being his loved one finding this pic, however.

Interesting phenomenon...I wonder if they found a pile of clothes in the neighborhood where he was found.

Wait, Bit of hope--you were able to see a face in the picture? I did try to look at the picture from several different angles, but I wasn't able to discern much of anything. I know that the picture appears to be upside-down.

Also, the postmortem interval is listed as "days", so you're definitely right about him not being dead for very long. I'm just surprised that he was seemingly so unrecognizable. I do know of a case where a pregnant woman was found murdered in Lake Pontchartrain, Louisiana in 1986, and despite the fact that she had only been dead for less than two days, she was apparently unrecognizable due to decomposition. This was in June, though, and in a totally different climate.

The Namus file is changed...PMI is gone.....

Eddie is a bit younger than the UID is estimated to be (44) and he has a small teardrop tattoo under his eye. However, his height and weight are a pretty close match (6’1, 220-240 lbs) and the circumstances could fit. I usually don’t have a hard time with PM photos but I’ve been ill the past few days and don’t want to risk it... someone want to visually compare these two just to make sure? TIA!
EE4D791F-73A9-4C02-9328-EEEE1A65386B.jpeg
Eddie Dean Hall | Louisville Metro PD, KY

Eddie is a bit younger than the UID is estimated to be (44) and he has a small teardrop tattoo under his eye. However, his height and weight are a pretty close match (6’1, 220-240 lbs) and the circumstances could fit. I usually don’t have a hard time with PM photos but I’ve been ill the past few days and don’t want to risk it... someone want to visually compare these two just to make sure? TIA!
View attachment 228488
Eddie Dean Hall | Louisville Metro PD, KY

Looking at the UID, compared to Eddie, I see a much older man. Unless Eddie became gray and bold in between two years, I doubt it's him. UID's face is to far gone to see a teardrop tattoo.

Looking at the UID, compared to Eddie, I see a much older man. Unless Eddie became gray and bold in between two years, I doubt it's him. UID's face is to far gone to see a teardrop tattoo.
Thank you BOH!! I have a hard time looking at this one for some reason. That’s not usually the case, I don’t get squeamish. I appreciate you checking it for me!

I found Kevin Lee Hawkins , the circumstances and time frame fit, as do most of his vitals, but his weight is about 100 lbs lighter than the UID’s! Could one or both of their weights be off?
60BB4E9C-D0A0-4DC9-B448-C26A59F8E219.jpeg 909363F2-A1B8-4632-89F4-DCC75F8385CC.jpeg
- Spencer, Indiana (Warsaw, Kentucky)
- July 10, 2018 (February 22, 2019)
- 56 years old (58-68)
- 5’8”, 145 lbs (5’11”, 240)
- Long salt & pepper hair (grayish-black with beard and bushy eyebrows)
- Kevin is homeless and is known around the Owen County area. Although Kevin is homeless, it is uncharacteristic for his family to not know his whereabouts or for him to not make contact. Kevin is non-threatening and due to his homeless status, he may be in danger.

From Body recovered from Ohio River, Gallatin County Sheriff’s Office says

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was looking around the Unidentified Wiki and stumbled upon the case of a man found deceased in the Ohio River in Kentucky. He was found near the Markland Locks and Dam Bridge, which apparently runs over the river where he was found.

NamUS apparently stated that he had only been dead for a few days before his body was found and listed his condition as "recognizable face". However, the first picture that shows up on NamUS is a PM showing that his face was in extremely poor condition. I don't know, what, exactly could have caused this to happen, whether it be bloating, animal activity, or anything else. I did hypothesize on the wiki that he may have been traveling on the bridge when he was hit by a car and thrown into the waters below.

NamUS profile (*VERY GRAPHIC*):
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Anyone else find thae fact that he was wearing deck shoes in Kentucky in the winter to be odd? Given his unkempt appearance I wonder if he was living rough as they say, and was drowned and swept into the river when it flooded.
There is a way to get fingerprints from bodies that have been in water a while, they soak the fingertips in something, (maybe formalin?) and it displaces the water from the flesh and it becomes readable. That’s if they’re not too far gone.

MAR 11, 2020
Body of man found in Ohio River remains unidentified
[...]

In February of 2019, workers at the Markland Dam saw the man’s body in the locks. According to the coroner, the man did not have any tattoos or identification on him. He was completely nude but for one sock and a shoe.

[...]

According to Lafferty, the man had been in the water long enough that Gallatin County Deputies were unable to recover any fingerprints from the body. The coroner also says the man’s teeth had previously been pulled out, and it was likely he wore dentures even though he wasn’t found with any in.

Examiners say the man was white and between 58 and 68 years old. They think he was around 5′11″ weighing 240 pounds. When he was found, he was bald on the top of the head but had grayish black hair around the side of the head. He also had a grey beard 4-5 inches long and bushy grey eyebrows.

After several months of trying to get the man identified, the community decided to give him a burial in a graveyard next to Paint Lick Baptist Church in Warsaw, Ky.

[...]

The man's grave marker reads, "Unknown White Male. Found at Markland Dam, February 22, 2019."

Around the same time as his burial, the coroner contacted the National Missing and Unidentified persons system, known as NaMUS, to get a DNA profile made of the man.

[...]

The coroner says the autopsy found the man had a heart condition, but they still do not know how he died or how he ended up in the river. However, foul play has been ruled out.

If you have any idea who this man might be, you’re asked to call the Gallatin County Coroner’s office at (859) 655-5741.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back