KS - Layne Mays, 22, murdered by her brother, 27, Overland Park 14 Jan 2020

I also wanted to add that it is true that drug use and mental illness seem to go hand in hand with each other. Of course this is not true with all individuals. However, it is my opinion that the drug use is a means to self-medicate. What is hard to determine is what causes what. Did the individual use drugs which triggered the mental illness? Or did the individual start using drugs to help with the symptoms experiences because of the mental illness? Hard to say. And of course, there are those that have mental illness and don’t use drugs and visa versa.

It could also be meth. Same symptoms. Also if you take meth while on a ssri, very bad things happen. My ex swung at me with a metal bat in a fit of delusions....police said it was serotonin syndrome.I got out of that with only a broken foot thankfully.
Also, my fiancee now had a brother, fabulous artist and meth addict who also would attack family during his delusional periods and was pretty dangerous. He perished mysteriously in a house fire five years ago...I have his art in my house, and it's clear when the real mental breakdown started occurring due to use that lasted until his death.
Maybe he's schizo, maybe it's meth. Time will tell.
Doesn't feel like meth, or drugs, particularly, to me. He indeed may have supplemented his state of delusion by (so-called) self-medicating. Wait, this sounds closer -- I think it will be found he snorted Adderall (just a guess but has that feel) IF drugs played a role at all here.

Sometimes, there is just meanness, plain old organic hate, familiar to us since the dawn of time.

I posted last night regarding the unfortunate situation that many face who may have mental illness. Many people may say they feel no pity for someone that did such a horrible act of violence to their loved ones... and I have to honestly say that I would have felt the same way prior to directly working with individuals dealing with an acute mental illness. When I was offered a job to work as an RN in a psychiatric unit, I wasn’t quite sure if I had the empathy for it, mostly because I have never encountered anyone (friends/family/myself) that had any pronounced signs of mental illness. Just after the first few shifts, I couldn’t believe how eye opening it was for me and how naive I was to it. Most that I treated had mental health issues that stemmed from chronic drug use unfortunately. I could go on and on... but the sad truth is that mental health and psychiatric disorders do not discriminate and there should be more resources to help those that suffer from it.
Yes, I realize they do not discriminate etc., but still find their actions heinous and ask those who sympathize to give equal weight to the victim and his or her family and friends. Equal? More, of course; more weight for the injured and the dead.

It is my understanding that Meth works on the dopamine receptors and SSRI’s work on the serotonin receptors. Most antidepressants work on serotonin receptors but there are some that work on dopamine such as Wellbutrin. I’ve had serotonin syndrome before due to antidepressants and taking Tramadol (non narcotic pain medication) for an injury. I never became violent. I just became sick to my stomach, dizzy, and increased heart rate. I also know that using meth while on antidepressants doesn’t always cause people to become violent. Meth use is not good of course but not everyone on meth behaves the same way. Medications and drugs can affect every person differently. This is also why it can take years to find a medication that works for some people.

Not trying to be rude but I just wanted to clarify because while there’s always a possibility he was on drugs that led to his actions, we cannot generalize a group based on some people’s experiences. I’ve done this unintentionally myself before. We do not know why he did what he did or what caused it at this point.
I’m confused about how tramadol plays into serotonin syndrome. Can you explain?

I agree.

To think that his poor sisters entire LIFE was plagued by his ramblings, lunacy, and probable violence, and then in the end, he kills her?
<modsnip>

And while I know I suppose I should feel sorry for the rest of this mans family, I'm finding it hard to do so since it was their job to protect the daughter. But who knows? They may have tried to get him locked up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, our first clue was earlier, when he claimed a small Kansas city, home to an excellent private university, had been "moved." I'm talking about diagnosed. We all hasten to give the fellow the benefit of the doubt when those of less fortunate circumstances might be branded, just, KILLER. One we throw in prison and toss away the key; the other is "afforded treatment." Why? Why do we not see him as just some racist *advertiser censored* who strangled his sister?
I don't think anyone's giving him the benefit of the doubt, or excusing his behavior.

I'm a firm believer that there is a distinct difference between explanation and excuse. When something horrible happens, the human being in us tries to find an explanation for what led the person to do such a horrible thing. Mental illness and/or drugs are being discussed as potential explanations for his behavior. And frankly, we don't know if he had any diagnosis or treatment or what the backstory is with his parents/family/issues.

No explanation *excuses* his behavior. He still did it (assumed), and should still face the appropriate consequences as determined by the court system.

SBM

Parker John Mays, 27, was arrested at his home in Lawrence around 4 p.m. Jan. 14, 2020, according to the police affidavit supporting his arrest. Other court documents list the address of his family’s Overland Park home for Mays.

Allegations in affidavits have not been proved in court, and defendants in criminal cases should be presumed not guilty unless and until they are convicted.

According to the affidavit:

Mays went to a Lawrence business and tried to buy a rifle. The document does not specify the business. He reportedly told employees that his family was dead and he needed a firearm to protect himself; he also told them that “the City of Baldwin had moved.”

Video from a neighbor’s house reportedly shows Mays’ van pulling into the driveway of the Overland Park home at 12:24 p.m. Jan. 14. He left at 12:53 p.m.

At 1:26 p.m., a woman reportedly called police to say she saw a van headed westbound on Interstate 435 to westbound Kansas Highway 10. She said she saw the driver throw a boot, two gloves and a floormat out of the van as he drove. Officers found the items and some had apparent blood on them, according to the affidavit.

Man tried to buy gun in Lawrence, killed sister in the span of a few hours, affidavit alleges

Much more at link!
what a bloody, vicious death - this poor family ..
JMO

It is my understanding that Meth works on the dopamine receptors and SSRI’s work on the serotonin receptors. Most antidepressants work on serotonin receptors but there are some that work on dopamine such as Wellbutrin. I’ve had serotonin syndrome before due to antidepressants and taking Tramadol (non narcotic pain medication) for an injury. I never became violent. I just became sick to my stomach, dizzy, and increased heart rate. I also know that using meth while on antidepressants doesn’t always cause people to become violent. Meth use is not good of course but not everyone on meth behaves the same way. Medications and drugs can affect every person differently. This is also why it can take years to find a medication that works for some people.

Not trying to be rude but I just wanted to clarify because while there’s always a possibility he was on drugs that led to his actions, we cannot generalize a group based on some people’s experiences. I’ve done this unintentionally myself before. We do not know why he did what he did or what caused it at this point.

In understanding behavioral pharmacology, drugs do not cause violence in any case. There are predispositions (such as mental illness--more specifically schizophrenia) that can cause a person to be violent when they use drugs. The serotonin syndrome causes similar effects as someone on LSD (which activates serotonin receptors) which include hallucinogens, dissociation, and other effects but never the direct cause of violence. Also, meth and other stimulants affect multiple monamines (such as dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin). While many mental illnesses and drug use have similar effects they are not always equal. Many people utilize the dopamine hypothesis of schizophrenia for the equivalence of drug-induced psychosis, while this is not true. The dopamine hypothesis is about the lack of dopamine in the frontal cortex (where inhibition and many cognitive processes occur) producing the negative effects of schizophrenia making the brain produce excess dopamine in the limbic system which causes the positive effects of schizophrenia.

Overall that means drugs cannot be associated with a person's violence (not a direct cause) but can decrease inhibition (such as drinking). While on the other hand, a mental illness such as schizophrenia has direct relations to decreased social awareness and increased violent behaviors (and much more) due to the distribution of dopamine in the brain.

In understanding behavioral pharmacology, drugs do not cause violence in any case. There are predispositions (such as mental illness--more specifically schizophrenia) that can cause a person to be violent when they use drugs. The serotonin syndrome causes similar effects as someone on LSD (which activates serotonin receptors) which include hallucinogens, dissociation, and other effects but never the direct cause of violence. Also, meth and other stimulants affect multiple monamines (such as dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin). While many mental illnesses and drug use have similar effects they are not always equal. Many people utilize the dopamine hypothesis of schizophrenia for the equivalence of drug-induced psychosis, while this is not true. The dopamine hypothesis is about the lack of dopamine in the frontal cortex (where inhibition and many cognitive processes occur) producing the negative effects of schizophrenia making the brain produce excess dopamine in the limbic system which causes the positive effects of schizophrenia.

Overall that means drugs cannot be associated with a person's violence (not a direct cause) but can decrease inhibition (such as drinking). While on the other hand, a mental illness such as schizophrenia has direct relations to decreased social awareness and increased violent behaviors (and much more) due to the distribution of dopamine in the brain.
This is really interesting, thank you for sharing! I do have a question, though. I have a couple of relatives in Law Enforcement, and we see on TV all the time where people are jacked up on Meth or PCP or other drugs, and they are absolutely violent with super-human strength. I'm interested in how that works in to the physiological processes you've talked about above. (Not questioning what you said, just curious and interested in some further/deeper information).

Thanks!

This is really interesting, thank you for sharing! I do have a question, though. I have a couple of relatives in Law Enforcement, and we see on TV all the time where people are jacked up on Meth or PCP or other drugs, and they are absolutely violent with super-human strength. I'm interested in how that works in to the physiological processes you've talked about above. (Not questioning what you said, just curious and interested in some further/deeper information).

Thanks!
All I know is my personal experience with meth addicts, and what the hospital diagnosed my ex with. He was seeing shadow people and thought I was attacking him for some reason. He posted on his facebook my address and to call 911 (I already had, but his friends did also). I will say that when he attacked me, he was extremely hard to get the bat away from, and I am bigger and stronger than him normally (I box). Sober he was a pretty meek and weak (strength wise) individual. I'd be interested in learning how that happens also...I'd also seen it on TV but was still surprised by the reality of it.

Sometimes I think maybe the fear of the delusions while on meth leads to violent behavior....that and maybe lack of sleep plays a role. Hopefully someone with deeper knowledge on the physiological processes can answer :)

Thanks!

This is more about pain reception and inhibition than the direct action of a drug. It's easy to relate this to when someone has been drinking and falls/hurts themselves in some way but don't feel the pain during intoxication, but rather when intoxication ends. Strength is stopped by the pain reception in the nerves endings throughout the body and when on specific drugs the pain reception decreases. This is how the people displaying "superhuman strength" are able to push the boundaries of pain beyond a sober human. This is especially the case for drugs that also increase the release of norepinephrine.
Norepinephrine is the only known drug to cause a direct increase of strength (which is a neurotransmitter more commonly known as adrenaline). This is the "fight or flight" drug that is produced within the body (and what's in EpiPens) that is released in situations of high levels of stress. In situations where a person has decreased pain reception and has increased levels of NE the person displays unusual amounts of strength. But NE alone will allow a person to behave the same way especially in contexts of life and death such as someone lifting a car to save a loved one.

I love when people take an interest in the behavioral pharmacology of drugs! Thanks!

This is more about pain reception and inhibition than the direct action of a drug. It's easy to relate this to when someone has been drinking and falls/hurts themselves in some way but don't feel the pain during intoxication, but rather when intoxication ends. Strength is stopped by the pain reception in the nerves endings throughout the body and when on specific drugs the pain reception decreases. This is how the people displaying "superhuman strength" are able to push the boundaries of pain beyond a sober human. This is especially the case for drugs that also increase the release of norepinephrine.
Norepinephrine is the only known drug to cause a direct increase of strength (which is a neurotransmitter more commonly known as adrenaline). This is the "fight or flight" drug that is produced within the body (and what's in EpiPens) that is released in situations of high levels of stress. In situations where a person has decreased pain reception and has increased levels of NE the person displays unusual amounts of strength. But NE alone will allow a person to behave the same way especially in contexts of life and death such as someone lifting a car to save a loved one.

I love when people take an interest in the behavioral pharmacology of drugs! Thanks!
This makes a lot of sense, thank you for explaining. It is fascinating (and also very sad).

All I know is my personal experience with meth addicts, and what the hospital diagnosed my ex with. He was seeing shadow people and thought I was attacking him for some reason. He posted on his facebook my address and to call 911 (I already had, but his friends did also). I will say that when he attacked me, he was extremely hard to get the bat away from, and I am bigger and stronger than him normally (I box). Sober he was a pretty meek and weak (strength wise) individual. I'd be interested in learning how that happens also...I'd also seen it on TV but was still surprised by the reality of it.

Sometimes I think maybe the fear of the delusions while on meth leads to violent behavior....that and maybe lack of sleep plays a role. Hopefully someone with deeper knowledge on the physiological processes can answer :)
I'm so sorry you had to experience that. It must have been frightening and devastating.

Hi @Jewels53 - looks like I have your name for this case too! :)

Can you check and see if the No-Go Preliminary hearing is still going to happen tomorrow, 3/19? TIA!
animated-smileys-music-019.gif

Thursday, March 19th:
*No-Go Preliminary Hearing (@10:30am CT) – KS – Layne Rebecca Mays (22) (Jan. 14, 2020, Overland Park) - *Parker John Mays (27) (bro) arrested & booked (1/14/20) & charged (1/16/20) with premeditated 1st degree murder. $1M cash or surety bond.
1/17/20: Initial appearance scheduled. Defendant appears in custody, appointed public defender Cade. Defendant ordered to appear at next No-Go Preliminary hearing 1/23/20 @ 10:30am. Bond conditions: Electronic monitoring; no use of illegal drugs or controlled substances & submit to testing when direct by court; no alcohol; no firearms; no contact with victim(s) or witnesses, their residence or employment whether or not they post bond.
1/23/20 Update: Defense files motion for competency evaluation-granted. Defendant appeared in court. Defense asks for continuance, defendant ordered to personally appear at next court hearing on 3/19/20.

03/19/2020 COUNT 1 21-5402(a)(1) PLAINTIFF APPEARS BY SHANNON,DEFENDANT APPEARS IN CUSTODY WITH ATTORNEY DRISCOLL,COMMENT HEARING ON COMPETENCY-DEFENDANT TO BE TRANSPORTED TO LARNED,CONTINUED BY DEFENSE ,DEFENDANT ORDERED TO PERSONALLY APPEAR AT NEXT COURT HEARING (CD)(ER)
03/19/2020 SCHED. NO GO PRELIM HEARING on 06/19/20,10:45am,Div8

Larned is a State Mental Hospital.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23