Found Deceased SC - Faye Marie Swetlik, 6, Cayce, 10 Feb 2020 #5

FEB 19, 2020
Deputy Coroner on Faye Swetlik: 'the whole office shed so many tears'
Candace Berry, Chief Deputy Coroner of the Lexington County Coroner's Office, spoke with WACH FOX's Sooji Nam about working on the Faye Swetlik case.

[...]

The whole office shed so many tears over one death investigation, said Deputy Coroner Berry.

[...]

Toys, stuffed animals to honor Faye Swetlik donated to Prisma Children's Hospital - ABC Columbia
... Despite the rain, memorials in her honor are still growing.

But this past weekend, family members took some of those toys and donated them to Prisma Health Children’s Hospital Midlands.

[...]

“We were very fortunate that the Swetlik family, during their very difficult time, was able to think about the children’s hospital and the children here. That was a very selfless thing to do,” said Christy Fink, Manager of Child Life and Special Programs at Prisma Children’s Hospital. “Faye’s grandmother and some family friends came by over the weekend and brought us some stuffed animals from the memorial, and we were super thankful to receive those and to be a small part of the grief process for this family.”

The hospital relies on donations to help kids going through a scary time.

[...]

The hospital gets lots of donations around the holiday season, but they do taper off during the summer. Right now, the hospital is in critical need of pajamas and underwear for school-aged kids, teenagers and adults.

I believe I have read that he has siblings. Not sure their ages nor their sex.
It is just such a heartbreaking and senseless crime. It is sickening honestly. And extremely difficult for me to understand how anyone would select a young child to attack. I do not and will never understand.
My sense of these cases (and it never gets any easier) is that the perps have a lot in common. Which would be great if no one else shared some of those characteristics in common. Then we could round them all up like the movie Minority Report and stop them from doing any further harm.
I am heartsick for any family that has lost a child in this way. I can't imagine what any of them are feeling. I do hope that in some way something can be learned from this. But again, it seems like we will continue to learn more about the perps over and over and not a way to keep them from destroying multiple lives.

What makes me crazy is that our laws don't inflict more punishment on known pedophiles.

To make the assumption that requiring them to register as sex offenders and live a certain distance from schools is any kind of barrier to their behavior is insane.

The amount of recidivism proves that imprisonment, rehabilitation, even chemical castration rarely "cure" one of them yet we often house them for a few years and send them back out to ruin the lives of new victims.

We know that convicted pedophiles troll for single mothers, then move in with them for easy access to more children.

It's a scary cycle that can make you crazy if you let it. There are lots of little Fayes out there.

^^sbbm

I've watched every presser and probably 98% of MSM on this case and have never heard or read LE or others refer to CT as weirdness or having weird characteristics.

It was quite the opposite -- Bryon Snodgrass first reported that they had talked to CT and had been inside his home and they had no reason to suspect him.

It was only after-the-fact that they said during Tue's presser that there is video footage of him that is seen as suspicious.

Is there a link I missed or is this more fb stuff? TIA

MOO

No FB stuff from me. I was just speculating.

Perhaps I should have MOO'd?

I believe I have read that he has siblings. Not sure their ages nor their sex.
It is just such a heartbreaking and senseless crime. It is sickening honestly. And extremely difficult for me to understand how anyone would select a young child to attack. I do not and will never understand.
My sense of these cases (and it never gets any easier) is that the perps have a lot in common. Which would be great if no one else shared some of those characteristics in common. Then we could round them all up like the movie Minority Report and stop them from doing any further harm.
I am heartsick for any family that has lost a child in this way. I can't imagine what any of them are feeling. I do hope that in some way something can be learned from this. But again, it seems like we will continue to learn more about the perps over and over and not a way to keep them from destroying multiple lives.
There was an article posted last week that said he had been "close with his younger siblings" that rung enough with me I quoted and bolded it but that was before the press conference so discussing Taylor was a bannable offense at the time and now it's lost.

What makes me crazy is that our laws don't inflict more punishment on known pedophiles.

To make the assumption that requiring them to register as sex offenders and live a certain distance from schools is any kind of barrier to their behavior is insane.

The amount of recidivism proves that imprisonment, rehabilitation, even chemical castration rarely "cure" one of them yet we often house them for a few years and send them back out to ruin the lives of new victims.

We know that convicted pedophiles troll for single mothers, then move in with them for easy access to more children.

It's a scary cycle that can make you crazy if you let it. There are lots of little Fayes out there.

ITA!. Not enough is done.

For what it's worth (FWIW), it would help if we are all taught from a young age to value other people's rights/lives. If parents taught their children from a young age to respect someone else's boundaries and right to exist. I know that it is easier said than done. A person doesn't exist for someone else. The easiest victims are women and children. There are just too many cases. I am sorry. It seems to me, like in many cases, family members make excuses for someone. They may be in denial. or they may have helped along the way in sweeping up some very odd things about their own kids.

We read about these cases all the time. I find it hard to believe that no one in that person's orbit knew anything at all. Or if they did know anything that took steps to change any of the circumstances. The more you learn about perpetrators in these cases you see that they almost follow identical patterns.

Again it would be great if we could eliminate those individuals from society but there are also a great many people who would never hurt anyone who also share those same characteristics.

It would be helpful if from an early age parents would have the access to the best counseling and the best advice on the ways to proceed with kids who are functioning in such a way that could ultimately be destructive for others.

It would also help, if for instance, a minor who commits an extremely violent offense like murder or rape is known to LE. I understand why juvenile offense are sealed. But again, so many of these offenders have had prior incidents that would tend to reflect precisely what they will grow up to be.

JMO. But most of these perps escalate their behavior. They don't tone it down and they don't seek help for their issues. They continue to escalate. And it hardly helps that family members of many of the perps (not saying that is the case here) continue to behave as though those behaviors are anything other than disturbed.

I have seen some references to CT's court records from Richland County, but I haven't seen anything from neighboring Lexington County. It's hard to tell where the borders are between the two. My house is in Richland County, but across the road is Lexington County. I searched there and found two records from 01/20/2018, one for failure to dim lights, one for uninsured vehicle. He wasn't driving a moped that day. They don't have to be insured. ETA: So far. I've found four previous addresses listed For CT, not counting Churchill Heights. All in Columbia or West Columbia. ETA: He's had some fines on his driving record.

Lexington
Uninsured vehicle $440
failure to dim lights $130

Richland
failure to obey traffic control control signals 237.50
Operating moped without a metal plate $30
disregarding stop sign 155.00
driving under suspension 652.00 (when and why was his license suspended?)
Car repo'd

Last edited:
Faye's mother, seen here, and godmother hand-selected these photos to share more about the little girl's personality.
eyJpdSI6ImVlNDlkZjAyODAyNmNiMjRmNmY0YmM4NTVmNWQyNzJkNGIzY2NkOTZlNDFhMjcwYTRmNWM4ODRkMDc4M2M5YjAiLCJ3IjozMDQsImgiOjE3MSwiZCI6MS41LCJjcyI6MCwiZiI6MH0.jpg
Autopsy reveals heartbreaking details of 6-year-old Faye Marie Swetlik’s death

I'm behind on the thread and one of you may have already pointed out that many police departments have outfitted only a small percentage of their officers with body cams as many are underfunded and playing catch-up on newer technologies.

I would be surprised if this little town is flush with cash so there's a good possibility no footage exists of the interview.
Cayce, SC is part of Richland and Lexington counties both of which are well-funded. Lexington is quite affluent.

I am sure also posters can understand why myself (or perhaps other posters) would be suspicious of posters consistently posting in defense of a named perpetrator. Or why I might be suspicious of posters citing a lack of evidence regarding said named sole perpetrator. Or why those same posters won't comment on Faye yet are so concerned as to a rush to judgment. It bothers me as this forum thread is for Faye. Not Coty Scott Taylor and whatever he chose to do with his life in the last ten years. If there are friends or family that would like to speak on his behalf would be grateful (not spiteful) to hear. But as such he has been labeled a killer. And as such he is only worth my time in so far as we can find out more about him. We learned a lot about Faye in so far as we can. She was 6. Precocious and loved bright colors and was bubbly and collected rocks.
I can't stand to see video of Faye or even allow the personal details of her life to fully sink in to me, I have to maintain a clinical detachment. I can't afford to dwell on how these are just normal kids, this case in particular where there were literally none of the risk factors - none of them. I want there to be some kind of flag on Taylor. Something that could have told someone to intervene somehow, something we could learn, something I could take from this to better protect the people I love.

It still looks like there isn't, though and that troubles me.

I posted about CT's court records for Richland and Lexington counties showing some violations and the fines. I have not found any records for CT in the other counties in SC. I think the suspended license might be related to failing to keep insurance on a car or failure to pay a fine.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong but it appears that CT's autopsy and toxicology report is not public information in SC. JMO
As a resident of this state when my own mother passed away, via an accident, my step dad had to sign for me to get a copy of the autopsy report. I do not believe that these are easily accessible by just anyone. My mother in law works for a coroner in this state. I will ask her tomorrow how accessible they are but I’m fairly certain they are not public record via a Supreme Court ruling in 2014. They are protected by Hipaa law.

I can't stand to see video of Faye or even allow the personal details of her life to fully sink in to me, I have to maintain a clinical detachment. I can't afford to dwell on how these are just normal kids, this case in particular where there were literally none of the risk factors - none of them. I want there to be some kind of flag on Taylor. Something that could have told someone to intervene somehow, something we could learn, something I could take from this to better protect the people I love.

It still looks like there isn't, though and that troubles me.

I appreciate your honesty. But in all sincerity people like Coty do this all the time. I wish there was a way to figure out exactly how we can stop them. Because honestly Faye, age 6, deserves to figure out her way through life. Coty, at age 30, had not. And chose to be violent towards a child. And for me, his life history is only useful if we can figure out why. I would be shocked if there were not instances of stalking or obsessing for him. But those in and of themselves wont be able to fully explain why.

I'm behind on the thread and one of you may have already pointed out that many police departments have outfitted only a small percentage of their officers with body cams as many are underfunded and playing catch-up on newer technologies.

I would be surprised if this little town is flush with cash so there's a good possibility no footage exists of the interview.

This is so complicated and worth talking about. The whole bodycam thing here evolved into a fight with the feds, because their policy on bodycams conflicted with what our chief wanted to do in the name of transparency - Austin police at odds with feds over body cams, putting partnerships at risk

It would be so nice if there was a standard that was adopted nationally by LE in partnership with federal agencies and maybe funded for smaller departments.

There was an article posted last week that said he had been "close with his younger siblings" that rung enough with me I quoted and bolded it but that was before the press conference so discussing Taylor was a bannable offense at the time and now it's lost.
Yes -- it was CT's hometown newspaper -- I read the same and after the presser, the article was edited and that part was deleted as well as the statement from an unidentified neighbor that CT was somewhat of a loner but they'd hoped with his Sr awards for science and robotics that he'd be more open heading off to university.

MOO

As a resident of this state when my own mother passed away, via an accident, my step dad had to sign for me to get a copy of the autopsy report. I do not believe that these are easily accessible by just anyone. My mother in law works for a coroner in this state. I will ask her tomorrow how accessible they are but I’m fairly certain they are not public record via a Supreme Court ruling in 2014. They are protected by Hipaa law.

You are correct -- we confirmed this in an earlier thread. The autopsy report is exempt from SC freedom of information laws and also considered a medical record protected under HIPAA. In other words -- the state and feds both have it covered. This, of course, does not apply to the next of kin or immediate family under application for disclosure.

Unlike CA -- $10 can get you just about anything under freedom of information!

MOO

Just finished the last thread so I'm playing catch up!

When LE came to do their original search of his townhouse, I believe Faye's body was hidden in the roommate's bedroom with the door locked.

In response to their request, CT may have said something along the lines of 'sure, no problem, yeah, go ahead and search. Oh, I don't have a key to this room. It belongs to my roommate but he's out of town. He'll be back next week.'

At the time, LE didn't have a search warrant to break open the door but if they had gotten the door open, the first blame could have been cast upon the roommate instead of CT.

CT's roommate was not out of town.
LE said that the roommate was "not around much."
The roommate was staying with his gf at her place most of the time, IIRC.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back