GUILTY NEW ZEALAND - Grace Millane, 22, British backpacker, Auckland, 1 Dec 2018 #3

17 years is not enough in my opinion, but I really did fear it would be less than that. He will be on parole for the rest of his life even when he gets released.

Let's hope any further convictions he may obtain run consecutively rather than concurrently.

Detective Inspector Scott Beard spoke outside the High Court in Auckland after the sentence was announced.

“Today marks an end to the long and difficult time for the Millane family,” he begins.

“Even though their lives had been changed together, with help from family and friends they can finally move on with their lives,” he said.

Beard thanked the NZ Police who had worked hard over the investigation, and the public.

“The sentence is a reflection of the gravity the murder has had on New Zealand and in the United Kingdom,” he said.

He said he hoped it would give some comfort to family and friends as they come to terms with the "senseless killing".

"I've spoken to the family, they are pleased with the sentence but they won't get Grace back," he said.

Grace Millane: Murderer sentenced to life in prison with minimum term of 17 years

Detective Inspector Scott Beard thanked police staff who have "worked tirelessly" on this investigation to get "justice for Grace".

"I also want to thank the NZ public for the messages of support they sent through the investigation for the Millane family ... it is absolutely unbelievable."

Beard referred to the killer's actions as "a senseless and needless murder".

"He can maintain his innocence, but the jury found him guilty."

"Strangling someone for five to 10 minutes until they die is not rough sex. If people are going to use that as a defence, all it's going to do is revictimise the victim and their family ... I don't believe that rough sex should be a defence."

There was "no doubt" the case had been tough for everyone involved, Beard said.

In response to questions about the killer's emotional reaction to the trial and the sentence, Scott Beard said it was not for him to say.

"It's not for me to comment on how he reacted, except that he murdered Grace Millane. That's what the jury determined and that's what he was sentenced for today."

Grace Millane: Murderer sentenced to life in prison with minimum term of 17 years

Thanks @jamjim for all the updates. I really would have liked for it to have been longer than 17 years. I’m also shocked that the Daily Mail have now named him. I hope that nothing jeopardises any future trials he may have. My thoughts are with Grace’s family and friends.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
legalpyro74
Back