Corinne Elaine Perry
Homicide
17 YOA
Case # 83-02161
Creston, Iowa
Union County
April 17, 1983

Case summary by Jody Ewing

Corinne Perry, 17, had everything going for her.

The Creston High School senior had just earned a scholarship to college and planned to double major in psychology and acting. She belonged to the school’s mime troop, acted in several school plays, and also participated in Speech contests.

She was last seen Sunday, April 17, 1983 at a coin-operated laundromat in Creston, Iowa. According to authorities, a man walked out of the laundromat right behind the teen sometime between 8:30 and 9:00 p.m. the night she disappeared.

The following day, her car — with the clothes neatly folded and lying on the seat — was found parked at the laundromat. Her purse turned up on a highway bridge seven miles away between Kent and Lenox, Iowa.

Officials described the missing teen as a 5-foot-7 white female with strawberry blonde hair, gray eyes, a fair complexion and weighing 110 pounds....

... On Tuesday, Nov. 27, 1984 — nearly two years after Corinne went missing — her remains were discovered near a creek bed in a shallow grave south of Creston between Kent and Lenox, fairly close to the bridge where her purse had been found.

Due to the length of time since she’d gone missing, the coroner could not establish how she died...

union-county-ia.png

Union County in Iowa

corinne-perry-senior-photo-FB-292x400.jpg

Corinne Elaine Perry senior photo

LINK:
Corinne Perry

Excuse some of the typos / spelling errors. This occasionally happens when looking at microfilm or a few other sites I enjoy

(NOTE: Article mentions EUGENE MARTIN AND JOHNNY GOSCH for fans of those crime cases)

The Des Moines Register
Des Moines, Iowa

02 Sep 1984, Sun • Page 1

Odyssey of Hope and Despair

By LARRY FRUHLING and BOB SHAW

Several days after 14-year-old Eugene Martin vanished, Donald and Sue Martin, Eugene's father and stepmother, found themselves in a yellow and black sedan, riding with a stranger down the narrow road through a rural Polk County graveyard. The Martins were with a middle-aged, husky man who identified himself only as "Bernie." He had come to the door saying his psychic powers would lead the Martins to the graves of Eugene, Johnny Gosch, and three other young men. Bernie drove southeastward from the Martins' home at a maddeningly slow speed. Occasionally he pulled off the street and rubbed his eyes as though in deep concentration. The Martins became increasingly edgy as Bernie seemed to put himself in the place of Eugene, and then, as Eugene lapsed into unconsciousness, in the place of the boy's abductor. A week earlier, the Martins could in no way have imagined such a bizarre ride. Married only four months, they and the children that each brought to the newly formed household were busy adjusting to one another. Their main worry was that Donald was out of work and money was scarce. Now, Eugene had vanished from a street corner on Des Moines' south side in a haunting rerun of the disappearance of Johnny Gosch from a West Des Moines street corner nearly two years earlier. And the Martins' lives were cast upon an odyssey of grief, horror, faint hopes and crushing despair an all-too-familiar journey for two other Iowa families, those of the Gosch boy and of Corinne Perry of Cres-ton. Within hours of Eugene's disappearance, the Martins were under the magnifying lenses of detectives and reporters. Within days, they had learned of the slimy underworld of child *advertiser censored* and prostitution. Within two weeks, they had seen the story of Eugene's disappearance fade away under the dead weight of new no leads, no new information. Donald and Sue Martin, and Eugene's mother, Janice Martin, were the people most directly affected by Eugene's disappearance on Aug. 12 as he prepared to deliver the Des Moines Sunday Register to his 58 customers in a middle-class south side neighborhood. But hundreds of other lives were touched, too. An army of volunteers plastered the nation with "missing person" posters, searched woods and corn fields, and did whatever else they could to solve the mystery of Eugene Martin's disappearance. Attention was focused anew on the Gosch and Perry families and wounds that had never closed. Parents found fresh concerns for their own children. This story is about people cast into unfamiliar roles by the disappearances of three young people.

Continued from Page One is about fear, hope and anger, and most of all about the unbearable suspense of three mysteries jthat have eluded a conclusion, one for two years, one for 17 months, and one for three agonizing weeks. Almost four hours went by before "Bernie," the psychic, had made his way with Don and Sue Martin to Avon Cemetery southeast of the Des Moines city limits a trip of no more than six miles from the Martins' house at 1905 Frazier Ave. Inside the cemetery, Bernie said it had grown too dark to find the graves. By then, the Martins were frightened and only too happy to call off the whole thing. "Not too many people scare me, but he had my skin crawling," Donald Martin said later. The Martins, a friend and a policeman went back the next day to search the cemetery. They found nothing and they heard no more from Bernie. Dec. 18-21, 1983: "God, how appalling to have to sell a piece of chocolate to find our boy. . . . Christie and Tammy are working Locust Street Mall selling candy. A lady walks up to Christie, spits on her and says, 'I wouldn't help your mother find that kid if it was the last thing I ever did.' Our daughter fell completely apart. That will be the last time any of our children will participate in any fund-raiser." Noreen Gosch, whose son Johnny vanished Sept. 5, 1982, while on his Des Moines Sunday Register route in West Des Moines, wrote those words in her diary. Janice Martin sits in her darkened apartment by a telephone, brown vial of tranquilizers by her elbow and a cup of coffee in her hand. "I drink three or four pots a day," she says in a thin, brittle voice. "It doesn't bother me, because I take my pills." Since her son, Eugene, vanished three weeks ago, her life has been reduced to waiting by the phone and occasionally searching fields and ditches with teams of volunteers. "They let me go sometimes. But I was told that I shouldn't really come along, because if I was with them and they found something "First you get scared, then hurt, then angry, then you blow a fuse, then you start all over again," she says. "My mind isn't there. I'm in and out." Until Eugene vanished, she worked part-time, supporting three children. "I'm a bartender. A lot of people say, 'Yup! See?' when they hear that," she says, describing the telephoned accusations that she had failed as a mother. "It isn't true, but it still hurts. I've had six or seven calls saying things like, 'If Gene had been home where he belongs, he'd be there today.' I didn't know how many strange people there were." Martin recalls the Sunday Eugene disappeared. For her, the night before had been a late one at the Sunrise Tap, a fixture at East Forty-second Street and Easton Boulevard for as long as anyone can remember. She'd had to close the bar and did not get to sleep until 3 a.m. Four hours later, the phone jangled her awake. It was her sister-in-law, Linda Martin, telling her Eugene had vanished while on his paper route. He had been staying at the south side home of his father, Don Martin, whom Martin had divorced two years before. "It took a couple of seconds for it to connect," Martin says. "I knew he didn't ran away. I talked to him that Tuesday. His birthday was coming up, and he told me he wanted a ghetto blaster like his brother's." As the investigation ground into its third week, Martin says, "Everyone has their theories, but no cold, hard facts. I guess you could say there is no trace. I wonder where he is at, what he is doing, whether he is asking for me and his dad." Two of Martin's uncles from Saylor-ville, Roger Blanchard and Bob Walker, drop by to check on Martin. They have been searching for Gene, sweating through weeds for hours, and they are bushed. Walker, a likeable galumph of a man, plops onto a sofa. "Yup, every year the kooks come out of the woodwork, and them paperboys are easy targets that early in the morning." At the Sunrise Tap, a Tupperware box full of collected money sits on the bar. A note taped to it reads: "Janice You have our Prayers also our Love and Most of all our support. Your friends at Sunrise." Everyone there is fiercely protective of Martin. Between serving Bud-weisers, owner Darlene McElwee shook her head: "It's awful hard to lose a child. But to lose one with no finality to it is something else. People go down the street looking both ways now. Johnny Gosch upset them. This one made them aware." To a reporter, one bar patron says: "Hey. Don't write anything to hurt her, OK?" More than 400 people sit in the spacious sanctuary of the First Assembly of God Church on Merle Hay Road in Des Moines for a terror-filled, two-hour-and-20-minute program on sexual abuse and murder of children. One speaker, Bob Currie, had three children who were among many students allegedly molested by the owners and staff of the Virginia McMartin Pre-School in Manhattan Beach, Calif., Lot Angeles suburb. Currie tells of watching a videotape in which a psychologist interviews Currie's son, now S years old, about the boy's experiences at the school. At v y r 1 4, Eagene Martin Leads have dwindled Johnny Gosch Nothinybut dead ends Corinne Perry Disappeared in Creston the end of the interview, the child vents his rage by thrashing the puppets the psychologist has used as go-betweens for the questions and answers. "It looked like an Alfred Hitchcock movie" one in which his own son was the featured actor, Currie tells the crowd. A film made by the Minnesota-based Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children opens with a news conference called by two officials of the North American ManBoy Love Association. One of the lisping officials is saying that young boys and girls should be allowed to engage in sex acts without their parents' consent. It is, he says, a matter of "civil rights." He refuses to say how young is too young. The film ends with the heartbreaking funeral of Adam Walsh. Adam was 6 years old when he was abducted from a Fort Lauderdale, Fla., shopping center in 1981. His head was found later in a canal. Many people are weeping when the movie ends. When the lights go on again, there is an appeal for money to help find Johnny Gosch and Eugene Martin, and about $1,000 is dropped in the blue bags the ushers have circulated through the pews. The crowd's most enthusiastic applause is delivered for Noreen Gosch when she suggests reinstating the death penalty in Iowa for certain sexual offenses against children. "These pedophiles their desires never die," she says. The implication is clear: Even if their desires will not die, pedophiles adults with a sexual attraction for children will. After the meeting, Denise lies, 33, of Clive, explains why she came: "I have a 12-year-old son. The bottom line with me is, I'm scared. It's as simple as that." At the regular Corinne Perry Support Group meeting in Creston, the mood is brisk and businesslike. Since April 17, 1983, when Corinne Perry, 17, vanished after washing her clothes at the B. D. Highlander Laundromat, the group has brainstormed i 5 ( 1 Jf. V ' I ; 4 ? 01 rs!t Janice Martin "My minp isn't there . . i '!: lit. t- iStf&xA tfs4 jLAa iv y.x- The streetcorners where Eugene Martin, twice monthly in the basement of the First Congregational United Chur ch of Christ about how to find her. "Where are we on the fliers? Did we decide not to do the airports?" asks the Rev. Lyle Kuehl, the church pastor. He looks at the 13 people huddled around a folding table, then at Cor-inne's mother, Barbara. "Well, how many do we send to each airport?" she asks. "To Joplin we sent 10. How many to Kansas City? Denver?" Don Perry, Corinne's father, scans the table, cluttered with posters and pamphlets about Corinne and with magazines about missing children. The Rev. Dolores Docnch of nearby Cromwell gets an idea. She has recently married a couple in New York City, and the groom is a mechanic for a bus company. "Would it be advantageous to see if he knows about the ad rates for the posters in those buses?" she asks. Everyone nods. Corinne Perry and the two paperboys are the only victims of possible abductions in the state who are not accounted for, officials say. And as in the other cases, friends and strangers have instinctively gathered around the grieving parents. "I'd lose my mind without these people," Corinne's mother says. Support groups bake hot dishes. They lick stamps and call congressmen. They plaster posters in truck stops on their vacations. They cry with the families. But above all, support groups keep hope alive. Corinne's sister, Letitia, 21, keeps a plain, spiral-ring notebook to record every personal event that would be of interest to Corinne. The most recent entry is, "Lloyd and Laura moved to Council Bluffs." Letitia says, "I put in births, deaths, divorces, anything she will need to know when she gets back." Dennis Gregory Whelan, private detective, with offices on the ground floor of an apartment building on the west side of Omaha, Neb., worked on the Johnny Gosch case about eight months before giving it up in exhaustion and frustration. Although he is no longer employed Stanley Johnson Helped to search T r i 1 I f f iU ft r v - - ;,:.,' ' " J ' 1 :;';".., x V j i & t-A. -sJ top, and Johnny Gosch, bottom, were by the boy's parents, a color photograph of Johnny is prominent on his office wall, along with smaller, black and white pictures of about 40 other children for whom Whelan has searched Some were returned to their parents dead, some alive. In Whelan's front office is a large United States map on which are pinned 62 small red flags, one for each reported sighting of Johnny The markers span the msp from Fargo, N.D., to Mc Allen, Texas, and from San-Francisco, Calif , to Taunton, Mass. Whelan is one of many investigators, private arid official, who have been frustrated in their search for Johnny Gosch. They are well aware that they have so far failed in what they are paid to do. "I think everyone would take it personally to a degree," says Lt. Lyle Mc-Kinney of the West Des Moines Police Department, whose full-time assignment for nearly two yeai-s has been to find Johnny Gosch. McKinney started on the case Sept. 27, 1982, when he returned from a police-training school in Virginia. "You, you're given a job to do, and you take pride in doing the job as well as you can and reaching some type of successful conclusion," says McKinney. The Gosch case occupies four drawers in McKinney's filing cabinets. His carefully lettered notes fill a handful of battered, much-used notebooks. Thousands of tips and leads have come to nothing. "I don't know where Johnny Gosch is," McKinney says. "I don't have any idea." The Gosch case still brings five, six, seven calls a week from people wanting or offering information, McKinney says. "One of the things that keeps rne interested is that I have a boy that age who had a paper route at that time and was delivering papers on Ashworth Road that morning," says McKinney, who, unlike many other law officers, has retained the Gosches' respect. Detective Whelan, who looks like he has been down a lot of reads in his 49 years, tells of many twists arid turns in the Gosch investigation all leading to dead ends. Nothing came of Whelan's importing of a young man, a homosexual, from Omaha to infiltrate Des Moines' homosexual community in hopes of a lead to Johnny's disappearance. Nothing came of Whelan's trip to New England to look through thousands of child-*advertiser censored* pictures seized in a raid. Nothing came of the investigation of a Texas trucker who claimed to have picked up Johnny in West Des Moines and driven him as far west as Atlantic. "If he is alive, he's not in the United States," Whelan says. "And now, with the second one the disappearance of Eugene Martin), I'm not even sure he's alive." Eugene Martin has been missing without a trace for six days when Stanley C. Joiuison, a 63-year-old re Uhv . i - 4 - ' V' - .r. v 5 r frVN if, wt ,&sSj&&MfcA3HaW last seen. tired insurance salesman, drives up to a large cornfield south of Ankeny to help find him. Johnson and about 35 others who had answered the Des Moines Police Department plea for volunteers fight their way through the dirty, dense rows of 7-foot-tall corn for several hours in the suffocating humidity, sharp corn leaves slapping their faces. Their instructions were deliver ed at 8.30 a.m. by a bleary-eyed policeman, Richard Davis, who had been among the officers who went through part of the field from midnight until 3:30 the same morning, reportedly on the advice of a psychic. Davis tells the volunteers they are looking for a shirt, blue jeans and size 8 tennis shoes the Martin boy was wearing when he disappeared, or for Martin's body. "If you find anything, don't touch it," Davis instructs. "Just stop and call for an officer. We don't want any evidence disturbed." Stanley C. Johnson fumbled for words to explain why he had joined the search. For one thing, he regretted not having helped look for Johnny Gosch. "The fact that this has happened again makes you even more concerned," he says. He adds: "We've been praying for them, but sometimes praying is not enouph. We are God's hands and voice and feet. We need to pitch in sometimes. I'm not very good at expressing myself when it comes to something like this, but that's the way I feel." The search is fruitless. Two hundred and fifty miles away, Corbyn Jacobs, chief of the 16-mem-ber Palmyra, Mo., Volunteer Fire Department, requests missing-persons pesters of the Martin and Gosch boys. Jacobs, 62, and the "other boys" on the fire department soon have plastered western Illinois and eastern Missouri with pictures of Martin and Gosch. A few weeks before Eugene Martin disappeared, a Burlington Northern freight train went by Jacobs' house in Palmyra, a town of 3,644 residents. He had seen a young boy riding on a rail car with a dog. He called a Burlington Northern dispatcher about the boy and was told a railroad detective would get in touch right away. "Nobody called me back about that lad," Jacobs says.- "That's one of the things that touched me off about those Des Moines boys. Nobody seemed to care. That boy on the train had to belong to somebody, too. He had to be a good kid; he had his dog with him." The 300 posters distributed by Jacobs and his volunteer firemen are among 148,000 that the Des Moines Register and Tribune Company ordered to fill requests. Thousands of additional posters were provided by other printers. Noreen Gosch trembled as she inched her car down Forest Avenue past Thirteenth Street, peering through the dark for the fire hydrant where she was supposed to drop the 120,000 ransom. Beside ber, in a paper bag, was a "ransom" of two pieces of wood. J - - M! 1 :;.V . tf, '() 5 Crouched behind her in the back seat was her private detective, gun drawn. She thought of what it would be like get the severed hand of her son in the mail. Hours before, a deep voice on the telephone had threatened to arrange just that. She pulled over, stepped in front of the headlights and threw the bag down. Several hours later, police officers returned the bag to the Gosches. No one had picked it up, and there was still no Johnny. "I never was so scared in all my life," she said later, describing the false alarm that happened Oct. 13, 1982. She has since endured worse. Like an angry mother grizzly, Noreen Gosch has snarled and snapped and fought. She and husband John have prodded, begged, offended, hustled, stepped on toes and frazzled nerves. They have endured insults, accusations and a procession of swooning psychics. They have been dogged and even outrageous. But no one can talk to the couple very long without realizing they would run naked down the MacVicar Freeway if it would help them find Johnny. "We still walk by his bedroom every day," said the mother. Noreen Gosch is a phenomenon. Des Moines parents who have never met her refer to "Noreen" in conversations. She and John have appeared on the "Today" show, changed Iowa's kidnapping laws and supervised distribution of tens of thousands of "Find Johnny Gosch" posters. "Noreen should run for president," declared one woman in her neighborhood. "She gets things done." After the Sept. 5, 1982, disappearance, Noreen Gosch got some advice, she said: "A very wise man told me, 'Whatever you do, keep yourself under control. Make a plea for your son's life. But don't break down because if you do, they'll use your story maybe once or twice, and then it's done. You are in for a long search, and it's going to be up to you to keep the story going.'" . That she has done. And parents whose children have vanished since . Johnny acknowledge a debt to her. "There wouldn't be such a big deal about Eugene Martin if Noreen hadn't made such a stink," said a mother in a supermarket checkout line. By maximizing exposure to the public, the Gosches have opened them- ' selves to attack. Noreen said that at one of many of ; her presentations, "The publisher of a small newspaper said, 'I don't think you ever had a son named Johnny. I think you are doing this for the money, the power and the glory.' I told him, 'I hope they get your kid next' I don't have to take that I am arrogant now." t Dallas Davis, neighbor and close friend, snapped: "Most of the com- 1 ments I have heard from what I will ' call extremely ignorant people are things like 'Noreen appeared in full makeup,' or 'Noreen appeared on TV with her fingernails painted.' Who re- MISSING : Please turn to Page 7 A

Sometimes ADS in the newspapers or photos can be an issue when transferring text. So excuse the errors in spelling. Any names, locations, or other relevant information that appears to be lacking too much info or has a major spelling or grammar error that effects the context, please let me know)

The Des Moines Register
Des Moines, Iowa

06 Feb 1984, Mon • Page 3

Search goes on for girl missing nearly 10 months By GENE RAFFENSPERGER CRESTON, IA. Where is Corinne Perry? - It's nearly 10 months now since she disappeared from a coin-operated laon- - s v dry here. Corinne r- would be 18 now. She has dark strawberry blond hair, gray eyes, is 5 feet, 7 inches tall and weighs about 110 pounds. She has burn scars on the first two fingers of her right hand. Her eye CORINNE PERRY sight is such that she almost surely is wearing glasses or contact lenses. Her picture has been sent to truck stops,- hospitals, law enforcement offices, summer and amateur theaters and optical shops all over the United States. Theaters were picked as one target because of Corinne's interest in drama. The optical shops are a target because her vision problem is such that her family is sure she would need glasses. Her only pair was left behind when she disappeared. There have been many responses, including one from an optical shop in Missouri, and at least three from law officers who have reported finding unidentified bodies and asked for copies of Corinne's dental charts. But Corinne Perry has not been found. At the Creston police station, she still is listed as a missing person. , "We've never had a case here that 'we've spent even a tenth of the , amount of time we have on this one,' and to no avail," said Police Chief Robert Kessler. ' Added Assistant Chief Dean Jar--man: "I think we have interviewed 200 . people and, quite frankly, we don't know any more now than we did the ' day after she was reported missing." Lack of news, any news, has not dampened the unflagging spirit of the Corinne Perry Support Group, eight to 12 persons who meet each Thursday evening at the First Congregational United Church of Christ to do such , things as address the flyers that still are being sent out. The information sheets contain two pictures of Corinne, her physical description, some details on when she last was seen. The sheet also tells of a $2,500 reward for the information that leads to her location, i Corinne's mother, Barbara, attends the weekly meetings. She continues to maintain an attitude of optimism that Corinne will return or turn up alive. But, as time passes and nothing is heard, she acknowledges that sometimes she faces up to the fact that her daughter might be dead. "I think I have myself to the point where I could accept it if 1 was told she was not alive," said Barbara Perry. "Sometimes I think about how I would feel if someone came and knocked on the door and said they had found my daughter's body." ; Corinne Perry was 17, a senior in high school and a candidate for a col- lege academic scholarship, when, In the early evening of April If, 1983, she was seen leaving the Highlander Laundromat in Creston. A man described as in his early to mid-20's, about 6 feet tall, clean shaven and wearing glasses, left shortly afterwards. .. : I ' i- . Corinne never has been seen since. Her purse, containing her glasses, driver's license and make-up material, was found on a bridge about nine miles from the laundry. , The stream that runs under that bridge, the West Platte River, was searched three times, according to Chief Kessler ; : ' Kessler said when the influx of hunters and trappers came to Creston last fall, special notices were posted in motels asking that these Visitors be on the lookout for any sign of Corinne. The notices did not produce any results. ; Last week, Barbara Perry, told of a conversation with a person who asked if she has about given up hope. "You've got to be kidding,'? she said she told the person. "Until I know one way or the other, I still have hope."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-========================
The Des Moines Register
Des Moines, Iowa

07 Jul 1983, Thu • Page 16

Thurs., July 7, 1983 THE DES MOINES REGISTER 5M Creston folks gather to find young woman who is missing DES MOINES CrMton By FRANK SANTIAGO Realtor Staff Wrttvr CRESTON, IA. - With air conditioners droning in the church's basement, it's not easy to hear Barbara Perry s soft voice, but the sadness in her face says more. "Some weekends are horrible. That's when I try to keep very, very busy. If I stop then I end up crying on somebody's shoulder." It's about 7:45 p.m. on a Thursday and some of the two dozen people, young and old, friends and newly made acquaintances, have begun arriving at the basement of the First Congregational United Church of Christ to help Perry find her 17-year-old daughter. On April 17, for reasons that continue to puzzle authorities, Corinne Perry, one of four daughters of Barbara and Don Perry, who are divorced, disappeared after leaving a local laundry. The young woman's purse was later recovered on a bridge nine miles southwest of the laundry. But it has shed little light on what happened to her. After scores of interviews and a broad search of the countryside, the authorities have come up with no leads. Corinne Perry left the laundry, according to witnesses, followed by a man in his mid-20s. Police say the man isn't a suspect, but they want to talk to him. Now Barbara Perry, a home health aide for the Adams County public health nurse, has been joined by volunteers and an outpouring from businesses and church and civic groups in a determined search for Corinne Perry. "I'm thrilled," says Barbara Perry. "The first night we had the meeting I had no idea who'd come. Then they started streaming in. They did come." X?' I . K f V s i Embassy Club officers New officers for the Embassv Club for 1983-84 have been elected. They are Gene Stanbrough, president; Robert Buenneke. vice oresident: David McCoy, secretary; and Ben uivens, treasurer. Corinne Perry Lost seen at laundry At the front of the room, near the tables drawn into a square by the volunteers, is a poster on which Perry has pasted a score of color pictures of her daughter, a few showing her hamming it up at school, others at a birthday party, still others studying a home. They circle a poem penned by Corinne which the young woman titled "Discovering You" and which says, in part, "I'm seaching for something the surface can't show me, the part you can't see in the people you meet." Artificial Roses Near the poster is a small vase holding artificial roses. "They're here at all the meetings," Perry says. "We know they will not fade just as our hope isn't going to fade. We're going to find her." The meeting is reminiscent of weekly get-togethers of the Help Find Johnny Gosch Inc. volunteers in the West Des Moines home of Noreen and John Gosch. Their son disappeared early Sept. 5 when he prepared to deliver The Des Moines Sunday Register two blocks from his home. Authorities have been unable to determine what happened to Gosch Perry says she borrowed some of the ideas from the Gosches who helped her. She and the volunteers have formed the non-profit Corinne Perry Support Group Inc., using the framework of the same incorporation papers for the Gosch fund. Taking the non-profit corporation route, she says, is an attempt to encourage donations. The gifts will pay for a private investigator who has been hired as the Gosches have hired private investigators. Identity not Revealed Perry says the investigator has asked that his identity not be revealed. Hiring private investigators to find missing children has become widespread, says Kristin Cole Brown, spokesman for the Child Find Inc., a New York-based non-profit organization. But setting up non-profit corporations to pay for the investigators is something new, she says. "There's absolutely nothing wrong with parents asking for the help of private investigators," she says. "We always encourage parents' participation because they are the most motivated. But the problem is that they are so vulnerable to exploitation. There are so few investigators that have a proven track record." Gerald Shanahan, recently retired chief of the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation, says he wishes parents would "work within the system" stay with public authorities. "I have no objection to private investigators. Any help would be helpful," he says, but adds, "People end up paying twice, with taxes for the police and their money for investigators." Perry says she has no complaint with the authorities. "A Fabulous Job" "The DCI and the local police have been very competent. They're doing a fabulous job. All the law enforcement people have. We think this will add just a little bit more," she said. At the Creston church basement, the Rev. Delores Doench, chairman of the Corinne Perry Support Group, calls the meeting to order. The group discusses its charter, a fund-raising dance and a pork roast. It is reported the treasury holds $138.55 which has been swelled by a $103.55 check from Cromwell United Church of Christ's Bible School. When the check is announced, the committee members applaud lustily. Also in a local bank is a $2,500 certificate of deposit, the reward money that will be paid to anyone who finds Corinne Perry. ; Before the volunteers end the business meeting to begin folding hundreds of fliers that tell of the young woman's disappearance, Barbara Perry says, "They are scared because they know this could be their child. 1 his kind of thing could happeiv to anyone. We still have hope she .'is alive." PERM FEVER. .. CATCH IT! Permanent wave and haircut, now $30. Blow dry, curling iron, or shampoo set not included. This offer featured with selected stylists at Glemby Salons listed below . . . Downtown . 247-7078 Merle Hay Mall 276-0212 A v-r X 1 I MIHIACTKMALWAVf SouthRidge 287-2782 Save 20 on sun-loving,

This is all I have for the time being.

The Des Moines Register
Des Moines, Iowa

03 May 1983, Tue • Page 3

Witness sought in girl's disappearance
By NICK LAMBERTO Rtsliter Staff Writer

State and local investigators are seeking a man in his early 20s who was seen April 17 at a coin-operated laundry at Creston before a 17-year-old girl disappeared. The girl, Corinne Elaine Perry, a senior at Creston High School, was last seen at the Hylander, on U.S. Highway 34 at Creston. A man about 6 feet tall "walked out of the Laundromat right behind Corinne between 8:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. that Sunday night," said Gene Meyer, a special agent supervisor for the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation. "The man was described as having light brown hair, clean shaven and wearing a tan jacket and wide frame glasses. "We want to talk to him as a possible witness, not as a supsect. He may be able to give us information that will help us in the investigation," Meyer said. The missing girl's car, with clothes folded and lying on the seat, was found parked at the laundry; her purse was found on a highway bridge seven miles away the night she disappeared. DCI Chief Gerald Shanahan said Perry's glasses were found in the purse and "without them she would have trouble functioning on a day-today basis." The girl is the daughter of Don and Barb Perry of Creston. Her mother said that without the glasses her daughter "would have a splitting headache within 30 minutes." Creston Police Chief Robert Kessler said Monday Perry was reported missing at 11:58 p.m. April 17 and at first "we treated it as a runaway." "We've had several like that, any town does," he said. "And generally speaking they show up in 24 to 48 hours. "Then nothing happened and we had the local paper run her picture on April 25 and the person who had found her purse on a highway bridge came forward with it on April 28. "We became suspicious of possible foul play when we found her glasses in the purse. I then made the decision to call in the DCI and they entered the case April 29." Shanahan said a man and woman in their 40s who reportedly were in the laundry at the same time have been interviewed. "We have no leads and we are appealing to the public for any information that might help us find the girl," Shanahan said. Perry is described as having light 6 ' Corinne Elaine Perry Foul play is suspected brown hair, gray eyes and a fair complexion. She is 5 feet 7 inches tall and weighs 110 pounds. Her mother said Corinne had been awarded a scholarship in dramatics by Simpson College. "She worked so hard to get it," Mrs. Perry said.

Standard-Speaker
Hazleton, Pennsylvania

18 Dec 1984, Tue • Page 13

Few Hotline Tips Help Find Missing Children
Hazleton Standard-Speaker, Tuesday, December 18, 1984 1 3
Few hot line tips help find missing children By ROBERT E.ESTILL Copley Newt, Service WASHINGTON

- The Christmas tree In the receptionist's office is bedecked with pictures of smiling children. But now these children probably have little reason to smile. They are missing children -runaways, "throwaways" booted from home by their parents, children taken from one parent by the parent without legal custody and those abducted by strangers. The tree has been set up at the recently opened National Center for Missing and Exploited Children where Shot line" telephones ring about 150 times a day. Few of the calls are sightings of missing children, and most of the tins do nnt imu uiouaugiu parents to meir missing children. But in one recent case, a hot line tip led to reuniting a 6-year-old California girl - abducted by the mother two months earlier and taken to Alabama - with the father who had custody. A tipster, who recognized the child after seeing her picture on NBC's weekly "Child Search" feature, dialed the hot line number. Center staffers Worked with an Alabama district attorney in verifying that the child seen was the missing girl. But the odds are much greater against happy endings when children are abducted by strangers. Margarete Sanders, one of the center's five technical advisers who aid families and law enforcement officers, said her caseload includes 29 children believed taken by strangers. Only one was found. Corinne Elaine Perry, 17, of Creston, Iowa, disappeared from a laundromat April 17, 1983. Hunters found her skeletal remains in a field near Creston on Nov. 3. The center opened June 13, funded by a two-year, $3.4 million cooperative agreement with the Department of Justice. The hot lines have been in s.ooo calls were logged in the first month, according to Carta Branch, the hot line supervisor. Branch said about 60 percent of the calls are from people seeking general information about the center and Its programs, and about 30 percent are from parents wanting to know what they can do to help locate their missing children. About 6 percent are "sightings" - reports from people who think they have seen missing children. The remaining 4 percent fall in an "other" category, including reports of child abuse and exploitation. Working from a 58-question form, telephone operators try to elicit as much information as possible about sightings. The information is fed into computers and to the technical advisers who serve as intermediaries among parents, law enforcement agencies and local missing children "action groups." John A. Rabun Jr., the center's deputy director, said he can recall a dozen instances in which the center played a role in returning missing children. But he said the center does not always bear from parents or police when children are found or return voluntarily. But Rabun added bluntly that a frequently cited estimate of 50,000 abductions each year by strangers is "claptrap." He said there could be 20,000 to 40,000 cases "where some dirtbag snatches a kid and keeps him overnight." He said the number of long-term abductions more likely is in the 200 to 400 range. The Center has been able to identify only about 80 children as among the long-term missing believed taken by strangers. "There is no point of buying into scare tactics," Rabun said of inflated estimates. "I am scared enough as a parent when, even in 1958, the Kinsey Institute was telling me ... that one of four girls and one of 10 boys will be sexually abused before they get to adulthood. Now the data is that it is - A Rabun said. "He told him to go out and find him another 7-year-old. Steven, partly because he wanted to protect the 7-year-old and partly because he was jilted, turned himself in at the police station." One of the difficulties in locating abducted children is that they sometimes form close attachments to the abductors, even when they have been sexually abused. He said abductors always have some story for the child - that the parents did not love them, the parents died or that they will get their parents in serious trouble. The children sometimes are not even aware they were abducted. He said parents sometimes unintentionally aid abductors by teaching children to always respect THE ACES BOBBY WOLFF information because we do not locate children," Rabun said. "We are not a police agency. We are a clearinghouse for information. Our job is to channel that information to the people who do find the kids, which are the local police departments." A tough-talking Baptist minister who refers to child abductors as "dirtbags," Raybun said the extent of the problem of missing children is unknown. The center's pamphlets report estimates of 1 million runaways or throwaways annually, anywhere between 25,000 and 500,000 parental kidnappings and 20,000 to 50,000 children among the unsolved disappearances at the end of each year. boys." He said about 85 percent of the children known to have been criminally or sexually exploited were missing from their homes at the time of the exploitation. While the center has yet to be involved in the return of a child taken by someone totally unknown to the parents, Rabun said there is hope even in those cases. He cited the example of a young boy named Steven, snatched at the age of 7 from the Grand Canyon, who turned himself into the police seven years later. "The guy who abducted him decided the kid was no longer interesting because he had matured," A major focus of the center is education of parents, police, lawmakers and community groups on aspects ranging from prevention to legislation to search techniques. He said many police have not been trained to handle missing and exploited childrens cases. He said police too often wait 24 to 48 hours -a crucial period if it becomes a homicide case - to take missing children reports. At minimum, Rabun said police should take a report immediately and feed it into the FBI's National Crime Information Center, the computer network that makes information available to law enforcement authorities nationwide. Only about a fourth of the missing children cases are fed into the NCIC, Rabun said. Currently, the missing children's center operators answer the hot line telephones from 9 a.m. to midnight, Monday through Friday. After Jan. 1, the hot lines will be in operation from 9 a.m. to 3 a.m. on weekdays and from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday. The toll-free hot line number for those who think they have information on a missing child is 1-800-843-5678. Requests for information and assistance should be directed to the center's main number, 202-634-9821, which is a toll call outside the Washington, DC. , area. atuaent climbing transformer burned MURFREESBORO, Tenn. (AP) - , A college student who apparently touched exposed wires while climbing a power transformer in an end-of-exams celebration was recovering Monday from burns over 60 percent of his body, police said. Todd L. Taylor, 20, a Middle Tennessee State University sophomore from Washington, O.C., was being treated at Vanderbilt Hospital. He climbed one of the 20-foot-tall, 46,000-volt transformers at a Murfreesboro Electric Department power substation on Saturday night, police said.

Hello Richard. Always nice to see when you post. Quick comment based on nothing more than speculation and assumption here. Nothing factual that I know of. Just from past cases. This was someone whom had been recently released from prison at the time. Probably no more than 2 years or so after being released. Would have been on the sex registry list if they had such a thing back then. This was a crime of opportunity. He just couldn't resist the temptation. The urge. Not premeditated for this particular person, but he had options as to what to do next without the planing. He had/has a fetish at the time for redheads. Where they found the purse and body later. He lived RIGHT AROUND THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! add on...He may had used a van for the abduction, was thinking truck, But more like an old utility van that may had the company name sprayed painted over after he bought it.

Corinne Elaine Perry
BIRTH
28 Aug 1965
Creston, Union County, Iowa, USA
DEATH 17 Apr 1983 (aged 17)
Creston, Union County, Iowa, USA
BURIAL
Prairie Rose Cemetery
Corning, Adams County, Iowa, USA

Corinne Elaine Perry was born August 28, 1965, in Creston, Iowa.

She was last seen alive between 8:30 and 9 p.m. April 17, 1983, leaving a coin-operated laundromat in Creston. Her remains were found in a shallow grave south of Creston on November 27, 1984.

Corinne was laid to rest at Prairie Rose Cemetery in Corning, Iowa, in Adams County.

Her murder remains unsolved. Please see Corinne Perry for more information.

LINK:

Corinne Elaine Perry (1965-1983) - Find A Grave...

Is there any DNA they think could be from the killer found with her remains? If so, genetic genealogy could solve this. This is definitely a sad story. Nowadays, even small town laundromats often have security cameras, so in more recent times, there would at least be footage of the man who followed her out and maybe more and in a place like a smaller town, this would very likely have been solved that way. But this was in a different time.

This kind of stuff does happen in small towns, I grew up in a different area of Iowa and also in small town Minnesota and small towns in my experience are not always the safe places people think they are. Maybe why I'm even here commenting on true crime stories is how when I was about four in a small Iowa town in 1990 (nowhere near Creston), two strange men from a car with out of state license plates got into our house because we thought the plumber was knocking at the door and so we opened it. They left after a long while without doing any lasting damage, but I've never forgotten that. Then they went next door to knock on the neighbor's door. We never did find out who they were or what they wanted. After that, I've always been the type to like to see mysteries solved. Corinne's case may still be solvable. The killer was probably local, but maybe not.

By Andrea Cavallier
2020 rbbm.
1679620400569.png
''In 2009, the DCI established a Cold Case Unit and Corinne’s murder was one of approximtaly 150 cases listedthat investigators were hoping to solve using advancements in DNA technology.

DCI Assistant Director Mitch Mortvedt told Dateline Corinne’s case remains unsolved to this day, but they continue to investigate as new leads develop and as technology advances for forensic testing of original evidence.

“In Ms. Perry’s investigation, just like any other unresolved investigation, we strongly urge anyone with information to contact us with any information they may have,” Mortvedt told Dateline in an email. “Oftentimes people feel that the information they have is not worthy of law enforcement attention or it is not relevant. My statement to them is let law enforcement be the judge of that and no piece of information is ever ‘not worthy or irrelevant’ in an investigation and especially a cold case investigation.”

''Anyone with information about the murder of Corinne Perry is asked to contact the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation at (515) 725-6010, email dciinfo@dps.state.ia.us, or contact the Creston Police Department at (641) 782-8402''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021
Back