Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Emergency #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
People need to pay attention. The LAST thing any country wants to do is shut down income generating events!
There is a reason all of these countries are doing this. BTW. It's not due to a flu!

If you don't think it is due to the flu, what are you thinking? I am trying not to be dense, but I don't understand. Thanks, katt

That's interesting - that people who had the virus and are recovered are forced into quarantine to protect people who have never been sick. I wonder whether this is a question of preventing recovered people from infecting healthy people?

What's the story with antibodies from recovered people? Are they now immune from the virus, are they carriers, are they at risk of a more serious occurrence?

Hello, I just lost a very long message. WS's must be extremely busy. Anyway, I am not trying to be stupid, but why are so many people dying? I get that there is nothing to treat the flu, but what about the pneumonia that people develop. Can't they treat that with antibiotics? My girlfriend just had pneumonia a few weeks ago, and she was better within days after antibiotics. I get people with comorbid conditions, but it seems that even children are dying. Do we know why, or am I just stupid and either haven't read enough or can't figure this out? Thanks for anyone who can help me out here.

I believe this is a very scary situation. I hope that somehow this contains, as I am sure all reading here do. BTW, have any of you guys run into friends/people in general who think we are overreacting? So many people I have spoken to hardly know what I am talking about and then look at me like I am crazy. What about you guys, do you run into people who are totally not paying attention? Thanks, Katt

What if recovered people remained infectious and healthy people tried to keep them in quarantine until there was a viable vaccine. Recovered people in quarantine would protest, at some point, and healthy people would be at risk, especially anyone over 80 or any age with a health issue. That would be like a zombie film.

I believe this is a very scary situation. I hope that somehow this contains, as I am sure all reading here do. BTW, have any of you guys run into friends/people in general who think we are overreacting? So many people I have spoken to hardly know what I am talking about and then look at me like I am crazy. What about you guys, do you run into people who are totally not paying attention? Thanks, Katt

<respectfully snipped>
I do too. I feel like a bit of a fool being concerned as I am, but I don't discuss outside of family, and here. WHO said a couple of days ago that the window to contain the outbreak was narrowing, since then South Korea, Italy and Iran are independent hotspots.

Some people think the virus is a non-thing, but post secondary institutions have been implementing a strategy for the last 6 weeks. I expect that everyone, such as global governments, are hoping for the best while preparing for the worst.

I have one passion for sports and that is cycling and Giro d´italia is starting in may. Tour de France in June. Vuelta Espana usually around late July to august. As an example Giro d´italia starts in Budapest before it enters Italy. Cyclist from the world will be cycling around small villages and towns the whole summer. It must be stopped this year IMHO.

Giro 2020: Route and stages

ETA. this is what it looks like

EEz0e8UWwAAJpNJ.jpg

Hello, is anyone else having trouble with Websleuths tonight? I tried posting several times, and they all simply disappeared.

Nonetheless, I might be stupid, but why is this virus killing so many people. I understand that there is nothing to take for the flu, but when it develops into pneumonia, why can't they treat that? I get some people have comorbid conditions, but it is even killing children. I don't really get it.

I also don't believe we are getting all the info. When I ask friends what they think, most don't even know what I am talking about. And, if they do, they look at me like I am crazy and panicking. I am not panicking, just taking any precautions I can, including trying to amp up my immune system and that of my husband. I had a terrible flu earlier in the winter, and it lasted close to six weeks, and I have never had the flu in my life and also usually very healthy. This is also, unfortunately, the first time I ever got the flu shot. I would prefer that we are told the truth, at least to let people get prepared in the case of it becoming widespread in our country. Thanks to any who can answer my questions. Katt

I have one passion for sports and that is cycling and Giro d´italia is starting in may. Tour de France in June. Vuelta Espana usually around late July to august. As an example Giro d´italia starts in Budapest before it enters Italy. Cyclist from the world will be cycling around small villages and towns the whole summer. It must be stopped this year IMHO.

Giro 2020: Route and stages

Summer Games in Japan are also a thing. Tour de France includes Italy? I think the global economy must be stopped to stop the spread of the deadly virus, but so far borders are open, WHO is stalling on calling a pandemic a pandemic, and economics are prevalent in the minds of governments. From a government viewpoint, the perspective would be that most people survive and they need strong leadership. The longer they can delay awareness of pandemic, the longer there is to manage the economy.

I don't know why my posts have posted several times. So sorry, to all. It appeared that they were not posting at all, and I had to exit the Internet and reload Websleuths. Again, sorry. I did not try to make the posts do that. Katt

Hello, is anyone else having trouble with Websleuths tonight? I tried posting several times, and they all simply disappeared.

Nonetheless, I might be stupid, but why is this virus killing so many people. I understand that there is nothing to take for the flu, but when it develops into pneumonia, why can't they treat that? I get some people have comorbid conditions, but it is even killing children. I don't really get it.

I also don't believe we are getting all the info. When I ask friends what they think, most don't even know what I am talking about. And, if they do, they look at me like I am crazy and panicking. I am not panicking, just taking any precautions I can, including trying to amp up my immune system and that of my husband. I had a terrible flu earlier in the winter, and it lasted close to six weeks, and I have never had the flu in my life and also usually very healthy. This is also, unfortunately, the first time I ever got the flu shot. I would prefer that we are told the truth, at least to let people get prepared in the case of it becoming widespread in our country. Thanks to any who can answer my questions. Katt

From reading about this virus early on, it sounds like it can suddenly turn from 3 weeks recovering to death in 24 hours. It seems to silently invade organs and attack at once, with worst case scenario being kidneys and lungs simultaneously, gradually choking lungs as they feel like glass.

Young children are not killed by the virus. What if the virus was smart enough to only kill aged hosts and preserve a continuous supply of young hosts. That's a bit of a dystopian sci fi novel idea, but what if? Aren't we living in the world of sci fi with people in space suits checking temps and monitoring the general population?

The truth today is that the WHO has said that window to prevent a pandemic is narrowing. The next day, Italy, Iran and South Korea announced unknown sources for infection. Canada also had a case from Iran with unknown source. The truth is out there, it's just a question of what people do with the information.

Summer Games in Japan are also a thing. Tour de France includes Italy? I think the global economy must be stopped to stop the spread of the deadly virus, but so far borders are open, WHO is stalling on calling a pandemic a pandemic, and economics are prevalent in the minds of governments. From a government viewpoint, the perspective would be that most people survive and they need strong leadership. The longer they can delay awareness of pandemic, the longer there is to manage the economy.

BBM
I agree about the games in Japan. Cykling has 3 grand tours every summer. Giro d´italia, Italy, Tour de France,France, and Vuelta Espana, Spain. It is usually the same professional teams competing in all three of them. Every one of the three goes on for about three weeks and every stage is about 12 miles if my converter was right (20 european miles) this means they travel far and wide in each country. On top of that there are all staff, the cars that follows every team, and huge audiences through it all.

BBM
I agree about the games in Japan. Cykling has 3 grand tours every summer. Giro d´italia, Italy, Tour de France,France, and Vuelta Espana, Spain. It is usually the same professional teams competing in all three of them. Every one of the three goes on for about three weeks and every stage is about 12 miles if my converter was right (20 european miles) this means they travel far and wide in each country. On top of that there are all staff, the cars that follows every team, and huge audiences through it all.

Public events have been cancelled in China and in the Italian cities affected by the virus. School and transportation are cancelled. Depending on who hosts the bike races, and open borders, perhaps the athletes are not concerned.

Perhaps everyone, healthy persons under the age of 40, conclude that this virus is not a threat and therefore, life should go on.

Well, well...re: Princess Cruise Lines, it seems the videos we’ve seen upstream isn’t Jan Schwartz’ first time responding to an “issue” via video...I forgot all about Princess’ “Dirty Little Secret”...(starts around the 37:00ish mark)

(FTR David Abel and Family said Princess and Jan S. have been amazing through all of this).

The below was an interesting video for many reasons. One highlight includes showing the response methods in place in the event of a Norovirus outbreak - transmission is discussed (“all it takes is one person”), as well as the quarantine and hazmat clean up procedures.

Channel 4 UK Documentary / Top Files - When cruises go wrong - the whole truth

Last edited:
May 9, 2020 - May 31, 2020 - The 102nd edition of the Giro d’Italia kicks off in the Hungarian capital, Budapest, and includes three individual time trials, with the final test against the clock coming on the last day in Milan

May 9 is soon, I will follow this. nothing mentioned of the virus on the Official giro board.

I am very concerned actually.

upload_2020-2-23_7-42-19.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads