NJ NJ - Betty Jean Belt, 16, East Brunswick, went for bike ride, found murdered, 1 Jul 1975

PastTense

Reaction score
"EAST BRUNSWICK – On the morning of July 1, 1975, 16-year-old Betty Jean Belt went for a bicycle ride on rural Cranbury Road, where she lived, and never returned home.

Three weeks later on the evening of July 21, the decomposed body of the 5-foot-5-inch tall girl with brown hair and eyes was found in dense undergrowth in the woods by a stream near the Helmetta border.

The East Brunswick High School junior was identified through dental records.

Her father, Robert Belt, had told police his daughter was last seen wearing blue jeans and a short sleeve pullover blue shirt. He had passed her on her bicycle as he drove home for lunch.

"A pair of blue jeans were around the girl's ankles when the body was retrieved from the ditch and a similar blue shirt was found nearby. The body was clothed in panties and a bra when found," according to a July 23, 1975 Home News report."

East Brunswick cold case: Who killed 16-year-old Betty Jean Belt in 1975?

73577f57-861c-4436-bd31-dc50c4fc0e02-BettyJeanBelt.jpg

Betty Jean Belt (Photo: ~File)

"EAST BRUNSWICK – On the morning of July 1, 1975, 16-year-old Betty Jean Belt went for a bicycle ride on rural Cranbury Road, where she lived, and never returned home.

Three weeks later on the evening of July 21, the decomposed body of the 5-foot-5-inch tall girl with brown hair and eyes was found in dense undergrowth in the woods by a stream near the Helmetta border.

The East Brunswick High School junior was identified through dental records.

Her father, Robert Belt, had told police his daughter was last seen wearing blue jeans and a short sleeve pullover blue shirt. He had passed her on her bicycle as he drove home for lunch.

"A pair of blue jeans were around the girl's ankles when the body was retrieved from the ditch and a similar blue shirt was found nearby. The body was clothed in panties and a bra when found," according to a July 23, 1975 Home News report."

East Brunswick cold case: Who killed 16-year-old Betty Jean Belt in 1975?

73577f57-861c-4436-bd31-dc50c4fc0e02-BettyJeanBelt.jpg

Betty Jean Belt (Photo: ~File)
So many unsolved cases. This one over 40 yrs old. Her parents are gone, sister must be around 60. I hope somebody somewhere knows something & comes forward! So little to go on.

May 26 2019 rbbm.
Cold case NJ: Who killed 16-year-old Betty Jean Belt in 1975?
"Barbara Robba Dipierro of Monroe, who grew up in East Brunswick near the fairgrounds, said she learned about Belt's story four years ago through her middle school's Facebook group. She said, ironically, something similar had happened to her the summer of 1975 when she was 8 years old."
1025af3f-4133-4ab0-aba4-60cf20e1cdd0-Yellow_House_on_Cranbury.jpg

In 1975. 16-year-old Betty Jean Belt lived near this house on Cranbury Road across from Middlesex County Fairgrounds. Her body was found two miles away in Helmetta Woods. Her murder case never was solved. (Photo: Bob Makin/staff photo)

"I would go out first thing in the morning and ride my bike up and down the street," she said.

Dipierro said she was riding her bicycle down the street when a man tried to drive her off the road. He pulled over to talk to her.

"He wanted me to go with him some place. He said he wanted to take naked pictures of me. It scared me," said Dipierro, adding she can still picture the man in her mind as in his late 30s or early 40s with a build smaller than her father's and driving a small car filled with boxes of feminine hygiene pads.

"I did get away from him. It did freak me out," she said, adding the man could have grabbed her.

Dipierro said she has no idea if the man she encountered also was involved in Belt's death..

"That area is desolate. It was very rural, all farmland," she said, adding there were not many homes on the street. She said the encounter has made her cautious her entire life"
"Figueroa remembers Belt as having wavy auburn hair that fell just below her shoulders.
Ironically the summer Belt disappeared Figueroa had been sent to visit an aunt in upstate New York because her grandfather had a dream that something would happen to her while she was riding her bicycle."
"I still remember the look of shock on my aunt's face, my grandfather had predicted it," she said. "I could have been with her."

"How you can help
Anyone with information about the case can submit it anonymously by calling 1-800-939-9600 or submit it online at www.middlesextips.com. Tips also may be sent by text messaging 274637 (CRIMES) with the keyword: “midtip” followed by the tip information."

May 26 2019 rbbm.
Cold case NJ: Who killed 16-year-old Betty Jean Belt in 1975?
"Barbara Robba Dipierro of Monroe, who grew up in East Brunswick near the fairgrounds, said she learned about Belt's story four years ago through her middle school's Facebook group. She said, ironically, something similar had happened to her the summer of 1975 when she was 8 years old."
1025af3f-4133-4ab0-aba4-60cf20e1cdd0-Yellow_House_on_Cranbury.jpg

In 1975. 16-year-old Betty Jean Belt lived near this house on Cranbury Road across from Middlesex County Fairgrounds. Her body was found two miles away in Helmetta Woods. Her murder case never was solved. (Photo: Bob Makin/staff photo)

"I would go out first thing in the morning and ride my bike up and down the street," she said.

Dipierro said she was riding her bicycle down the street when a man tried to drive her off the road. He pulled over to talk to her.

"He wanted me to go with him some place. He said he wanted to take naked pictures of me. It scared me," said Dipierro, adding she can still picture the man in her mind as in his late 30s or early 40s with a build smaller than her father's and driving a small car filled with boxes of feminine hygiene pads.

"I did get away from him. It did freak me out," she said, adding the man could have grabbed her.

Dipierro said she has no idea if the man she encountered also was involved in Belt's death..

"That area is desolate. It was very rural, all farmland," she said, adding there were not many homes on the street. She said the encounter has made her cautious her entire life"
"Figueroa remembers Belt as having wavy auburn hair that fell just below her shoulders.
Ironically the summer Belt disappeared Figueroa had been sent to visit an aunt in upstate New York because her grandfather had a dream that something would happen to her while she was riding her bicycle."
"I still remember the look of shock on my aunt's face, my grandfather had predicted it," she said. "I could have been with her."

"How you can help
Anyone with information about the case can submit it anonymously by calling 1-800-939-9600 or submit it online at www.middlesextips.com. Tips also may be sent by text messaging 274637 (CRIMES) with the keyword: “midtip” followed by the tip information."
I wonder if an LE sketch artist could get an image from Dipierro. From that perhaps age enhance- maybe even each decade till now. Perhaps someone would recognize. They know the height of Diperro’s dad from old driver’s license record, & creeper was shorter than him. Also could figure out who in the area had many sisters or daughters- or any other reason to have that many boxes of feminine hygiene pads.

Mind-blowing Dipierro‘s grandfather had such a strong gut instinct that he felt compelled to convince the family to relocate her for a summer. I wonder if he met someone or heard/saw something that prompted that feeling.

In picture 4. Is that the spot they assume she was taking from while bike riding. Or is that the place her bike and other items were dumped and she was found about 2 miles away. Im confused. her bike and shoes were found here. If she was abducted while bike riding, seems the killer would have just left the bike where it was at and just take the girl. Makes no sense to take the bike and the girl then dump the bike here with the shoes and then leave her about two miles away.....Unless she may had gotten a flat or other problem, chain came off etc and she was pushing her bike and someone stopped to help and threw the bike in the back of a say flat bed pick up truck or what ever. Then dumped it later with her shoes. .......Any one know for sure?............Its my hunch were the bike and shoes were found they were dumped there after she was placed about two miles away, and not abducted in this spot and her bike and shoes were just left there. Anyone know?...........ADD ON. If this was the place they suspect she was abducted from, then i can see her bike and shoes were left there if she was wearing something like flip flops being summer. During a struggle it would have been easy for her to loose her shoes from her feet and have them found with the bike at this spot..........TWO QUESTIONS. Did the bike show it had a flat and or was the chain off. Something that would had have her walking her bike instead of riding it. AND TWO. Was she wearing flip flops? Two easy questions and yet will be two of the hardest to get answers too. Just my experience in question asking..........About the shoes, were they found as if they were placed there. side by side close to each other whatever. Or did they appear to have landed where found after falling off her feet say during a struggle.

Last edited:
I always like to pull original news articles to get the facts. This one I've attached is just downright strange. I feel that it must have been someone local to know where to go with her in those Helmetta woods.

Attachments

• Betty Belt.jpg
    Betty Belt.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 47
I always like to pull original news articles to get the facts. This one I've attached is just downright strange. I feel that it must have been someone local to know where to go with her in those Helmetta woods.
That is strange. The next day riding a bicycle could be mistaken identity. The call i dont know. Both occurred the day after. Being early in the investigation both statements could have been concluded to be inaccurate. Would be nice to have the police report. Would like to know what was reported to had been spoken during the call. I dont think either occurred, but we need the police report to know more about each and other things. Its so cold I wish they would just release it.

Yup, start over from the day Betty went missing. Police report would be a good place to start. Friends and familysy be able to help with information from that first day. MOO

She was found in the woods near a stream 'near the Helmetta border'. I know where that is, I feel it would have to be someone familiar with the area. I looked on the new website that combines all missing people to see if others in the area went missing around that time, chances are, it's not the person's first or last one. Being as were now on lockdown because of this virus with lots of time on my hands now, I'm going to take a walk through there today on my way fishing at the old snuff mill pond. Here's a picture of 'around' where she was found. I don't expect to find anything, but I looked at the area on NETRonline: Historic Aerials and there was only one road that goes in there back in the day. Only someone local would have known that.

I wonder if an LE sketch artist could get an image from Dipierro. From that perhaps age enhance- maybe even each decade till now. Perhaps someone would recognize. They know the height of Diperro’s dad from old driver’s license record, & creeper was shorter than him. Also could figure out who in the area had many sisters or daughters- or any other reason to have that many boxes of feminine hygiene pads.

Mind-blowing Dipierro‘s grandfather had such a strong gut instinct that he felt compelled to convince the family to relocate her for a summer. I wonder if he met someone or heard/saw something that prompted that feeling.
Could the person with the car filled with feminine hygiene pads be at all related to the Personal Products hijacking just a few months prior? A tractor trailer was stolen just 10 minutes away from here. And I'm not so sure the guard is innocent. Maybe the guy that tried to get Dipierro was involved. I attached the article.

Attachments

• Personal Products Hijacking Jan 1975.jpg
    Personal Products Hijacking Jan 1975.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 8
Could the person with the car filled with feminine hygiene pads be at all related to the Personal Products hijacking just a few months prior? A tractor trailer was stolen just 10 minutes away from here. And I'm not so sure the guard is innocent. Maybe the guy that tried to get Dipierro was involved. I attached the article.
Welcome to Ws calmb4! Excellent find regarding the napkin theft!

Just digging a little and found there are several unsolved murders during this time period. There were also several serial killers in the area. It was interesting to see the different methods and body placements between the killers or rrad about in case summaries…blunt force trauma, forced drowning, and stabbing seemed to be the three primary methods. I’m not sure if the website I’m linking is okay but it lists these cases, including BB. Cases New Jersey Girl Murders 1960-1980

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back