MI MI - Mary Jean McLaughlin, 27, Lake Odessa, 1965

In 1947 when Mary's mother died she had two brothers who were minors. Lyle and George were 13 and 15. George was 26. I think Willard considered the boys able to care for themselves.
Also, Mary's mother, Hazel, had a sister named Goldie but as far as I can see she was not Goldie Blair.

Det. Morey is no longer with Ionia State Police. He has caused setbacks in the case in my opinion. He got his name in the papers for solving a murder in Hubbardston MI and wanted to do it again. He annoyed other investigators, refused to share info with us and tried to tell us we couldn't seek help elsewhere. He started this idea that Mary is in Canada. The woman in Canada has the same name and birth date but 5 years younger. Canada is full of people who came from the UK. In UK and Ireland Mary Mclaughlins are like Mary Smiths, tons of them. Also the woman in Canada has siblings there. None of Mary's siblings are unaccounted for. They all lived in the US and died in the US. The Canadian police staked out the woman's home and got DNA from her trash which was NOT a match to Mary. Mary wore coke bottle thick glasses. The woman in the photos I saw did not even wear glasses. As an artist I pay pretty close attention to how faces age and I cannot see the woman in the photos having started out looking like young Mary. It's very annoying that the police now just default to, "Didn't they find her in Canada?" without looking at the facts.

Hazel M. (Reeves) Beatty and her husband Willard Beatty had six children.
Daughters:
Dorothy (Beatty) Klopp who died at age 25 in 1947.
Mrs. Paul Torrey of Muskegon, MI (first name not stated in news account)
Mary Jean Beatty (later Blair, later McLaughlin)
Sons:
George Beatty
Lyle Beatty
Claude Beatty

Hazel had two surviving brothers: William and Earl Reeves, and two surviving sisters: Dorothy Beach and Goldie Gilferny all of Battle Creek, Michigan.

Last edited:
In 1947 when Mary's mother died she had two brothers who were minors. Lyle and George were 13 and 15. George was 26. I think Willard considered the boys able to care for themselves.
Also, Mary's mother, Hazel, had a sister named Goldie but as far as I can see she was not Goldie Blair.

Where was the property Mary and her husband lived, is it still there? Could he have buried Mary on it? Perhaps investigators need to start there.

BEATTY, Mr. CLAUDE "CLYDE" MUSKEGON Obituary

(Note that Mary Jean was listed as having died.)

Mr. Claude Beatty, age 81, passed away Friday evening, March 20, 2015. Claude was born February 6, 1934, in Battle Creek, Michigan to Willard and Hazel Mae (Reeves) and has spent the last 60 years in this area. ...

... He was also preceded in death by brothers, George and Lyle; sisters, Kathleen and Mary Jean; and his parents. ... INTERMENT will be in Sunrise Memorial Gardens.

LINK to complete obituary:
View CLAUDE BEATTY's Obituary on Mlive.com and share memories

Claude "Clyde" Beatty

BIRTH
6 Feb 1934
Battle Creek, Calhoun County, Michigan, USA
DEATH 20 Mar 2015 (aged 81)
Michigan, USA
BURIAL
Sunrise Memorial Gardens
Muskegon, Muskegon County, Michigan, USA

LINK:
Claude Clyde Beatty (1934-2015) - Find A Grave...

Last edited:
Mary Jane Beaty AKA Mary Jean Blair AKA Mary Jean Mclaughlin.

Answers to questions and corrections

1. Her name: She was born Mary Jane Beaty. Her mother and older sister died on the same day when she was 10. Her father sent her to live with Sam and Goldie Blair at Lake Odessa. We have never found out why Blairs. They took in kids and used them as labor and treated them badly. She didn't like her middle name and so just started calling herself Mary Jean Blair. She was never in the foster care system.

2. WHO IS HAZEL SHAW? No one. She was a person just picked by a unethical investigator. The family hired him and he claimed Mary changed her name to Hazel Shaw and moved to Klatskanie OR. There is a poor woman there by that name but she has nothing to do with Mary. I don't know if the investigator knew Mary's mother was named Hazel or it was coincidence.

Another investogator told the family she was right in town the whole time! Apparently that investigator had never been a town that is 5 blocks long and 5 blocks wide. She couldn't have stayed hiden for a week, let alone decades.

3. Why take the name Blair of all the families she lived with? She only lived with Blairs and Mclaughlins. Blairs all through school, then when Mary got pregnant Goldie Blair threw her out and Mary moved in with the parents of Carlon Mclaughlin. After her family selling her into servitude she probably didn't want to be a Beaty anymore.

4. What about the Beatys helping her out? Mary's birth family weren't exactly a close and loving family. None of the older siblings offered to take her in apparently. No one made much attempt to visit her in Lake Odessa over the years. One sister, Kathleen Linstrom, has told a lot of stories about how she tried to see the kids and was turned away and Mary came and told her she was leaving Carl etc. Kathleen never had children and when Marys girls sought her out I think she didn't want to admit that no one ever looked into what happened to Mary or checked on her over the years. In short I think Kathleen told lies so the Mary's daughters would like her.

5. DNA Her son and daughter have both had DNA taken by the police and put in a data base. There was a body found in Florida not long after she disappeard that they wanted to checkout. They never contacted us with any info.

6. Why didn't her son, Donald, report her for so long? Donald didn't report her missing at all. I did. I wanted to get on a unclaimed body database and it required a missing persons case number. At the time I didn't consider her missing , just staying away. No one knew she was actually missing until the police came to us with questions. Her children were raised by Carlon Mclaughlin who was a vicious, abusive man. All they ever heard was that she was a worthless *advertiser censored* who abandoned them and no one ever questioned it. Mary's youngest child, Suzanne, was given to Carls brother, Nelson. When Suzanne was terminally ill that is when the family hired investigators to try and locate Mary. It was years after that when I reported her missing.

7. Why didn't her siblings change their names? They were adults when Mary was sent away.

8. Age. The April 6, 1940 Census record says she is 2 at that time. Any records she left were destroyed by Carl.
Interesting facts.

I've known Donald since we were kids. I remember strange things his father said.

He once said, “She's never coming back, mother and I made sure of it”. I don't know what he meant but Carl and his brother got into a lot of trouble and their mother always paid to get them out. Their parents were respected business owners in a small town and no one questioned their story of where Mary went.

Carl claimed she was American Indian, she wasn't.

Carl told many conflicting stories about where she went.

When the police went to Mississippi and knocked on Carls door he said “ are you here to arrest me?”.

Donald still lives in Michigan. His 2 sisters and brother live in Mississippi where Carl moved in the 70's. Everyone was estranged from Carl by the time he died.
Nancy Mclaughlin (Wife of Donald)
I will answer questions if I can.
Nancy,
I’ve been trying to think of questions to ask that would assist us in finding answers in Mary’s disappearance. I’m at a bit of a loss, as I have so many. I took your comment and elaborated on that. If you don’t feel comfortable answering any of them, please don’t. I can’t thank you enough for being here and doing what you’re doing for Mary!

Her name: She was born Mary Jane Beaty. Her mother and older sister died on the same day when she was 10. Her father sent her to live with Sam and Goldie Blair at Lake Odessa. We have never found out why Blairs. They took in kids and used them as labor and treated them badly. She didn't like her middle name and so just started calling herself Mary Jean Blair. She was never in the foster care system. Thank you for clearing up her birth name. Do you think her father intentionally sent her there, knowing the conditions Mary would be living in or was he just overwhelmed when his wife died and unaware of what may have been going on?

WHO IS HAZEL SHAW? No one. She was a person just picked by a unethical investigator. The family hired him and he claimed Mary changed her name to Hazel Shaw and moved to Klatskanie OR. There is a poor woman there by that name but she has nothing to do with Mary. I don't know if the investigator knew Mary's mother was named Hazel or it was coincidence. Another investogator told the family she was right in town the whole time! Apparently that investigator had never been a town that is 5 blocks long and 5 blocks wide. She couldn't have stayed hiden for a week, let alone decades. Do you feel there’s any truth to either of the investigators claims? Any reason the one would have chosen someone living in that particular area. Or suffice it to say the whole story was just that; a made up story? Who hired the investigators and around when? If most of what they “turned up” during their investigations (especially the one saying she was living in Oregon) was inaccurate, do you think it was done maliciously to throw people off or just bad detective work?

Why take the name Blair of all the families she lived with? She only lived with Blairs and Mclaughlins. Blairs all through school, then when Mary got pregnant Goldie Blair threw her out and Mary moved in with the parents of Carlon Mclaughlin. After her family selling her into servitude she probably didn't want to be a Beaty anymore. I’ve done some Ancestry research on Mary, for the sake of learning about her and where she could have gone to so I think I know, but for clarification; about how old was she when she went to live with the McLaughlins? This explains her choice to take on that name in particular and I think answers my previous question of whether or not her father knew about what she may have endured while living with this other family? Do you know when and where she and Carlon met? You said she moved in with his family after getting pregnant, had they known each other from school and started seeing one another and ultimately started a family? I’m trying to get an idea of how her relationship with him started.

What about the Beatys helping her out? Mary's birth family weren't exactly a close and loving family. None of the older siblings offered to take her in apparently. No one made much attempt to visit her in Lake Odessa over the years. One sister, Kathleen Linstrom, has told a lot of stories about how she tried to see the kids and was turned away and Mary came and told her she was leaving Carl etc. Kathleen never had children and when Marys girls sought her out I think she didn't want to admit that no one ever looked into what happened to Mary or checked on her over the years. In short I think Kathleen told lies so the Mary's daughters would like her. Thank you for sharing you thoughts on this.

DNA Her son and daughter have both had DNA taken by the police and put in a data base. There was a body found in Florida not long after she disappeard that they wanted to checkout. They never contacted us with any info. I’m very glad to hear that her children’s DNA has been taken and that data is available. Was Mary being compared to this body found in Florida recently? Depending on a couple of things, they may not have the results of that comparison yet. It usually takes a little bit of time. It wouldn’t hurt to contact the investigator and simply inquire about where they are as far progress with that goes. I know waiting can be very difficult!

Why didn't her son, Donald, report her for so long? Donald didn't report her missing at all. I did. I wanted to get on a unclaimed body database and it required a missing persons case number. At the time I didn't consider her missing , just staying away. No one knew she was actually missing until the police came to us with questions. Her children were raised by Carlon Mclaughlin who was a vicious, abusive man. All they ever heard was that she was a worthless *advertiser censored* who abandoned them and no one ever questioned it. Mary's youngest child, Suzanne, was given to Carls brother, Nelson. When Suzanne was terminally ill that is when the family hired investigators to try and locate Mary. It was years after that when I reported her missing. I’m incredibly sorry for all the suffering that occurred within this family. It doesn’t sound to me like life was easy for any of Mary’s siblings or children. You did the right thing by reporting her missing, in my opinion. It mustn’t have been an easy decision, considering what you’ve told us. Thank you for that!

Why didn't her siblings change their names? They were adults when Mary was sent away. Thank you, that makes complete sense.

Age. The April 6, 1940 Census record says she is 2 at that time. Any records she left were destroyed by Carl. Again, thank you. This information helps.

Interesting facts.

I've known Donald since we were kids. I remember strange things his father said.

He once said, “She's never coming back, mother and I made sure of it”. I don't know what he meant but Carl and his brother got into a lot of trouble and their mother always paid to get them out. Their parents were respected business owners in a small town and no one questioned their story of where Mary went. Interesting indeed. I take it to mean he’s referring to his [Carl’s] mother?

Carl claimed she was American Indian, she wasn't. Sounds like he was trying to throw people off maybe. Just my opinion.

Carl told many conflicting stories about where she went. Do you or the family have one story you believe more than the others, or do you have other theories about what happened to Mary and where she may be? That you’d be willing to share.

When the police went to Mississippi and knocked on Carls door he said “ are you here to arrest me?”. Hmmm. Very interesting.

Donald still lives in Michigan. His 2 sisters and brother live in Mississippi where Carl moved in the 70's. Everyone was estranged from Carl by the time he died.
Nancy Mclaughlin (Wife of Donald)
I will answer questions if I can.

Mary Jean's sister:

Kathleen Beatty Linstrom
BIRTH 20 Jan 1924
Battle Creek, Calhoun County, Michigan, USA
DEATH 26 Mar 2005 (aged 81)
BURIAL
Restlawn Cemetery
PLOT 4-143-18
-----------------------------------------
From Michigan, Marriage Records, 1867-1952:
Name: Kathleen Beaty
Race: White
Birth Year: abt 1924
Birth Place: Michigan
License County: Muskegon
Marriage Date: 10 Nov 1942
Marriage Place: Muskegon, Muskegon, Michigan, USA
Residence Place: Muskegon, Michigan
Father: Willard Beaty (1892–1970)
Mother: Hazel May Reeves (1902–1947)
Spouse: Paul Torrey
County File Number: 29403
State File Number: 61 11915

LINK:
Kathleen Beatty Linstrom (1924-2005) - Find A...

Missing for 55 years...

MJMcLaughlin.jpg
MJMcLaughlin1.jpg

Mary Jean McLaughlin
Missing since 1965 from Lake Odessa, Ionia County, Michigan
Classification: Endangered Missing

LINK:

The Doe Network: Case File 1641DFMI

DNA Her son and daughter have both had DNA taken by the police and put in a data base. There was a body found in Florida not long after she disapperd that they wanted to checkout. They never contacted us with any info. I’m very glad to hear that her children’s DNA has been taken and that data is available. Was Mary being compared to this body found in Florida recently? Depending on a couple of things, they may not have the results of that comparison yet. It usually takes a little bit of time. It wouldn’t hurt to contact the investigator and simply inquire about where they are as far progress with that goes. I know waiting can be very difficult!
It's been quite a few years, I assume it was not a match since the case is still open.

He once said, “She's never coming back, mother and I made sure of it”. I don't know what he meant but Carl and his brother got into a lot of trouble and their mother always paid to get them out. Their parents were respected business owners in a small town and no one questioned their story of where Mary went. Interesting indeed. I take it to mean he’s referring to his [Carl’s] mother? Yes, Thelma Mclaughlin

Carl claimed she was American Indian, she wasn't. Sounds like he was trying to throw people off maybe. Just my opinion. Carlon lied about everything constantly. Its possible she thought she was Indian but she wasn't according to my husbands DNA.

Carl told many conflicting stories about where she went. Do you or the family have one story you believe more than the others, or do you have other theories about what happened to Mary and where she may be? That you’d be willing to share. We believe she is most likely buried somewhere under the Mclaughlin Subdivision in Lake Odessa. It was under construction and lots of convienient holes and equipment to bury her deep at the time she dissappeared.

Her name: She was born Mary Jane Beaty. Her mother and older sister died on the same day when she was 10. Her father sent her to live with Sam and Goldie Blair at Lake Odessa. We have never found out why Blairs. They took in kids and used them as labor and treated them badly. She didn't like her middle name and so just started calling herself Mary Jean Blair. She was never in the foster care system. Thank you for clearing up her birth name. Do you think her father intentionally sent her there, knowing the conditions Mary would be living in or was he just overwhelmed when his wife died and unaware of what may have been going on?
He was an hour away. I don't think he cared much. As far as I can tell he rarely saw her growing up if at all.

WHO IS HAZEL SHAW? No one. She was a person just picked by a unethical investigator. The family hired him and he claimed Mary changed her name to Hazel Shaw and moved to Klatskanie OR. There is a poor woman there by that name but she has nothing to do with Mary. I don't know if the investigator knew Mary's mother was named Hazel or it was coincidence. Another investogator told the family she was right in town the whole time! Apparently that investigator had never been a town that is 5 blocks long and 5 blocks wide. She couldn't have stayed hiden for a week, let alone decades. Do you feel there’s any truth to either of the investigators claims? Any reason the one would have chosen someone living in that particular area. Or suffice it to say the whole story was just that; a made up story? Who hired the investigators and around when? If most of what they “turned up” during their investigations (especially the one saying she was living in Oregon) was inaccurate, do you think it was done maliciously to throw people off or just bad detective work?
I do not think there is any truth at all. I think he chose somewhere as far from Michigan as possible. Mary's niece hired the investigator when Mary's daughter, Suzanne, was dying, around 1996. I think it was plain laziness.

Why take the name Blair of all the families she lived with? She only lived with Blairs and Mclaughlins. Blairs all through school, then when Mary got pregnant Goldie Blair threw her out and Mary moved in with the parents of Carlon Mclaughlin. After her family selling her into servitude she probably didn't want to be a Beaty anymore. I’ve done some Ancestry research on Mary, for the sake of learning about her and where she could have gone to so I think I know, but for clarification; about how old was she when she went to live with the McLaughlins? This explains her choice to take on that name in particular and I think answers my previous question of whether or not her father knew about what she may have endured while living with this other family? Do you know when and where she and Carlon met? You said she moved in with his family after getting pregnant, had they known each other from school and started seeing one another and ultimately started a family? I’m trying to get an idea of how her relationship with him started. Mary was pregnant when she went to live with the Mclaughlins so it was 1957. Mary went all the way through school with Carlon. Mary had apparently slept with two guys and when she found herself pregnant she Married the one who offered. Carlon was considered a catch back then, His family had standing in the community and money. His mom kept his real behavior covered up with money. Mary was really trapped with a no win.

They have been missing in Michigan the longest: 12 people last seen before 1970

1652975858704.png
Mary Jean Mclaughlin was last seen on Jan. 1, 1965, in Lake Odessa.

She was last seen by her 8-year-old son and 6-year-old daughter when she visited them in school.

She told her son she was going away for a while, but would be back. She then traveled to her sister, Kathleen Lindstrom, who lived in Muskegon. She left a photograph and went missing.

She wasn’t reported missing until Aug. 2002. Investigators said there is no record of Mary since the mid-1960s and there has been no activity on her social security number.

Mary Jean MclaughlinDetails
Missing Age26
Current Age83
Weight140-150 lbs
Height5′5′' - 5′7′'
HairBrown
EyesBlue
Anyone with information should contact Michigan State Police at 989-352-8444.

They have been missing in Michigan the longest: 12 people last seen before 1970

View attachment 344947
Mary Jean Mclaughlin was last seen on Jan. 1, 1965, in Lake Odessa.

She was last seen by her 8-year-old son and 6-year-old daughter when she visited them in school.

She told her son she was going away for a while, but would be back. She then traveled to her sister, Kathleen Lindstrom, who lived in Muskegon. She left a photograph and went missing.

She wasn’t reported missing until Aug. 2002. Investigators said there is no record of Mary since the mid-1960s and there has been no activity on her social security number.

Mary Jean MclaughlinDetails
Missing Age26
Current Age83
Weight140-150 lbs
Height5′5′' - 5′7′'
HairBrown
EyesBlue
Anyone with information should contact Michigan State Police at 989-352-8444.
I'm rather partial to this case as our first and middle names are the same.

@Caring1 Hey could you post the current list of NamUs exclusions for Mary Jean McLaughlin? I would greatly appreciate it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back