CO CO - Jaryd Atadero, 3, Comanche Peak, 2 Oct 1999

The sheriff made it very clear. He literally vocalized his refusal. He told Allyn he believed Jaryd drowned, but told the media it was a mountain lion, and when confronted on camera about the Mesa Verde sightingsighting he ended his rant saying "Are you as tired of this story as we are?"

He dropped the case after the remains were found. The FBI was never alerted, which is protocol in an abduction scenario due to abduction being a federal felony. Anytime abduction was brought up he would deny it.
Wow. That’s absolutely unprofessional and out of line for this sheriff. But sure seems to me when you tell a parent you’ll keep an eye on their child, that should be followed through. Was Janet involuntarily negligent?

The sheriff made it very clear. He literally vocalized his refusal. He told Allyn he believed Jaryd drowned, but told the media it was a mountain lion, and when confronted on camera about the Mesa Verde sightingsighting he ended his rant saying "Are you as tired of this story as we are?"

He dropped the case after the remains were found. The FBI was never alerted, which is protocol in an abduction scenario due to abduction being a federal felony. Anytime abduction was brought up he would deny it.
Wow. That’s absolutely unprofessional and out of line for this sheriff. When I obligate myself to keep an eye on a child, I don’t obligate myself to that ever but if I did, I’d keep both my eyes on them. Was Janet involuntarily negligent?

Wow. That’s absolutely unprofessional and out of line for this sheriff. When I obligate myself to keep an eye on a child, I don’t obligate myself to that ever but if I did, I’d keep both my eyes on them. Was Janet involuntarily negligent?

It's still a mystery as to why everyone was so lax with Jaryd that day, but a statement from the Sheriff's report says that no one was really introduced to each other despite this being a group meant to introduce you to new people. Allyn knew most of them, and had told them if they helped him winterize the resort that weekend they could stay for free. This did not happen, and a hike was organized first thing in the morning. I am not sure what involuntary negligence is, but I know she had watched the kids before when Allyn would have a job interview, so Janet was a trusted individual in their lives, kind of like an aunt. Allyn's daughter attempted to speak with her years later, to which she initially agreed, but for whatever reason she never followed through. Pain like that doesn't just fade away I suppose, and she lost her nerve.

As for the sheriff, there are so many parallels between his behavior and another incident (a police chief in another state) that turned out to be an abduction, where search dogs and volunteers were turned away in droves, and conclusions drawn before any investigation really began. I don't want to bring that other case into this conversation any more than that right now, but the behavior of some of the authorities in this case has happened before. There was plenty of reason to examine an abduction.

Hi all - I have been following this case for a few years and was reminded of it a couple weeks ago. It brought back some questions I had that I never saw answered.

1. In all cases I have ever looked into every suspect, person of interest, or person involved has been named. I have been shocked that none of the Christian Singles group have ever been named (except the first name of the woman charged with watching the children). I find that VERY bizarre. Do you know why that is? Were their identities protected by the Sheriff’s department?

I’m not asking for names; I just find it very odd.

2. Have you been able to re-interview those from the Christian Singles group? Have they been cooperative? Has their stories changed at all?

3. I have heard over and over that the family and search and rescue teams were denied access to the trail to search for Jaryd. Can you confirm this as true?

If so, how long after Jaryd went missing did they close off the area? The day after he went missing or further down the timeline? How long was it before the trail was open back up to the public? Are there any regions of the park that people have never been allowed to visit?

Do you have any insight into why they did this? What is your personal opinion on why this was done?

4. The woman who was supposed to be watching Jaryd on the trail fell asleep. Did she have narcolepsy? Was she directly asked why this happened? Have you been able to ask her about this?

I know that’s a lot to ask but I think it would help clarify some aspects for me. Thank you!
Yes. I am also very Interested in the names of the individuals in the Christian Singles group. It reminds me of the JonBenet Ramsey case, where the attendees’ names from the Christmas party were never revealed; though, there was a suspicious 911 call, from that particular residence, that was immediately dismissed as an accidental call.

Last edited:
A lot of activity here over the past few days. Thank you everyone for powering this up. I'll start by addressing everyone's concerns about Shelley Lynn Goff:

Goff was a charlatan looking for attention. Allyn initially trusted her because she did two key things for him: One was joining the fake "bird watching group" searchers formed to fool the sheriff so they could gain some access to the area. The second was after Allyn found out that the Sheriff had never followed up on the Mesa Verde sighting, claiming they couldn't find the park ranger who reported it. Goff actually called the park, got his contact info, and gave it to Allyn (turned out that the ranger called the sheriff's office and directly reported the sighting). She was seemingly sincere in her desire to help. But then a switch flipped and she became a different person. Her story about finding information on Jaryd's whereabouts changed three times: 1. Said he was sold into a Mexican labor camp and was attempting to get pictures from an informant. 2. She then claimed later that two women were holding him for ransom. 3. The family friend was then accused of taking him.

Allyn caught on pretty quickly to what was happening, and reported her to the sheriff. Though he didn't trust Alderden and his inner circle, he did trust the then undersheriff Ern Hudson as well as several deputies. Because of Alderden's willingness to get the case sewn up as quickly as possible, she was stung after her second story was a blatant contradiction but was suspected much earlier. It was an odd phenomenon. How did she go from honesty to a con? Allyn basically puts it as she simply was after attention. Seemed to be a lot of those folk out there were.

Regarding the hikers who found the clothing, it is indeed a conundrum as to how they made a bullseye right to the site of the clothing, which of course just happened to be where Seaux had pinpointed. At the time, only Allyn, Seaux, and Alderden knew that location was a potential hit. That leaves only the perpetrator(s) as a fourth option. The hikers' stories in their written statements are full of holes, not to mention their 24 hour wait before they reported it. This does not mean they are guilty of taking Jaryd, but I suspect them of knowing more than what they let on. If you watch their interviews in the Missing 411 movie, their story changes again from what's written in the sheriff's report. Were they just scared they'd become suspects?

We have our suspicions on who's the culprit, but because of potential litigation issues, we can't reveal that here. Rest assured we have some direction and a little more traction going forward.

I do want to refresh the group on how Jaryd got onto the trail in the first place:

1. Josallyn asked if she could go with the lady in question to see the fish at the hatchery. Allyn made sure that this was ok with the family friend, and he knew the hatchery was a good place for kids. I've been there and can definitely say I'd bring my own kids there if I had any.

2. Ten minutes later Jaryd caught wind of her going and wanted to come as well. Allyn refused outrightly, but was talked into it by a couple group members he knew. At this point, there were no plans to go anywhere else but the hatchery.

3. After they arrived at the hatchery, they decided it wasn't very interesting and went further down the road.

At no point was Allyn ignorant of their plans, as they never told him. They were supposed to be helping him ready the resort for winter anyway in exchange for a free weekend.
I think it was a “fishing expedition.” Janice is asked to lure the boy out, and she calls her associate who picks the boy off the trail, while Janice mystically falls asleep on a rock with the sister. It could be there was a little “flirty fishing” going on in the “Christian Singles”group as well. Colorado is a hotbed of child trafficking.

Yes. I am also very Interested in the names of the individuals in the Christian Singles group. It reminds me of the JonBenet Ramsey case, where the attendees’ names from the Christmas party were never revealed; though, there was a suspicious 911 call, from that particular residence, that was immediately dismissed as an accidental call.

I think it was a “fishing expedition.” Janice is asked to lure the boy out, and she calls her associate who picks the boy off the trail, while Janice mystically falls asleep on a rock with the sister. It could be there was a little “flirty fishing” going on in the “Christian Singles”group as well. Colorado is a hotbed of child trafficking.

A planned abduction is a likely scenario. There are a number of inconsistencies in the narrative that shed light on way too many sides of the story. The sheriff, several of the hikers, the fishermen, and especially the hikers that "found" the clothing. It's hard to imagine so many haphazard factors just randomly aligning. I don't personally believe members of the singles group were responsible, but it's not out of the question.

Interesting theory, and would explain how every single thing that happened that day worked together for Jaryd to disappear. Like it was planned.
It’s always bothered me that Janice went on from the hatchery to the hiking trail with Jaryd, when she hadn’t been given permission to do so. Then she mysteriously falls asleep and leaves Jaryd unsupervised. Unbelievable... either very irresponsible or worse. IMO.

Sex trafficking of Children in Colorado Reaches Every Corner of the State | Rocky Mountain PBS

A planned abduction is a likely scenario. There are a number of inconsistencies in the narrative that shed light on way too many sides of the story. The sheriff, several of the hikers, the fishermen, and especially the hikers that "found" the clothing. It's hard to imagine so many haphazard factors just randomly aligning. I don't personally believe members of the singles group were responsible, but it's not out of the question.

Yes, very hard to imagine. I have to admit I’m more suspicious of that singles group than ever. Something just so off about that day and the decisions that were made. JMO

Yes, very hard to imagine. I have to admit I’m more suspicious of that singles group than ever. Something just so off about that day and the decisions that were made. As though it were all orchestrated. Do you know if the members of that group have been questioned again? JMO

Yes, very hard to imagine. I have to admit I’m more suspicious of that singles group than ever. Something just so off about that day and the decisions that were made. As though it were all orchestrated. Do you know if the members of that group have been questioned again? JMO

They were questioned separately and then together. Their stories lined up and were cleared. There is one group member that keeps creeping back. When you run a resort, you get all types coming in and out, and they all see the two kids running around. Allyn had hosted members of that group before and had interacted with them in other functions related to the Christian Singles Association.*

Then there is the anomaly of the man who went by the name LP. He showed up in the canyon basically freeloading from the resorts with a sob story about desperately needing work. Allyn always made it a point to help travelers in need, so he put him up for a time but eventually came into conflict with him. After the search had completed, someone identifying themselves as LP's daughter called the Larimer County Sheriff and said that her dad was talking incessantly about Jaryd just prior to disappearing. He also refused to let anyone take pictures while he was around. I do not have any further information about him (nor his real name) as the sheriff's report completely omits this lead despite it having been featured on Colorado news stations.

*To clarify: The intent of the Christian Singles Association is to facilitate ways for Christian singles to commiserate in a non-romantic atmosphere, and screens members prior to joining. The overall intent was not to go to the canyon looking for a rendezvous, especially given the age ranges within the group.

They were questioned separately and then together. Their stories lined up and were cleared. There is one group member that keeps creeping back. When you run a resort, you get all types coming in and out, and they all see the two kids running around. Allyn had hosted members of that group before and had interacted with them in other functions related to the Christian Singles Association.*

Then there is the anomaly of the man who went by the name LP. He showed up in the canyon basically freeloading from the resorts with a sob story about desperately needing work. Allyn always made it a point to help travelers in need, so he put him up for a time but eventually came into conflict with him. After the search had completed, someone identifying themselves as LP's daughter called the Larimer County Sheriff and said that her dad was talking incessantly about Jaryd just prior to disappearing. He also refused to let anyone take pictures while he was around. I do not have any further information about him (nor his real name) as the sheriff's report completely omits this lead despite it having been featured on Colorado news stations.

*To clarify: The intent of the Christian Singles Association is to facilitate ways for Christian singles to commiserate in a non-romantic atmosphere, and screens members prior to joining. The overall intent was not to go to the canyon looking for a rendezvous, especially given the age ranges within the group.

Thank you . So regarding the bolded here, what does that mean?
There is one group member that keeps creeping back.
And thank you for all your doing on Jaryd’s case.

Thank you . So regarding the bolded here, what does that mean?
There is one group member that keeps creeping back.
And thank you for all your doing on Jaryd’s case.

And thank you for helping the discussion continue. To rephrase, there is one member of the hiking group that keeps landing back on our radar, and this person had some puzzling behavior on the trail if not simply ignorant. He was the one who stopped everyone to pray first before seeing to Jaryd's safety. This could simply be nothing, but my team and I are all praying individuals and I'd like to think we all would have shown more urgency finding Jaryd. Especially with as difficult and dangerous as that trail can be.

And thank you for helping the discussion continue. To rephrase, there is one member of the hiking group that keeps landing back on our radar, and this person had some puzzling behavior on the trail if not simply ignorant. He was the one who stopped everyone to pray first before seeing to Jaryd's safety. This could simply be nothing, but my team and I are all praying individuals and I'd like to think we all would have shown more urgency finding Jaryd. Especially with as difficult and dangerous as that trail can be.
Interesting, buying time?
I just had a thought, would it have been possible for any one person in the group to leave the group for a period of time without being noticed?

[Snipped for focus. ]
Then there is the anomaly of the man who went by the name LP. He showed up in the canyon basically freeloading from the resorts with a sob story about desperately needing work. Allyn always made it a point to help travelers in need, so he put him up for a time but eventually came into conflict with him. After the search had completed, someone identifying themselves as LP's daughter called the Larimer County Sheriff and said that her dad was talking incessantly about Jaryd just prior to disappearing. He also refused to let anyone take pictures while he was around. I do not have any further information about him (nor his real name) as the sheriff's report completely omits this lead despite it having been featured on Colorado news station.
I’m not as concerned about “someone creeping back.” That would be just like me, not able to sleep at night worrying that I might somehow have been responsible, even if I wasn’t directly responsible. But to have someone’s *daughter* call in a tip?! I would think the daughter would have to have some real suspicion to call that in. Can you track down the newspaper article with the writer’s name?

I’m a bit fuzzy on details, but how would the physical descriptions of LP and the man seen with the boy in the park by the ranger sometime after he went missing compare?

Interesting, buying time?
I just had a thought, would it have been possible for any one person in the group to leave the group for a period of time without being noticed?

Yes. They started out as three smaller groups, but this changed as people stopped to look at the scenery along the trail. This hiker was also the last off the trail when the deputy arrived and ushered people back to the trailhead.

I’m not as concerned about “someone creeping back.” That would be just like me, not able to sleep at night worrying that I might somehow have been responsible, even if I wasn’t directly responsible. But to have someone’s *daughter* call in a tip?! I would think the daughter would have to have some real suspicion to call that in. Can you track down the newspaper article with the writer’s name?

It wasn't a news article, but an older news clip that Allyn had on his Facebook page, which has since been removed. But they had very little to go on.

I’m a bit fuzzy on details, but how would the physical descriptions of LP and the man seen with the boy in the park by the ranger sometime after he went missing compare?

No comparison. Allyn gave me a general description of LP, and they couldn't be more different. LP was about 5'11" and 200lbs, with head shaved on the sides and long on the top pulled back into a pony tail. Looked like a sleazy stoner. The Mesa Verde adult male was approximately 5'6" and 160lbs, with short black hair and glasses.

@Thunder Street were charges ever considered for the person who took the kids on the hike that day? After watching the missing 411 episode about Jaryd I just can't comprehend how the group/ individual that asked to take the kids to the fish hatchery with Allyn's permission, instead took them much further away on a rather difficult hike instead of to the fish hatchery and then lost Jaryd and didn't notice he was gone for atleast 20 minutes. I can't imagine taking someone else's child somewhere I didn't have permission to take them and then not watching them closely. Seems like negligence if not worse.

After watching the episode I actually finally am convinced it wasn't a mountain lion that killed Jaryd. Seeing the shoes and jacket and location where he was found on video definitely changed my opinion.

@Thunder Street were charges ever considered for the person who took the kids on the hike that day? After watching the missing 411 episode about Jaryd I just can't comprehend how the group/ individual that asked to take the kids to the fish hatchery with Allyn's permission, instead took them much further away on a rather difficult hike instead of to the fish hatchery and then lost Jaryd and didn't notice he was gone for atleast 20 minutes. I can't imagine taking someone else's child somewhere I didn't have permission to take them and then not watching them closely. Seems like negligence if not worse.

After watching the episode I actually finally am convinced it wasn't a mountain lion that killed Jaryd. Seeing the shoes and jacket and location where he was found on video definitely changed my opinion.
Excellent points, totally agree. Why did they take Jaryd without permission? And then she mysteriously went to keep and let him disappear?!! Give me a break.
Too many very questionable issues. Poor Jaryd, he was just used and thrown away like trash. Reminds me of the Cayley Anthony case. Omg, what is wrong with people?!

There were negligence charges considered in court but they were dismissed.

Janet wasn't driving her own car, but rode in an SUV belonging to one of the other group members. She was at the mercy of whoever was leading them to the trail so to speak, though they were aware there were kids along. When Janet was unable to keep Jaryd from running ahead, she assumed that one of the other members would hold onto him until she caught up. But the rest of the story is extremely inconsistent, as noted by one of the group members during interrogation. Way too many other bad coincidences on this case. The group's negligence, the fishermen's negligence, the behavior of the sheriff and certain deputies, no FBI presence, a helicopter crash...not saying it's all unified, but it's hard to believe that Jaryd's disappearance was merely negligence.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back