IN - Grandfather charged in cruise ship death of toddler Chloe Wiegand #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I meant it more as a counter to the "SA was only charged to protect the cruise line" arguments that keep coming up as if RCCL somehow has control over the criminal justice system and gets to make decisions about charges.

Kindred, I agree. Puerto Rico is part of the US. Reading some quotes in PR newspapers -people were insulted that some mainland folks assumed them to be corrupt. From what I can tell, their culture is family-centric and protective of children. Chloe may well get more consideration in a court in PR, than on the mainland. I'm praying for clarity of thought and goodness of heart for everyone involved in all stages of this heartbreaking case. We all want justice for Chloe. What justice looks like may be different right now for some of us, but I have faith that all will become clear. In this highly emotional situation, we all feel sensitive over the death of an innocent baby-if I have said anything in any of my posts that felt harsh, that was not my intent. This is a great community of caring people and I appreciate everyone here.

What, exactly, does “no admission to the facts” mean?

I admit I’m very surprised a plea deal was offered at this juncture, given all the misdirections by SA and Wiegands.

Is it likely that the federal judge in Miami will dismiss the lawsuit? Because, based on the statement made by MW on behalf of the family, I get the sense the Wiegands are NOT dropping the lawsuit.

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico -- An Indiana man accused of dropping his granddaughter from an 11th floor window of a cruise ship docked in Puerto Rico last year has changed his plea to guilty the day after he declined his right to a jury trial.

Salvatore Anello, who is charged with negligent homicide in the death of 18-month-old Chloe Wiegand.

His attorney filed the change of plea Tuesday, ABC News reports. A hearing date has not yet been set.

Anello's attorney released a statement, saying, "This decision was an incredibly difficult one for Sam and the family, but because the plea agreement includes no jail time and no admission of facts, it was decided the plea deal is in the best interests of the family so that they can close this horrible chapter and turn their focus to mourning Chloe and fighting for cruise passenger safety by raising awareness about the need for all common carriers to adhere to window fall prevention laws designed to protect children from falling from windows."

Indiana grandfather accused in cruise ship death of toddler in Puerto Rico changes plea to guilty

I don't know if PR has accepted this change or not. I don't know how he can plead guilty and still not admit to the facts. That is not admission of guilty.

jmo moo

David Begnaud on Twitter ~ 4:30 Feb25
From tweet: "Deal: no jail time No admission to the facts Probation served in Indiana"
DB said "pleading guilty" to NegHom, not to a lesser charge.
Is ^ wording correct: "no admission to the facts" Seems sh/be than no admission to :alleged facts."
More from DB's Twitter:
Statement from Puerto Rico's Attorney General Dennise N. Longo Quiñones: “The Puerto Rico Department of Justice has diligently prosecuted the charges against Salvatore Anello in order to bring justice to Chloe’s unfortunate death..."
"... The defendant filed a motion yesterday afternoon expressing his intent to plead guilty and asking for a hearing date where the Court may accept his change of plea. Anello’s decision to so proceed is wholly within his discretion..."

"...and will become binding only upon his appearing before the Court to voluntarily plead guilty.” bbm
Not clear to me what content, if any, from PR AG's ^ stmt DB may have omitted.

Also the doc-image @Laria Rivera posted shows dates of Mar 18-19-20.
Is that for his next appearance, when judge could accept or reject his plea?
Any Spanish speakers/translators in the house/thread at the moment? Thx in adv.

Last edited:
This is the easy way out all around. I didn't know you could plead guilty and still not have to admit what happened. That doesn't sound like guilty; it sounds like no contest. (I'm obviously not a lawyer.) Now of course the family can proceed with their lawsuit and paint this as SA doing what he had to do to put this behind him.

I am glad however that this part of the matter is at least finally OVER. But I guess we won't stop hearing about this in the news for a long, long time. And I would like to no longer hear about this.

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico -- An Indiana man accused of dropping his granddaughter from an 11th floor window of a cruise ship docked in Puerto Rico last year has changed his plea to guilty the day after he declined his right to a jury trial.

Salvatore Anello, who is charged with negligent homicide in the death of 18-month-old Chloe Wiegand.

His attorney filed the change of plea Tuesday, ABC News reports. A hearing date has not yet been set.

Anello's attorney released a statement, saying, "This decision was an incredibly difficult one for Sam and the family, but because the plea agreement includes no jail time and no admission of facts, it was decided the plea deal is in the best interests of the family so that they can close this horrible chapter and turn their focus to mourning Chloe and fighting for cruise passenger safety by raising awareness about the need for all common carriers to adhere to window fall prevention laws designed to protect children from falling from windows."

Indiana grandfather accused in cruise ship death of toddler in Puerto Rico changes plea to guilty

I don't know if PR has accepted this change or not. I don't know how he can plead guilty and still not admit to the facts. That is not admission of guilty.

jmo moo

He's getting off way too easy given all his lying. Maybe the prosecutors feel it's a waste of time, and really the video speaks for itself - they don't need an admission of the facts from his truth-twisting mouth.

And now, the family is turning their focus to mourn Chloe and on getting a big payout..err I mean, fighting against stupidity on cruise ships...no wait, I mean, safety on cruise ships by abolishing all windows! Submarines it is!

I have to add that if this family and S.A. in particular had stepped up to the plate and taken responsibility for what I still believe was a tragic accident, even if it was caused by unbelievable recklessness, my every sympathy and all my grief would be with them for the loss of Chloe. unfortunately their own actions have put them in a position where now many are questioning whether this was intentional. And while I cannot cross that line myself, I can certainly understand why others have. The sheer magnitude of incomprehensibility surrounding S.A.'s actions that day defy all logic.

And I wish this was the end of the story, but we know it isn't.

Last edited:
Wait, so this is a motion, this plea has not been accepted? Legal eagles, please help. If the prosecutor is on board as it sounds like, then it's basically the end of it (as far as the judge signing off on this)?

@Laria Rivera. Thx for the doc & link.:)
Seems it was signed yesterday/Mon Feb 24 by his atty.
More from DB's Twitter:
Statement from Puerto Rico's Attorney General Dennise N. Longo Quiñones: “The Puerto Rico Department of Justice has diligently prosecuted the charges against Salvatore Anello in order to bring justice to Chloe’s unfortunate death..."
"... The defendant filed a motion yesterday afternoon expressing his intent to plead guilty and asking for a hearing date where the Court may accept his change of plea. Anello’s decision to so proceed is wholly within his discretion..."
"...and will become binding only upon his appearing before the Court to voluntarily plead guilty.”

Not clear to me what content, if any, from PR AG's ^ stmt DB may have omitted.

Also the doc-image @Laria Rivera posted shows dates of Mar 18-19-20.
Is that for his next appearance, when judge could accept or reject his plea?
Any Spanish speakers/translators in the house/thread at the moment? Thx in adv.
The dates are possible dates for SA to change his plea. The attorney for SA and the DA gave those dates to the court of availability. The court will decide the final date.

David Begnaud's report says SA will issue a statement tomorrow. That really is annoying at the least. When will people just realize they need to shut the hell up. They open their mouth; they lose more respect. Especially in this case.

Wait, so this is a motion, this plea has not been accepted? Legal eagles, please help. If the prosecutor is on board as it sounds like, then it's basically the end of it (as far as the judge signing off on this)?
That is what I am wondering. As it says "His attorney filed the change of plea Tuesday, ABC News reports. A hearing date has not yet been set." So it sounds like to me he changed his plea and is waiting for a hearing date to officially announce this change. My question is did the Prosecution offer this?

Thank you, Laria Rivera for telling us about Begnaud's Twitter. In watching and listening to the video of Begnaud, did anyone else feel that he looked disgusted by this outcome? Like many of us, I don't think that he finds it fair.
You’re welcome. I think Begnaud is human and even though he is a reporter he has to feel for Chloe. He interviewed SA when this first happened and was shown a doctored video by his lawyers.
I think the trial would probably have the same outcome as a plea. Guilty and probation. The sentencing guidelines in PR are pretty strict. His trial might have been streamed live, so SA is probably avoiding more publicity.

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico -- ... has changed his plea to guilty the day after he declined his right to a jury trial.

Indiana grandfather accused in cruise ship death of toddler in Puerto Rico changes plea to guilty ...
@Jewels53 bbm sbm Re bolded: per David Begnaud's Tweet w vid a few posts up,that ^ stmt was released by Winkleman, atty for parent's civil suit against RCL, not SA's crim atty.
And the ^ stmt phrasing & tone sound like the noise Winkleman has been making.
Confusion by reporter, or by D Begnaud, or IDK?
ETA: FWIW
, Grandfather of toddler who died falling from cruise ship to plead guilty to her death filed by nbcnews.com at 6:59pm Mt. Time, also attributes similar stmt to Winkleman, not SA's crim atty.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member