CA CA - Julie Elizabeth Soracco, 15, Placerville, 1 Aug 1977

Hello,
I am Kelly, Julie Soracco’s younger sister. I now live in Florida but I’m from Sacramento, CA, where my sisters and I lived with our mom.

She went missing when I was about 7 or 8.
My mom was a single mom raising me (the youngest), Maria (the middle sister who passed away in 2011), and Julie (the oldest). My mom, who passed away in 2002, didn’t have the money to hire a detective. I don’t even know if there was a police report for Julie. Julie was a troubled teen, a hitchhiker, and in and out of Juvenile Hall. It sounds like she lived off and on with her grandparents, and a foster family who lived in Placerville.

When the Golden State Killer was arrested in 2018, that is when I began my search for Julie again. I posted a message on a Facebook group that helps with missing person cases and a private investigator found me. We’ve been working together for over a year, and I only recently found out about Dr. Soracco and his son, which is Julie’s dad. I recently got to meet Julie’s father over the summer.

From what I've been told, Julie was last seen
In the late 70’s leaving her foster parents house, and heading towards a friend’s house. She was offered a ride there but wanted to walk.

I uploaded a photo of Julie and I from before she went missing. It is the only picture I have of me and my sister.

Attachments

• E0E6721D-21E9-46D4-AF65-19E543FDFE74.jpeg
    E0E6721D-21E9-46D4-AF65-19E543FDFE74.jpeg
    78.6 KB · Views: 86
Hello,
I am Kelly, Julie Soracco’s younger sister. I now live in Florida but I’m from Sacramento, CA, where my sisters and I lived with our mom.

She went missing when I was about 7 or 8.
My mom was a single mom raising me (the youngest), Maria (the middle sister who passed away in 2011), and Julie (the oldest). My mom, who passed away in 2002, didn’t have the money to hire a detective. I don’t even know if there was a police report for Julie. Julie was a troubled teen, a hitchhiker, and in and out of Juvenile Hall. It sounds like she lived off and on with her grandparents, and a foster family who lived in Placerville.

When the Golden State Killer was arrested in 2018, that is when I began my search for Julie again. I posted a message on a Facebook group that helps with missing person cases and a private investigator found me. We’ve been working together for over a year, and I only recently found out about Dr. Soracco and his son, which is Julie’s dad. I recently got to meet Julie’s father over the summer.

From what I've been told, Julie was last seen
In the late 70’s leaving her foster parents house, and heading towards a friend’s house. She was offered a ride there but wanted to walk.

I uploaded a photo of Julie and I from before she went missing. It is the only picture I have of me and my sister.

Kelly, first I would like to express my condolences for you and your families' loss(es). How wonderful that you were able to meet Julies father and are working with a PI to gather info on her whereabouts. You were both adorable!
Second, it is important here on WS if you would kindly take the time to go through the simple verification process to become a verified inside family member. This will allow you to post whatever info you like, and not have to backup with an MSM link. (See TOS)
Verification Process for Professional or Insider Posters

Also-who was the last person to see your sister alive? Who offered her the ride to her friends house? Do you have any idea what the relationship dynamic was like between her and the foster family? Did they ever search for her? Why no police report? I apologize for the bombarding of questions...
We are a great team of people that will do what we can to help. Welcome again and if you have any questions feel free to post and someone will help!

Hi Kelly,

Just wanted to welcome you. I hope you are able to learn what happened to Julie. Knowing she hitched rides, which was so common in the 70s, maybe she changed her mind about walking that day? Or had plans to meet someone and visiting the friend was her cover?

I hope you will continue to post, and share any thoughts you might have on suggested matches.

I wonder who is this woman. Her picture was in Julie's wallet
20190729_121643.png

Ponderosa High School is 11 mins away from Placerville. The school colours are a dark green like in the photo.

'Tracy' might have been a student at Ponderosa High School in the 1977 time period and this is her id card with the green school color background.

Worth checking out. Trying to find an example of a PHS id card from that period or a year book to see if there's anything there.

Ponderosa High School is 11 mins away from Placerville. The school colours are a dark green like in the photo.

'Tracy' might have been a student at Ponderosa High School in the 1977 time period and this is her id card with the green school color background.

Worth checking out. Trying to find an example of a PHS id card from that period or a year book to see if there's anything there.

Year book photos from Ponderosa HS are on Ancestry. I have searched them for the period (late 50s to mid 60s dob) filtered to the name Tracy (or Tracey) and, unfortunately I do not see any obvious match. There are plenty of girls with that name but none look like the picture. This is not definitive because appearances (especially hairstyles) change but the facial shape in the picture is quite striking. It is also possible some pupils photos are missing - but the records for Ponderosa on Ancestry are extensive.

This UID seems like a pretty good possibility: The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Found on March 1, 1978, the estimated time since death being "months". Age is estimated at 19-21, but that seems to be a reasonable discrepancy. Same with the height estimate being 5'6". The location she was found, Livermore, isn't that far from Placerville and Sacramento (definitely closer than most California UIDs from the late 70s, which seem to overwhelmingly be in Southern California). Unfortunately there does not seem to be any facial reconstructions available. Hair is described as black (this seems to be a reasonable discrepancy, I've definitely confused black and dark brown hair before) and "Long dark and quite wavy. 12 inches or more." That description seems to match Juile, in what appear to be the photos taken closest to her disappearance (the ones where she is wearing earrings). The clothing description is quite detailed, and seems to match what someone would wear in wintertime, matching the several months prior estimate time period of death. Very unusual socks that stuck out to me when reading the descrption: "Calf-length multi-colored tye-dye socks, "My Apple Pie" with printed forks and apple pie designs all over socks"

Interesting someone thought the girl in the helmet from Alcala's photo could have been Julie. My first thought to this girl was that she looks like she could have been one of Alcala's victim as she certainly fits down his physical preference...

But I don't think she looks like the woman in that photo at all. And I believe she may be an unidentified corpse. So now we have to match it up.

This is soooooo sad.
The first point I make is Julie and the absolutely, Atypical behaviours of American teenage girls of that particular era. Sadly, thousands of the countries Jane Doe's have exactly the same background story. ie. Skipping school, hitchhiking, partying, travelling across states with friends, using aliases and most had numerous reports of running away created in the countdown to vanishing. Startling numbers of girls vanishing from juvenile facilities. And what is the saddest thing of all (and also mirrors the disappearance of Cheryl Shille Wyant) is that like Julie, numerous teenage girls vanished from such facilities and foster homes And were never even reported to LE by the very people who were being paid an income to take care of them. It was usually a judge whom determined what actions such be taken to safeguard the habitual runaways who were somewhat known to LE. If run ins with the agencies frequently occurred the ultimate decision was taken out of the parents hands and their daughters were handed over to people who didn't bat an eyelid when these girls vanished without trace. That in itself is criminal. Poor girls only seeking adventure yet were placed directly in the line of danger! Then having to wait for decades to pass before their younger biological siblings were old enough to realise and have them reported as missing. It is absolutely mind boggling and people from the top to the bottom need to answer for their failings. Too little too late and long overdue but a Government Inquiry or Federal Investigation into all of the inadequate agencies involved in such cases should be called for long ago. People should be held accountable. The families deserve answers and resting places deserve headstones with a family name upon. I pray hard for that Julie and Cheryl and aaaall the girls can one day be taken home and reunited with family in 1 way or another. God Bless X

This is soooooo sad.
The first point I make is Julie and the absolutely, Atypical behaviours of American teenage girls of that particular era. Sadly, thousands of the countries Jane Doe's have exactly the same background story. ie. Skipping school, hitchhiking, partying, travelling across states with friends, using aliases and most had numerous reports of running away created in the countdown to vanishing. Startling numbers of girls vanishing from juvenile facilities. And what is the saddest thing of all (and also mirrors the disappearance of Cheryl Shille Wyant) is that like Julie, numerous teenage girls vanished from such facilities and foster homes And were never even reported to LE by the very people who were being paid an income to take care of them. It was usually a judge whom determined what actions such be taken to safeguard the habitual runaways who were somewhat known to LE. If run ins with the agencies frequently occurred the ultimate decision was taken out of the parents hands and their daughters were handed over to people who didn't bat an eyelid when these girls vanished without trace. That in itself is criminal. Poor girls only seeking adventure yet were placed directly in the line of danger! Then having to wait for decades to pass before their younger biological siblings were old enough to realise and have them reported as missing. It is absolutely mind boggling and people from the top to the bottom need to answer for their failings. Too little too late and long overdue but a Government Inquiry or Federal Investigation into all of the inadequate agencies involved in such cases should be called for long ago. People should be held accountable. The families deserve answers and resting places deserve headstones with a family name upon. I pray hard for that Julie and Cheryl and aaaall the girls can one day be taken home and reunited with family in 1 way or another. God Bless X

In this particular case, worse than you think. I had a post removed from this thread but go and google Dr. Soracco of Placerville, died around 2007. He is her grandfather mentioned in the missing persons details. Go read his obituary. Seems he put all into his community but did nothing for his granddaughter. She's not even mentioned.

In this particular case, worse than you think. I had a post removed from this thread but go and google Dr. Soracco of Placerville, died around 2007. He is her grandfather mentioned in the missing persons details. Go read his obituary. Seems he put all into his community but did nothing for his granddaughter. She's not even mentioned.

Sleuthing of family is strictly forbidden. And it is not unusual for grandchildren not to be specifically mentioned in obits. For three of my grandparents' obits all it mentions of me was "six grandchildren and two great grand children" and that's it.

Sleuthing of family is strictly forbidden. And it is not unusual for grandchildren not to be specifically mentioned in obits. For three of my grandparents' obits all it mentions of me was "six grandchildren and two great grand children" and that's it.

He had three grandchildren, two boys and Julie. The boys are mentioned by name in the Obit. So is the step son, nephews and brother in law.

I was curious as to why a 15yo girl and only granddaughter, for 40 years never had a missing persons report filed. And why as mentioned on the charley project her grandfather didn't want it publicized. The Obit filed that in for me.

Placerville looks like a fairly small town. I might be way off base, but if the population was even smaller in the 70s, and the grandfather was a local doctor, there may have also been concern about reputation and social standing in the community of they thought she was involved in anything "questionable" ? Small towns can be weird, even today. Maybe there was already tension and it gossip with her in foster care?

Speculation by me, of course. Just thinking of reasons why he wouldn't want publicity.

After knowing a little more about the history of the family I'd say you are hitting close to home.

Unless Julie lightened her hair, I don't think the UID Otterly suggested above with black hair was Julie as the UID's pubic hair was also described as black, so it seems the UID absolutely had black hair. I guess it is still *possible* it is Julie though?

Julie's hair looks almost reddish-brown to me in her photographs, but that may just be the lighting or image quality.

Unless Julie lightened her hair, I don't think the UID Otterly suggested above with black hair was Julie as the UID's pubic hair was also described as black, so it seems the UID absolutely had black hair. I guess it is still *possible* it is Julie though?

Julie's hair looks almost reddish-brown to me in her photographs, but that may just be the lighting or image quality.
It's the lighting. I'll fix that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back