Identified! KY - Bourbon Co., Skull found in creek, Apr'16 - Clay Reed

Rest in Peace Mr. Reed

Is it possible they left his Namus profile active because they only found his skull?

That's a good question. But I figured that, if they found partial remains, it would count as being found. There's lost of cases that I've seen (i.e. dismembered and put into a dumpster) where you know that they're no longer alive. That would basically end the search in terms of them being a living person that skipped town.

That's a good question. But I figured that, if they found partial remains, it would count as being found. There's lost of cases that I've seen (i.e. dismembered and put into a dumpster) where you know that they're no longer alive. That would basically end the search in terms of them being a living person that skipped town.

Yes, it counts as being found and I hope it brings closure to his family (I know nothing about his case). However, I was thinking that they may want to keep him in the database in case they find future remains. That way they can match up any other fragments they find and not have to open another UID case. IDK, I'm just speculating. There was a case in California where they found partial remains (bones) of a woman and they identified her from DNA. Many months later another hiker found her skull. I guess it's common for animals or weather to scatter remains. :(

Regardless, RIP Clay Reed.

...they found partial remains (bones) of a woman and they identified her from DNA. Many months later another hiker found her skull. I guess it's common for animals or weather to scatter remains.

I can't help but wonder, did they really do much of a search after the skull was found?

Bourbon County is mostly horse farm country. There generally aren't many wooded areas or ravines where things could remain hidden for long. In Kentucky, horse farms in that neck of the woods basically means "people with money." People that look after their horses (and hence where the horses live). Horses won't race well if they're not tended to closely.

The skull was found in a small creek. A creek that, even in flooding conditions, could not have carried the skull very far from the rest him.

I'd like to think that, if a skull or any human remains were found, they'd look around upstream and downstream for more remains. It would be much different if the skull was found alongside the Kentucky River, the Licking River (into which the creek eventually flows) or the Ohio River. Those rivers would be able to carry something for many miles and are decent-sized waterways. Hutchinson Creek is nothing like that. It's tiny in comparison.

I can't help but feel they just didn't look any further after finding the skull.

Mr Reed's still in NamUS...

How does NamUS keep track of their cases?

Clay Reed and Robert Jones are both still there (as of 11/11/2016).
Jones was found dead earlier this summer.
Mr Reed was ID'ed about a month ago

Hopefully, those links I gave will no longer be there before too long.
But since it's been months, I wonder if you have to report somebody "unmissing" to NamUS to get them out of the database.

He was supposedly identified years ago. Yet his NamUS profile is still up and he still comes up when searching for KY missing persons.

Clay Jeffrey Reed (NamUs #MP34685)

?????

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member