Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #121

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bridge needs to be renovated. Otherwise it continues to deteriorate and an accident is inevitable. We can't wait for Bridge Guy to be captured because there isn't a logical timetable. These threads could be going a decade from now.

After I walked the bridge in November my immediate thought was that it needs to be fully fenced off near the foot of the bridge so other knuckleheads can't do what I did...effortlessly loop around the gate with the lock and warning sign. That discourages nothing.

Planks are soft and squishy. That's the overriding problem that is seldom mentioned and won't show up in any drone video. It's not a big deal avoiding the missing plank or the areas where the gaps are widest. The planks vary wildly in terms of stability and it isn't always obvious via appearance. Maybe 1/3 of the way through I put my left foot forward on a seemingly solid plank. Next thing you know it's giving way to the point I'm leaning backward and doing a full two-armed whirlybird trying to regain my balance.

Fortunately it succeeded. I don't want to guess what would have happened if I'd fallen fully backward into the planks. But a situation like that is why I decided beforehand to stop and film at only certain intervals, instead of filming while walking as others have.

Maybe 100 feet later there was another lesser version of the same thing. That's when I decided there was no chance I'm crossing again on the way back. It ended up a one hour detour through the woods but that was perfectly acceptable.

Also, the platforms on the bridge seem secure but just imagine if one of them goes. Nothing can save you. That could happen without warning. It would be favorite to give way in an instant without warning. At least if a plank gave way you might be able to fall in such a manner not to go through the opening.

Charming visuals, huh?

Such a great area. I walked several trails in Delphi including Canal Park area, Trailhead Park area and Moyer Gould Woods. Monon High is far the best kept and most scenic. It deserves to be the centerpiece. I've read the details of the planned renovation including rails and an expanded trail all the way back to Delphi. That's a mile away.

Very ambitious and admirable but I have no idea how they can do it for that price tag. Maybe I'm using my area as reference. The permitting alone would run $260,000.
I've got an idea. BG should just give himself up now. Then the reward money can go towards the fund.

Well I like most have been following the Delphi double homicide for three years. I think I have thought of every realistic scenario like everybody else.

Yet still there is no break in the case as far as we the general public are aware.

The Girls were dropped off at approximately 13:38pm

The Next and last anyone saw or heard of them was apparently 14:07 pm photograph which Libby took of Abby on the bridge.

It is still factually unknown if the 14:07 pm photo was the time the photo was taken or when it was opened by a recipient. All I know is I saw that photo online with its time stamp 3 years ago and now I can't find it anywhere.

I like most everyone else I thought this case would be cracked within days. Yet here I am still wondering why the person behind the Voice and the very short video footage has not been recognised.

As Sherlock Holmes once said, “when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth”?

I am now going into the realms of the improbable because I have exhausted all the impossibles.

Please note I do not find it unusual that two girls out and about took 29 mins to walk the path from the drop of point to the bridge, semi cross the bridge take a photographs. This really is not an unreasonable amount of time.

SO WHAT I AM ABOUT TO EXPLORE IS PROBABLY VERY VERY IMPROBABLE.

Everyone always says a camera never lies. Something I will never believe again as I have recently learned about Green Screens and god knows what else. Its frigging scarey

What happens if Libby didn't take the photo of Abby on the bridge?

How about if a previous photo of Abby that day was placed on the bridge. The photograph of the Bridge being the Green Screen/Chroma Key or what ever techies like to call it.

As for the voice I may be naïve but once again a voice can be digitally changed.

In short I think the phone is the calling card of the killer and it was left to serve a purpose. That purpose is The Elephant In The Room.

I am purely novice, however I am like everyone else allowed to consider improbabilities. I am looking for a young (depends how old you are) , Tech Savvy individual who knows about mobile communications, green screens, uploading, downloading, video manipulation.

I am a firm believer that the phone was left for a reason. This person knows LE would jump all over it. If you take the phone and the video out of the equation. How would this case have been reported differently in a small town in Indiana? If it weren't for the mobile phone footage/sound presented to the general public?

As Always
Mingy Moo

When I hear 25 phones my first thought is that nobody visits these trails. That's the reality of the matter. I'll continue to wager the under on any number they want to profess toward trail visitors on February 13, 2017. I'll take foundational logic comfortably above anecdotal details.

Delphi is a trail town so they are proud of that fact and don't want to acknowledge the low number of times it actually plays out that way. When Kelsi was asked how many times she and Libby had visited the bridge she hesitated and said, "Multiple times."

No kidding. That was an unintentional hint toward the reality of the matter. This encompasses year after year. It's not dozens of times. It is a vague multiple times.

There are 3 homes along the outset of the trail. There is a business right there alongside County Road 300 as it curves. There is a small community behind the bridge. And it all encompasses 25 phones, even though you know darn well they used a liberal time frame from that day.
Ives mentions a 5 mile radius I believe. That's a large area.

Just started listening to the podcasts. At the end of episode 2 kelsie states that she told Libby to make sure she had a ride home and Libby called her dad. In a previous interview it was said Libby rang her Dad at the trailhead while Kelsie was on the phone. She said if Libby didn't have a ride she would have brought them Jhome again. Discussed post #668. Tresir2019. May be insignificant but there are a lot of discrepancies in these online interviews. Not accusing of anyone being deliberately misleading but it leaves me questioning how reliable the information is. Just an observation.
I have gone back to try and find the post of mine that you mention but cannot find it. What thread was it?

the fact that there were two victims suggests to me he has a very low opinion of females. To take on both, he had to be confident and smug

So its someone sure of himself, probably someone in good shape to have that level of confidence. Someone with a grudge against females or a low opinion of them. Probably charming and manipulative if you couple that confidence with the very little audio we have.

After listening to the latest podcast I’m starting to think the girls made a break for it across the freezing creek (which is incredibly brave and clever). He didn’t lead them to there, as the crime scene was in view of a house

Any other skittish criminal would of hightailed it out of there as soon as the girls crossed the freezing water, but no way BG was going to let two young girls win.
I haven't settled on whether or not the killer led the girls to that spot or the girls ran and he caught up with them there. Either way the creek plays a significant role for me. If he led them that spot, why? And how did he know about it? Knowledge of the area from having been there in the past? If the girls ran then this was not part of what he planned ahead of time. And if he killed in the past, then he may have had to alter how he commits the murders. This altering of the crime may be significant enough that it doesn't bear a resemblance to a previous murder. Or a subsequent murder. If there are 3 signatures to this crime, what if 2 of the 3 occurred as a result of how the events unfolded outside his plan and not necessarily what he would have normally done if he has killed before or since?

I haven't settled on whether or not the killer led the girls to that spot or the girls ran and he caught up with them there. Either way the creek plays a significant role for me. If he led them that spot, why? And how did he know about it? Knowledge of the area from having been there in the past? If the girls ran then this was not part of what he planned ahead of time. And if he killed in the past, then he may have had to alter how he commits the murders. This altering of the crime may be significant enough that it doesn't bear a resemblance to a previous murder. Or a subsequent murder. If there are 3 signatures to this crime, what if 2 of the 3 occurred as a result of how the events unfolded outside his plan and not necessarily what he would have normally done if he has killed before or since?
I hate saying this, but it's something I've considered all along. Depending on how wet he got, what if going through the cold water chilled him to the point of not being able to do what he intended to do (SA). That could have frustrated him, maybe causing various outward behaviours.

Stranger things have possibly happened, yet I don't know when. LOL.
Re prosthetic leg (not that i think it went down this way) but -every time someone thinks something is too bizarre to even contemplate, it turns out there are cases where it has in fact happened ! imo.
Man commits murder after removing prosthetic leg with ankle GPS
''Published June 22, 2016
WASHINGTON - A review is underway at the District's Pre-Trial Services agency after a GPS monitoring device was incorrectly placed on a man's prosthetic leg.
That man, 34-year-old Quincy Green, took off his leg and committed a murder''

Oscar Pistorius’s Murder Sentence Is Increased to 15 Years
  • Nov. 24, 2017
''LONDON — South Africa’s Supreme Court of Appeal on Friday more than doubled the sentence imposed by a lower court on Oscar Pistorius, a double-amputee Olympic sprinter convicted of killing his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp, in his home in February 2013.''

Murder victim beaten with own false leg
''Mark Swinhoe death: Victim was beaten with own prosthetic leg
11 July 2018''

Well I like most have been following the Delphi double homicide for three years. I think I have thought of every realistic scenario like everybody else.

Yet still there is no break in the case as far as we the general public are aware.

The Girls were dropped off at approximately 13:38pm

The Next and last anyone saw or heard of them was apparently 14:07 pm photograph which Libby took of Abby on the bridge.

It is still factually unknown if the 14:07 pm photo was the time the photo was taken or when it was opened by a recipient. All I know is I saw that photo online with its time stamp 3 years ago and now I can't find it anywhere.

I like most everyone else I thought this case would be cracked within days. Yet here I am still wondering why the person behind the Voice and the very short video footage has not been recognised.

As Sherlock Holmes once said, “when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth”?

I am now going into the realms of the improbable because I have exhausted all the impossibles.

Please note I do not find it unusual that two girls out and about took 29 mins to walk the path from the drop of point to the bridge, semi cross the bridge take a photographs. This really is not an unreasonable amount of time.

SO WHAT I AM ABOUT TO EXPLORE IS PROBABLY VERY VERY IMPROBABLE.

Everyone always says a camera never lies. Something I will never believe again as I have recently learned about Green Screens and god knows what else. Its frigging scarey

What happens if Libby didn't take the photo of Abby on the bridge?

How about if a previous photo of Abby that day was placed on the bridge. The photograph of the Bridge being the Green Screen/Chroma Key or what ever techies like to call it.

As for the voice I may be naïve but once again a voice can be digitally changed.

In short I think the phone is the calling card of the killer and it was left to serve a purpose. That purpose is The Elephant In The Room.

I am purely novice, however I am like everyone else allowed to consider improbabilities. I am looking for a young (depends how old you are) , Tech Savvy individual who knows about mobile communications, green screens, uploading, downloading, video manipulation.

I am a firm believer that the phone was left for a reason. This person knows LE would jump all over it. If you take the phone and the video out of the equation. How would this case have been reported differently in a small town in Indiana? If it weren't for the mobile phone footage/sound presented to the general public?

As Always
Mingy Moo

Attachments

• 713E52AB-9E5A-4D30-B52B-8A676F463E76.jpeg
    713E52AB-9E5A-4D30-B52B-8A676F463E76.jpeg
    73.5 KB · Views: 127
I have gone back to try and find the post of mine that you mention but cannot find it. What thread was it?
Think it was #112. Quite a while ago, possibly Sept. I wasn't challenging your post. I had commented on what if DG said that he couldn't pick them up but it seemed BP said that he would never say no. I was thinking along the lines that he may have other matters to attend and not be able to collect them until much later than they wanted. When I heard the Podcast it was a contradiction of what I had heard previously.

Still don't think he's a local - they would have had him by now IMHO. What really bothers me most about this case is that the evil *advertiser censored* got right up to the girls, will have realised they were children and still went ahead with his murderous act. That to me makes me think he must have done something really bad prior to this.
I've read about all I can on the Delphi Murders of Abby and Libby, my heart breaks for their families and I just hope there will be justice soon. 3 years is a long time for this piece of **** to be still living his life, he doesn't deserve to :mad:. If he's not in jail or dead he can do this again, and he probably will.
I just wish they'd ran straight ahead past that cordon / red metal gate thing onto private property, but the girls obviously froze in fear when he whipped the weapon out. I think they did try and make a break for it across the creek (after going "down the hill") but he probably caught up to 1 (when she lost her shoe) and shouted the other back whilst having a gun pointing at the accosted ones head (she wouldn't leave her friend bless her). There will have been shouting / screaming, it's just a shame there were no witnesses near enough to hear anything or help the girls (apparently you could see the area they were killed from the bridge itself).
They were certainly in the wrong place at the wrong time, fate dealt the girls the very worst possible hand that day :(. Please let this fella be caught soon, let today be THE DAY.
I wish the girls had split up and run like hell in opposite directions. There's a good chance one of them could have gotten away; it's even possible that BG would have high-tailed it himself once he realized that he wouldn't be able to capture both girls.
Truck drivers. I cannot believe there were only 25 phone numbers in the area if the truck drivers at Packers and Andersons and Dairy Queen plus other companies were also in the mix. Something doesn't seem right here if the population of Delphi is 3,000 alone.
I think BG probably knew enough to put his cell phone in airplane mode or turn it off. I think that any organized serial killer nowadays would know to do that.
He may have even left it at home.

Last edited:

IMO it would have been more risky to cross the creek (check the waterline during the Feb 14 search!), than to commit the crime -whatever the plan was, if any - right there in that wooded area.

When you watch the Alexis McAdams interview with Sgt Holeman (FOX59), she asks him, if the phone was left in the area (like other evidence) and he hesitates and says its a fair statement, it was in the general area.
Since the cell phone was not found together with Libby's shoe in that part of the woods just before the creek (at least not that we know it), and Holeman hesitated and mentioned the 'general' area, it is also possible the phone was located in the water! And how did it get there? Thrown away by BG or being lost by Libby. They were looking for something, when line-searching (helicopter video) the water in the area the girls must have (supposedly) crossed the creek, perhaps for the phone (since they knew about the snapchat pics at that time) or additional evidence.

I therefore believe things went down rapidly once BG caught up with the victims. If he spoke the 'Guys...Down the hill' right on the SE end of the bridge, he sounded calm and determined. He seems to address both girls, hence both were alive at that time. From that point on something happened right there or shortly after. IMO the plan was to rape at least one of the girls in that wooded area "down the hill". Perhaps BG thought the other one would run away. Things may have literally gone downhill from there and the girl(s) made a run towards the creek. Libby loses her shoe(s) on land phone in the water. That may be the reason she was not able to place a 911 call. Or she was in a fight with BG, which again prevented her from placing the call and Abby wasn't going to leave her.

Here is the FOX 59 interview with Sgt Holeman again, for anyone who is interested. Scroll down to second video below the article,marker24:15ff re the cellphone:

Lead detective in Delphi murders confirms police have more audio from phone, DNA evidence

ALL IMO

-Nin

IMO it would have been more risky to cross the creek (check the waterline during the Feb 14 search!), than to commit the crime -whatever the plan was, if any - right there in that wooded area.

When you watch the Alexis McAdams interview with Sgt Holeman (FOX59), she asks him, if the phone was left in the area (like other evidence) and he hesitates and says its a fair statement, it was in the general area.
Since the cell phone was not found together with Libby's shoe in that part of the woods just before the creek (at least not that we know it), and Holeman hesitated and mentioned the 'general' area, it is also possible the phone was located in the water! And how did it get there? Thrown away by BG or being lost by Libby. They were looking for something, when line-searching (helicopter video) the water in the area the girls must have (supposedly) crossed the creek, perhaps for the phone (since they knew about the snapchat pics at that time) or additional evidence.

I therefore believe things went down rapidly once BG caught up with the victims. If he spoke the 'Guys...Down the hill' right on the SE end of the bridge, he sounded calm and determined. He seems to address both girls, hence both were alive at that time. From that point on something happened right there or shortly after. IMO the plan was to rape at least one of the girls in that wooded area "down the hill". Perhaps BG thought the other one would run away. Things may have literally gone downhill from there and the girl(s) made a run towards the creek. Libby loses her shoe(s) on land phone in the water. That may be the reason she was not able to place a 911 call. Or she was in a fight with BG, which again prevented her from placing the call and Abby wasn't going to leave her.

Here is the FOX 59 interview with Sgt Holeman again, for anyone who is interested. Scroll down to second video below the article,marker24:15ff re the cellphone:

Lead detective in Delphi murders confirms police have more audio from phone, DNA evidence

ALL IMO

-Nin
LE has said the crime began soon after the video clip. I am wondering if BG ordered the girls almost immediately to remove some or all of their clothing.

That certainly would be considered a criminal activity.

If he then ordered them to hold what they had removed and begin moving, it seems entirely possible that pieces of what they had removed might have been dropped along the way....especially during a creek crossing....or especially if they began to run.

Not saying this is what happened. Just wondering if it might have happened that way.

That case looks like it was because LE did not get a warrant to get the data. Getting a probable cause warrant for a tower dump in a brutal double murder of two children would have been no problem surely? They must have done that didn't they?
Then to get the individual warrants after first checking off those phones of the people known to be at the trails that day. I cannot see a judge refusing this, I hope.

IMO.
I do believe they got a tower dump warrant. I think what the retired prosecutor is trying to say probably is establishing probable cause for individual search warrant for the narrowed 25 phone numbers is the issue. I do think that LE has a few people under its watch and is waiting to get a break. Hopefully, it happens soon.

Thanks for the link. In this case, I keep coming back to the creek crossing. It's always bothered me.

There are a hundred theories existing within these threads as to why they crossed the creek. I've only really considered about a handful of them as reasonable, but with RI's recent comments about the CS being "odd," and there being "signatures," I now have to ask myself what role the creek might have actually played for BG in this crime, aside from simply being an obstacle to overcome.

BG could have taken the girls to another hidden location to kill them. One that did not include crossing the creek. He even could have risked killing them in the woods below the bridge. But if he did indeed lead them across, why? Drowning alone would be MO, IMO, although that could have been a factor. I don't, personally, believe there was time or planning enough for some of the religious, ritualistic ideas for the creek's involvement, but I do think leading the girls through cold, somewhat deep running water in the middle of winter, and especially having to go through it himself, was strange and totally unnecessary for the crime, and thus an "odd" "signature." IDK...just a very random thought I'm having.
Maybe to wash their feet?.wasnt a shoe found away from the site?

LE has said the crime began soon after the video clip. I am wondering if BG ordered the girls almost immediately to remove some or all of their clothing.

That certainly would be considered a criminal activity.

If he then ordered them to hold what they had removed and begin moving, it seems entirely possible that pieces of what they had removed might have been dropped along the way....especially during a creek crossing....or especially if they began to run.

Not saying this is what happened. Just wondering if it might have happened that way.

Yes but that evidence would have been seen around the time people began searching for the girls.

JMO

I do believe they got a tower dump warrant. I think what the retired prosecutor is trying to say probably is establishing probable cause for individual search warrant for the narrowed 25 phone numbers is the issue. I do think that LE has a few people under its watch and is waiting to get a break. Hopefully, it happens soon.

I just wonder how someone who woke up that day bent on murder wouldn't cover their own tracks, I think it 's a big reason why here we are 3 years later with no arrest, and LE haven't even hinted they have any POI in the case.

I've referred to BG as a daylight phantom before, here. I think this guy so well covered his tracks and was careful about what he did at the CS that it will be very difficult to figure out who did it, when the time comes and a judge has to sit there and make a crucial decision or decisions regarding allowing surveillance, and an arrest warrant, etc.

JMO

the fact that there were two victims suggests to me he has a very low opinion of females. To take on both, he had to be confident and smug

So its someone sure of himself, probably someone in good shape to have that level of confidence. Someone with a grudge against females or a low opinion of them. Probably charming and manipulative if you couple that confidence with the very little audio we have.

After listening to the latest podcast I’m starting to think the girls made a break for it across the freezing creek (which is incredibly brave and clever). He didn’t lead them to there, as the crime scene was in view of a house

Any other skittish criminal would of hightailed it out of there as soon as the girls crossed the freezing water, but no way BG was going to let two young girls win.

I think he did not want two, but with his organized thinking, time was the essence. One is the witness, no time to talk to her, let’s kill her, too.
Another version, that everything lasted much longer, and this bespeaks a very sick predator, but everyone says it is impossible.

@Awsi Dooger , thank you for your very interesting description.

I have a question, is the bridge needed? Strategically? I have seen many European cities where bridges play the functional role, connecting two parts of the city divided by the major river, and without them, normal functioning of the cities would be impossible. Some are drawn up overnight, effectively disconnecting the two parts of the cities.

But in Delphi, is it easy to get to both sides of the creek sans the bridge? Does the bridge even form a shortcut across the creek? Or is it just an old, shaky, ornament?

I think there may be increased tourism into the town because of the murders, but to me, it is like a curiosity delay. Maybe it is just me, but won't it be easier to just close that bridge? It is morbid, bad history.

No, the bridge is not needed strategically. It would be a centerpiece of the trail system. The bridge was necessary for a train route, beginning perhaps a century or more ago. Maybe locals would know where those tracks extended. I assume it curled the mile west through Delphi proper. Toward the south I have no idea.

The routing must have dictated crossing the ravine in that area. It was strictly a locomotive bridge so no use for pedestrians or to connect sections of the city, per your example of Europe. The first time I visited Europe decades ago I was amazed at how vital and interesting the bridges were. The shopping bridge in Florence comes to mind first. Also the great variance of bridges in Copenhagen. I could keep going...

I'm not even sure if that small enclave of Delphi behind the bridge even existed when the train tracks were built. Those homes are more widely spaced than Delphi proper. Freedom Bridge over State Road 25 now serves to connect one side of Delphi to the other side. Delphi proper is on the northwest of 25 while the bridge is on the southeast side. From what I've read the bridge trail renovation plans include an extension of the trail all the way to center Delphi itself. Right now it is possible to walk that route but it would be clumsy along the east/west main road through town. I doubt many people do it.

There are other functional bridges in Delphi. I saw one at Canal Park that did serve to unite small communities on two different sides. I believe that was called Wabash canal. But at Monon High the creek does sort of an S pattern underneath the bridge, if you can envision that. The girls were killed near the top left swirl of the S. Then the middle of the S would be directly underneath the bridge. Then the creek loops around to the right (north) once beyond the bridge.

Crossing the creek in that area is hardly a daily concern. That is a very low populated section of a very low populated town. State Road 25 crosses the creek not far from Freedom Bridge. That road would account for virtually every crossing.

Scroll lower at this link and the layout of the city is visible. Monon High Bridge Trail would be far right center of the map. You can see how isolated it is from the remainder of the town. I like that map because it shows the layout of the old railroad lines. As I suspected, it looks like the railway route through Monon High looped west to connect to other main lines in Delphi proper, and then exited with one track northwest near Canal Park and toward Pittsburg while another track curled southward near the current site of Trailhead Park. BTW, that's Pittsburg the Indiana version and not Pittsburgh, PA roughly 400 miles east:

Delphi Canal Center

Great analysis and I'll chime in with some commentary from what I know about the area in question, the properties, and some history.

I'll include a video from a YT user which shows the right-of-way from Pittsburg, IN, west of Delphi to the end of the Monon High Btridge to the east. I used it as a guide for the bridge and the area around it, right after the murders. Over 33,000 views to date, I take it some other people found it over the last 3 years, too ;-)

No, the bridge is not needed strategically. It would be a centerpiece of the trail system. The bridge was necessary for a train route, beginning perhaps a century or more ago. Maybe locals would know where those tracks extended. I assume it curled the mile west through Delphi proper. Toward the south I have no idea.

The line ran to Frankfort, IN, north of Indy. Another bridge built by the same company in the 1890's over Wildcat Creek is at:

40°28'02.0"N 86°37'52.1"W

It's the same RR line. West of Delphi the line would have curved to the NW towards Chicagoland.

Google shows the two bridges are roughly a 16 minute drive from each other using U.S. 421. Wildcat Creek is another tributary of the Wabash River watershed. The bridge was washed out during a storm in recent years, the center section of the bridge is gone now.

The routing must have dictated crossing the ravine in that area. It was strictly a locomotive bridge so no use for pedestrians or to connect sections of the city, per your example of Europe. The first time I visited Europe decades ago I was amazed at how vital and interesting the bridges were. The shopping bridge in Florence comes to mind first. Also the great variance of bridges in Copenhagen. I could keep going...

I'm not even sure if that small enclave of Delphi behind the bridge even existed when the train tracks were built. Those homes are more widely spaced than Delphi proper. Freedom Bridge over State Road 25 now serves to connect one side of Delphi to the other side. Delphi proper is on the northwest of 25 while the bridge is on the southeast side. From what I've read the bridge trail renovation plans include an extension of the trail all the way to center Delphi itself. Right now it is possible to walk that route but it would be clumsy along the east/west main road through town. I doubt many people do it.

In the video below it shows Milroy Crossing on the east side of the Freedom Bridge, it's roughly where the official trailhead is for the Monon High Brodge Trail by IN 25, a short walk from where the CPS bldg was located. The significance of this is a Milroy family owned the land the railroad ran the line through, so they must have made an agreement for a bridge to be built so Mr. Milroy and his workers could move animals, equipment, crops, etc., underneath the RR line. Samuel Milroy Rd. is named after him.

The only other families which would have had land along there on the north side of the creek where the RR went through would have been the M family and the Girard's. A USGS photo file I have shows a house down by the creek in the 50's, the current trail to the creek was the driveway to that house back then.

C.R. 625 becomes a private drive near to the bridge, as many of us know. Along C.R. 625 are a mix of post-war homes, mostly, built between 50's to the 70's, mostly. Some newer homes were built since the railroad line was abandoned, anyone with Google Earth on their computers can go back through archived photos to see this. Prior to that, the land was farms and some was owned by CSX Transportation.

There are other functional bridges in Delphi. I saw one at Canal Park that did serve to unite small communities on two different sides. I believe that was called Wabash canal. But at Monon High the creek does sort of an S pattern underneath the bridge, if you can envision that. The girls were killed near the top left swirl of the S. Then the middle of the S would be directly underneath the bridge. Then the creek loops around to the right (north) once beyond the bridge.

Crossing the creek in that area is hardly a daily concern. That is a very low populated section of a very low populated town. State Road 25 crosses the creek not far from Freedom Bridge. That road would account for virtually every crossing.

Translated to Falling Down-ese, my $.02: Nobody would have been along that section of creek along the creek bed, even on a mild February day.

Prior to 2014, the original right-of-way for the RR still existed where Freedom Bridge crosses IN 25, now. C.R. 300 had an easier path through that area, between Andersons and Delphi, yet it still would have been the same, sleepy rural road it is today.

Scroll lower at this link and the layout of the city is visible. Monon High Bridge Trail would be far right center of the map. You can see how isolated it is from the remainder of the town. I like that map because it shows the layout of the old railroad lines. As I suspected, it looks like the railway route through Monon High looped west to connect to other main lines in Delphi proper, and then exited with one track northwest near Canal Park and toward Pittsburg while another track curled southward near the current site of Trailhead Park. BTW, that's Pittsburg the Indiana version and not Pittsburgh, PA roughly 400 miles east:

Delphi Canal Center

Video showing a walk from Pittsburg to the MHB:

Another $.02 from me: My hunch is BG knows all this stuff, he knows that whole area in question very well.

JMO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members