GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam Co, 2 May 2014 - #13

SS used the GBI in this case......his reasons were that he didn't want anyone to think that the officer was receiving special treatment

That's odd, the Dermonds is such a horrific murder and very unique situation......if he would use GBI in the Perrault case why not in the Dermond case?? Apparently he will use them to protect his force but not to solve a horrific murder??? Im confused

'Things just weren't the way things should be': Putnam County Sheriff calls death of officer's wife 'suspicious'
The officer
SS used the GBI in this case......his reasons were that he didn't want anyone to think that the officer was receiving special treatment

That's odd, the Dermonds is such a horrific murder and very unique situation......if he would use GBI in the Perrault case why not in the Dermond case?? Apparently he will use them to protect his force but not to solve a horrific murder??? Im confused

'Things just weren't the way things should be': Putnam County Sheriff calls death of officer's wife 'suspicious'
I'm not sure what his reasons are, but it's not to protect his department. The officer didn't work for SS. He worked for Eatonton PD.

The officer

I'm not sure what his reasons are, but it's not to protect his department. The officer didn't work for SS. He worked for Eatonton PD.
More about Sheriff Sills and this community

......but this domestic abuse case involved a Putnam county police officer, who had domestic charges against his wife,

She allegedly shot herself in the bedroom where the husband and officer found her

He called SS, instead of 911.........….who said it was a suspicious death initially and at some point Officer Perrault was arrested but released on bond of $1500.00

$1500.00....???

and now is not considered a suspect........

I know you have to follow the evidence, so yeah this was a domestic abuse case and the wife decided to let him come home.......we know how those end

and we've seen too many cops kill their spouses, Are we to honestly believe this…..

DOES SS really believe that?!

This is troubling to say the least, all the way around......which makes the Dermond case troubling moreso and recalling the Tex McIver case where SS said he didn't think he killed his wife, who was convicted of murder.....if anyone remembers or followed that case, SS was friends with the Atlanta atty and his high powered wife Diane McIver...….

Im beginning to think troubling thoughts about the opinions of this sheriff

Wife of Georgia police officer charged with domestic violence found dead
The officer didn't work for PC. He worked for the city of Eatonton. He also didn't call SS. He called Kent Lawrence (chief of Eatonton PD). Lawrence called SS while the officer was on the phone with him.

WOW, another town but also 15 miles from me or less ......like the Dermonds were when I lived at the lake...…..This one involved a young college student in Fort Valley GA, had Peach county PD, Fort Valley PD, GSP, GBI, Crawford County PD, maybe more involved to solve this.....The dad knew something was amiss, filed missing persons report after one day of not talking to his daughter ...he was in N. Ga.....

They got the guy, just now ….charged for malice murder, right after his bond hearing for criminal damage in a related situation haha.....that bail is no good now...now for new hearing on murder…..

Shows what happens when other agencies work together in a case. And when you have constant contact with the young and with the elderly...….instead of not talking to your 89 yr old parents for 5 days......this might've had a different outcome too and with more agencies involved...…..who knows...….Its a good day

About 9 weeks away from the anniversary and no new leads, no suspects Nothing. Can we now call it a cold case? Maybe a channel will do an investigation. I have see nothing new in a year except in one podcast he said he was working on something which I assume turned out to be nothing

About 9 weeks away from the anniversary and no new leads, no suspects Nothing. Can we now call it a cold case? Maybe a channel will do an investigation. I have see nothing new in a year except in one podcast he said he was working on something which I assume turned out to be nothing
Hmm, The Anitra Gunn case in Ft Valley GA...……..GBI ALL OVER IT, just arrested 2nd suspect this is only 2 weeks since that poor girls death...….more arrests possible...……..I was on the fence with GBI, now I wish SS had called them in.....of course this case we have 5 agencies on it or so.....Don't think the D's killer will ever be found..….no one to stand up for them basically. so elderly, their whole extended family is gone...just their kids left...so adamant about their life and their traveling and money but not even calls about their parents, not good advocates......
.so sad

SS can say he's working on it but if no leads come in he can't work with much. He might as well have that last shot of whiskey and tell us what he has that he doesn't want the killer to know he has
Speaking of...…..GBI and Peach county have kept public informed and what they're looking for..….except certain aspects of the case so not to compromise the investigation in any way......but come on...all that time, the male suspect was withheld and the items used on SD could have been things people may have noticed on someone's boat etc and would have looked out for early on...…...NOT 3 years later or whatever it was

Speaking of that what could SS have that he doesn't want the killer to know he has? Any ideas? Lets make this our new focus in the investiigation
Good question...…

Would it have DNA on it? If so then the perps are not in the database....YET

Could it be something that was pulled off them in the struggle?

Eye glasses?
necklace?

After the chaos and tracking down the many people who showed up for the meeting SS had at the clubhouse, this case has slowly crept down hill to a standstill.

I have never understood the complete or sensible reasoning why SS was so against GBI coming into the case. Actually, it sounded like SS was playing like a child who didn’t want competition from the GBI. We will never know the difference GBI may have made in solving this case. What we do know three years later is SS and the agencies brought into help have solved nothing.

Since SS had no problem with the other agencies helping, why was he so adamant that the GBI not help? To me, this has always sent up a Red Flag.

Another Red Flag for me, is, the manner in which SS has stated, announced, whatever word you wish to use, that he knows who did it, he just needs a stronger piece of evidence to convict the person.
(Something similar to this comment). Right, a local sheriff is going to make this statement to put this person on alert or even put his own, SS, life on the line.

IMO, there is a serious missing piece here. SS is the gatekeeper. It is like he doesn’t want the full story to be told. JMO.

Well said

I was always concerned he was the "gatekeeper"....he says not its not this or that so that's the end of it?

Im not sure I believe he has any idea and Im not sure I believe there was a "man on the lawn"

Something is seriously wrong here, there should have been so many clues, the perps were all over that house and yard
Quoting Foxfire...….there is never a perfect crime, only an imperfect investigation

I guess that means, what do you do with the evidence you collect
And did you collect everything he could have

It did seem like a competition with the GBI
but I know they turned on him in the nuwabian case, having him investigated as I understand it...........but...... was he doing something on the edge of illegal? IDK.....but the GBI are no saints...…….

however, they and other agencies got this young girls killer in Fort Valley GA pretty quickly....maybe it was an easy case IDK

but like you said, we'll never know on this case

After the chaos and tracking down the many people who showed up for the meeting SS had at the clubhouse, this case has slowly crept down hill to a standstill.

I have never understood the complete or sensible reasoning why SS was so against GBI coming into the case. Actually, it sounded like SS was playing like a child who didn’t want competition from the GBI. We will never know the difference GBI may have made in solving this case. What we do know three years later is SS and the agencies brought into help have solved nothing.

Since SS had no problem with the other agencies helping, why was he so adamant that the GBI not help? To me, this has always sent up a Red Flag.

Another Red Flag for me, is, the manner in which SS has stated, announced, whatever word you wish to use, that he knows who did it, he just needs a stronger piece of evidence to convict the person.
(Something similar to this comment). Right, a local sheriff is going to make this statement to put this person on alert or even put his own, SS, life on the line.

IMO, there is a serious missing piece here. SS is the gatekeeper. It is like he doesn’t want the full story to be told. JMO.

Maybe the thing he has has either a finger print or dna on it it's just not in the system. Maybe it's something the killer dropped or forgot to take i'd go with the latter. I'll be relistining to the podcasts over the next few weeks. Has their been any new updates these last few months?

credit to @fred&edna for discovering.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/a-lake-with-no-leads-30/id1466321575?i=1000461657705

Even if the DNA isn’t in the system they could use familial DNA to catch the three offenders or at least one of the three.

Maybe the thing he has has either a finger print or dna on it it's just not in the system. Maybe it's something the killer dropped or forgot to take i'd go with the latter. I'll be relistining to the podcasts over the next few weeks. Has their been any new updates these last few months?

Also I don’t necessarily think it’s anything they forgot. I don’t think the body (SD) was meant to be found. I think the evidence he discusses are tied to the way SD was tied down in the lake. Maybe something specific. Just think that was meant to be her final destination. Fortunately these pricks were wrong.

Y’all know a whole lot more than I do about the details in this case so there’s a good chance this makes no sense. I just can’t shake my brain from thinking that the Dermonds were not the intended victims and that that is contributing to the case not being solved. The over the top brutality of his death and the kinda clumsy disposal of her body may have been of the “oh no, now what do we do” reaction. If they were not the intended targets, the entire investigation has been on the wrong path, and the murders would make no sense. And these don’t in my opinion. Just my thoughts.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back