Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amonet

Reaction score
The number of people already infected by the mystery virus emerging in China is far greater than official figures suggest, scientists have told the BBC.

There have been 41 laboratory-confirmed cases of the new virus, but UK experts estimate the figure is closer to 1,700.

New Chinese virus 'will have infected hundreds'

Up to 4,500 patients in China may have caught the same strain of coronavirus that has killed two people, scientists fear.

Health officials in Wuhan – the city at the heart of the outbreak which started in December – confirmed four new cases today, taking the total to 48.

But Imperial College London researchers say this may be the 'tip of the iceberg' after analysing flights out of the city.

Experts say the fact three Chinese tourists have tested positive for the virus outside Wuhan indicates the disease toll may be higher than reported.

Scientists fear up to 4,500 Chinese patients may have caught the new coronavirus | Daily Mail Online

COVID-19 -Media, Maps, Videos, Timelines, CDC/WHO Resources, etc. ***NO DISCUSSION***

POLLS:

POLL: Confident that US agencies are doing everything to prevent the spread of COVID-19?

POLL: What concerns you most about COVID-19?

POLL: Confident in US medical facilities and personnel to adequately manage COVID-19?

POLL: What do you think the status of COVID-19 will be in six months (September, 2020)?

______

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8 Thread #9 Thread #10 Thread #11 Thread #12 Thread #13 Thread #14 Thread #15 Thread #16

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a current, accurate map of effected states?

The only map I can find that I think is doing a fairly good job of covering the cases for all of US is the BNO map. Link below. They are a little late lately with some of the new states reporting in the US because they wait to get official state figures, but usually within a day or so they seem to catch up.

You can zoom in and out, and also drag the map left and right. Then if you click on a DOT, it gives latest information for that area.

You may already be familiar with this map as we have shared it a lot when this started in China.

ETA - I am also including another site link "Worldometer" below that one that doesnt have a map for US but does have some good information for the world cases everywhere.

SARS-CoV-2 (BNO News / BNO Noticias Coronavirus tracker) - خرائطي على Google

Coronavirus Update (Live): 102,050 Cases and 3,494 Deaths from COVID-19 Wuhan China Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

The only map I can find that I think is doing a fairly good job of covering the cases for all of US is the BNO map. Link below. They are a little late lately with some of the new states reporting in the US because they wait to get official state figures, but usually within a day or so they seem to catch up.

You can zoom in and out, and also drag the map left and right. Then if you click on a DOT, it gives latest information for that area.

You may already be familiar with this map as we have shared it a lot when this started in China.

ETA - I am also including another site link "Worldometer" below that one that doesnt have a map for US but does have some good information for the world cases everywhere.

SARS-CoV-2 (BNO News / BNO Noticias Coronavirus tracker) - خرائطي على Google

Coronavirus Update (Live): 102,050 Cases and 3,494 Deaths from COVID-19 Wuhan China Virus Outbreak - Worldometer
I have been referring to this one quite a bit
Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS

Is there a current, accurate map of effected states?

Oh, and just found out on this link below, if you scroll past the international figures, at the bottom of that long list, you can click on USA and if you scroll up after clicking USA, it gives totals for each city.

Again, they sometimes are a little late like a day or so to catch up with the breaking state news, but they usually get them pretty close and fairly quickly for US.

Tracking coronavirus: Map, data and timeline

And whose arms are they talking about anyway? Mine are really short. :D I think I’ll aim for the six feet plan, but conversations are difficult for me at that distance, even with hearing aids. I guess I’ll stay home or just let the germs fall where they may and hope for the best. :)

Yeah 6 foot rule can’t work realistically when people HAVE to ride buses, Ubers, etc moo and work. Period.
The time may have to come when people have to stop working like what happened in Wuhan.

Any reports on transmission so far via public transportation coming out of any countries so far?

Tomorrow will be a legendary fall on Wall Street

Maybe that's what it will take to make America realize there is a serious healthcare problem in this country

As soon as this hits someone personally maybe they will take it more seriously. It’s gonna happen, moo.

Video about exponential growth. Easy to understand.

Nice, watching now thank you...

“We tend to multiply by ten every 16 days...”

Zzzz... done.

I’ve been jumping out of bed every day to come here and read...

I want to print out every page in here and staple like a book and highlight and read.

Pass the tater tots...goodnight.

Tomorrow numbers are likely going to suck moo.

Hello to all. This is beyond a horrible nightmare. Who thought this could happen in this day and age? And, to be spread from another country, we have enough problems in our own country. I just think at the first sign borders should have been closed, and who cares who doesn't like it. Why are all these people continuing to travel; if people would just stay home for a while we could get this under control. However, people have become so self indulgent that they don't want to be inconvenienced for one second.

I have relatives coming from up north to visit this week (I live in Florida), and I am scared to death. I have suggested that they think it over, but they are of the mindset that, what are you going to do, hibernate? Well, if that what it takes for a few weeks, my answer is yes. But can I tell them this; I fear it would cause very bad feelings between me and my brother, so it is a dilemma for me. Thanks, Katt

PS - Thank you everyone for all the great research and comments. I come here to read first because I get summary of what has been officially said and also well thought out comments. I haven't "liked" too many posts, because they are all awesome. But, a big THANKS to everyone and especially Tricia, who sponsors these forums and allows us to share our opinions. Thanks, again. MOO. Katt

Making important note:

What percentage of kits are coming back positive vs. negative in each state?
This is important in a variety of aspects.

ETA: @Hatfield haven’t seen ya. Look forward to hearing some of your latest thoughts
I do believe the state health departments are very much on top of testing and there is no reason to report if tests are negative. The only positive tests so far in Nebraska are to a woman in Omaha who traveled to the UK and her family members who are in quarantine. Multiple schools are closing because of exposure concerns with the woman last week.

Lisa Vail, vice president and chief nursing officer at Bryan Health, said the hospital has evaluated its stockpile of supplies so the organization can isolate any patients that show up at its doors needing to be tested for COVID-19.

Bryan Health staff have already tested several patients for the virus. Each of those tests has come back negative, hospital officials said.

Epidemiologist Larry Kresbach, Bryan Health's infection control coordinator, said if staff detect a patient has symptoms of the coronavirus, they are required to immediately don masks and isolate the patient and then contact the health department to seek guidance on whether or not to test the patient.

Ward said CHI Health also consults the local health department before administering any tests — a requirement by the state Department of Health and Human Services — and will not initiate any testing unilaterally.

Lopez said the policy is to ensure "we're getting the right people tested," but as more test kits become available, hospitals will be asked to simply notify the health department.

Hospitals pre-screening patients to prevent spread of coronavirus

I must admit, I haven't read every page. Does anyone know for certain if people are able to get it more than once, or do you have an immunity after you have it one time? Thank you very much to anyone who knows the official answer. MOO. Katt

I must admit, I haven't read every page. Does anyone know for certain if people are able to get it more than once, or do you have an immunity after you have it one time? Thank you very much to anyone who knows the official answer. MOO. Katt

Some people have tested negative, then positive, positive for a period of time, negative, and then positive again. I have no idea whether the tests are faulty - as it seems that two negative tests are necessary before people are deemed recovered - or whether people are recovering and then getting sick again.

Hello Katt, just waking up here in the UK.

I'm no expert, but what I have read is that altho the experts say it is likely you would build up some immunity, it is too early to say. Because there hasnt been time yet to watch how this thing plays out.

So I am being optimistic and hoping that once you've had it, you may be immune.

I do believe the state health departments are very much on top of testing and there is no reason to report if tests are negative. The only positive tests so far in Nebraska are to a woman in Omaha who traveled to the UK and her family members who are in quarantine. Multiple schools are closing because of exposure concerns with the woman last week.

Lisa Vail, vice president and chief nursing officer at Bryan Health, said the hospital has evaluated its stockpile of supplies so the organization can isolate any patients that show up at its doors needing to be tested for COVID-19.

Bryan Health staff have already tested several patients for the virus. Each of those tests has come back negative, hospital officials said.

Epidemiologist Larry Kresbach, Bryan Health's infection control coordinator, said if staff detect a patient has symptoms of the coronavirus, they are required to immediately don masks and isolate the patient and then contact the health department to seek guidance on whether or not to test the patient.

Ward said CHI Health also consults the local health department before administering any tests — a requirement by the state Department of Health and Human Services — and will not initiate any testing unilaterally.

Lopez said the policy is to ensure "we're getting the right people tested," but as more test kits become available, hospitals will be asked to simply notify the health department.

Hospitals pre-screening patients to prevent spread of coronavirus

That sounds good in theory, except the Chinese have said that the virus particles can pass through masks, so sick people need to wear them to reduce the spread. Healthy people wearing masks does not necessarily prevent transmission of the virus. The virus can enter the body through eyes, nose and mouth.

If people are not wearing protective gear when they first meet with infected people, and if they touch the same desktop surface as infected people, I think the virus can be transmitted. 2-5 days later the first symptoms usually appear.

It seems like no one has asked the Chinese to break it down to really clear steps to contain the problem. Instead, everyone seems to be moving forward as though they did not have 3-4 months to learn how to deal with the virus.

"The new coronavirus causes little more than a cough if it stays in the nose and throat, which it does for the majority of people unlucky enough to be infected. Danger starts when it reaches the lungs.

One in seven patients develops difficulty breathing and other severe complications, while 6% become critical. These patients typically suffer failure of the respiratory and other vital systems, and sometimes develop septic shock, according to a report by last month’s joint World Health Organization-China mission."​

Coronavirus symptoms: The progression from moderate to severe can occur 'very, very quickly'

That sounds good in theory, except the Chinese have said that the virus particles can pass through masks, so sick people need to wear them to reduce the spread. Healthy people wearing masks does not necessarily prevent transmission of the virus. The virus can enter the body through eyes, nose and mouth.

If people are not wearing protective gear when they first meet with infected people, and if they touch the same desktop surface as infected people, I think the virus can be transmitted. 2-5 days later the first symptoms usually appear.

It seems like no one has asked the Chinese to break it down to really clear steps to contain the problem. Instead, everyone seems to be moving forward as though they did not have 3-4 months to learn how to deal with the virus.

It's not in theory, it is in reality. I think U.S. medical authorities don't need help from the Chinese. Especially in Omaha which cared for Ebola patients. Not one died. So far, the sickest patient with Coronavirus picked it up in the UK and exposed a lot of people before she went to multiple E.Rs in Nebraska where she exposed multiple medical personnel who are all in quarantine.

She also has other health conditions but those conditions have not been disclosed. She attended a sporting event on February 29 in Fremont Nebraska which involved multiple schools and over 1000 people. Only positives so far, other than herself, are her two family members and they are self-quarantining as are schools which attended the event. ARDS is a condition which kills sick people in hospitals across the globe. It killed my dad in 1994 after a car accident.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members