Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Virus Doctor Says High Blood Pressure Is Major Death Risk

Patients with hypertension appear to be at a higher risk of dying from the coronavirus, said a top Chinese intensive care doctor who’s been treating critically ill patients since mid-January.

While there’s been no published research yet explaining why, Chinese doctors working in Wuhan have noticed that infected patients with that underlying illness are more likely to slip into severe distress and die.

Good for them!

Amazon changes warehouse worker policy for March

Amazon has told its warehouse employees that they can take sick days in March without counting toward their unpaid time off.

The change comes as labor experts have warned that hourly workers and those without sick leave could be at higher risk of both catching the coronavirus and suffering severe financial repercussions as a result.

Coronavirus updates live: World markets tumble as anxiety grows in D.C.

‘We’re going to have more deaths.’ Coronavirus vs. the flu. Influenza kills more people so everyone is overreacting, right? Wrong — here’s why

Dr. Ben Carson, cabinet secretary and a former neurosurgeon said, “This virus is like other viruses. It should be treated the same way,” he said. “We have flu seasons that come up frequently.”

President Trump echoed those sentiments on Twitter on Monday: “Nothing is shut down, life & the economy go on.”

“It’s a little simple to think the novel coronavirus is just like flu,” said Amesh Adalja, senior scholar at the John Hopkins Center for Health Security and a spokesman for the Infectious Diseases Society of America. “We don’t want another flu. This is additive, not in place of. Yes, the flu kills thousands of people every year, but we’re going to have more deaths.”

There are some 1 billion cases of influenza worldwide; up to 45 million cases in the U.S. per year, tens of thousands of deaths in the U.S., and 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide. Seasonal flu has a fatality rate of less than 1%; Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said that figure is closer to 0.1%.

Influenza and COVID-19 come from a different family of viruses. COVID-19, also called severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 or SARS-CoV-2 is brand new. Influenza has been around for more than 2,000 years. Scientists say the “novel influenza A viruses” in humans lead to a pandemic, approximately once every 40 years. But, again, flu vaccines exist.

Really? Wow!! I LOVE science! This is why our government needs to be advocating and funding. ASAP.

Agreed, We do need to install a system where we can make sure students are receiving the best unbiased text books. Get the corruption out of the textbook industry. My high school experience was a complete waste of time and I learned more doing outside reading. I remember my history class covering the Vietnam War. The textbook by Pearson dedicated less than 10 pages to the whole war. This is why we have huge illiteracy rates in the US.
Almost 80% of the textbook industry is dominated by 5 publishing companies = major bias and a promotion of whatever history keeps the US looks sanitized.

However, in relation to virus' and keeping on topic, education and knowledge correlates to cleanliness, proper sanitation methods, etc etc

Agreed, We do need to install a system where we can make sure students are receiving the best unbiased text books. Get the corruption out of the textbook industry. My high school experience was a complete waste of time and I learned more doing outside reading. I remember my history class covering the Vietnam War. The textbook by Pearson dedicated less than 10 pages to the whole war. This is why we have huge illiteracy rates in the US.
Almost 80% of the textbook industry is dominated by 5 publishing companies = major bias and a promotion of whatever history keeps the US looks sanitized.

However, in relation to virus' and keeping on topic, education and knowledge correlates to cleanliness, proper sanitation methods, etc etc

Please take some time to explore Open Education Resources for peer reviewed academic textbooks, and teaching and learning materials/resources.

I use bee pollen as well. (Not harmful to our friends, the bees)

What are the benefits of bee pollen?
What are the benefits of bee pollen?
  • relieve inflammation.
  • work as an antioxidant.
  • boost liver health.
  • strengthen the immune system.
  • work as a dietary supplement.
  • ease symptoms of menopause.
  • reduce stress.
  • speed up healing.

8 Benefits of Bee Pollen: Nutrition Facts and More - Healthline
Indeed!

National Geographic recent issue........
Bumblebees are going extinct in a time of ‘climate chaos’
Loss of the vital pollinators, due in part to temperature extremes and fluctuations, could have dire consequences for ecosystems and agriculture.

I have become really annoyed with those who have claimed "it is fine, we now have created robot bees/tiny drones turned into pollinators" Okay, well good in one sense, if we come to that point of emergency we can use the robots. We shouldn't allow it to reach that point. And also, seriously, we are under constant surveillance all the time, I don't need robot bee drones violating more of my privacy.

Rise Of The Robot Bees: Tiny Drones Turned Into Artificial Pollinators

Please take some time to explore Open Education Resources for peer reviewed academic textbooks, and teaching and learning materials/resources.

Will do.
I am a huge proponent of the use of peer reviewed scholarly journal articles in the use of schools, especially in middle school and throughout high school in prepartion for college where one is required to be able to back up your sources and provide credible evidence often by scholarly journals.

Coronavirus Update: Number Of Cases Continues To Climb Across Tri-State; New Jersey's 1st Patient Speaks Out

“People have to take coronavirus seriously. It’s very serious,” said James Cai, New Jersey’s first coronavirus case.

Cai works and lives in both Manhattan and Fort Lee. He went to an urgent care clinic and then the emergency room at Hackensack University Medical Center, where he’s been hospitalized since Tuesday.

The 32-year-old physician’s assistant, a non-smoker with no underlying health conditions, believes he contracted it while attending a medical conference in Times Square last weekend, saying the coronavirus spread quickly to both his lungs.

“The virus is everything. Dirarrhea, watery eyes, shortness of breath, chest pain, you name it. High fever,” he said. “Every day is getting worse.”

“It happened so quick,” he said.

Cai said he has hope because his doctors are communicating with doctors in China on a daily basis to talk about his treatment.

That would be AWESOME

University of Tennessee scientists use supercomputer, may have found coronavirus cure
''Two researchers the University of Tennessee in Knoxville have discovered a chemical compound that, if it passes more testing, could be the cure to stop coronavirus and prevent it from spreading.

According to WATE-TV in Knoxville, Tennessee, the two researchers have been working on the possible cure by using the "world's most powerful computer" through a partnership between the University of Tennessee and the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL).

The computer, known as 'Summit', works as fast as 100,000 laptops at the same time.

“It’s capable of doing calculations very, very, quickly. The response to the new coronavirus needs to be quick,” said Jeremy Smith, Director of the Center for Molecular Biophysics.''

Just :(Oh my ****
How many people did he meet with this week.

I've just realized that my idea of keeping a log of who I've interacted with each day -- my own personal "contact tracing" if you will -- is good for more than protecting others if I end up sick -- it's also a good way for me to have documentation of who I had contact with in case THEY end up sick.

I know that sounds obvious but it hadn't occurred to me until just now.

So if, for example, the lady who I see at the yarn store every few weeks, and who travels to conferences and events related to her work, ends up sick, I will know exactly which days I was in the same room as her and whether that was before or after her travel, etc.

I've been making a daily note of my contacts for about a week now. I'm not in an area of known CV cases (yet) but it's only a matter of time. I decided it would be best to establish the habit now. It takes a whopping ten seconds or so each day.

Billionaires lose billions in coronavirus-fueled Wall Street sell-off

Amazon chief Jeff Bezos lost $7 billion in paper wealth overnight, and more than $18 billion over the past month.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk, who tweeted that the “coronavirus panic is dumb,” has seen about $4 billion of his paper wealth lopped off overnight. That would bring his losses for the month down to more than $12 billion.

Perhaps the biggest billionaire loser from the virus, however, is LVMH chief Bernard Arnault. His losses bump him back down to the second richest man, behind Bill Gates.

Coronavirus live updates: Third cruise ship kept at sea, wealthy losing billions

Cyprus announces first two coronavirus cases, including health professional

Cyprus reported its first two confirmed cases of coronavirus, including a public health professional who had contact with medical patients before he reported his symptoms to authorities.

Both patients — males — had traveled from abroad. The first case involved a 25-year-old man who had returned from northern Italy and the second, the health professional, a 64-year-old who returned from Britain on March 3.

Health Minister Constantinos Ioannou said it was “regrettable” that the second patient, who developed symptoms on March 3, only reported to authorities on Sunday.

Coronavirus live updates: Third cruise ship kept at sea, wealthy losing billions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa