Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #17

Status
Not open for further replies.
CDC: Americans over 60 should stock up on food and medications and avoid venturing out as the coronavirus spreads
  • ''In a media briefing on Monday about the novel coronavirus, Dr. Nancy Messonnier focused on making recommendations for people at a higher risk of getting ill from the virus.
  • She also said that eventually "many people in the United States" will be exposed to the virus and that "there's a good chance many will become sick."
  • For now, she said, people over 60 should stock up on food, medication, and other necessities so they can avoid needing to venture out too much.
  • Caretakers and family members should help older people prepare, and develop a plan for what they'll do if either they or the people they're caring for get sick.
  • While people over 60 are at a greater risk of becoming ill than younger folks, it's important for people to understand that risk increases with age, making people in their 80s and 90s at the highest risk, especially if they have chronic health conditions too.''
And just how long are we supposed to be avoid going out? How do you cope with the depression that will result with being unable to physically get out of the house, or just being able to smile at a person? Talking on the phone or skyping is only going to reinforce that outside of that 10 minute interaction with people, you are left alone for the rest of the day, week, month? Really, outside of warning people, this is not helpful to seniors.

MOO

The coronavirus that causes Covid-19 can linger in the air for at least 30 minutes and travel up to 4.5 metres – further than the “safe distance” advised by health authorities around the world, according to a study by a team of Chinese government epidemiologists.

The researchers also found that it can last for days on a surface where respiratory droplets land, raising the risk of transmission if unsuspecting people touch it and then rub their face.

The length of time it lasts on the surface depends on factors such as temperature and the type of surface, for example at around 37C (98F), it can survive for two to three days on glass, fabric, metal, plastic or paper.

Coronavirus can travel twice as far as official ‘safe distance’, study says

Source South China Morning Post

And just how long are we supposed to be avoid going out? How do you cope with the depression that will result with being unable to physically get out of the house, or just being able to smile at a person? Talking on the phone or skyping is only going to reinforce that outside of that 10 minute interaction with people, you are left alone for the rest of the day, week, month? Really, outside of warning people, this is not helpful to seniors.

MOO
Not fun, but as a senior would rather ride this out than be sick or dead

I was on my iPad when I first wrote about the new Louisiana patient. I am on my computer now. The link for information is www.wdsu.com
Can I share that I grew up in Jefferson Parish and went to school and worked in Orleans Parish. I pray that all are okay.

The named medications were Losartan (ARBs) and Lisinopril (ACE) so two different classes of medications. Valsartan (Diovan) is an ARBs but was not specifically mentioned. I would recommend anyone useing ACE or ARBs to contact their Dr to see if there is a risk but please do not stop taking them without talking to your Dr. This will most definitely cause you to be putting your health at risk.

Thanks! As I mentioned earlier, I don’t plan to switch from Losartan unless I get COVID-19. At that point I’d ask to switch, since the risk is when you have it, not before. But that’s just me.

The coronavirus that causes Covid-19 can linger in the air for at least 30 minutes and travel up to 4.5 metres – further than the “safe distance” advised by health authorities around the world, according to a study by a team of Chinese government epidemiologists.

The researchers also found that it can last for days on a surface where respiratory droplets land, raising the risk of transmission if unsuspecting people touch it and then rub their face.

The length of time it lasts on the surface depends on factors such as temperature and the type of surface, for example at around 37C (98F), it can survive for two to three days on glass, fabric, metal, plastic or paper.

Coronavirus can travel twice as far as official ‘safe distance’, study says

Source South China Morning Post
Wow. It seems this virus really is a virulent monster!

Collins spent part of Friday with President Trump at the CDC in Atlanta
Kevin Liptak on Twitter

spokesperson for Rep. Collins said they notified the White House after Collins shook hands with the president at Dobbins ARB Friday. They also contacted Gov. Kemp’s Office. We’ve heard of no health issues with the president or governor. Richard Elliot on Twitter
Richard Elliot on Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members