Identified! AZ - Pinal County - Blk Fem 20-25 UP11058 found in desert, head missing June 83 - Peggy Elgo

Moonwalker9

Reaction score
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Case Numbers
NCMEC Number--
ME/C Case NumberML83-0508
Demographics
SexFemale
Race / EthnicityBlack / African American
Possible First Name--
Possible Middle Name--
Possible Last Name--
Possible Nickname--
Estimated Age GroupAdult - Pre 30
Estimated Age Range (Years)20-25
Estimated Year of Death1982-1983
Estimated PMIMonths
Height5' 2"(62 inches) , Estimated
WeightCannot Estimate
Circumstances
TypeUnidentified Deceased
Date FoundJune 7, 1983
NamUs Case CreatedMarch 7, 2013
ME/C QA Reviewed--
Location Found Map
Street Addressdesert wash N of Cactus Forest Rd SW of State Route 89Arizona
CountyPinal County
GPS Coordinates--
Circumstances of RecoveryDecomposed body found in desert wash
Details of Recovery

Inventory of RemainsHead not recovered
Condition of RemainsNot recognizable - Decomposing/putrefaction
Physical Description
Hair ColorBlack
Head Hair Descriptionfragments only
Body Hair Descriptionfragments only
Facial Hair Description--
Left Eye ColorUnknown or Missing
Right Eye ColorUnknown or Missing
Eye Description--
Distinctive Physical Features
No Information Entered

Clothing and Accessories
Item
Description
Footwear
Ankle-length suede-type jogging shoes, brown in color; white athletic socks with yellow and red trim
On the Body

A couple of possabilities

Laronda Bronson, Oregon, However she's 5'6

Rosie Pilcher, Oregon

Linda Hunter, Maryland

Deretha Johnson, California

JoAnn Vanessa Mason, missing in April 83 from Michigan, doubt its her but date is right.

Identified after 37 years by DNA match in CODIS as Peggy Elgo
===

Newsroom_Peggy_Son.jpg

Peggy was a member of the San Carlos Apache Tribe and was last seen in 1983 when she was twenty years old. She left behind her infant son and was never seen again. Investigators searched and found no trace of her after 1983. Believing that Ahwatukee Jane Doe may be Peggy Elgo, investigators collected DNA from family members to compare.

Case closed, right? Wrong. The DNA did not match. Phoenix investigators did not stop there. They uploaded the family samples into CODIS, the national DNA database. In 2019, they received a notification of a possible DNA association to another unidentified body case. This Jane Doe was located on June 7, 1983 in a remote desert area in Pinal County. Additional testing was performed, and investigators were able to positively identify the Pinal County Jane Doe as Peggy Elgo.

After 37 years, the family of Peggy Elgo has answers.

Despite Identifying Missing Woman, Mystery Remains

They completely flubbed her ethnicity huh.
The solution of this case was practically a byproduct of the Phoenix Jane Doe case.
Parabon NanoLabs is involved with the Phoenix Jane Doe case. She is also likely from the same tribe as Peggy.
Phoenix police have also utilized the help of the DNA Doe Project for two other Jane Does from Phoenix.
I hope they identify the other woman as well, they seem eager to utilize this technology and clear old cases.

Oh wow..amazing they did not give up.. and sad they got her ethnicity wrong:( I am sure that did not help. Things like this make me wonder how many other are wrong out there. Glad they never gave up. RIP Peggy .

Oh wow..amazing they did not give up.. and sad they got her ethnicity wrong:( I am sure that did not help. Things like this make me wonder how many other are wrong out there. Glad they never gave up. RIP Peggy .
Plainview Jane Doe! She is an active case with the DNA Doe Project.
They ascertained that she was most likely black, not white. Still listed as white on NamUs though.
Also, a skull was incorrectly attributed to this woman, so you practically have two Jane Does from the same area.

Plainview Jane Doe! She is an active case with the DNA Doe Project.
They ascertained that she was most likely black, not white. Still listed as white on NamUs though.
Also, a skull was incorrectly attributed to this woman, so you practically have two Jane Does from the same area.

Oh wow wait? So they found just a skull somewhere else and it did not match her?

I don't think baby doe's stats would help much anyways. The mother is quite likely the only one who knew about the baby. Even things like hair and eye colour that might help identify parents might be misleading. I was born blonde but my parents both have brown hair, and my hair darkened too as I got older and now it's dark brown (my mum's did the same thing.) A lot of newborns have blue eyes that darken to their real colour in a few weeks.

Same area, perhaps the place served as a dumping ground for murder victims.

Was this the skull wrongly attributed? If not I wonder if it’s linked. PMI may put it in same timeframe AZ - AZ - Pima Co., Partial Skull UP10220, 10-17, near Mt Lemmon, Aug'92

Rest peacefully now Peggy! }!{

Forgive me I’m a little confused. UP11085, as we now know is Peggy, who was found headless in Arizona has been identified. Correct? Not Plainview Jane Doe. But there still may be a chance that the head buried with the PJD could be Peggy’s, or no?

Frustrating, I know the Plainview case has been a mixed up one from the beginning thanks in large part to...well, certain people. I just want to make sure I’m understanding this. The remains found in Pinal County Arizona are the only confirmed match to Peggy as of this date?

Rest peacefully now Peggy! }!{

Forgive me I’m a little confused. UP11085, as we now know is Peggy, who was found headless in Arizona has been identified. Correct? Not Plainview Jane Doe. But there still may be a chance that the head buried with the PJD could be Peggy’s, or no?

Frustrating, I know the Plainview case has been a mixed up one from the beginning thanks in large part to...well, certain people. I just want to make sure I’m understanding this. The remains found in Pinal County Arizona are the only confirmed match to Peggy as of this date?
The cases are completely unrelated.
I just pointed out one example where the medical examiners incorrectly determined someone's ethnicity.
Peggy was incorrectly listed as a black woman. PJD was incorrectly listed as a white woman.

The cases are completely unrelated.
I just pointed out one example where the medical examiners incorrectly determined someone's ethnicity.
Peggy was incorrectly listed as a black woman. PJD was incorrectly listed as a white woman.
Gotcha! Thank you! Sorry for confusing things! :)

Mods need to move the thread and change the title.

Small tip - mods do not read every post or every thread hence they need to be alerted. People can click on word Report (under any post) and in that message ask mod to perform certain action.

I have alerted mods yesterday already about this thread, sometimes it takes them longer though to complete all the alerts in whole forum. In few days if it is not done, send them another alert.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back