Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Pandemic* #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ohioans await DeWine's next coronavirus containment orders
Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine says state officials will issue new orders this afternoon to contain the spread of coronavirus.

“People will say, ‘Oh, my God,’” DeWine said of the pending orders, on which he declined to offer details on Wednesday morning. He said the moves would be announced at a 2 p.m. news conference.

Doc T just said “alarming”...”alarming” and that “Covid-19 can now be characterized as a Pandemic”.

“P word”! He said the “P” word.

Dang.

“”Pandemic” is not a word to use lightly or carelessly...”

ETA:

I already know exactly what he’s going to say, that it’s basically just a word and doesn’t change anything as to the approach they’ve been taking from the beginning. Everyone who has watched all of his Press Conferences already understands this because he’s already explained it many times.

I anticipate a regurgitation of explaining P lingo now.

I’m not past the “P” sentence yet (last word “carefully”), so pausing to reflect.

(ground hog day over here)

Last edited:
Did I just hear that correctly? World Health Organization just declared it a pandemic pandemic. I I'm driving and I can't reverse it while I am driving to listen to it again.

Yes.

Covid-19 is a pandemic

The daily World Health Organization briefing has just begun.

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the WHO director-general, says there are now more than 118,000 cases in 114 countries, and 4,291 people have lost their lives.

He says it has reached the stage where it can be described as a pandemic.

Coronavirus live updates: WHO says Covid-19 is pandemic

Just wanted to squeeze in here quickly to say you folks are Phenomenal! The information and updates posted since the beginning have been absolutely invaluable. I’m always pages behind but I wanted to send you all a heartfelt thank you!
Kindest regards :):)
I feel like I'm always behind when I sign in too. Sometimes I just have to jump ahead to the current page. ;)

Claim: ‘It is no more dangerous than winter flu’
Many individuals who get coronavirus will experience nothing worse than seasonal flu symptoms, but the overall profile of the disease, including its mortality rate, looks more serious. At the start of an outbreak the apparent mortality rate can be an overestimate if a lot of mild cases are being missed. But this week, a WHO expert suggested that this has not been the case with Covid-19. Bruce Aylward, who led an international mission to China to learn about the virus and the country’s response, said the evidence did not suggest that we were only seeing the tip of the iceberg. If borne out by further testing, this could mean that current estimates of a roughly 1% fatality rate are accurate. This would make Covid-19 about 10 times more deadly than seasonal flu, which is estimated to kill between 290,000 and 650,000 people a year globally. Can a face mask stop coronavirus? Covid-19 facts checked
Possibly more contagious. Definitely less virulent in the general population - especially young people. jmo

Doc T just said “alarming”...”alarming” and that Covid-19 can now be characterized as a Pandemic!

“P” word!!!!!! He said the “P” word.

Dang.
did he say can be characterized or he was claiming it to be? I guess they aren't claiming anything because they did before is too it was an international concern, so I guess that's as good as they get?

Thanks for sharing that. Ive seen mostly good reports about it but like yours I also have seen some reports that claim it did not help much.

My understanding is it mainly helps if given within the first few days of catching the Flu, so maybe that has a lot to do with how people perceive its effectiveness. Because by the time people get a real positive diagnosis of Flu through a proper nasal swab testing at doctors office or clinic, it usually is past those initial days.

Lets hope any therapy medicines they develop for this Coronavirus does a good job of helping symptoms.

Tamiflu definitely helped me when I had the flu two years ago. It made me start to feel better in a couple of days and probably helped prevent pneumonia.

I went to urgent care a day after I became quite ill and was given Tamiflu even when a nasal swab did not confirm I had the flu. But the doctor said I won the prize for the highest temp that day (it was over 102). :D

I certainly agree with your last sentence!

He also added:

Pandemic 'is not a word to use lightly'

The WHO director-general said:

Pandemic is not a word to use lightly or carelessly. It is a word that, if misused, can cause unreasonable fear, or unjustified acceptance that the fight is over, leading to unnecessary suffering and death.

Describing the situation as a pandemic does not change WHO’s assessment of the threat posed by this coronavirus. It doesn’t change what WHO is doing, and it doesn’t change what countries should do.

"We have therefore made the assessment that #COVID19 can be characterized as a pandemic"-@DrTedros #coronavirus

Coronavirus live updates: WHO says Covid-19 is pandemic

Claim: ‘It is no more dangerous than winter flu’
Many individuals who get coronavirus will experience nothing worse than seasonal flu symptoms, but the overall profile of the disease, including its mortality rate, looks more serious. At the start of an outbreak the apparent mortality rate can be an overestimate if a lot of mild cases are being missed. But this week, a WHO expert suggested that this has not been the case with Covid-19. Bruce Aylward, who led an international mission to China to learn about the virus and the country’s response, said the evidence did not suggest that we were only seeing the tip of the iceberg. If borne out by further testing, this could mean that current estimates of a roughly 1% fatality rate are accurate. This would make Covid-19 about 10 times more deadly than seasonal flu, which is estimated to kill between 290,000 and 650,000 people a year globally. Can a face mask stop coronavirus? Covid-19 facts checked

Yes, coronavirus is more deadly than the flu. Article from March 4:

The flu and the new coronavirus have similar symptoms, but the coronavirus is far deadlier — here's how the 2 compare

The most crucial difference between the flu and the coronavirus is that the latter has been far deadlier. Whereas about 0.1% of people who get the flu die, the coronavirus' death rate is now at about 3.4%, based on the current numbers of cases and deaths.

5e5fc740fee23d14eb3dd212

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members