GUILTY Australia - Aiia Masarwe, 21, Israeli exchange student, murdered, Melbourne, Jan 2019 *ARREST*

Prosecutors to appeal Codey Herrmaann's 'inadequate' 36-year sentence

'Justice Hollingworth said there were similarities in the cases of Herrmann and Jaymes Todd, who raped and murdered aspiring comedian Eurydice Dixon as she walked home through Princes Park in 2018.

Both killers had no prior criminal history.

Todd was jailed for life, to serve at least 35 years, after Justice Stephen Kaye was told the killer's sexual sadism disorder could not be treated, which limited his chances for reform. Todd is appealing his sentence.'

These are possibly the grounds upon which the DPP is appealing the sentence, in the intent to have Herrmanns sentence lined up with Todd, in sofar as the diagnosis for each young man appears to be the same. Incurable. Both sexual sadists, both uninterested or/and incapable of insight, neither remorseful, both tried to lie their way out of it, neither know why they did it, both are very young, neither are candidates for any kind of treatment now, or in the future...

I hope that a hearing is granted, and that the grounds for the appeal are successful. Cody would actually be happy, he said he loves prison, doesn't have to worry about making his own meals and all that faff....

(sarcasm)

Just to re-iterate, ( and these are Herrmann's own words, even I couldn't make this kind of stuff up )…

Quote from Herrmann...

."He said, ‘Most of the other men in the unit talk about all the things they’ve given up or had to give up since they’ve been incarcerated. I can only think in terms of all the things I’ve gained. I’ve gained a safe place to sleep, I get fed three times a day, I have a shower. I’ve also gained a sense of hope that maybe one day if I behave myself in custody I might get to go to a prison that has good programs’.”

'I can only think of the things I've gained!.. people.. the breathtaking absence of any skerrick of remorse or insight into his repulsive , idiotic, vicious vile banal crime. .. absolutely no idea at all, and never , ever likely to have an idea about it.

Life.. No parole. Ever.

Prosecutors will push for more jail time for the man who raped and murdered international student Aiia Maasarwe near a Melbourne tram stop.
Codey Herrmann was jailed in October for 36 years, after admitting to knocking the 21-year-old out with a metal pole, raping and setting her on fire at Bundoora in January.
But the Director of Public Prosecutions Kerri Judd QC on Tuesday said she had lodged an appeal against the "manifestly inadequate" sentence

Herrmann's Vic jail sentence appealed - 9News

Prosecutors wanted Herrmann jailed for life but the judge took into account his profoundly traumatic childhood which had caused him to become a "seriously damaged young man".
The Director of Public Prosecutions said Justice Elizabeth Hollingworth had erred finding Herrmann's severe personality disorder had reduced his moral culpability for the crime.

And, hopefully, that will be the pattern of their days. Conflict, pain, loss and rinse, repeat. Both are cowards to the bone, so their lives will be spent trying to attack from the back, like they did to their victims.

And no doubt, there will , every year, be a younger contender thrown in the pit with them, younger, fitter, angrier, more murderous....

36 years,, and then some ….

Because there was mention of Todd here on this thread, insofar as both he and Codey had the same barrister, this is the result of Todd's appeal.

Eurydice Dixon killer's loses appeal bid

'Sadistic killer Jaymes Todd has lost his bid to appeal his life sentence for the "unspeakably loathsome and cruel" rape and murder of an aspiring Melbourne comedian.

The killer's lawyer unsuccessfully argued the man's punishment is excessive.

"A young woman should be able to walk home alone after a night out without any fear of being harmed, let alone subjected to a vile sexual attack and killed," Justices Anne Ferguson, David Beach and Phillip Priest wrote in their judgment.'

( his original sentence was for 35 years before parole would be considered, and by then, it will be highly unlikely to be granted, due to his institutionalization and irreparable genetics. IMO )

Decision due in savage Vic killer's appeal (msn.com)

'
Prosecutors appealed the 36-year jail term handed to Codey Herrmann for Ms Maasarwe's horrific rape and murder, arguing it was too lenient for his crimes.

Herrmann knocked the 21-year-old unconscious with a metal pole, sexually assaulted her and set fire to her.

The appeal judges are due to hand down their decision in the case on Friday afternoon.

( the Victorian DPP is appealing his sentence, they want life, he got 30 years before being able to apply for parole, the Public Prosecutor wants no chance of parole ever, soooo.. decision today, apparently ) .

'
"This was a vicious, callous and intentional killing of an unsuspecting young woman who was the unfortunate and random victim of primitive male rage," Ms Judd told a bench of five Victorian Supreme Court Justices.

Justice Elizabeth Hollingworth's sentence put too much weight on Herrmann's traumatic and disadvantaged background and not enough on protection of the community, she argued." ( 'She ' being Kerry Judd QC Vic top prosecutor ) ..

Karen Sweeney
Victoria's Court of Appeal has dismissed the appeal by prosecutors who wanted a life sentence for Aiia Maasarwe's killer. His sentence of 36 years with a minimum of 30 years remains in place. Story on
@AAPNewswire

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/crime/decision-due-in-savage-vic-killers-appeal-c-3077088
He's a very lucky young man. Things may be harsher by the time he is up for petitioning for parole, there is no standard yes to a prisoner requesting it, he only has the right to ask for it after 30 years..

He may not even be able to comprehend parole by then, hopefully.

I feel for that wonderful father of Aiia,, and her heartbroken sister, who had the dreadful experience of being actually on the phone ,, back in Tel Aviv to Melbourne when he struck Aiia from behind..

Horrible crime, truly horrible.

Hats off to Kerry Judd, QC who gave it a red hot go, and she was certainly right to object to the sentence , on behalf of Victorians , which is one of the many aspects of being the Public Prosecutor... He/She has all the authority in the world to take a rationally based protest with substance to the High Court and in this case , most assuredly, in the light of the components of the crime.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back