IN - Four sisters, ages 5-11, die in Flora house fire, Nov 2016

Appears so, according to Google Street View.

So as I'd suspected, the kitchen was upstairs, the mother's BR was downstairs. Odd arrangement for an apartment.

One entrance/exit.

Very strange case, "no suspects".
I guess I was under the impression that the kitchen and mother's bedroom were downstairs, and the girls' bedroom was upstairs. She described how she woke up to smoke and tried to get up the stairs but couldn't. I don't know if it was official, but somewhere said the girls died of smoke inhalation, I think. I need to look for these articles.

Good coverage of the controversy around the fire. This is early on, prior to Ives retiring.

Questions swirl around unsolved Flora fatal fire investigation

DC has said in recent interviews that he does not believe the four girls were killed intentionally, and even early on, from the above article, he says something similar. JMO BBM

"I believe that somebody knows who was in that house that morning of November the 21st. And I hope they have the courage to talk about that experience and why, because we have lots of questions. That person may have had no idea of who was in there," said ISP Superintendent Doug Carter.

Last edited:
Again, an early source. This also confirms, IMO, that the girls likely died of smoke inhalation, as the fire maybe didn't even reach the top floor?

Former Jefferson City girl one of four sisters killed in Indiana house-fire

The Indiana State Fire Marshal said the cause of the fire is undetermined due to the amount of damage. The fire originated in the kitchen area, possibly behind the refrigerator. (Again, this is an early article, before the arson and stove statements)

The home where the fire started has two apartments, one upstairs and one downstairs. The fire was concentrated on the lower level and firefighters said the second floor apartments didn’t sustain any damage.

Again, an early source. This also confirms, IMO, that the girls likely died of smoke inhalation, as the fire maybe didn't even reach the top floor?

The Indiana State Fire Marshal said the cause of the fire is undetermined due to the amount of damage. The fire originated in the kitchen area, possibly behind the refrigerator. (Again, this is an early article, before the arson and stove statements)

The home where the fire started has two apartments, one upstairs and one downstairs. The fire was concentrated on the lower level and firefighters said the second floor apartments didn’t sustain any damage.

I recall seeing a diagram in an article, however it's probably been pulled since 2017 or so.

I thought the kitchen was on the 2nd floor, where maybe two bedrooms were located, but it may have been on the first floor.

The mother survived, what about the father?
I believe the girls had different fathers, none of which lived in Flora. GR's husband at the time had filed for divorce just over two weeks before the fire. There were other things involved with that divorce filing that occurred within those two weeks, but I'm not sure where he lived during that time. So as not to break rules here, I'm going to link MyCase for further information.

Indiana Supreme Court public access case search - MyCase

I recall seeing a diagram in an article, however it's probably been pulled since 2017 or so.

I thought the kitchen was on the 2nd floor, where maybe two bedrooms were located, but it may have been on the first floor.
That's interesting. I'm going to check further. I'd also like to know where the unlocked door was.

Here's the Beacon property plan for that house. I don't think it's helpful to know which floor the kitchen was on, but I'll link it for anyone interested.
Beacon - Carroll County, IN - Search

According to Beacon, there was only one kitchen sink. I know there was a second apartment, but not sure how that was situated or what was included. Did it not have a proper kitchen? IDK

Last edited:
Appears so, according to Google Street View.

So as I'd suspected, the kitchen was upstairs, the mother's BR was downstairs. Odd arrangement for an apartment.

One entrance/exit.

Very strange case, "no suspects".
This article indicates there were suspects at one time.

Investigators: 'Solid persons of interest' in Flora fatal fire 2 years later

"The Indiana State Fire Marshall's office ruled the fire was intentionally set. The announcement was followed by several officials involved in this on going investigation resigning. Now, Indiana State Police First Sergeant Jerry Holman says ISP is the lead investigative agency in this case.

"I think what the community wants to know is are we still actively pursuing the persons responsible for this, and yes we are," said Holman.

He said ISP has two detectives assigned to this investigation full time.

"Yes we do have solid persons of interest in this case," said Holman.

He also believes there are people withholding information.

"It's very frustrating for the family, it's very frustrating for the community of Flora and very frustrating for us," said Holman"

The case is a strange one. I just can't picture a random person in Flora, IN, getting into and apartment with 5 people in it, and torching it.

Key word here is "random". I don't think there's one random aspect of this case, vs. what happened in Delphi which I think is 100% random.

JMO

Indiana Court of Appeals agrees with county over release of 911 audio recording | Carroll County Comet
"The Carroll County E911 Dispatch Call Center was asked for a copy of the initial call made to the Center when the fatal fire in Flora was reported in November 2016. As previously reported, Fox 59 television station in Indianapolis made the request. Carroll County Commissioners, on advice of their attorney Ted Johnson, directed E911 Director Cassie Lane to provide..."
The rest of the article is behind a subscription wall. I hope something new comes to light. Do we know who made the 911 call?

Indiana Court of Appeals agrees with county over release of 911 audio recording | Carroll County Comet
"The Carroll County E911 Dispatch Call Center was asked for a copy of the initial call made to the Center when the fatal fire in Flora was reported in November 2016. As previously reported, Fox 59 television station in Indianapolis made the request. Carroll County Commissioners, on advice of their attorney Ted Johnson, directed E911 Director Cassie Lane to provide..."
The rest of the article is behind a subscription wall. I hope something new comes to light. Do we know who made the 911 call?

One year later: Remembering four sisters killed in Flora house fire

After neighbors called 911, she saw two officers, Flora officer Josh Disinger and Carroll County Deputy Drew Yoder, run into the house over and over again in failed attempts to try and save the girls. They couldn’t reach them.

One year later: Remembering four sisters killed in Flora house fire

After neighbors called 911, she saw two officers, Flora officer Josh Disinger and Carroll County Deputy Drew Yoder, run into the house over and over again in failed attempts to try and save the girls. They couldn’t reach them.

One of the officers got injured trying to save the girls, and the other one had to hold him because it was hopeless at that time.

Strange case. Poor mom, she lost all four daughters.

I know how difficult it is sometimes even to answer, whether it was arson, or not.

This article is now available without subscription.

So where was the refrigerator that caused the fire? Upstairs in the kitchen?

So where was the refrigerator that caused the fire? Upstairs in the kitchen?

Ok so it is maybe going to be appealed within 45 days.

"The court of appeals clearly adopted my opinion that E911 was not a law enforcement agency,” PAC Britt stated when contacted about the comments made during the Commissioners’ meeting. “It is also the first time I’ve heard anyone EVER refer to this incident as a murder (as stated by the prosecutor in the Comet video of the meeting). When it was on my desk in 2017, a criminal investigation was never even mentioned by the parties.”

“Moreover, the Prosecutor has not stated that the 911 calls were compiled for prosecutorial or investigatory purposes,” Britt added.

Britt said it is likely Fox 59 will file with the Indiana Supreme Court to overturn the Appellate Court’s decision."

First of all, an arson where people die is a murder isn't it?

This was considered to be an arson wasn't it? Or is is now considered an accident due to faulty equipment? What is being hidden in this case?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back