GUILTY MO - Off-duty officer (Katlyn Alix) shot dead by on-duty officer (Nathaniel Hendren), Jan 2019 #2

KA's last shift was with NH. I don't think I'd seen this before the gag order.

St. Louis police logs offer insight into final days, hours before Officer Alix's death

The newly released documents show on Jan. 22, Officers Alix and Hendren were on patrol together during the 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. overnight shift.

They handled six routine calls between 12:30 a.m. and 4:36 a.m. All but two were in their assigned area of the city's second patrol district.

None of the calls resulted in a police report.

According to what was released to 5 On Your Side, this marked Officer Alix's final on-duty shift before her death.

Mother of Officer Katlyn Alix files wrongful death lawsuit

In a rare move, Judge Thomas Clark called Alix’s husband, Tony Meyers, and her mother, Aimee Wahlers, to his bench at the beginning of Hendren’s appearance, telling them that he could not alter the sentence that prosecutors and Hendren’s attorneys had agreed upon. Judges can reject plea agreements, but Clark said he accepted the agreement believing Alix’s family did not want to endure a trial.

“A lot of people will not like the length of the sentence, but he had accepted responsibility for what he has done and spared the victim’s family from the experience of a public trial,” Clark said. “It’s such a tragic, inexplicable act that most likely will never be understood and hopefully never replicated.”

There may not be a civil suit. There was a motion to dismiss and Judge has not ruled on this motion yet.
I doubt he will dismiss it. This officer had a complicated psychiatric history and should not have been hired as a police officer.
This is a really interesting, snarky, passive-aggressive quote. As if a trial would reveal terrible things about her?
Kinda what I was thinking. Any dirty laundry would be aired in a trial. Her family would not want that.

Guilty Plea: Involuntary Manslaughter + More
"Ex-St. Louis cop Nathaniel Hendren pleaded guilty today to involuntary manslaughter in the killing of a fellow police officer and was sentenced to seven years in prison..."

"Along with first degree manslaughter, Hendren pleaded guilty to a felony count of armed criminal action. He was sentenced to seven years on the manslaughter charge and three years for armed criminal action, but he'll be allowed to serve the sentences simultaneously for a total of seven years in state prison. The maximum sentences for the two charges could have included life in prison." bbm

Nathaniel Hendren Pleads Guilty in Killing of Fellow St. Louis Cop Katlyn Alix. Fri. Feb 28 riverfronttimes.com

I doubt he will dismiss it. This officer had a complicated psychiatric history and should not have been hired as a police officer.

Kinda what I was thinking. Any dirty laundry would be aired in a trial. Her family would not want that.
Great post, although what a jerk his lawyer is for implying she was some terrible person. Adultery, sure, but can't be much worse than his client, a guy who got involved with this married woman AND has a known history of using a gun to assault the women in his life.

Last edited:
^^sbm

The court previously issued a stay until NH trial concluded. Since NH accepted the guilty plea deal and sentenced, motion to lift the stay was also filed.

Since NH filed his answer to the WDLS on March 11 (denying psychiatric history), I expect we will soon hear whether or not one or more parties are dismissed from the civil suit.

Federal judge dismisses lawsuit against city of St. Louis in death of Officer Katlyn Alix

Apr 23, 2020

"ST. LOUIS (KMOV.com) -- A federal judge dismissed the civil lawsuit brought by the family of Police Officer Katlyn Alix against the city of St. Louis and the police officer who killed her in a Russian roulette-style game last year.

The case will now be tried in the St. Louis Circuit Court as a wrongful death suit with Nathaniel Hendren, his partner Patrick Riordan, and police Sergeant Gary Foster as the only defendants, according to Hendren’s attorney...."

Federal judge dismisses lawsuit against city of St. Louis in death of Officer Katlyn Alix
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Byers' Beat: Losses continue for families of officers who played fatal game of Russian-roulette

Byers' Beat: Losses continue for families of officers who played fatal game of Russian-roulette

April 24, 2020

And this week, Alix's mother, Aimee Wahlers, suffered another loss when a federal judge dismissed many of the charges she filed against Hendren in a civil lawsuit and sent the case back to the state court.

Her chances of victory in the state court don’t look good.

There, Wahlers must prove Hendren acted “in furtherance of the interest” of his employer. As part of his dismissal, U.S. Magistrate Stephen Clark determined Hendren was not acting in his “official capacity” as an officer at the time he killed Alix – so it doesn’t seem likely that a state court would conclude that his actions were furthering the city police department’s interest.

[..]

Should the state court also dismiss the city from liability in the case as I suspect it will, that leaves Wahlers, with very few options to seek restitution for her daughter’s death.

Hendren is now an indigent as he is serving a seven-year sentence in prison.

His partner that night, Officer Patrick Riordan and Sgt. Gary Foster are also named, but it’s not likely they have much to go after.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back