Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to focus now and then here on the positives. There are always positives. On Nextdoor people are reaching out saying that if anyone needs help or supplies or child care or remote tutoring they’re available for free. Just beautiful.
This morning I got the go-ahead to close our library for two weeks. My boss said that as soon as I got it officially done through the right channels we could go home. I convinced my co-worker to stay with me and keep our normal hours today while we called all of our regular patrons to let them know. Every single patron I called, except my favorite 90-year old, came in immediately to carry out stacks of new books. I carried books to my oldest patron’s house. In five hours, most of our regulars loaded up with about 4 weeks of books, I think (they suspect we will be closed longer).

If we are closed longer, I would like to carry books to our regular patrons. I think it could be done. I would call. They set their returned books out. I exchange them for new books. I Clorox wipe covers and put on the shelves. Does this seem safe? I do not want to bring any harm to my elderly patrons but I worry about them not having access to books, especially large print.

Hey Everyone,
Don't forget to join us For Websleuths Radio Podcast LIVE at 10:00 PM Eastern tonight for "WTF SATURDAY NIGHT WITH SCRAPPY JOE". WTF stands for "What the Flip".

Come and join our chat. We'll discuss the latest on the pandemic and help each other stay calm. We have a great community here on Websleuths and on the Websleuths YouTube Channel in our chat as well.

Also, we will talk about the latest true crime cases and a couple of real WTF stories from around the world.

CLICK HERE AND JOIN US AT 10:00 PM EASTERN LIVE TONIGHT

frontlines.png frontlines.pngfrontlines.pngfrontlines.pngfrontlines.pngfrontlines.png
Just saw this post from Bobbi Brown expressing gratitude for those on the front lines of this pandemic. Wanted to share the message here as I take a moment to pray for the hero's in this ongoing battle.

Bobbi Brown Makeup Artist on Instagram: “Let’s take a moment of gratitude for all the men and woman who are on the front line of this pandemic. Doctors, nurses, first responders,…”

justbobbibrown
Verified

Let’s take a moment of gratitude for all the men and woman who are on the front line of this pandemic. Doctors, nurses, first responders, cleaning staff etc. You are the hero’s. Thanks for posting @rulajebreal

Last edited:
New York Times Article about 2 women in China diagnosed with COVID19 - 1 Lived and 1 Died
Journal covering the journey and treatment of 2 Chinese women with COVID19

Two Women Fell Sick From the Coronavirus. One Survived.

Quotes from article:

The young medical professionals, who worked long hours on the front lines in Wuhan, first came down with fevers. Within weeks, both were in hospital beds, hooked up to IVs or oxygen machines.

The fates of Ms. Deng and Dr. Xia reflect the unpredictable nature of a virus that affects everyone differently, at times defying statistical averages and scientific research.

As the new year opened in China, the women were leading remarkably similar lives. Both were 29 years old. Both were married, each with a young child on whom she doted.

When a mysterious new virus struck the city, the women began working long hours, treating a seemingly endless flood of patients. They took precautions to protect themselves. But they succumbed to the infection, the highly contagious virus burrowing deep into their lungs, causing fever and pneumonia. In the hospital, each took a turn for the worse.

One recovered. One did not.

Two Women Fell Sick From the Coronavirus. One Survived.

This was very hard to read. Two incredibly gifted and dedicated medical professionals, one who gave her life fighting to save others.

This morning I got the go-ahead to close our library for two weeks. My boss said that as soon as I got it officially done through the right channels we could go home. I convinced my co-worker to stay with me and keep our normal hours today while we called all of our regular patrons to let them know. Every single patron I called, except my favorite 90-year old, came in immediately to carry out stacks of new books. I carried books to my oldest patron’s house. In five hours, most of our regulars loaded up with about 4 weeks of books, I think (they suspect we will be closed longer).

If we are closed longer, I would like to carry books to our regular patrons. I think it could be done. I would call. They set their returned books out. I exchange them for new books. I Clorox wipe covers and put on the shelves. Does this seem safe? I do not want to bring any harm to my elderly patrons but I worry about them not having access to books, especially large print.

I am not sure about the safety of it all, someone else can chime in there. But wow, what an amazing heartwarming thing to do! We stocked up on library books a week ago. Us WS folks knew......I told my mom as well ( she lives in a different city). She did not and is very sad. I am going to hook her up with a tablet and some downloaded books. I digress.....Thank you for being so sweet and kind to our fellow citizens. Take care of yourself, as well.

This was very hard to read. Two incredibly gifted and dedicated medical professionals, one who gave her life fighting to save others.

This really has me worried. My daughter is an RN in a hospital emergency room. She gets sick easily and I am so concerned for her. I know that many of us have loved ones who are on the medical front lines and we will not rest easy until this is over.

My son is supposed to graduate in May with his MBA and the last 2 weeks the phone interviews for a job have started coming in. He was in a graduate internship and his work on campus payed his rent, which he still has to pay thru June. His graduation ceremony will likely be cancelled, his job prospects just took a major nose dive with the expected economy crash but all of that is okay..because he will work hard to get back on track once things stabilize a bit. His college shutting down did not wipe out all his accomplishments. He is disappointed but he is healthy, he can come home until job prospects pick up again, he can stay in touch with friends and family through social media. Your daughter sounds like she has a strong work ethic, ambition and determination...everything she worked for is not gone, it has just been put in quarantine for a bit.
I know you’re right, and she has a better attitude about it than I do! So sorry for your son too, but it sounds like he is also a hard worker will be just fine when things calm down. It’s hard on so many levels for everyone right now. :(

erm, ehhhh, I can't even begin to keep up or catch up on this fast moving forum lol I am not sure if this is a good idea or even appropriate to bring up here so I apologize if it's not. I saw a couple posts that mentioned having a parent that will be subject to the UK quarantine of 4 months, I believe. I am wondering if there would be a way we could (basement?) have a thread/forum for posting messages, etc. to help them receive some sort of "socialization" during this time.

So lovely of you Jane. You have such a big heart. What might be a concern is how long virus can survive on books and can every crevice be cleaned virus free. I have read some data on virus on surfaces but I feel like right now there just isn't anything absolute. Keep yourself safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd