Coronavirus - COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #27

Status
Not open for further replies.
Animal Shelters Call For People To Foster Pets Amid Coronavirus Pandemic | HuffPost
[...]

Animal shelters in cities across the U.S. ― including New York City; Phoenix; St. Louis; Memphis, Tennessee; Norfolk, Virginia; and Austin, Texas ― have put out pleas for people to consider fostering.

Some shelters have already had to close to the public or cancel events, and many others may need to do so in the coming days ― meaning fewer pets are being adopted out, even as animals continue to come in. Shelters want to move as many animals as possible off the premises and into foster homes, in case they’re hit with staffing shortages as employees and volunteers get sick or need to self-quarantine.

[...]

“Having a pet around ... is good for your head,” he said. “It’s going to take you out of yourself a little bit. If you get a dog, it’s going force you to go outside. If you get a cat, it’s going to force you to spend some time cuddling.”

Best Friends has a searchable directory of partner shelters and rescue groups that may need fosters, or you can use Google to find an organization near you.

[...]

Can I ask where in NY are you? A drive-thru testing site is almost completed out in Jones Beach and another is being built on Staten Island. I hope that helps.

I'm in Virginia.

Testing sites are critical, however we are pass containment in NY.

NOW, immediately we need hospital beds, staff, physicians to care for the great number that will require emergent critical care in NY. This is a now situation.

China proved additional critical care beds were needed. THEY BUILT hospitals. Italy and WHO are begging countries to take swift, emergent action and drastic measures to contain COVID 19. We see it everyday in this very thread, posts from WHO, Italy, and China.

Just like the lack of testing kits has allowed COVID transmission, in spite of what our "officials" total us.
Now we are begging for additional medial resources to prevent deaths and sounds of silence from leaders.

MOO.. WE ALL... need to stand together as a nation. I would encourage each to call and email state and federal representatives to provide our needs.

We saw what happen in New Orleans after the hurricane. They begged for help, we saw the dead lying on road side, folks left to die in hospitals/nursing homes, lack of food, the list goes on.... This is where we are headed in the next few days/weeks.

Hospital workers will become sick, some will make a choice to stay home due to lack of protective equipment, chosing life for themselves and family over risk of death. They are in the middle of an ocean, in a great storm, with NO life preserver in sight.

This is where we are headed in the next few days/weeks. I'm not an alarmist, but a realist. When I see the video and pictures from China and Italy and hear the messages from WHO, I chose to believe these folks over any other spoke words.

WE are the GREATEST county in the World. We are NOT exempted no matter what we are being told.

This is not a political post. It is a CALL to Action while we still have time. COVID 19, doesn't care what political party we are, how much money we have or not, the color of our skin or our nationality. Convid 19 is non-discriminatory, it seeks a "host" to live and anyone of us could be the next home for COVID 19.

Make a difference today! Pick up the phone, write that email. We are some of the BEST writers, are extremely passionate, and most informed and prepared folks. Speak your mind, raise your voice to the folks that can and should help us. COVID is coming to our neighborhoods, we have members infected and that can't get tested, it's here in this very thread.

Moo.... and much passion for all human beings

Oh that's wonderful. I have some of that too. Adding melatonin to our daily regimen along with Airborne (mostly for the zinc), vitamin D and anti-malarial pills. We are taking these things all spread out over the day to reduce any small chance of interactions. Anyone have advice on when is best to take the melatonin? I'm thinking at night before bedtime? :cool:

In my experience with taking “airborne” one time.....
I think it took away the medication I take daily. That is imho.

Amazon Suspends Third-Party Fulfillment on Anything but Medical Supplies and Household Staples
Amazon will stop independent third-party sellers on its platform from selling anything but medical supplies and household staples in the United States and the European Union. Amazon made the announcement to sellers through an email sent Tuesday morning and mentioned that “other high-demand products” will also be allowed.

“We are seeing increased online shopping and as a result, some products such as household staples and medical supplies are out of stock,” an Amazon spokesperson told Gizmodo via email.

“With this in mind, we are temporarily prioritizing household staples, medical supplies, and other high-demand products coming into our fulfillment centers so we can more quickly receive, restock, and deliver these products to customers.”

[...]

New York state coronavirus cases soar to about 1,700, hospitalizing 19%

PUBLISHED TUE, MAR 17 202010:59 AM EDTUPDATED 15 MIN AGO

The COVID-19 outbreak in New York state has spread to about 1,700 people, hospitalizing 19% of them and killing at least 12, state officials announced Tuesday, adding that the number of cases will continue to rise as the state receives more test results.

The state is scrambling to expand its hospital capacity to handle an influx of cases before infections peak here, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said at a press conference in Albany. New York currently has 53,000 hospital beds and 3,000 ICU beds, far short of what state health officials are predicting will be needed, he said. They estimate the state will need between 18,600 to 37,200 ICU beds and at least 55,000 hospital beds at the peak of the outbreak across the state, which he predicted will take about 45 days.

“That, my friends, is the problem that we’ve been talking about since the beginning of this exercise,” Cuomo said.

The fast-moving virus has spread to more than 183,000 people across the globe, killing more than 7,100, since emerging from Wuhan, China less than three months ago. The number of cases changes by the minute. State officials are revising their data throughout the day, Cuomo’s spokesman William Burns said.

At the beginning of the press conference, Cuomo said the state had more than 1,300 cases with a hospitalization rate of 19%. New York state Health Commissioner Dr. Howard Zucker updated the numbers about 30 minutes into the briefing, telling Cuomo there were now around 1,700 cases across the state. Cuomo’s data, according to Burns, was current as of 6 a.m. and Zucker’s updated numbers will be revised later Tuesday.

106432696-1583768489780rts34fm1.jpg

I am frustrated because our leaders in my community hold a press confermce daily. There were several locations in which person with Covid19 came into contact with its congregations. If you didnt hear it and rewind it you would miss what they said. I still dont know which churches they listed. This is so critical for my business to know. We have contractors that need to know if they are exposed. I know we will all be exposed at some point but if the leaders are aware of these points they need to create a list for the public and small businesses. We have to be in the public and MAY interact with elderly at higher risk. I cant shutdown my business but I CAN work to prevent transmission if they'll share this valuable information instead of trying to hide it or minimize it. I want to protect those at higher risk and have measures in place to do that but give us the damn tools to be better if you have that information.

And W.H.O. telling our country to "test, test, test"? Okay WHO, with What, What, What? The testing kits are not even here yet. Sorry for the rant. I am obviously frustrated. I have family members at greater risk in the edlerly category as do many ppl, it is serious to me. (His lung capacity is already rolling at 60%, he isnt 70 yrs old yet)

Here's How to Keep Your Phone Clean — But Keep Washing Your Hands, Too
[...]

But how should you be cleaning your smartphone or tablet? And how worried should you be about catching or spreading a virus like COVID-19 via your trusty smartphone in the first place? Here’s what the experts say.

Studies have shown everything from staph to e. Coli can thrive on your smartphone’s glass screen. COVID-19, meanwhile, can survive on surfaces for anywhere from a few hours to over a week, depending on conditions.

If you’re in the mood to kill those germs, some alcohol can’t hurt. At least, it can’t hurt now, as companies like Apple have recently changed their position on using alcohol-based wipes and similar disinfecting products on their devices.

[...]

I'm feeling about the same as yesterday.
It's like I either have a mild cold or very bad allergies.
My muscles ache. My throat is sore and scratchy. My eyes itch and are full of crusty stuff when I wake up (gross, I know). My nose runs. It hurts when I take a deep breath and I cough if I do anything more active than walk to the kitchen for a cup of coffee. As I've said from the beginning, however, this may only be a very bad case of allergies. I'm allergic to everything that blooms in the spring.
All the trees are blooming where I live in the Southeast. It was beautiful on the way to get testing yesterday. Has anyone ever been to the Washington DC Cherry Festival? I see it's mostly canceled now but that's what the trees look like all around me: National Cherry Blossom Festival cancels and postpones events

My symptoms (except for the muscle aches and painful breathing) are cut in half by taking benedryl but that makes me sleepy so I haven't been taking it unless my symptoms get really bad. My DH seems to have slightly different symptoms. He is coughing continually, has a low fever and seems to have much more congestion than me. I worry he has it and I only have allergies and haven't developed it yet. Normally I get sicker than him when we both have something, but this is reversed and it's worrying me a little. My DH thinks he in invincible and will feign that he is feeling better than he is, but I can tell when he's feeling worse than I am.

We continue to sleep in separate rooms, keep our distance from each other in the house and avoid sharing things. I have given him medicine and brought him food and then washed my hands immediately after. I haven't kissed him since he developed a fever on Sunday and I think he's a bit miffed at me for that. LOL. I love him so much. But I can't risk getting what he has no matter what it is at this point. I have to stay the healthier one to take care of him.

I'm figuring that if he only has some upper respiratory illness and not CoV19 that we still won't be able to go to the hospital if that develops into pneumonia or bronchitis or something where we would normally go in for a simple x-ray. This CoV19 is going to forever change our health care system I think. We have to be able to care for ourselves in isolation at home. I feel like this is doable with our current symptom level. This feels like a mild flu or a mild cold or very bad allergies to me. And that may still end up being what we have. I can't repeat enough times that our symptoms are not too bad. If CoV19 was not in the news and shutting everything down we would go about our lives as normal coping with our symptoms with OTC remedies. My DH might have only taken 1 or 2 sick days at most. He is currently in his office working from home. He is upbeat and cracks jokes at me a couple times a day. He keeps singing this song:

Which is made all the more hilarious to me by the fact that we are teetotalers and abstain from all alcohol for a combination of personal and religious reasons. But I digress. In short, I think we will be just fine if we can keep laughing in the face of this strange new reality we have entered.
:):D:p:cool:

You are doing all the right things and that is a great attitude to have. We can only control the things we can.

These are unprecedented times and this "event" will go down in history as one of the most amazing events in our lives. I trust our scientists will eventually have a vaccine and that should help an awful lot once we get there. The therapys they are working on will also help in a short time.

In the meantime, I have been trying to listen, learn, make adjustments, and also trying to occasionally look and read the various comic relief that is out there. It helps to lighten the mood and realize that so much of this is out of individual control.

It is time for ppl to start taking our current situation seriously! I am so thankful for my tribe online and in my personal settings to get through all of this. My family and I have enjoyed the heavy hearted discussions at the dinner table while we continue to isolate ourselves. Hugs everyone :)

PUBLISHED TUE, MAR 17 202010:59 AM EDTUPDATED 15 MIN AGO

The COVID-19 outbreak in New York state has spread to about 1,700 people, hospitalizing 19% of them and killing at least 12, state officials announced Tuesday, adding that the number of cases will continue to rise as the state receives more test results.

The state is scrambling to expand its hospital capacity to handle an influx of cases before infections peak here, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said at a press conference in Albany. New York currently has 53,000 hospital beds and 3,000 ICU beds, far short of what state health officials are predicting will be needed, he said. They estimate the state will need between 18,600 to 37,200 ICU beds and at least 55,000 hospital beds at the peak of the outbreak across the state, which he predicted will take about 45 days.

“That, my friends, is the problem that we’ve been talking about since the beginning of this exercise,” Cuomo said.

The fast-moving virus has spread to more than 183,000 people across the globe, killing more than 7,100, since emerging from Wuhan, China less than three months ago. The number of cases changes by the minute. State officials are revising their data throughout the day, Cuomo’s spokesman William Burns said.

At the beginning of the press conference, Cuomo said the state had more than 1,300 cases with a hospitalization rate of 19%. New York state Health Commissioner Dr. Howard Zucker updated the numbers about 30 minutes into the briefing, telling Cuomo there were now around 1,700 cases across the state. Cuomo’s data, according to Burns, was current as of 6 a.m. and Zucker’s updated numbers will be revised later Tuesday.

106432696-1583768489780rts34fm1.jpg

Trump is on tv now saying we have "plenty" of respirators and equipment. I trust the doctors on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JerseyLizard