Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #29

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is tough....but he just put anyone who was within 6 feet of them at risk to DIE....Let that sink in.
We have to figure out new ways to do things. It is imperative.

I understand your concern and I definitely think all people should try to avoid the stores as much as possible. I’m a single mom. I’ve stocked up as best as I could, but if I have to go back to the store I’ll have my child with me. She’s too young to stay by herself and it’s not ok to send her to someone else’s house.
If she’s got it then I’ve got it. Same difference, we should all stay 6 feet from each other in the stores. We know going out to the store is a risk. If we follow the rules about distancing, covering coughs, no face touching, washing or sanitizing hands, then the risk is much smaller.
But don’t hate on parents with tough decisions to make- I don’t WANT to take her out in public. And don’t get super freaked out about kids because every person can be contagious before symptoms occur. Focusing on children will only increase stress and will not make you any safer.

Glastonbury cancelled June 24th-28th. No surprise really, but I really hope this is all nearly over by then. Sad for those who managed to get tickets (no mean feat!) but at least they have a guaranteed place for next year.

Glastonbury festival cancelled due to coronavirus

@Legally Bland soz mate, just saw you had posted this already. Hope you're well (waves across city!)

Last edited:
I understand your concern and I definitely think all people should try to avoid the stores as much as possible. I’m a single mom. I’ve stocked up as best as I could, but if I have to go back to the store I’ll have my child with me. She’s too young to stay by herself and it’s not ok to send her to someone else’s house.
If she’s got it then I’ve got it. Same difference, we should all stay 6 feet from each other in the stores. We know going out to the store is a risk. If we follow the rules about distancing, covering coughs, no face touching, washing or sanitizing hands, then the risk is much smaller.
But don’t hate on parents with tough decisions to make- I don’t WANT to take her out in public. And don’t get super freaked out about kids because every person can be contagious before symptoms occur. Focusing on children will only increase stress and will not make you any safer.
Thank you, I feel for you and my hats off to single mothers. Especially in a time like this when people don’t have the help that they need, and the world is just upside down.

Isn’t it weird when we get stuck on a song?

REM was playing when I drove to WMT—
Strange Days Indeed
And when I left John Lennon’s—
Nobody Told Me

You are forgetting that these parents may face charges and losing their children if they leave them home alone. Please, before you complain, check the law! Don't complain about the parents. Complain about the laws that force the parents to have their children accompany them while shopping.

According to the Illinois General Assembly, current state law says parents can face neglect charges for leaving children under the age of 14 "without supervision for an unreasonable period without regard for the mental or physical health, safety, or welfare of that minor.

Home Alone Rules by State - iMom

Are you saying single mom have no one that came watch their kids for an hour or two?

What a dangerous situation!!

If mom gets sick, the kids are at risk of being placed in foster care or a quarantine center. That's the outcome, I'm anticipating.

I'd being explaining that to my kids up front. Hey, we ain't got nobody, no friend or family and if I get get sick, you guys may have to go live with others while I get better. Of you (kid) gets sick I may not be able to visit you in the hospital cause I have to take care of your siblings.

It's time for those conversations with our kids NOW, rather than when EMS is taking them out on a stretcher.

Moo...single parents with NO ONE are going to be rare.

Moo....

Does anyone have any documentation that children are more contagious with this virus then adults? I would find that actually to be quite odd since hardly any children have been infected.

I don't think we are forgetting anything.
The current situation is dire.....THE HOSPITAL SYSTEM IS GOING TO IMPLODE ESPECIALLY IN ILLINOIS!!
PLEASE PEOPLE LISTEN TO THE WARNINGS!!

We can't choose to pick and choose what laws to adhere to and which laws to break. Please do not ask parents to do so, those who do not wish to risk seeing a child in public, must make the adjustment for themself.

If you do not wish to see a child in public, please stay home! Order what you need online!

i think we should restrict shopping by zip ( USA ) or post code ( Australia )

that way you don't have people like the douche who cleaned up all the anti bacterial roaming around hoarding products

this would ensure locals were getting to the stock and it would keep people to their own areas, stock levels would probably stabilize as well because right now people are going everywhere to find whatever they want and some people are visiting multi stores per day to get around restrictions

Most store have limits on essential listed. All my online grocery stores and Amazon have limits and restrictions for 2 only of most items.

So, one thing I’m keeping a very close eye on is WA. (As well as the other hotspots, NY, CA obviously...) but what I mean is, I consider “Seattle” and “Washington” like a “Wuhan” and “Hubei.”

Wuhan, Hubei was the epicenter. There were other areas for sure, Guangdong, etc. that had issues YES, however, what happened in that city ties to what Doc T talked about re: the importance of investing heavily in the epicenter (paraphrasing). We have a few “epicenters” here it seems, but Seattle is most certainly one moo. I believe I linked an earlier article on that, “Ground Zero” I think the article said.

I’m still behind on Monday’s Presser so not sure if any of the WHO docs referenced the US, but I certainly wonder if they’ll talk about the US today, perhaps via reporter question.

Just to add my opinion here - NYC is the one to watch closely right now - the population density is much higher, so the R0 factor will more than likely also be higher.

Does anyone have any documentation that children are more contagious with this virus then adults? I would find that actually to be quite odd since hardly any children have been infected.
I don't think children are more contagious. But my understanding they are less affected (show less symptoms) thus could be spreading it unknowingly.

I’ve been thinking about such things as well...

I was thinking about preordered/filled, boxed up, ready to go. Nobody goes in. Drive through...Other thoughts as well on this, as I have mentioned logistical concerns and mobilization previously.
I’m all for any move that protects the store staff. They must be mortified to have to work yet see so many blatantly disregard guidelines. I think our governor is about to tighten up and start enforcing. He’s played nice long enough. Moo

We can't choose to pick and choose what laws to adhere to and which laws to break. Please do not ask parents to do so, those who do not wish to risk seeing a child in public, must make they adjustment for themself.

If you do not wish to see a child in public, please stay home! Order what you need online!
So interesting, there was one journalist that wrote an opinion piece about how this could’ve been handled differently and I found it quite intriguing. His theory was that it would have been better to have the people who are at risk isolate themselves, rather than have our entire population turned upside down, the economy affected so greatly, etc.

of course optimally this “isolation” of high-risk people would’ve happened a month ago.... that and completely restricting travel. Travel has been the number one facilitator of spreading this virus.

I don't think children are more contagious. But my understanding they are less affected (show less symptoms) thus could be spreading it unknowingly.
I have read that, but nothing scientifically proven. In addition to that, I’ve read that adults can also not have symptoms and be carriers of the virus. I just don’t think we should marginalize parents and children because they are innocent victims in this whole situation as much as anyone

Post by Tripod (previous thread)-

My better half is past the age of 70, with a history of severe heart disease. He's been working, mostly part time hours, since he retired from his career. His current gig is working for a dealership group, delivering vehicles and doing car swaps all over the place. He thoroughly enjoys it and we do need the $ to supplement our SS. He's been driving through and to "hot spots" of CV and I worry. I also don't want him to bring it home. I wish he could stop for at least a few weeks, but we've lost so much of what was in our retirement funds, we feel there's no choice :(

I've been staying home, which isn't a hardship for me. I've got acres to roam and animals to play with.. It helps hearing of other WS's situations, worries and ideas here, so you're all appreciated!

IMO, he will get COVID-19 unless behavior is changed. These cars will not be disinfected, despite what he may be told. Which also means that you likely will get the virus.

I hope you balance the options. In a month, a hospital may not accept you if you are sick due to overcrowding or selective acceptance.

Please realize that things are different now and you need to get through this. Money is not that important. Stay isolated and hopefully you have someone to drop off food and meds etc in the coming weeks and months. Enjoy some time together and it sounds like you have a nice enough location.

Make some good memories!

Last edited:
I’m all for any move that protects the store staff. They must be mortified to have to work yet see so many blatantly disregard guidelines. I think our governor is about to tighten up and start enforcing. He’s played nice long enough. Moo
Well, ideally store staff should be issued PPE (gloves, masks, gowns) but my understanding we don't even have enough for medical professionals.

I have read that, but nothing scientifically proven. In addition to that, I’ve read that adults can also not have symptoms and be carriers of the virus. I just don’t think we should marginalize parents and children because they are innocent victims in this whole situation as much as anyone
But adults are far less likely to be running around the store touching everything in site. It's a lot harder to make children adhere to social distancing. I am not exactly fond of seeing children in stores at this time. They are sticking their hands into their mouth, touching their faces, touching other things. They and everybody else would be much safer if children were not in stores at this time.

This may have already been said in one of these threads, but it's probably best to assume that anyone you encounter when outside your home is carrying the virus. Not a pleasant thought...

We are staying home other than to pick up food and supplies we have ordered from local stores, but we could resort to having stores deliver to us. We are fortunate to be in an area with multiple grocery stores, including a Walmart. I have not ordered from Amazon or similar so far.

Let’s not turn on each other. If you are frustrated in this thread right now, please consider taking an hour breather. Make some chamomile tea. Step outside and take some deep breaths. Listen to Yo-Yo Ma. Whatever it takes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288