Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I learned (perhaps here?) the difference between 90% and 70% rubbing alcohol, with which my podiatrist was very impressed when I showed up yesterday, so thanks to that intrepid poster.

(For the record, the mystery is that 90% is good for cleaning soft stuff - clothes, stuffed animals, etc. - and the 70% is good for hard surfaces.)

Also, while it may be pricey, my local Whole Foods had lots o'food, and was not hurting for anything; so if you are in a pinch.

Someone on the KrazyCouponLady blog posted that they'd gotten a large haul at "Big Lots", which included lots of water and some spray Lysol, at minimum.
That is good to know on the alcohol as I was able to stock on both varieties. I've been using the 90% on hard surfaces. I will do it right now.

Reynolds announces Iowa COVID-19 cases up to 44, state had ability to test 400 6 new cases in Iowa today. Great article w/ alot of detail. Now back to telling age range and also know male or female as a whole. ETA-IMO, the 400 number is per day not total that could be tested and there is more than that listed as negative. I was listening to the press conference and am sure that is what she said. ETA-However, that does sound like a rather high number of tests available if per day, so I probably heard wrong.

Last edited:
See, this is why I worry so about restaurants, especially drive thrus. We have zero idea what any person handling our food is experiencing. Personally, eating out is one thing I can avoid, it never was thrilling for me. I always notice things, like the host opening the door, then touching menus, passing menus out some helping bus tables....back to the door to greet new patrons, handing menus out after handling dirty dishes,to then the customer is eating finger foods......absolutely disgusting.
Me too. I've seen them taking (as far as they know) untouched bread from my dinner and putting it on the next guy's order. It was on a bread plate the whole time, but geez. Waitressing was one of my first early jobs, I learned a lot. Eating in a restaurant is something I do about once a month. Won't miss it for a second.

Last edited:
This week in Colorado the number of cases that have tested positive for COVID-19 is as follows:

Sunday - 30
Monday - 29
Tuesday - 23
Wednesday - 33
Thursday - 61

The county I live in has the most cases and with this recent jump in COVID-19 cases I am wondering if I should stay in my apartment by myself or leave the county and stay in my truck camper away from people.

As the experienced armchair detectives / forensic psychologists / criminologists / scientists, etc. that we have naturally morphed into over time here together:

We have learned to have to think like the perp sometimes.

And this is a WAR moo.

Anyway yeah so naturally, to no surprise to me, I’ve started to think like the virus and it is like a military battle. It may be several battles. Moo.

Front lines etc etc.

My point:

If this virus had a brain, I’d consider it to be smart.

It uses the young and the strong and the “invincible” to help further it’s cause.

I realized something tonight when a younger friend ( “30ish”) made a random gift surprise delivery on my doorstep of some goodies, that they will also be carrying some torches. :)

Again I was so glad to see this addressed in the White House Conference.

The younger ones...:)

Anyway the biggest problem with this perp is that it is soooo highly highly contagious. Imo that’s the main problem here. It’s soooooo infectious.

Pass the chocolate crack, squirrel!!!

Last edited:
Thanks for that info.. good to know. We must be very very careful to analyze these corporate bailouts. The motives may not be in the best interests of the American people. No buybacks, no executive packages or pay... only bail outs to keep employees and infrastructure stable in this next 6 months. Maybe more.

Most of the employees are not United States citizens either.

Update on gas prices here in Northern Ohio....
$1.56
Also up to 119 confirmed cases.

I am at a loss on how many people I work with that don't understand the meaning of distance. I got scolded today by HR cause I had to firmly tell someone to get away from me. Seriously people...respect people's bubbles...lol.
Hope everyone is staying healthy.

Hope everyone is doing as well as they can.

JMO
One thought I have been having today is I really think scientists should try to figure out why certain "clusters" blow up. I have had a theory for some time now that there is something unique about when these clusters blow up. At bottom is an example of 31 people catching the virus just because they went to a wedding. That is a huge number of people catching it from one place in a short amount of time.

I have no idea what could be causing such a major cluster outbreak. I dont know if there is a certain strain that is more catching or if there is a medium like food or air ventilation or plumbing or something like that that could be causing some large breakouts. I do think certain clusters are occurring more than a typical person to person catching, and I think there is something unique about it that causes the cluster to blow up.

We have seen quite a few clusters now and some of them like the nursing home in Washington state they claimed was the vaporizing due to them using a bad method at first to help the patients breathe and were inadvertently putting the virus in the air. But even in that cluster I am not so sure anymore because we have seen other clusters breakout and it seems super contagious more than a typical person to person spread. I am leaning towards three possible things. Either a food source becomes infected and then is given to the people in the cluster or maybe the air ventilation systems that somehow gets piped into and out of all the rooms from an infected source, thus maybe sharing air particles from room to room. Or maybe even plumbing systems that can aerosolize the particles when flushing comodes or simply spraying water out a faucets nozzle with a stream that aerosolizes it. Or maybe even possibly a certain strain that is more contagious than others. Wait, that is 4 options. LOL I have no idea but I do think it is something that needs to be determined because I do think there is a common link in how the clusters are catching it so badly.

I think we have yet to figure out what is causing certain clusters to blow up.

This cluster in this news article below is an example of a mystery cluster. 31 people that attended a wedding ended up catching it. They could not have been there longer than 1/2 day or so and yet 31 people got it. That is a rather large cluster breakout. Something is unique about that IMO.

Im not convinced yet that it was simply person to person causing the big cluster outbreak. I think it is deeper than that and I think we will eventually find out something common that helped it spread within the clusters. Im leaning towards "some source" acted like a petri dish and had lots of the virus active in the source and then by some mechanism like ventilation or plumbing or food, it was then transmitted to the people in the cluster. So as the wedding guests all either breathed or ate or flushed toilets or ran sink water and lets say germs at bottom of sink got aerosolized, then something along those lines allowed the guests to become infected from the same "thing".

Anyway, its just a theory I have been mulling over for some time.

I hope scientists can figure it out because if they can and there ends up being a common thing about the clusters then that can go a long ways to prevent new clusters.

"A pregnant woman and member of parliament are among 31 people who have tested positive for the coronavirus after attending a wedding."

At least 31 wedding guests catch coronavirus from Sydney ceremony of Emma Metcalf and Scott Maggs | Daily Mail Online

I just got back from traveling out of town and I wanted to document so much to answer so many things, but let me just say right now it's my opinion. It is not Airborne in the way that chicken pox is. Chickenpox infects and has a very very high R0. All of the modelers and all of the statisticians have said that this cannot be in a true sense something that is Airborne. It is droplet infection. The media and even some of the scientists are trying to talk down to the general public when they say Airborne, but aerosols is not Airborne it is not the same thing. I'll do something about it tomorrow as far as trying to explain what I'm saying. Anyway, bottom line is that I just came back from 10 days away from home for a funeral. I will say that everybody was very very close. Everybody was very kissy and Huggy. Prime situation for spreading a virus thru respiratory droplets. Moo

My college-age daughter is taking this hard. It's a huge and unexpected disruption to college students lives. Huge. So many things cancelled and it feels like life was pulled out from under them. The uncertainty is overwhelming.

I know it's become a national pastime to criticize young people, looking at the poor representation of the generation on spring break, but there are literally millions of great kids who are dealing with some very heavy issues.

Let's remember them and guide them.

jmo

Well said! Same for us. We will be moving our college freshman out this Saturday. She has done so well being there and is very upset about the unknown. I just have to remind her that I understand how she is feeling and at least we aren't alone in this. It doesn't really make it any easier though.

Ah - well, there's part of the explanation for how Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties became CoVid-pumps.

I wonder if he was symptomatic.

My husband insisted on us buying LP's and DVD's, for ages. I continued argued against it (too hard). Ha.

We're in our 4th day of Grateful Dead concert albums - combined with some streaming from Amazon when it works. Otherwise, we've got a great screen saver on the TV and plenty of rock and roll.

Wine is great, but as it is my birthday weekend, I'm drinking gin and tonic (the quinine you know).
Happy Birthday!

Why are toilet paper companies running commercial campaigns on my tv now? I don't want to see any red or blue bears either shaking their clean behind. I'd like to get my mind off toilet paper pleeese.

I'm in between accounts, so I'm in a parking lot and may give redundant info.

Indiana schools are now closed until at least May 1.

I found toilet paper! *squeal* I'm temporarily in charge of paper products for 3 households so this made my day enough that I've momentarily stopped bawling because I miss my daughter and 2 young grandchildren. I'm also paranoid and covered the toilet paper with tablecovers I had in my SUV (I do farmers markets and such).
20200319_100356.jpg

I was coming home from an out of state funeral today and had to stop off at Walmart for just a second in the middle of my 6-hour trip, and look what I found! I bought one big one and I will share with my neighbors because I had prepared and have my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member