Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish that people I know shared your enthusiasm. Oh my.

I've worked in a public university for 40 years. And in some high schools. And in some private schools. First started teaching 45 years ago.

They are very sweet, but very uneducated and naive. I do not believe our youth are prepared for actual responsibility. They are very cute though.

They will rise. I don't need to list all the reasons and evidence, but just think about how different school was for us, vs. school for young folks in the years after that fateful day in Littleton, CO.

They will rise, if we teach them and help them in the process. If we don't condescend to them. If we don't assume that we know everything about them. If we respect youth culture, even when it bewilders us. If we act and speak in ways that show that we are putting the future - them -first. Ahead of our 401Ks and political tribalism. If we are real to them about the risks, and about the reward that just being alive offers. If we channel Elastigirl in her speech to her kids in The Incredibles :)

Last edited:
I have been hunting toilet paper for over a week and there is none to be found in my area. NONE. I'm down to three rolls and have absolutely no clue on what I'm going to do after those rolls are gone. I don't understand why there is no toilet paper being shipped and stocked in the stores. Puzzling.

kleenex, napkins, wipes?

SBM
I am at a loss on how many people I work with that don't understand the meaning of distance. I got scolded today by HR cause I had to firmly tell someone to get away from me. Seriously people...respect people's bubbles...lol.
Hope everyone is staying healthy.

LOL. Maybe you need one of these so they will respect your bubble:
5d541abc-aaad-4fb8-b46c-25b350b7a0ee_1.3ab7742106b136fc8ff3293a04da67d4.jpeg

https://www.walmart.com/ip/PVC-Infl...1&wl14=giant clear inflatable bubbles&veh=sem

I'm kidding, of course, but there are only 7 left! :eek:
Are we going to see people walking around in plastic bubbles next? :p:rolleyes:

I have been hunting toilet paper for over a week and there is none to be found in my area. NONE. I'm down to three rolls and have absolutely no clue on what I'm going to do after those rolls are gone. I don't understand why there is no toilet paper being shipped and stocked in the stores. Puzzling.

Have any old t-shirts? Cut em up moo.

For me, I will choose to attempt to be part of the solution moving forward.

MOO

Snipped.

I join you!!

I'm sick of the put downs of our youth.

Our job as elders is to guide them, not ridicule them <modsnip>

It's easy to find fault, but far more rewarding to help correct fault....and even more enjoyable is to encourage the right path.

<modsnip>

I join those who build up, not tear down. Thanks for being here - you inspire me.

jmo

Last edited by a moderator:
“Meanwhile, Politico reported on Wednesday that about 500 DHS employees are in quarantine because of the coronavirus with at least 13 confirmed cases. Politico obtained DHS documentation that showed these previously undisclosed numbers.

The 500 million respirator masks the president said the government ordered could take up to 18 months to be delivered according to the grant application, Bloomberg Law reported. There has been a mass shortage of masks among health care workers.”

Coronavirus Roundup: FEMA Now Leads the Federal Response

Double checking my source here

Ok cool
GovExec.com - Government News, Research and Events for Federal Employees

TAP WATER

As shoppers continue to clear shelves of bottled water, health officials and water providers are reminding the public that the risk of contracting coronavirus by using tap water is extremely low.

The federal Centers for Disease Control and the Environmental Protection Agency say conventional water treatment should remove coronavirus from municipal drinking water systems.

Coronavirus is particularly susceptible to disinfection and standard treatment, according to the EPA.

"As long as the treatment facilities work, I will be drinking tap water," said Dan Van Abs, a water supply expert at Rutgers University and a longtime member of the New Jersey Clean Water Council.
New Jersey tap water is low risk for transmitting coronavirus, experts say
IMO some people are afraid that utilities will go down so they're treating the pandemic like they would a hurricane, tornado or earthquake. I'd be shocked if we lost electricity or water treatment - the physical plants aren't in harm's way and can be manned with precautions in place.

NPR:

Known For Disaster Aid, FEMA Prepares For New Challenge With Coronavirus Relief

March 19, 20205:00 AM ET

gettyimages-1213280706_wide-8b51d2b314ee8960d8fb35f27d4289995eec9960-s600-c85.jpg

“President Trump announced Wednesday that the Federal Emergency Management Agency "now is fully engaged at the highest levels" in fighting the coronavirus pandemic. Trump says the agency is activated at level 1.

FEMA is best known for coordinating responses with state and local governments to natural disasters such as hurricanes and tornadoes. Responding to a pandemic is a different job for the agency.

"This is a very different kind of work for FEMA," Trump said, "but they will come through as they always do. We have tremendous people, tremendous talent in FEMA."

The agency is readying more than 50 teams to support states and territories across the country "as they activate their emergency operations centers and address the COVID-19 threat," a FEMA spokesperson told NPR.”

The cruise ships that the president says he wants to make "vibrant" are often registered in Panama, Liberia, etc, to avoid paying US wages, and a raft of other corporate cost saving reasons. Why should my US tax dollars bail out a Liberia-flagged ship?
"We have to help everybody,” Mr. Trump said at the White House. “It was nobody’s fault — certainly none of these companies that all of a sudden had no passengers, planes that had no passengers and cruise ships. They can’t be blamed for this. We want to keep those companies vibrant.”
Trump says $1 trillion coronavirus relief package will ‘help everybody’
Are you saying you object to a cruise line donating a cruise ship to the United States to use as a COVID hospital?

President Donald J. Trump Directs FEMA Support Under Emergency Declaration for COVID-19 | FEMA.gov

President Donald J. Trump Directs FEMA Support Under Emergency Declaration for COVID-19
Release date:
March 13, 2020
Release Number:
HQ-20-017
The federal government continues to take aggressive and proactive steps to address the COVID-19 threat as the health and safety of the American people remain a top priority.

Today, President Trump declared a nationwide emergency pursuant to Sec. 501(b) of the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act, 42 U.S.C. 5121-5207(the “Stafford Act”). This increases federal support to the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) in its role as the lead federal agency for the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic response. As a result of the President’s decisive, unprecedented action, FEMA is directed to assist state, local, tribal, territorial governments and other eligible entities with the health and safety actions they take on behalf of the American public. Today’s declaration does not make direct financial assistance available to individuals.

The emergency declaration does not change measures authorized under other federal statutes and HHS remains the lead federal agency directing the federal response to COVID-19. FEMA actions will be in support of HHS and in coordination with state, tribal and territorial governments. Eligible emergency protective measures taken at the direction or guidance of public health officials in response to this emergency, and not supported by the authorities of another federal agency, will be reimbursed strictly under the FEMA Public Assistance program. FEMA assistance will be provided at a 75 percent Federal cost share. Reimbursable activities typically include emergency protective measures such as the activation of State Emergency Operations Centers, National Guard costs, law enforcement and other measures necessary to protect public health and safety.

For more information, visit the COVID-19 Emergency Declaration Fact Sheet.

# # #

Military is coming in I hope MOO. Seriously. This is what I am hoping for and focused on. We will all be in lockdown and I hope they can deliver supplies, etc etc.

That’s what has got to happen and will happen MOO.

Remember everyone that every single day you’re out, you are taking a big risk.

This is highly highly highly infectious.
Totally agree that military needs to be involved. Damn, FL is finally closing down beaches. Do we think deputies will keep control of all that Florida Beach? National Guard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire