Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #31

Status
Not open for further replies.
They already did a study and cotton materials are best because they are breathable and do stop at least some particles. So people could be making their own homemade washable cotton masks (from cotton t-shirts). Cotton dish towels were best in stopping particles but they are hard to breath through.
Cotton tea towels, specifically. Other kitchen towels have too loose of a weave.

Coronavirus: Biggest rise in deaths in a day as UK total hits 177

The number of people who have died in the UK after contracting coronavirus has risen to 177 after England saw 39 more deaths - the biggest rise in a day.

It comes after a third person - a 71-year-old with underlying health conditions - died in Wales after contracting COVID-19, according to authorities there on Friday morning.

Northern Ireland also confirmed testing there had resulted in nine new positive cases, bringing the total number of confirmed cases in Northern Ireland to 86.

Took a long dog walk down the hill this morning.
Grocery store on Route 66 busy as usual at 8:15.
Stopped at mechanic as I had fender bender yesterday in the rain, going to the bank and butcher. He will be open Monday to drop my car off and I can walk home. I don't care how long he has it. I can disinfect it when I walk down when complete. Business as usual.
Heading back up the hill I saw the Menendez Brother's former lawyer Leslie Abramson in her garden. I complimented her plantings. She said she is telling everyone to grow - inside or outside, just grow something.
So I am going to plant my Persian cucumbers today.
Monrovia, CA observations.

ITALY - just keeps going up :(

20 March

Total cases: 47,021
New cases: +5,986
Total deaths: 4,032
New deaths: +627

Coronavirus Update (Live): 275,125 Cases and 11,186 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

View attachment 239393

View attachment 239394

Man.

I wonder what the highest numbers of cases reported in one day was in China. We followed them everyday but I can’t remember off the top of my head what that was.

And remember whatever that number is you can take with a grain of salt, moo.

Oh yeah there was that time when they changed to using a “clinical” diagnosis, then the numbers soared, then they changed that system again.

This is so terrible to see Italy. Just incredible and I fear for our future based on that.

That’s why it was SO important to heed what Doc T was preaching over and over about the “Window of Opportunity”.

These numbers are terrifying.

Those poor people in Italy.

I fear for the US (and other countries, UK, etc.).

See I’d have more hope if we would’ve locked things down earlier and people took it more seriously.

The last few weeks in the US of people out running around are going to account for a HUGE spike and multiplication factor MOO.

Man. Those are terrible terrible numbers.

How do those compare to China numbers?

Did we ever find patient zero in Italy?

I had surmised initially it could have been via cruiseship influx in Venice, etc...

I’d like to see a chart of everyone’s numbers over time if anyone has any handy, please.

Each country is different and has many variables as related to their case numbers, but remember Hubei had extreme and barbaric containment measures and they still had CV cases popping up for over 4 months.

We are just now more recently getting into stronger containment and mitigation phases...

We’ve lost a lot of time MOO.

Damn it.

Grrrrrrrrr.

Can’t cry over spilled milk, heck there’s not even any milk to cry over. (I do have a carton in my freezer though, there was no dried milk available.)

Last edited:
JMO
Remember the term "Trickle Down Economics" that has been thrown around periodically throughout the different times.

Im not sure if that is the right term for this, but I think we are seeing a form of that play out big time right in front of our eyes how certain decisions and certain things have a huge ripple effect on the economy and it ends up affecting many other businesses and many other people.

One of the things I have thought about is how the closures and self isolations keep more people at home and they end up needing more basic home supplies like regular old home foods and home supplies like TP. So besides the people stocking up out of concern, I feel there is a real larger demand now for these supplies which is now causing even more shortages.

All these sorts of ripple effects show us first hand how so many things are tied together and integrated within an economy.

ITA. While it’s obvious there are some selfish “hoarders” out there, I do believe that there is a legitimate need for increased use of certain things- like toilet paper, paper towels, bread, etc.

People who would have eaten out, used the bathroom throughout the day at work or school, etc are having to do all of this in their homes now.

I think the demand is real. I very much hope the supply chain can ramp up. It’s going to be a real problem if the empty shelves continue.

MOO

126 more cases of coronavirus confirmed in Ireland, bringing the total to 683

A FURTHER 126 new cases of Covid-19 in the Republic of Ireland were announced this evening by health officials, bringing the total number of cases to 683.

Three people diagnosed with the coronavirus have so far died in the Republic.

12 people with Covid-19 have been admitted to an Intensive Care Unit, representing 8.6% of all cases hospitalised. 29% of those in hospital from the disease are aged 65 or over.

Nine new cases were confirmed in Northern Ireland today, bringing their total number of cases to 86. So far one person with Covid-19 has died in the North.

The article called them dish towels.
Not sure what is the difference between dish towels and tea towels.
The article got more specific in content after calling them dish towels, and specified tea towels. A lot of people use terry dish towels, which are more absorbent than tea towels. But tea towels have the tightest weave. A regular terry dish towel would be worthless as mask fabric - loose weave.

Man.

I wonder what the highest numbers of cases reported in one day was in China. We followed them everyday but I can’t remember off the top of my head what that was.

And remember whatever that number is you can take with a grain of salt, moo.

Oh yeah there was that time when they changed to using a “clinical” diagnosis, then the numbers soared, then they changed that system again.

This is so terrible to see Italy. Just incredible and I fear for our future based on that.

That’s why it was SO important to heed what Doc T was preaching over and over about the “Window of Opportunity”.

These numbers are terrifying.

Those poor people in Italy.

I fear for the US (and other countries, UK, etc.).

See Id ha e some hope of we would’ve locked things down earlier and people took it seriously earlier.

The last couple weeks in the US are going to account for a HUGE spike.

Man. Those are terrible terrible numbers.

How do those colors to Chinese numbers?

Did we ever find patient zero in Italy?

I had surmised initially it could be cruise ship influx in Venice, wtc...

I’d like to see a chart of everyone’s numbers over time if anyone has one handy, please.

Each country is different but remember Hubei had extreme and barbaric containment measures and they still had CV for over 4 months.

We are just now more recently getting into strong containment and mitigation phases...

We’ve lost a lot of time MOO.

Damn it.

Grrrrrrrre

Been reading so grumbling over last couple days about Dr T. Jmo I don’t see it stopping any time soon.

China's relationship with WHO chief in wake of coronavirus outbreak under the microscope

China's relationship with WHO chief in wake of coronavirus outbreak under the microscope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998