Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #32

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone that has adult children has seen the loss of their innocent youth. It is so hard to witness just like when your kids realize the truth about Santa Claus. Being a parent is a never ending job and never ending worry.

WO, I would do the same thing. I would want my child and grand baby close by especially when they are sick. I have a son in DC and it is endless worry for me. I keep telling him you don't have to stay there, there is plenty of room in Alabama for you but he says no. Kids!!!

I just spoke with my 2 sisters today and asked them what they were telling their young adult kids. They all are just out of college, doing well, but with tons of student loan debt and expensive apartments and lifestyles. Half of our combined 14 children are out of work now and some not sure what to expect tomorrow and in the coming days. Do they save their cash? Worry about their credit card payments and credit score? Move home or in with family members? Just hard times and I can't send my children backup funds.
Kensie, sounds like you are in the same boat as I am. That big city of DC, you must be worried about your son as well! That is one fast moving life there compared to the slow easy and sweet home Alabama!

GoodNight now, I didn't sleep all last night-having "nightmares" I am actually finding it easier to sleep in the daylight. Crazy world.

Yes. Left work on Jan 21st feeling foggy, cold & worn down. Temperature was 101-104 for the next few days, with severe fatigue, chest pain, coughing, the feeling of fluid in my lungs and shortness of breath. Figured it was a bad flu and stayed home with Tylenol, NyQuil, mucinex and my regular rescue inhaler. Took about 5 days to really get out of bed and then everything made me tired. Finally went to urgent care the first week in February and got a diagnosis of atypical pneumonia and antibiotics (only doxy since I’m allergic to the zpak). 2 more visits later and I’ve finally got a clear X-ray but my left lung still “sounds funky” according to the doctor. So now on a combo steroid+long acting brochodilator which has helped quite a bit. I’ve got asthma and this was really different than any bronchitis, cold or flu that I’ve ever had. Several people I work with came down with the same thing at about the same time... I think a colleague picked it up at an investment conference near the beginning of January.

I hope you are recovering. You sound like you are getting better.

Last edited:
The problem I have is these idiots are going to make this drag out even longer.

I am early 30’s and I have already been home pretty much for 2 weeks apart from the post office and I only went in with nobody with in there with a hood over my mouth and face. I am literally climbing the walls already as it feels like prison but I have two elderly parents and I still live with one of them.

So the fact idiots are still out and about pretending like everything is ok and spreading it just means the people behaving sensibly are going to have to spend even longer at home due to the idiots who are not doing as they are told.

I don’t know what planet these selfish idiots live on but anybody who can see the suffering in Italy and still pretend like this is a big joke is beyond me.
100% agree.

Trump calls NBC's Peter Alexander a "terrible reporter" when asked message to Americans | ABC News

"Asked about their message to Americans who might feel scared amid the COVID-19 pandemic, Pres. Trump and Vice Pres. Mike Pence had very different responses for NBC's Peter Alexander"

Another example of me hitting the like button and wishing it was a, *wait, what?* button.
I think it was a valid and reasonable question - speaking for myself, most mornings I wake up bathed in terror.

CT - Update as of 3/20/2020:

Situation on the ground indicates more swabs are now being taken by private testing groups at various places throughout the State. No guarantee on turnaround time for results from private firms which is making people very nervous, long lines and unclear requirements to qualify for testing has resulted in widespread confusion. People are getting the message that testing could turn into an issue of 'the have's' vs. 'the have nots' and this is generating anger especially when people have symptoms and can't get tested.

State Lab remains a bottleneck and is only testing hospitalised individuals still and still hasn't been able to increase capacity due to insufficient number of trained staff. No word from Washington DC on whether additional testing kits have arrived from the CDC. Unclear what Washington Delegation of Senators Murphy and Blumenthal have done to get supplies, hospital beds and respirators and CDC testing kits to CT? At this point it sadly seems like the leadership of Gov. Cuomo in NY will possibly do more to keep the residents of Southern CT safe than anything coming out of Hartford unfortunately.

The US Senator's have done online Town Hall meetings over the past week but frankly very little substantive information was shared IMO which was hugely disappointing to many IMO. Given that surveillance testing isn't possible due to lack of resources it appears the general plan in CT is to try to contain people indoors to the extent possible, treat where possible in hospitals until resources and staffing are overrun and accept widespread deaths as inevitable. Its a very passive/reactive approach sadly IMO given that information has been available for months. None of the measures that were so effective in South Korea in terms of testing have been implemented in CT. Not sure why kits and testing can't be outsourced to South Korea if they are capable and the US firms can't get it together?

Poor/No preparation by Gov. Lamont and his team has IMO resulted in a toxic combustible situation for residents of the Southern Portion of the State where insufficient hospital beds and resources exist and plans to adjust and pivot appear unclear/undefined.

Sad situation overall regarding lack of social distancing and compliance with Multi State regulations, particularly amongst the young (hate to say it but the pictures tell the story). Situation that played out today in Darien where neighbor complaints shut down a drive through testing location summed up where most locals are COVID19 unfortunately. Its going to be hard to watch this situation play out as at this point there is little doubt based on the experience of other countries, how this tragic saga will play out.

Latest COVID-19 Testing in Connecticut
Last Update: March 20, 2020 | 3:30 p.m.

County Positive Cases
Fairfield County 122
Hartford County 29
Litchfield County 8
Middlesex County 5
New Haven County 23
New London County 1
Tolland County 4
Windham County 2
Total 194

CT - State Issued Call Today for Donations:

Donations of Personal Protective Equipment: The State of Connecticut has activated a framework for donations of PPEs. Members of the public, businesses, and philanthropic organizations that wish to donate these vital materials are asked to fill out the online form at 211ct.org/DonationsCOVID19.

United Way 2-1-1 of Connecticut will be working with the state to collect the input of donation requests and will ensure that donated items are appropriate for the needs of hospitals and long-term care facilities. The specific items being requested by the state at this time include:

• N95 Respirators
• Face Masks/Surgical Masks
• Face Shields
• Surgical Gowns
• Gloves (nitrile, or non-latex)
• Thermometers
• Thermometer Covers (if applicable to type of thermometer)
• Hand Sanitizer
• Other Medical Items

Last edited:
Five cruise ships that were allowed to dock in Sydney were infected with coronavirus

NSW Health has identified four cruise ships- the Ovation of the Seas, Celebrity Solstice, Ruby Princess, and Voyager of the Seas- as having confirmed cases of the coronavirus.

Five cruise ships that were allowed to dock in Sydney were infected with coronavirus | Daily Mail Online

All cruises need to be stopped indefinitely.

Seriously?

Unbelievable.

Actually not really.

People will still do things even after being warned not to.

I always liked this old time saying... "Worrying is just suffering, in advance".

A decade ago, I was going through one of the toughest times of my life.
On the first page of my journal, in bright pink ink, I wrote
“Worrying about tomorrow strips today of its joy”
I can’t tell you how many times I re-read that when I became overwhelmed.

Colorado confirms 86 more cases of coronavirus as total increases to 363
UPDATED: March 20, 2020 at 6:53 p.m.

“Colorado health officials confirmed 86 more cases of the novel coronavirus Friday, bringing to 363 the total number of positive cases in the state — a number that officials have acknowledged is still far below the actual number of infected patients.

Forty-four people are hospitalized from COVID-19, the highly infectious respiratory illness caused by the virus. Four Coloradans have died from the illness, including two people on Thursday.”

Fox 32 Chicago
SO CUTE! "Still taking time to play with grandpa" ❤️

90238082_10158955614563797_3663747823796486144_n.jpg

NEW JERSEY

New Jersey coronavirus victim who died was in his 30s, officials say as state death toll hits 11
Officials in New Jersey said one of the state's 11 COVID-19-related fatalities involves a man in his 30s from Essex County. Another death involved a man in his 50s from Bergen County, while four more of the victims are associated with a long-term care facility in the state.

Nine of out 11 victims had underlying health issues, including hypertension and diabetes, according to the commissioner of the state's health department, Judy Persichilli. The other two are still under investigation.

There are now 890 cases of the novel coronavirus in the state. The updated count and details surrounding the victims were announced in a press conference on Friday held by N.J. Gov. Phil Murphy.

[...]

Coronavirus Outbreak: Colorado ER Doctor Expects 'Tsunami Of Illness ... In About 9-10 Days'

“She said if the U.S. follows the curve of Italy, “I think the tsunami of illness is coming in about nine to 10 days.”

While she said her hospital is not yet rationing or running low on supplies, other hospitals and health care workers across the country have said their facilities are already running low on personal protective equipment, or PPE.

Critical equipment like face masks and shields, gloves and surgical gowns are already running low, well before the full impact of coronavirus is expected to hit.”

BBM:
“On Friday afternoon, State Rep. Alec Garnett announced a PPE drive this Sunday from noon to 4 p.m. at Empower Field at Mile High. Items will be given to Colorado hospitals. Organizers are asking for the following:

– Sterile and non-sterile gloves – unopened boxes, latex free preferred
– Hand sanitizer – unopened containers
– Bleach bottles or sprays – unopened containers
– Bleach wipes – unopened containers
– Isopropyl alcohol – unopened bottles
– Eye protections and goggles – unused in box or wrapper
– Clear face shields – these look like welders’ masks but are translucent, unused only
– Masks – tie, ear loop – unopened boxes only (no cloth masks)
– Respirator masks – N95, N99, P100 – all sizes in unopened boxes. Extra filters are also needed for these devices.
– PAPR respirators – 3M or MaxAir – unused. Hoods, filters, batteries, chargers, tubes to go with these units are also needed.
– Disposable gowns – unused isolation gowns
– Shoe covers – unopened boxes
– Biohazard bags – unused

Donors are asked to enter through Mile High’s J parking lot on the northwest side of the complex.

Dr. Ryan also suggested people shift their thinking, and simply assume everyone is infected with the virus and lives their lives accordingly by maintaining social distancing, wiping contact surfaces down in your home two to three times a day.

She said if you go to the grocery store, wipe down your credit card before and after paying. Wipe down your steering wheel and the groceries when you get home.

“It’s a smarter position to take,” said Ryan. “Why not shift to what we can do which is assume everyone has it and act accordingly, and then you will see this burn itself out better.””

Coronavirus Outbreak: Colorado ER Doctor Expects 'Tsunami Of Illness ... In About 9-10 Days'

-some content re: DIY masks at above link

Qmfr:
@dixiegirl1035 it just occurred to me—

Maybe Dr. Bruce’s report has surface transmission information..I never did review that report. Got distracted...

Dr. Sylvie said yes that surface transmission came back positive on tests at the Wuhan market.

To be clear I meant surface tests, not transmission zzzz

It's much worse for women and people under 60 in the US than it was in China - I don't know why.

I simply do not believe that China's numbers are accurate. As a matter of fact, I believe that they have grossly underreported the number of cases and especially the number of deaths. Hubei province alone has over 58 million people, almost 20 million more than the state of California (the US most populated state), but California land area is over twice the size of Hubei province. Regardless of their quick response and efforts to contain, there is just no way that the death toll is so low in such a highly and densely populated country, especially when seeing how things are playing out in other countries such as Italy. Unless there is more than one strain of this CV (one more virulent than the other(s) and/or it is mutating quickly. Or, more likely, China has just not been honest from the beginning about their numbers. IMO.

Singapore confirms first two fatalities

Singapore reported two coronavirus-related deaths on Saturday, marking the city-state’s first fatalities from the infection, Reuters reports.
The patients who died were a 75-year-old Singaporean woman and a 64-year-old Indonesian man, the health minstry said in a statement.

Japan coronavirus infections cross 1,000
Japan has recorded 1,016 cases of domestically transmitted cases of coronavirus as of Saturday, according to public broadcaster NHK, hitting a new milestone as the nation grapples with pressure to avoid a health crisis ahead of Tokyo Olympics.

The tally rises to 1,728 if 712 cases of infections from a cruise ship moored near Tokyo last month are included, according to NHK.

Thailand reports leap in cases
Thailand reported 89 new cases on Saturday, the largest daily increase in infections since the outbreak began, bringing the national tally to 411.

Coronavirus live updates: Singapore reports first two fatalities, deaths jump in Spain and Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni