GUILTY IN - Grandfather charged in cruise ship death of toddler Chloe Wiegand #9 *NO JAIL*

I'm still not convinced any of the video evidence definitively shows his head going out the window. So starting with the assumption he didn't realize the window was open is still the simplest explaination for why he placed her where he did.
The video clearly shows him leaning out the window. You can’t place half your body outside a window without realizing it is open. MOO

PSS As KSW has never seen fit to elaborate on what was sooooo important that she left sweet lil Chloe in the “care” of SA, it is my own mind wondering into dark places that I cannot help but wonder it it were not some sort of hand-off.

Appearances are important, are they not? Please do not fail to notice how Chloe wore soooo many headbands with bows.
Apparently appearances are everything. JMOO

I was quite tired when I read your post so my apologies if I misinterpreted your point.
I do agree with you on the bolded, that leaving Chloe in his care was bad judgment all around, unless it was planned that way which some of us believe is very possible.

And I truly did not mean any offense by my messages. I’ve enjoyed reading everyone’s comments on here, and appreciate the thoughtful commentary. This case just makes me so very angry. What a waste of a precious life.

There is nothing in any of my posts that would suggest that I am justifying neglect or abuse. I am stating my opinion based on situations and stories I have seen. I interpreted your original response as stating that reckless behavior is limited to younger generations, which I respectively disagree with. The purpose of my last post is to show that not even one month after Chloes death, a similar act happened on a cruise ship, however that baby was not dropped. To me, this demonstrates that no matter what safety measures the Wiegand family feels is lacking in RCCL ships, it will not impact the sheer stupidity of people, young and old. SA SHOULD have had enough common sense to not hold CW out of a window, but he did. This was his fault, and justice will never be served IMO.

BTW, I may be a new poster, but I have been following this case since July. I joined this site primarily because of this case, and to keep up on other recent cases. I am a mother of small children, and this case horrified me. To me, this entire incident happened because of the neglectful actions of all of the adults on this trip. All I did was post my opinion on what MAY have been his intent when he put CW out the window. My follow up post was just to show that people of all ages can and do make appallingly bad decisions. We just only hear about the ones with tragic outcomes.
Welcome!
I understood your meaning. There are reckless adults (of all ages) all over the place, bringing their thoughtless actions with them into novel situations. That photo you attached is hair-raising. Now, multiply that scene to account for all of the idiots out there in the world engaging in similar types of behavior who have not been captured in photos/videos.

I wish there were some way to identify these fools before they are allowed in public spaces. If that tool were available, and RCCL failed to use it, that's the only possible way they could be held responsible for Chloe's death. IMO

And I truly did not mean any offense by my messages. I’ve enjoyed reading everyone’s comments on here, and appreciate the thoughtful commentary. This case just makes me so very angry. What a waste of a precious life.
Absolutely no offense taken, shood77. What happened in this case was so horrific that it still seems unfathomable to me. And yes, makes me very angry, and I know many others here also.
With the parents defending SA and denying that he is the one responsible for Chloe’s death, then filing suit and blaming the ship, that makes it all the worse.

And btw, welcome to Websleuths!

Welcome!
I understood your meaning. There are reckless adults (of all ages) all over the place, bringing their thoughtless actions with them into novel situations. That photo you attached is hair-raising. Now, multiply that scene to account for all of the idiots out there in the world engaging in similar types of behavior who have not been captured in photos/videos.

I wish there were some way to identify these fools before they are allowed in public spaces. If that tool were available, and RCCL failed to use it, that's the only possible way they could be held responsible for Chloe's death. IMO

I would expect this wreckless behaviour from a drop-kick drug effected morons found near methadone clinics or sitting drunk in gutters. What surprises me is that the parents are well educated and, should be, smart people expected in their professions. Surely they had an inkling that grandpa was not the full quid or maybe they thought nothing could possibly happen in such a supervised environment in such a short time frame.
The unthinkable happened. The kind of thing that happens behind closed doors just before child protective services arrive to take a poor bruised and beaten child away from a dangerous environment.
I just don't get the disregard to a precious darling girl's life.

I found the Facebook post. It was dated in August 2019.

Holy hell that photo makes my chest hurt. WTF is wrong with people doing that to a small child?? Those little legs just dangling over open space like that...

I get not saying anything at the moment and risking scaring him into dropping the kid, but for gods sake chase that man down and give him an earful. There is no reason that baby needed to be over the rail and if he did it once he'd do it again. Thank you for finding that post but jeez

I found the Facebook post. It was dated in August 2019.

84e930bd-ad70-41e3-8dbb-13bf7a66bfa8-jpeg.239534

ARGHHHHH !!!
I'm noticing his right elbow is back towards his side like SA's was, interesting.

Holy hell that photo makes my chest hurt. WTF is wrong with people doing that to a small child?? Those little legs just dangling over open space like that...

I get not saying anything at the moment and risking scaring him into dropping the kid, but for gods sake chase that man down and give him an earful. There is no reason that baby needed to be over the rail and if he did it once he'd do it again. Thank you for finding that post but jeez

I would've taken that photo and reported him.

Schedule for the civil trial:

SCHEDULING ORDER SETTING PRETRIAL CONFERENCE AND TRIAL DATES Case No. 19-25100-CIV-GRAHAM/MCALILEY
Filed 3/13 9 Pages

*I'm not going to post the full document because it's mostly instructions for the lawyers and isn't really pertinent to our interests here, but it is document #37 on the docket here. I can provide links if anyone is really curious about it but trust me, it's very dull compared to the spicy filings we were previously seeing between the parties. Here are the meat and potatoes, snipped for brevity:

From Page 1:

"1. The trial of this cause is set and placed on the two-week trial calendar beginning December 21, 2020.

2. The pretrial conference will be held telephonically at 2:00 p.m. on November 18, 2020. 1

3. The call of the calendar will be held telephonically at 2:00 p.m. on December 16, 2020.1"

Page 7-9

"The following timetable shall govern the pretrial procedure in this case. This schedule shall not be modified absent compelling circumstances.

March 30, 2020 Deadline for Amended Pleadings and Deadline to effectuate service on joined parties.

August 28, 2020 Deadline to exchange expert witness information pursuant to FRCP 26(a)(2). Only those expert witnesses who have been properly identified and who have exchanged information in compliance with FRCP 26(a)(2) shall be permitted to testify.

September 9, 2020 Deadline to exchange rebuttal expert witness information pursuant to FRCP 26(a)(2). Only those rebuttal expert witnesses who have been properly identified and who have exchanged information in compliance with FRCP 26(a)(2) shall be permitted to testify.

October 9, 2020 All discovery must be completed.

October 16, 2020 All Pretrial Motions, Memoranda of Law, Motions to Strike Expert Testimony/Daubert Motions must be filed.

October 30, 2020 Deadline for all responses to motions (including responses to motions for summary judgment).

November 6, 2020 Deadline for all replies to motions (including replies to motions for summary judgment).

November 13, 2020 Joint Pretrial Stipulation must be filed.

November 27, 2020 Deadline for pretrial Motions in Limine.

December 4, 2020 Deadline for oppositions to Motions in Limine.

December 11, 2020 Jury Instructions and Verdict Forms or Proposed Findings of Fact and Conclusions of Law and Proposed voir dire questions."

Wow Kindred! You are priceless!!

So.... if witness testimony and discovery, particularly the HD video viewed on the proprietary software, supports what we here on WS have been claiming all along.... that SA is solely responsible for the death of CW, then on November 6 a summary judgement for dismissal should be rendered by the court. God willing.

I really would hate to see this lawsuit go to a jury because then there would be a remote chance the Wiegands would receive a financial settlement.

March 30, 2020 Deadline for Amended Pleadings and Deadline to effectuate service on joined parties."

The “joined party” - could that be SA? I recall a post long ago where a member mentioned that RCL could somehow force SA to participate as a co-defendant. So SA would be a party to the law suit, not just a witness who got subpoenaed. Or something like that. Any thoughts on whether that might happen?

Wow Kindred! You are priceless!!

So.... if witness testimony and discovery, particularly the HD video viewed on the proprietary software, supports what we here on WS have been claiming all along.... that SA is solely responsible for the death of CW, then on November 6 a summary judgement for dismissal should be rendered by the court. God willing.

I really would hate to see this lawsuit go to a jury because then there would be a remote chance the Wiegands would receive a financial settlement.

Given the dire financial straits that RCI will be in due to COVID-19 crisis, I seriously doubt that Chloe's parents will see a dime.

Given the dire financial straits that RCI will be in due to COVID-19 crisis, I seriously doubt that Chloe's parents will see a dime.
I also was pondering the virus' effect on this lawsuit. Not sure if RCL would become more inclined to settle just to get this distraction behind them so they can focus on surviving. Or if (I hope this doesn't happen) bankruptcy occurs, what would that mean?

Also I wonder if RCL would have an insurance policy that covers a payout should this get that far?

OT/Related: The U.S. Stock Market Crash Will Bankrupt These 3 Companies

Coronavirus is plauging the stock markets, pushing Royal Caribbean Cruise, American Airlines and Occidental Petroleum close to bankruptcy.

No Bailout Coming for Royal Caribbean Cruise
Having lost more than half of its value over the past year, Royal Caribbean Cruise bounced back Tuesday on hopes of a bailout. But President Trump’s assurances to cruise line companies won’t matter for Royal Caribbean...

The company’s debt has surged since 2015. A coronavirus-driven slowdown has killed the industry, making servicing the debt almost impossible. With no bailout in sight, bankruptcy looks inevitable for Royal Caribbean...

Whew! I am finally caught up. Thank you all for the information and thoughtful posts! I was on Royal Caribbean's Adventure of the Seas from 2/29 to 3/8., When I got off the ship, all of the cancellations hit. I've been drowning in work ever since, so this is my first chance to post since returning home. While I was on the ship, I did try to lean out the window. I'm 5'4. I could not lean out the window, but my face came right up to where the glass would be. I also measured the distance from the innermost edge of the railing to the outer edge of the windowsill. It was 16". (I actually carried a tape measure around in my backpack all week. lol) The windowsill seemed even closer than I remembered. IDK how tall SA is. With all of that said, I maintain my opinion that there is absolutely no way he thought there was glass there.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eagerhuntress
Back