Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #33

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/03/22/coronavirus-latest-news/
[...]

6:41 a.m.
FEMA chief declines to give detailed timeline on when more masks will be delivered
FEMA Administrator Peter Gaynor said Sunday that the federal government is shipping protective masks to health-care institutions amid the intensifying coronavirus pandemic, but he declined to give details on the timing.

“They have been shipping. We’re trying to focus those shipments on the most critical hot spots in the country. … They’re shipping today, they shipped yesterday, they’ll ship tomorrow,” Gaynor said on ABC News’s “This Week.”

Asked whether health-care systems will be overwhelmed before the masks arrive, he declined to answer directly, saying only that the government is “prepared to go to zero in the stockpile to meet demand.”

[...]

Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer (D) also criticized the federal response, saying “lives will be lost” because of the lack of urgency from the White House in the initial stages of the pandemic.

“We need the federal government to get us those test kits. We need PPEs. … It would be nice to have a national strategy,” Whitmer said on ABC News.

[...]

Question. I cannot figure this out. Who is producing test kits for use in the US? There are over 300 million people in this country. I don't see how we can test everyone right away, numerous times, right now. I get the feeling some people want everyone tested immediately. I don't understand how that's possible. Constructive help please. Jmo

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/polic...rench-at-home-as-macron-has-ordered-1.5504458
''Police checks, fines fail to keep all the French at home as Macron has ordered

'Parisians seemed to be acting as if there was nothing to worry about,' says frustrated government aide'

Like soldiers under guard, Parisians and the French in general are confined to barracks. To step outside, residents like me need to arm ourselves with Interior ministry certificates downloaded from our computers, filled out and signed — one each day.

We are limited to shopping at nearby stores, going to the pharmacy, going for a walk with or without a dog, or going to work. That last requires further proof of need from the company.

And so, tentatively, I go out. The surrounding streets are quiet, but not empty. But those on the sidewalks look hesitant and keep a safe distance from passersby. Unlike in parts of London, or Canada, there is toilet paper in stores.''

''There was disbelief in government offices. "Parisians seemed to be acting as if there was nothing to worry about," one aide to the prime minister said. This on a day when the number of infected in France stood at 5,423 with 127 dead.''

Question. I cannot figure this out. Who is producing test kits for use in the US? There are over 300 million people in this country. I don't see how we can test everyone right away, numerous times, right now. I get the feeling some people want everyone tested immediately. I don't understand how that's possible. Constructive help please. Jmo
Good question! The other issue is, each test requires the person administrating the test to use gloves, gowns and masks for each patient. We are already low on that stuff. This article mentions the PPE and testing issue. It was also mentioned during the White House press brief yesterday.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...navirus-testing-strategyshift/?outputType=amp

As I flipped my TV on a moment ago a doctor interviewed by Wolfe Blitzer said the “happy talk” by the administration needs to stop. MOO
If the show replays I’ll get his name.
I totally agree & as I said last night, my Governor needs to stop it already. He addresses us like he’s addressing an elementary class, imo. When he begins his daily PC with jokes and irrelevant photos, he’s sending a distinct message that things are not serious, imo.

Some good news, my daughter is still working at a store, and the owner of the store is now catering employees meals. They get boxed breakfasts, lunches, dinner and boxes to take home for meals on days off.

Apparently the store owner teamed up with a caterer to provide this service.

I can see more stores offering benefits for young healthy workers, to keep them working, and to not lose them to other employers.

Coronavirus symptoms: what are they and should I see a doctor?
What are the symptoms this coronavirus causes?

According to the WHO, the most common symptoms of Covid-19 are fever, tiredness and a dry cough. Some patients may also have a runny nose, sore throat, nasal congestion and aches and pains or diarrhoea. About 80% of people who get Covid-19 experience a mild case – about as serious as a regular cold – and recover without needing any special treatment.

About one in six people, the WHO says, become seriously ill. The elderly and people with underlying medical problems like high blood pressure, heart problems or diabetes, or chronic respiratory conditions, are at a greater risk of serious illness from Covid-19.

In the UK, the National health Service (NHS) has identified the specific symptoms to look for as experiencing either:

• a high temperature - you feel hot to touch on your chest or back

• a new continuous cough - this means you’ve started coughing repeatedly
As this is viral pneumonia, antibiotics are of no use. The antiviral drugs we have against flu will not work, and there is currently no vaccine. Recovery depends on the strength of the immune system.

Should I go to the doctor if I have a temperature or a cough?
No. In the UK, the NHS advice is now that anyone with symptoms should stay at home for at least 7 days. If you live with other people, they should stay at home for at least 14 days, to avoid spreading the infection outside the home. This applies to everyone, regardless of whether they have travelled abroad.

I wish I could help, and I hope someone else will. We are hearing from administration officials that you shouldn't get a test if you don't have symptoms. Heard today from FEMA administrator Gaynor that they are unable to give us numbers on things like masks. Brett Giroir (HHS) at yesterday's conference said he would like to persuade reporters not to ask for specific numbers about tests.

Last edited:
Day by Day Breakdown of the Illness

"Day 1: Patients experience a fever and may also experience fatigue, muscle pain and a dry cough. A small minority may have had diarrhea or nausea one to two days before, ... 'Yet it was so mild to begin with, I barely gave it a second thought.'

Day 5: Patients have difficulty breathing – known as dyspnea – if they are older or have a pre-existing health condition. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says that symptoms that occur two to 14 days after exposure are fever, cough and shortness of breath .... about 10 per cent experienced diarrhea and nausea a couple of days prior to development of fever and dyspnea.

Day 7: At this point patients showing signs of dyspnea tend to be admitted to hospital. CDC advises that anyone with emergency warning signs for COVID-19 – persistent chest pain or pressure, shortness of breath and bluish lips or face – should get medical attention.

Day 7 is also the point at which for the vast majority of patients – about 85 per cent – that symptoms start to diminish and coming out of isolation is a possibility, the second study claims. ...

Day 8: Patients with severe cases develop signs of acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) at this point, where the lungs can't provide the body's vital organs with enough oxygen. 15 per cent of cases reach this point, according to the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention.

Day 10: Patients with worsening breathing problems tend to be entered into an intensive care unit at day 10. The second Wuhan study also said it observed that the average hospital stay was 10 days.

Day 12: Fever tends to end at around this point, according to the first Wuhan study. The average duration of fever – an early sign of COVID-19 – was about 12 days, but a cough associated with the illness may stay around for longer, they said.

In survivors of the disease, dyspnoea would cease after about 13 days, while the average time to death was 18.5 days."​

Day-by-day breakdown of coronavirus symptoms | Daily Mail Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member